Not open for further replies.

keith

Staff member
Jan 22, 2003
Beaverton
www.beavertonflorists.com
State / Prov
Oregon
While I am very encouraged by the new members signing on. They seem to taking a huge part of the forums space. Is there an way to make them more relevant? Perhaps listing them by region so if we may know them we may comment relevantly? How about a New member category? I would love to have a near 100% nationwide membership but just not bog down the new thread post with all of them. Not b@@@@ing, just trying to move us to a larger forum.
BTW, "Welcome" to all the new members, if I recognize you I will note if not, sorry, not a snub, I don't have or take time to comment on every one. This forum is not a secret society, you can call yourself whatever you want, just don't be shady on who you really are (public profile)!
Also a indication of where they are from would help decipher whether I should spend time viewing them to comment.

Nice to see this forum gaining some momentum!
Cheers,
Keith

To expand on what Keith said, here's an example of a forum that I think is real easy to navigate and you don't have to waste time reading things you're not really interested in. It's set up quite a bit like flowerchat already:
http://forum.canadianparents.com/ubbthreads/

Not b@@@@ing, just trying to move us to a larger forum.

Keith
Huh???

Trust me, Vbulletin and FlowerChat are capable of handling 10 times what we have as a current membership.

New Members initial posts are all grouped in one forum, easy enough to avoid them all if you wish.

As the membership grows, and the numbers of posts increases, it's taking the Admins many hours a day just to read everything, yet alone comment...we're very thankful for the new members, but even more so for those that take the time to vet each one!!

:yourock:

Keith,

I have a couple suggestions that may help you.

First, through your control panel, you can select forums to ignore. While I strongly encourage members not to ignore the new member forum, it is an option.

Secondly, if you want to mark any single forum as "read" you can easily do so by double-clicking on the folder icon for that forum in the main forum view (www.flowerchat.com/forums/)

This post coincides nicely with a change that I am hoping to be able to implement soon. We're programming a script that will move intro threads for approved members into a secondary forum. This way, the New Member Intro forum will always have only members that still require approval. I wanted to have a method that will not delete or close the thread, as often there is still relevant discussion ongoing, but highlight users who need more votes.

More on this once it's in place.

Ryan

First, through your control panel, you can select forums to ignore. While I strongly encourage members not to ignore the new member forum, it is an option. Ryan

I guess I'm a dummy...can someone please tell me how to do this? I looked in CP and saw how to ignore members but not forums. HELP!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.