'Open' Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWK

Jun 3, 2007
San Antonio
State / Prov
Texas
Having returned back from Southern Retail convention, and seeing some of the work in the galleries got me to thinking.

Whether it be from a wire service or local customer......If you were given an 'open, designer's choice' order........how would you fill that order? What would that design look like? For purposes.....let's say the order was for 50.00 including delivery to your local area.

[EDIT: I have a reason for asking that I'll explain when we see some images. ]

not knowing "what it was for" such as occasion, home sympathy, birthday etc. And if it is going to someone "youthful" or older. These things can be important.
Younger, tend to go more with a vase or cube ...
Older, tend to go with table design in basket or non-descript container. Value into size and longevity. Older tends to like more traditional flowers, younger are more upbeat and love gerbs, "gardeny styled" designs...
:dunno:

I'll Play!

Ok the customer is thinking big for 50.00 so, for a man tropical say birds, ginger andsuch, Victorian arrangment, we don't use carns or the mums or anything so lilly, freezia roses, and such, But I think I know where this is going, So the one you saw probably had a couple of liatris, a couple of roses, and that is it, in a say a lomey??

I would agree... we try to get background info on the recipient. If we know the recipient, then we know if they would appreciate something really artistic vs. something very traditional. If there is no info available, a mixed seasonal grouped vase design is usually our standard.

Is that what you meant?

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently........What would be your favorite design to send out?

The reason for asking is that pretty much a common thread from all of the presenters were talking about your own identity and what sets you apart from your fellow shops. One of them even went so far as to pose this question " Why should a customer spend his or her money with you and not your fellow florist? "

Our "signature design" for sympathy is stylized. Grouped designs, especially casket sprays, not the usual flowers and we try not to duplicate any specifics or flower unless requested by the family. And to this point is why our funeral director "highly recommends our shop".
Our everyday design would have to be currently, the garden style vase. Few seem to appreciate a grouped vase arrangement here, but prefer the loose style with a few of each different (not everyday flowers) variety.
Our area is always "behind about 3 years" according to trends, so we slowly introduce the trendy things especially colors. You would not believe the amount of "colonial colored" homes here and those who think they are trendy are still in mauve and williamsburg blue (need smiley sticking finger down throat).
As most places our hospital has very little area for large designs for get well, therefore we go for very bright colors and longer lasting flowers due to the dryness and heat......but we love to add things like the bright aluminum wire.
Really not sure what you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure it probably will take 3-5 years to take hold here in the "woods".........:squish:

so ..you are saying go with your signature style when ever possible, well that makes sence.. how else are you going to establish your brand and make yourself different?
Before reading your second post i would have answered differently.. i would have sent something standard or 'safe' not wanting to dissapoint. But i should not be afraid, because what if the customer came to me knowing my style/brand and i played it safe? hmmm....
great food for thought!

Rick,

Our style is "everday chic" :) We are in a rural area so using value priced flowers is required but, we don't use them in the traditional way. Our cooler is always stocked with at least three or four types of unique flower alongside the more traditional options. Right now I have the most perfect orange dahlias, yellow callas, firey pink roses, orange hypericum, antique green hydrangea, some orangey/pink Canadian gerbs, montbretia, muted orange roses, camelia foliage, two kinds of ruscus, var. lily grass, bonsai euc, white monte, and I think that's it. We mostly use ceramic or stone containers and unique baskets such as seagrass, bamboo and rattan, I collect unique containers from antique dealers, my local wholesaler and even department store sales. We never use plastic vases, only glass and we always buy the medium priced items, never the lowest priced because that's all our competition stocks. It's not that there is anything wrong with using utility glass vases, it's just what makes us stand out in our area.

My personal style is very ecclectic and it shows in my floral design style as well. I have doubled my customer base again in the last year and the MOST received comment has been "your style is so unique, no one does what you do". Now, I am sure there are a ton of florists on this board that "do what I do" but, in my immediate area, it's unheard of.

We do carnations in tight clusters with tropical foliage collars and unique accent flowers, no one here does that, they all do leather leaf, carns and baby's breath stuffed in a utility vase. No shame in using traditonal flowers...just do it with flair!!

When we first opened some of the older customers that came in poo-pooed my design style saying that if it didn't contain lots of baby's breath they didn't want it so, after a little education that they can get more flowers and less filler....guess where they all shop now ;)

Annnyway, that's what makes our shop stand out head and shoulders above others in our small town. I'm so proud of everything that leaves our shop, it's like a little piece of me walks out the door with each design and my customers know that and it's what keeps them coming back!

