On new member applications

RWK

Jun 3, 2007
San Antonio
State / Prov
Texas
Got a small suggestion Ryan, On the new member apps, Is there a way to hold off the 'approved member' status until a new applicant has more than 1 green rep dot......say up to three/four green dot reps?

That way, that gives a little time for vetting questions to be asked and gives the new applicants a little time in getting to the board to answer the questions.

Rick, lately most new members have been approved before I even get a chance to see the application. It's frustrating in more than one way.

Or maybe just drop this elitist crap which does little more than give some needy little people with little to no life an imaginary power trip. Just block non-florist troublemakers as they pop up. Probably be easier and more effective.

Or maybe just drop this elitist crap which does little more than give some needy little people with little to no life an imaginary power trip. Just block non-florist troublemakers as they pop up. Probably be easier and more effective.

And how do you propose to "block non-florist troublemakers?" There are lots of people who call themselves "florists" and in fact are not.

If the board is open to everyone why even have it? There are lots of professionals on here that wish to converse with their peers within the business community and not the public in general.

Got a small suggestion Ryan, On the new member apps, Is there a way to hold off the 'approved member' status until a new applicant has more than 1 green rep dot......say up to three/four green dot reps?

That way, that gives a little time for vetting questions to be asked and gives the new applicants a little time in getting to the board to answer the questions.

Ricky,

That's exactly how it works now.

Members vote by giving positive rep points, and when an applicant reaches a certain threshold they are approved. If applicants are getting approved quickly, it just means that enough current members are voting in a timely fashion.

Having said all of that, I have been planning an announcement for today that does relate a bit to this subject. Today's announcement will be heavier on concepts and light on facts, as the facts are being solidified.

That's exactly how it works now.

Members vote by giving positive rep points, and when an applicant reaches a certain threshold they are approved. If applicants are getting approved quickly, it just means that enough current members are voting in a timely fashion.
Hence the reason I do not "vote" as it can quickly approve someone. Usually I dig around a bit, and pass along info to others ;)

And how do you propose to "block non-florist troublemakers?" There are lots of people who call themselves "florists" and in fact are not.

If the board is open to everyone why even have it? There are lots of professionals on here that wish to converse with their peers within the business community and not the public in general.

Maybe in my disdain for the elitism of this "vetting" policy and those who are insecure enough to feel a need for it, I didn't make myself clear. The key word was "troublemaker". That's who you would block, florist or not. Kind of like has been done in the past when it struck the moderator's fancy.

If you don't want to converse with the "public in general", just don't. How hard is that?

By the way, there are also lots of people who call themselves "professionals" and in fact are not. Perhaps you've noticed that would include more than a few "florists" both on and off of this board. The self-proclaimed title of "professional" is about as easy to claim by those who obviously are not as is the title of "florist". So why worry about who qualifies for either title? Both are made completely meaningless by the complete lack of credentials or abilities required for one to label one's self as either.

If you don't want to converse with the "public in general", just don't. How hard is that?...

I don't want to converse with the general public on this board - I don't want answers, comments or questions from them. If I want to talk to the general public I'll just talk to my neighbor who doesn't know a lick about flowers...

But if I need to discuss floral issues, I turn to this board because I respect the level of expertise that this board offers.

It's not an elitist thing as you have implied -- it's just common sense... IMHO

But if I need to discuss floral issues, I turn to this board because I respect the level of expertise that this board offers.

It's not an elitist thing as you have implied -- it's just common sense... IMHO

Common sense would be to talk to those whom you respect and don't respond to those you don't . . . or is that just too much "rocket science"?

I can not and will not speak for anyone else on this board. I would not be here at all if this board was again open to the public. There are certain things discussed on this board that should be kept in the industry.

Not only techniques, design, mechanics, etc.. but also venting on hard days, hard customers, hard employees, hard whatever. I do not want the public reading how frustrated I am at times with them or anyone else for that matter.

Anyway, thats just how I feel, can't speak for anyone else

I can not and will not speak for anyone else on this board. I would not be here at all if this board was again open to the public. There are certain things discussed on this board that should be kept in the industry.

Not only techniques, design, mechanics, etc.. but also venting on hard days, hard customers, hard employees, hard whatever. I do not want the public reading how frustrated I am at times with them or anyone else for that matter.

Anyway, thats just how I feel, can't speak for anyone else

When exactly was this board open to the public, if I might ask???

Common sense would be to talk to those whom you respect and don't respond to those you don't . . . or is that just too much "rocket science"?

I think it may be more about who is listening rather than who you are talking to. JMHO :)

I love this board because you all know where I am coming from... If I say.. If this shop eats one more of my knifes.. You know how I feel and you can sympathize with me..

If I say! OMG BRIDEZILLA! again.. sympathy!

If I ask why my google is not googling or how to post a link on twitter.. I get a good answer..

Have any of you every tried to chat with the general public? OMGosh! They are mean and nasty and cuss to where I am embarrassed.. (and I cuss)

And I love being help to help others.. I don't know much other than about the flowers and design (and not liking ogs and WS) but I answer questions for those that need a little help! It's my giving for getting!

ONLY florists know florists stuff! And I like it this way!