'Open' Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question posed by the stage presenter is what got me to really thinking about this.....What is our signature that makes our customer want to spend his or her money with us?

Being a designer/employee, I really had not given that much thought till He phrased it like that....."Why should I want to spend my money with your shop" ?

"What about your signature or style sets you apart?"

Those questions really made me think.

Rick, I see what you mean now. it is important to be able to say to your customer ( or even better have them say to each other ) This is who we are and what we do. I'm not sure that its a design style that sets us apart. Here in Columbus it's the quality of our product, and the best customer service that I know how to offer. Presentation makes the first impression but I don't know that it's always the one that sticks and gets them talking.

I am not a florist....but a pretty good cook...here's what I think

Many of the top chefs at resturants around the world, make a practice of going with the season / market.

On open orders we go with the best we have. Often, these flowers are in season, extremely fresh, and lower priced than other off season flowers.

In the case of cooking, Chef's had to use the best of what was available and in season. I think florists should do the same....when they get the chance. That is art, to me.

all the best,

I would like to hear more about some of your specialities!

The question posed by the stage presenter is what got me to really thinking about this.....What is our signature that makes our customer want to spend his or her money with us?

Being a designer/employee, I really had not given that much thought till He phrased it like that....."Why should I want to spend my money with your shop" ?

"What about your signature or style sets you apart?"

Those questions really made me think.

You know the only thing that matters is that the arrangement pleases the customer and the recipient and that the flower shop made money.

Creative expression by a designer isn't going to pay the bills unless, you have a very good salesperson LISTENING to the customer and conveying that sentiment to the designer.

Focus on the money. I know a number of High-styled shops that can not pay their wholesale bills or have gone out of business.

This is a business and not some experimental art class.

Joe

Reactions: 1 person
Most of our orders are "open orders" and we fill them to full value with exceptionally designed, meticulously conditioned flowers. I consider a $50.00 flower arrangement as mid-range and would more than likely use mid- range priced flowers. Our market would not allow for hydrangeas, callas, and roses for that price. So I would probably use liatris, alstro, asiatics, and so on.

Yeah and No

I don't keep carns or mums in my cooler and never use them, only by request, when I read everyone response they were all great for there area, and location ,customer base, in my area, that I travel,work in it would never work for my company, just and FYI< hired a new designer he worked at another shop locally for about a year> First question when making arrangments is where are the carns and filler, mums,daisie, So all of the princess laughed at him, he was ready to cry, over this, He couldn't understand why someone would want a arrangment without these flowers in it, So the Queen is at wits end with this one, OF course big is always better, and stems are free, So that will always give the WOW factor, in the next few years, this business will all be about the Art of it, and size so life is grand and glamourous as should all of our arrangments,

Its the same issue down here in Brisbane, Australia. Most people always choose a big colourful bouquet over an arty farty arrangment. But here we really do try to educate our customers because they are ' not in the industry' so to speak so they have no idea what it took for us to make that really spunky looking arrangement...they have no thought of creativity needed or the fact that we are actually 'artists'...they can't see that. So here we definately try to talk to the customer, give them a variety, get them to TAKE the chance to accept something different and most of the time when they come back...they are expecting something unusual the for them to buy the next time.

Its the same issue down here in Brisbane, Australia. Most people always choose a big colourful bouquet over an arty farty arrangment. But here we really do try to educate our customers because they are ' not in the industry' so to speak so they have no idea what it took for us to make that really spunky looking arrangement...they have no thought of creativity needed or the fact that we are actually 'artists'...they can't see that. So here we definately try to talk to the customer, give them a variety, get them to TAKE the chance to accept something different and most of the time when they come back...they are expecting something unusual the for them to buy the next time.

You are right they do not understand what it takes to make an arty creative arrangement, but they do know when something doesn't look right. I have had customers say to me, "Why dont my flowers look as good as when you do them." I just tell them that it takes skill and many years of training to get it just right..Those customers usually start buying arrangements instead of loose cuts...