I'm not sure where this is going, but I'll play too....sounds like fun!

I would probably opt for a gathering basket overflowing with gardeny flowers and lots of ivy. Green hydrangea, pink lemonade honeysuckle and white gooseneck loosestrife are all blooming in my garden right now. I would add them along with some lovely mauvey-pink 40 cm roses that just came in today. Should do the trick!

We do carnations in tight clusters with tropical foliage collars and unique accent flowers, no one here does that, they all do leather leaf, carns and baby's breath stuffed in a utility vase. No shame in using traditonal flowers...just do it with flair!!

EXACTLY!

I love when someone comments that "I hate carnations" or we get an order with "no carns". It's so fun to show them how they can be used, with flair and imagination, to create something with great style. You can't beat a carnation for color and texture. Granted, we don't sell a ton of them, but when we do they're not bobbing above a sea of tree fern and baby's breath!

I'll be the contrarian here as usual and answer we would send the most popular long lasting vase arrangement we could.

And the answer would be a spring mix vase.

Before you get out the pitchforks for lack of creativity or uniqueness - I would choose what pleases most of the people most of the time.

No make that 95% of the people 95% of the time. naw heck make that a firm 98%

and by the way - my wife makes very lovely spring mix vases that I am always proud to deliver. Don't get me wrong -we have the capability and creativity to knock anyone's socks off artistically, but it must be judiciously applied, which is only with a specific request for that type of arrangement. We've tried and it has actually lost us business to send "art" when what they want is pretty flowers.

all that other stuff quoted above I see is pretty much for specific requests, and I really like something I have learned from Ken Royer's book about open orders and the line was "don't experiment on your customers" and to paraphrase "experience has shown that given a choice customers will almost universally opt for a finely crafted vase of long lasting flowers".

I totally don't believe that universal deal you hear at design shows "you have to show this stuff to let people know you can do it", unless you're willing to display things in your cooler for walkins only that are going to sit in there and wilt 98% of the time.

I think you have to display what people want to buy and everything I have seen shows me that consumers aren't the least bit interested in floral art - they just want lots of long lasting flowers in a pretty arrangement. Correction (slight) we have one customer that always asks for a unique design - and they are a graphic design studio.

It's kinda sad but true as far as I can see. Floral art has been counterproductive in my business. We'd love to do it, but people don't love to spend money on it.

I've also found this to be pretty much true in many of the largest and most successful florists in the country that I have seen.

Not to dis anyone's creativity. but as we all know

opinions vary.....

and this is mine

Reactions: 1 person
I'll be the contrarian here as usual and answer we would send the most popular long lasting vase arrangement we could.

And the answer would be a spring mix vase.

Before you get out the pitchforks for lack of creativity or uniqueness - I would choose what pleases most of the people most of the time.

No make that 95% of the people 95% of the time. naw heck make that a firm 98%

and by the way - my wife makes very lovely spring mix vases that I am always proud to deliver. Don't get me wrong -we have the capability and creativity to knock anyone's socks off artistically, but it must be judiciously applied, which is only with a specific request for that type of arrangement. We've tried and it has actually lost us business to send "art" when what they want is pretty flowers.

all that other stuff quoted above I see is pretty much for specific requests, and I really like something I have learned from Ken Royer's book about open orders and the line was "don't experiment on your customers" and to paraphrase "experience has shown that given a choice customers will almost universally opt for a finely crafted vase of long lasting flowers".

I totally don't believe that universal deal you hear at design shows "you have to show this stuff to let people know you can do it", unless you're willing to display things in your cooler for walkins only that are going to sit in there and wilt 98% of the time.

I think you have to display what people want to buy and everything I have seen shows me that consumers aren't the least bit interested in floral art - they just want lots of long lasting flowers in a pretty arrangement. Correction (slight) we have one customer that always asks for a unique design - and they are a graphic design studio.

It's kinda sad but true as far as I can see. Floral art has been counterproductive in my business. We'd love to do it, but people don't love to spend money on it.

I've also found this to be pretty much true in many of the largest and most successful florists in the country that I have seen.

Not to dis anyone's creativity. but as we all know

opinions vary.....

and this is mine

I have to agree, I would do the same thing in my area. I am in a smallish city very victorian style...most want some value for their money and by value they also want size..I do a business of the week where I pick a business or 2 or 3 and send out a free arranagement and some info about the shop. In the beginning, I was sending out artsy, exotic and higher style arrangements..I got alot of calls saying thank you and the flowers were different but no new customers. I did this for 6 months, then I canged to some mixed spring arrangements in clear glass vase, in some differently designed ways using some choicier flowers that would be priced modestly what a response...Over the past year that has gotten me 7 customere that I can think of off the top of my head...So that goes to show you that if they won't bite when it is for free, how the heck will the respond if they are paying for it.....

