Status
Not open for further replies.

briparke

Pro Member
Mar 17, 2006
Perry
State / Prov
Iowa
I don't presently have a website and am wondering what a person could expect to pay for development and maintenance of a website. Not interested in cookie cutter but am watching my $$$$$. Any suggestions.

Here's the answer I gave to a similar question in this thread.
That's a really tough question to answer since there are a number of factors to take into account.

1) Does the site need to interface with your POS system? If so, your options for companies from which to choose may be limited. Your POS provider can tell you the companies that have shopping carts compatible with their system.

2) Do you have the time and knowledge to maintain the site after it's up and running. Just like merchandising you store, your site needs to be updated at least seasonally to get the most benefit. If you have neither the time nor knowledge, part of the price consideration must include ongoing maintenance fees.

3) Does the webmaster provide assistance with marketing and/or SEO? If so, how much assistance and at what price. Do his/her current sites place well in search engines for their targeted keywords?

4) Do you already have web-ready custom product images? If not, creating these (as well as the product descriptions) will take time and money. Again, the cost will depend on how much you can do yourself.

I know florists that have initially invested more than $50K for sites that have done poorly as well as some than spent less than $1K and do really, really well. Depends on the appeal of the site as well as the prevailing competition for your keywords.
Nearly every 'cookie cutter' site can be heavily customized to create a distinct image for your store. The benefit of using a template is that the basic structure is in place so you really can focus on the content - products, categories, informational articles and other details about your business. The cost is much lower than that of a custom-developed site.

Starting off with a template is kind of like buying a model home where you only really need to work on the furnishings before moving in. Typically, custom sites, like custom homes, require far more initial time and investment to get going.

A few companies specialize in building and hosting florist sites:
http://www.media99.com/
http://www.digitalthoughts.com/
http://www.toolboxcommerce.com/
These basic templates start for as little as $500.

Other products - like Yahoo's building/hosting packages seen here http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/featuredsites.php - aren't specifically designed for florists and require a lot more work to look distinctive. Two examples are Oberer's and Everyday Flowers.

At least one florist-specific company has a fully-enabled e-commerce and marketing package that starts at $35K.

As you can see, the cost depends on how much you expect the site to do and how much of your own time you're willing to invest.

For starters, try and get your URL (website name) reserved now so it's ready to go when you are. You can do that for as little as $7.95/year through Infinite's (your FlowerChat host) site, http://www.rkfdomains.biz/ .

briparke said:
I don't presently have a website and am wondering what a person could expect to pay for development and maintenance of a website. Not interested in cookie cutter but am watching my $$$$$. Any suggestions.

If you prefer a stingy approach, here's the cost involved.

1) Web hosting.
Someone has to "host" your web site. Usually only $10-15/month. This will give you a basic web site where you can introduce your store. If you want to actually sell something on your web site, you need a site capable of e-commerce. $30 and up/month.

2) Development.
If you do it by yourself (like I did), you don't actually pay anything but need a lot of time and energy, as I'm not a programmer. The plus is that you have a total control of the site. The minus is that you web site won't look as good nor efficient as the one made by a pro.

If you decide to hire someone, here's roughly what they are going to cost you, assuming that you have all the texts and pictures ready.

a) A college kid who has no job: $100 and up
b) A web programmer who has never done any real job: $1,000 and up
c) A real web-site developer: $4,000 and up

The bottom line: you will get what you paid for. So ideally, I think you need to hire a real pro to develop your web site. In a long term, it pays off. But if you are short of cash (like we were) and really want to have a site right now, there's no other choice but hiring an "unlicensed" "uninsured" person, like yourself or some kid who has nothing to do.

If you ever hire a college kid, however, make sure s/he understands this concept called "deadline". Most kids these days don't have this concept, at least in our area. Make sure they understand that "I have to hung out with my buddies till 3 in the morning, so I didn't have time to finish work" isn't a valid excuse to miss the deadline. Also, never hire a friend or someone related to you, because you can't fire him/her.

