Preston Bailey's Valentine spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonfly, this is an open message board where you will get a variety of opinions, not every one is going to respond in the same manner you would or that you would like. People here are not only artists but very much into the commercial aspects of anything offered up for discussion. You have to be open to accept that you will get responses that are not of your mindset and roll with it, expecting the unexpected. We are florists and very opinionated individuals. I've learned, I just never start threads.

Trish

It is pretty....but I agree, boo whoo Preston. Where are the flowers?!??!

not everything he does makes sense...

...perhaps we could offer the same type of bouquet using vegetables. No, wait - how about meat? bacon for ribbon...I can see it now.
C'mon, if Preston did it, you all would love it!

...perhaps we could offer the same type of bouquet using vegetables. No, wait - how about meat? bacon for ribbon...I can see it now.
C'mon, if Preston did it, you all would love it!
Uhhh, no I wouldn't.

so much for promoting flowers.. ever try working with fresh produce.. you think flowers produce an ethylene gas... those suckers will croak just as easy if not faster.. but thanks again for promoting flowers...boooo!!!

Reactions: shannonlovesflowers
i have made arrangements wth both fruit, veggies and flowers.. they are pretty but you have to be careful how you stem those fruits.. rot sets in quick...ever work with pumpkins and flowers????

Reactions: Victoria
I told myself I would not post hear as it has become a discussion on how bad Preston is. I have just reread every post again and rethought the reason I originally posted it. I might of used the comment "screw roses" without thinking that it called for an opinion. If I wanted to spark a heated debate on business theory I would of posted it in the grip thread. So I apologize, I should of proofread and edited the comment to get my true point across. You are bright people.

When I first saw the photo I thought it would be a great thing to share. I did not mean that we should replicate it. I would because I love it and I know of at least 6 customers I could sell it to for at least 150. But thats me, I am entitled to that, art is in the eye of the beholder. The same applies to you.

But the concept here is brilliant. You can take a large paper heart shaped box and recreate the look. You can set up a gift bar or kiosk in the middle of your shop so that a lovelorn customer can put together different items such as fruit, chocolates, berries, jewelry, or what ever you have that is Valentines Day related. And then to close the sale, offer that excited customer your service by providing a proffesional designer to design it into a beautiful piece of art. Add some roses if you want to promote the industry, what ever it takes to ease your fears.

As far as Preston, yes Preston promotes Preston, maybe we could learn something here. Not one of you would choose to turn away a big dollar chance to brand if you were approached, unless you love to struggle or believe your just a victim of the industries down turn and like it that way. But I know Preston, he does a tremendous amount of giving to the industry. If you ever had the chance to hear him speak, or watch him create, or read his books, you will understand that a true creative artist and a successful one at that will share what they know to all who ask. It is the key to being successful. Peston uses more flowers on one event than most of us use in one year.

I would say that if you want to be successful in the industry, as a designer whether or not you are the owner, you have to watch and study how successful designers are doing it. Study their articles. If you are stuck in a small town and think that that would never fly? think again, they are all around you. They are people with money who buy from who they deem as professional and money is not the object. They will buy with no budget, they buy what they love.

As far as this bouquet? It is a cheap glass cylinder with a shaped styrofoam top shoved down. Wrap the entire base with a fabric and secure with ribbons. Use chocolate paper cups found at baking supplies to showcase each piece. Use tooth picks or bamboo to secure items. If you want to add roses, add three inches of water in the cylinder and insert striped roses all the way through the styro sheet until the head is resting inside a paper cup.
To transport, wrap in shrink wrap and adorn with a bow.

I hope I covered everything. No, my dog is chewing on my shoe.

TGDragonfly...I loved your inspirational youtube...I shared it on my Facebook....hope to get to meet you soon, have a great holiday! Sue...
PS we're almost neighbors, I live in Enfield !

Hi Sue, I buy from you guys. Gwen is my sales person. You guys have great stuff. I wish I could do more with Seagrott, but most of my stuff is in DC.

You hang in there next week!

Yes, I knew that! Gwen is great! I have probably seen you but not met in person. I do the marketing and graphics and trade shows and design shows...and I am often in my office behind this computer! Which...I need to get away from and go work with actual flowers right now...:)
Ask for me next time you're in, and have a great holiday!

To me this is a real florist. This is a true artistic person who uses flowers as a medium.

Huh?

think he could make something artistic out of those motorcycle parts I have left over on my work bench in the garage?

We could call it floristry too, since he is in some way associated with flowers - maybe.

I'm glad I didn't bother clicking on this while on my vacation......

Count me as one who thinks it is lame. Valentine's fruit. wow

Can't we just enjoy Preston's piece for what it is? A food, as opposed to a floral, sculpture.

Or Vermont Teddy Bears?

I am sorry but that is like a dried flower arrangement that i see all the time in the wholesalers, nothing innovative for me, in fact very old fashioned imho. Nothing against who this Preston Bailey is, i am sure he is great but there are other great designers who dont put themselves out there as well. Just because you are famous does not mean you are the best. We have so called celebrity designers over here and to be honest half the stuff i just dont rate. I see nicer designs when i call into local florists shops when out of town.

No offence Thom, i always love your posts so dont take it personal.

But the concept here is brilliant. You can take a large paper heart shaped box and recreate the look. You can set up a gift bar or kiosk in the middle of your shop so that a lovelorn customer can put together different items such as fruit, chocolates, berries, jewelry, or what ever you have that is Valentines Day related. And then to close the sale, offer that excited customer your service by providing a proffesional designer to design it into a beautiful piece of art. Add some roses if you want to promote the industry, what ever it takes to ease your fears.

LOVE this idea!!

I am sorry but that is like a dried flower arrangement that i see all the time in the wholesalers, nothing innovative for me, in fact very old fashioned imho. Nothing against who this Preston Bailey is, i am sure he is great but there are other great designers who dont put themselves out there as well. Just because you are famous does not mean you are the best. We have so called celebrity designers over here and to be honest half the stuff i just dont rate. I see nicer designs when i call into local florists shops when out of town.

No offence Thom, i always love your posts so dont take it personal.

Amen to that sister!

Reactions: bloomz
Status
Not open for further replies.