....hired a new designer he worked at another shop locally for about a year> First question when making arrangments is where are the carns and filler, mums,daisie, So all of the princess laughed at him, he was ready to cry, over this, He couldn't understand why someone would want a arrangment without these flowers in it, .....

This just means that your designer has not yet been exposed to anything else but the basic flowers.......Your response has me quite critical.....rather than laughing at and hurting the young man's feelings, this would have been an excellent opportunity to educate your new employee and show him how some of the more premium flowers can be utilized.

I am assuming that you are the shop owner - If so, such a response could hardly endear you to your employees......speaking as a designer/employee myself - I would probably not remain your employee for long in the same situation. If I were in your situation, I might would re-think how I handled such a situation again.

You know the only thing that matters is that the arrangement pleases the customer and the recipient and that the flower shop made money.

Creative expression by a designer isn't going to pay the bills unless, you have a very good salesperson LISTENING to the customer and conveying that sentiment to the designer.

Focus on the money. I know a number of High-styled shops that can not pay their wholesale bills or have gone out of business.

This is a business and not some experimental art class.

Joe

I agree totally with Joe. It's customer satisfaction that matters. I ask questions about the recipient, do they have a favourite flower, what is the colour scheme of the room that the flowers are likely to go in or failing that what is their favourite colour, what is their age range.
Ok sometimes it doesn't work. A husband once buying a bouquet for his wife on their wedding anniversary didn't know anything about her! When I asked what colour schemes they had in their house he could only remember that the TV was silver! So in the end I made a bouquet up of the nicest creams and greens that I had, keeping away from lilies because I know some people don't like them or are allergic to them.
The lady rang up next day to say thank you, she said they went really well with her cream and browns colour scheme (said she was surprised her husband remembered) I said nothing
:tunes:

This just means that your designer has not yet been exposed to anything else but the basic flowers.......Your response has me quite critical.....rather than laughing at and hurting the young man's feelings, this would have been an excellent opportunity to educate your new employee and show him how some of the more premium flowers can be utilized.

I am assuming that you are the shop owner - If so, such a response could hardly endear you to your employees......speaking as a designer/employee myself - I would probably not remain your employee for long in the same situation. If I were in your situation, I might would re-think how I handled such a situation again.

Yes I am the owner, the employess laughed at him, yes I have been working with him on this issue , for a few weeks now, and am a very patient person when it comes to this issue as for design, So now I am working with his assets as to what he does know, which is a good way to start, in any shop, I have been doing this for many many years, So you as an employee, let me ask you a question, When you started out, you were so motivated to learn this, and so is this person, but when of the girls talk him through this, it always comes back the same way, that is not what I am use to, The best asset is this person can do delivery and set up, customers like him, but this attidude of his lately is driving me nuts, My average person who is working for me has been with me 17 years, the newest is 3 years this one is 3 weeks, and I have given him books, everything, to keep him happy, I am very good to my employees' I am only there boss on payday. So I am sorry I offended anyone, Just at wits end on what to do, to help him , he is driven, but ever so , design comes with in, not just SO/SO.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing what I can do more to help him,

Yes I am the owner, the employess laughed at him, yes I have been working with him on this issue , for a few weeks now, and am a very patient person when it comes to this issue as for design, So now I am working with his assets as to what he does know, which is a good way to start, in any shop, I have been doing this for many many years, So you as an employee, let me ask you a question, When you started out, you were so motivated to learn this, and so is this person, but when of the girls talk him through this, it always comes back the same way, that is not what I am use to, The best asset is this person can do delivery and set up, customers like him, but this attidude of his lately is driving me nuts, My average person who is working for me has been with me 17 years, the newest is 3 years this one is 3 weeks, and I have given him books, everything, to keep him happy, I am very good to my employees' I am only there boss on payday. So I am sorry I offended anyone, Just at wits end on what to do, to help him , he is driven, but ever so , design comes with in, not just SO/SO.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing what I can do more to help him,

I read your original post, Rick's post and your response.