Do you need a shopping cart? (e-commerce)

The other part of your problem is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) . You can have the best website out there, but if people can't find it then it is no good.

When you say, you are watching your money, how much ball park? Under $500 under $2500? With a budget, we can give you better help.

I see you are in Perry and when I Google, Perry Iowa Florist there isn't one independent florist website that comes up in the top 10. TF has there site, with a TF florist page for a Perry Florist "Hartman Floral & Greenhouses" but it's one of those tacky cookie cutter sites with the signature cookie cutter sickness WS push. So I don't blame you for not choosing one of those stale templates.

So from judging at what I Goggled, it shouldn't cost you much for SEO, at this day in time. Maybe you can start by not having a shopping cart, this will lower your monthly payment and the cost to implement one. Try to buy professional flower pics. This is where I would suggest you to spend your money. Cathy posted something somewhere awhile back with a few places you can buy them at.

First do what Cathy said, get a website name registered. Once you get your site up, one thing that I found that helps my ratings is linking local pages to my site and having them link back to me. There are lots more tricks, Mlou is great at this and her fee is too low. :)

goldfish said:
If you decide to hire someone, here's roughly what they are going to cost you, assuming that you have all the texts and pictures ready.

a) A college kid who has no job: $100 and up
b) A web programmer who has never done any real job: $1,000 and up
c) A real web-site developer: $4,000 and up
How about a "florist"? Under $500.00 and less than $30.00/mo hosting;)

And you control.....

BOSS said:
How about a "florist"? Under $500.00 and less than $30.00/mo hosting;)

And you control your catagories, products, descriptions, prices.....your destiny. In know my customers....and I know that 85% will only spend $29.95 or less (depending on how many Secretaries they are purchasing for...yes we still you that word with the new term in our marketing....) for Profesional Secretaries Week. http://www.mcadamsfloral.com/default.aspx?s=10&c=U21

Next week I have a Secretaries Week banner that will go up and replace what I have now....I do that myself by just hitting "browse" and click on the Sec banner image on my hard drive.

Lastly, there are florist websites templates for sale that you do not have to pay a per order fee which can ad up in a hurry. Would you pay a company to re-arrange you storefront window for 8 major/minor floral holidays/seasons, with products they want to sell, and pay $60/month + tax and $2.95 for each and every order that leaves your shop?

How did you do that!

Clay
Is this something you did or did Digital Thoughts do this for you? Think its a great idea. We also are with Digital thoughts and like the ease in which one can add and delete items, change pricing and have complete control of what the site includes. ANd the best is You Own It its yours.

Do what?

rich said:
Clay
Is this something you did or did Digital Thoughts do this for you? Think its a great idea. We also are with Digital thoughts and like the ease in which one can add and delete items, change pricing and have complete control of what the site includes. ANd the best is You Own It its yours.

Hey Rich- Just got back in town and maybe I am not thinking clearly....did Digital Thoughts do what for me? Man, I really like all of the images of YOUR product on YOUR website.... http://www.floristfountainvalley.com/ ......I need to be more like you.

I was refering to the new Sec Banner if you designed it or did DT do it?. Will it replace the Say it with Flowers you now have.
This idea is a great placement to draw more attention to the up comming holidays or events on ones site.
I just replaced ours with the 4 closeups of flowers- we are using this pic on a new thankyou postcard we have done.

I got ya...

rich said:
I was refering to the new Sec Banner if you designed it or did DT do it?. Will it replace the Say it with Flowers you now have.
This idea is a great placement to draw more attention to the up comming holidays or events on ones site.
I just replaced ours with the 4 closeups of flowers- we are using this pic on a new thankyou postcard we have done.

Most of the time it is the kids (OK...two are in their 30's, one in his 40's) at flowershopmarking.com that helps me out on my graphics (if anybody ever needs some graphic help...these guys are pretty good) but in this case it was my 20 year old son. Basically Jared modified a 1996 Secretaries cartoon ad for me to use as the website banner .....and the kids were busy paying with someone else at that time...... Rich, I will send it to you and Boss to see if you want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.