I also agree with Bloomz. As much as I like to show off my style , most of my customers want size and long life. And I want them happy.
Sophie

Bloomz post was too long to quote ;)

I also agree with Bloomz. As much as I like to show off my style , most of my customers want size and long life. And I want them happy.
Sophie

You can have style, size and vase life at the same time. It's not a one or the other situation. I can use carnations to create a beautiful, unique selection by using different foliages such as willow euc, Israeli Ruscus, Rhamnus or Italian Pitt and unique fillers such as Lepto, Rice Flower or Queen Anne's Lace.

When you are a new shop like I am you have to offer something different to gain a lead on your competition. I don't have longevity working for me. Even though I am the only shop in my town, the other two shops in our area have been here for 10+ years, one for 25. I have to do something different to catch people's attention. I wouldn't be in business if the different things didn't sell. If I sold exactly the same things as the other two shops what would make customers want to use my shop over theirs? Of course I think my service and quality of product is better but when you are selling the exact same designs and products you are really only competing on price alone.

I'm with Felicity on this one, I actually have two other shops within 1 mile of me. One is very traditional and the other is over the top artsy and pricey. So.....I am getting known for making more affordable but really different & unusually creative stuff. I do agree with Bloomz that if its designer's choice then use really long lasting flowers, I would put in some callas and Curly willow, beargrass, maybe wrap the Varigated leaf inside the vase.....little touches like that.

I would do season appropriate designs. Almost every month has a holiday of some sort, or a theme. For instance, spring vases work great in Mar, Apr & May, and which ever month has Easter, (assuming recip is Christian) there would be holiday appropriate do-dads in teh arrangement. Summer months always would have roses, maybe sunflowers, lilies, etc. Point being, it would be different each time.

Tim - North Port Floral

What bloomzie's typed.

If you know the customer, do what the customer likes,

If you know the recipient, do what the recipient likes.

If you don't know either, play it safe.

The risk of disppointing a customer or a recipient and having both criticize your work and business isn't worth the risk of losing future business.

Good quality flowers and design always sells.

Being creative doesn't mean the bouquet has to be outrageous art gallery piece. There are ways to tweek traditional styles that will set your shop apart from other's.

joe

Garden style vase arr, with a mix of long lasting and some more non traditional (to the consumer) flowers like gerbers, bells of ireland, sunflowers. Bow or ribbon of organza mixed with traditional florist satin, curly willow, butterfly, some interesting greesn like variegated pitt, euc, bear grass or lily grass.

I like to be creative, I would like to have customers who would appreciate and pay for it, but reality is we're in a traditional area. When I came here several years ago, the norm was gyp and statice, dasiy/carn/alstro/liatris - limonium, QA lace, gerbers, bells and anything other than leatherleaf was "cutting edge". Our customers like our garden look, some will let us stretch our imagination because they have seen odds and ends in the cooler that are funky. Or we send some funky stuff as promo to the library or town hall, or the bagel shop ....

I also agree about "experimenting" on your customerss. I have a regular who sends white roses every month, and I know the recip quite well. We had leftover limes from a wedding, and I asked him if I could try something a little different for him, because we always deliver the traditional thing they order. Never would have done it without asking. Cut limes in a lampshade shaped vase, with short white roses, hosta leaves, bear grass.... fun for me, and she really liked it, but next month he wanted traditional!

Our signature look is garden vases, because that's what sells. Fine with me cause it pays our bills!
:)
tracy

We do keep in mind that the customer doesn't get to enjoy flowers as often as we do. Today in the 50.00 price range you would have recieved a vased arrangment....very large & showy w/ GG calla's,gold lecodendrum, Hydrangia, oriental lilies (probably Yelloween..) and orange roses or orange gerbs. Italian ruscus,aspidistra leaves and verg. lily grass.

Chefs vs. Florist

I am not a florist....but a pretty good cook...here's what I think

Many of the top chefs at resturants around the world, make a practice of going with the season / market.

On open orders we go with the best we have. Often, these flowers are in season, extremely fresh, and lower priced than other off season flowers.

In the case of cooking, Chef's had to use the best of what was available and in season. I think florists should do the same....when they get the chance. That is art, to me.

all the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.