Do this young man a favor and find him a flower shop that will develop his talents (i assume he has talent, or you wouldn't be keeping him on) and let him grow in floricutlure.

Also, there isn't a dam thing wrong with carnations, pomps, BB, glads or other floral designer defined "undesirable" flowers.

What is undesirable is a floral designer who doesn't know how to use the common flowers in an artistic manner.

Joe Mioux

.............Thanks and I look forward to hearing what I can do more to help him,

One thing that I would suggest is to let one of your more seasoned employees act as a mentor for him...move his work area close to the mentoring designer.....start out by getting that employee to do a typical design that is your signature....and then let the new fellow try and copy the design......learn by doing. Another idea is to select a design out of a guide or book and let him try and duplicate the design. I'll do some research in the meantime and try to come up with some more ways to help inspire this person.

Now to Joe - You are correct in there is nothing wrong with carnations, mums, and other basic flowers.....It is just that she has her target clientelle and chooses to not carry those types of flowers.....I have customers most everyday who request no carnations.....I do the arrangement to meet their need and their request. Personally, I like the carnation......but one thing I learned very early in my career. My personal likes and dislikes have no say-so whatsoever in the minds and wants of my customer.

Example: The ugliest, most hideous casket spray I have ever done was out of nothing but white cushion poms.....which is not bad in and of itself....however, the family specifically instructed me to not seperate the stems and laterals, to leave the entire stem intact, and to further color the stems. In the bed of white one stem of white cushions was magenta, hot pink, red, flag blue, purple, neon orange, and lime green. eight stems - each a different color - on a bed of white. with a black bow to top things off.

The family was thrilled - they said it was just what they wanted and it was perfect. I was about to hurl and heave at the sight of this thing. I did my best to try and 'persuade' the family to make a less garish choice, that I thought this would be just the ugliest thing.....but they were adamant.

One thing that I would suggest is to let one of your more seasoned employees act as a mentor for him...move his work area close to the mentoring designer.....start out by getting that employee to do a typical design that is your signature....and then let the new fellow try and copy the design......learn by doing. Another idea is to select a design out of a guide or book and let him try and duplicate the design. I'll do some research in the meantime and try to come up with some more ways to help inspire this person.

Now to Joe - You are correct in there is nothing wrong with carnations, mums, and other basic flowers.....It is just that she has her target clientelle and chooses to not carry those types of flowers.....I have customers most everyday who request no carnations.....I do the arrangement to meet their need and their request. Personally, I like the carnation......but one thing I learned very early in my career. My personal likes and dislikes have no say-so whatsoever in the minds and wants of my customer.

Example: The ugliest, most hideous casket spray I have ever done was out of nothing but white cushion poms.....which is not bad in and of itself....however, the family specifically instructed me to not seperate the stems and laterals, to leave the entire stem intact, and to further color the stems. In the bed of white one stem of white cushions was magenta, hot pink, red, flag blue, purple, neon orange, and lime green. eight stems - each a different color - on a bed of white. with a black bow to top things off.

The family was thrilled - they said it was just what they wanted and it was perfect. I was about to hurl and heave at the sight of this thing. I did my best to try and 'persuade' the family to make a less garish choice, that I thought this would be just the ugliest thing.....but they were adamant.

Rick, that is my perennial point whenever it comes to selling flowers. do what the client instructs.

Now, I sure would like to see a picture of that casket spray.

Joe

Joe - No picture of that one......even the funeral directors practically hurled at the sight of this thing. If it had not been for the fact that we had forewarned them about this thing coming.....At the time, two of the directors were former florists and they would have stopped us at the door and barred us from bring that monstrosity in.

To Rick and Joe: :headbang: :headbang: :kuddle: :bouquet2: :wave: :blowkiss: :bouquet2:

We need a standing ovation smiley.

IMHO

Rick, I think you deserve your letters for just having the patience and stomach to create such an atrosity. How did you ever get through that without hurling??? Sometimes we have to do what the customer wants regardless of what we like....

Status
Not open for further replies.