Preston Bailey's Valentine spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, real florists would be those of us who work at a retail shop or design studio everyday. Who don't have our name branded with 1800flrs.
I'm not saying he isn't a brilliant designer, just say'n he sells more than floral designs.

I'm sorry I am having a difficult time here, I don't know how to discuss things with you. What has happened to this business?

Preston is "out of the box", does wonderful venues for the "stars and those who want to be stars".
I do have one of his books and have taken some designs "down scaled" for projects.
I look at him as a floral designer... I don't look at Todd Oldham or Vera Wang as floral designers. You know it's just their name on those heavily touted, high priced, flowers in a box delivered by UPS or FedEx
As a florist, I don't like the idea that he's promoting other than flowers for Valentine's IMHO

I honestly don't think Preston is promoting anything. It was a creation made by someone who Preston saw fit to include in his blog. It is just a design, and like most designs, whether it is made of chocolates, nuts, and berries, or flowers with a valentines day balloon attached to it, you take from it a small piece and store it in that little box deep inside your head and combine pull a piece of it out when you need it.

To me this is a real florist. This is a true artistic person who uses flowers as a medium.

Reactions: Beth and sklepikova
...As a florist, I don't like the idea that he's promoting other than flowers for Valentine's IMHO...

I totally agree. I'm not sure Mr. Bailey really thought this through and the impact it has on the struggling retail world of flowers. He certainly didn't think the DIY part through... Honey, do you have a screwdriver, hacksaw and some wire...I'd like to make you an edible gift...

So are you ok that Teleflora is promoting this for you? Would you let this represent your shop?

Attachments

• 200314.jpeg
    200314.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 11
I honestly don't think Preston is promoting anything. It was a creation made by someone who Preston saw fit to include in his blog. It is just a design, and like most designs, whether it is made of chocolates, nuts, and berries, or flowers with a valentines day balloon attached to it, you take from it a small piece and store it in that little box deep inside your head and combine pull a piece of it out when you need it.

To me this is a real florist. This is a true artistic person who uses flowers as a medium.

sorry didn't know it wasn't a "preston design" missed that, but either way as a floral artist, he should promote flowers. How about that fruity, nutty thing for Easter? Food, Easter?

TG,
The issue isn't with you at all, or the fact that you can see the beauty and artistry in the fruit design that Preston is promoting...
I think you are looking at Prestons fruit blog through a floral designers eyes...
I am looking at it through a consumers eye. And some people love Preston just as much as they Love Martha... And they will take what he says to heart and the last thing we need is yet another reason for people to stop buying flowers...

I think the issue is that we floral designer associate Preston Baily with over the top floral creations. When we read 'Preston Baily Valentine Spectacular' or however it was phrased we expected to see a huge valentines day arrangement dripping with phalen, and roses, and peonies, etc.

Same as if we heard Vera Wang we associate her name with dresses, Thomas Kincaid, paintings of country cottages, etc....

So to see Preston Baily who some see as a cheerleader for all things floral, and we see him promoting,,,,actually DISCOURAGING people from buying flowers, well it just leaves a bad taste....

Don't bite the hand that made you Preston.

customers can't be discouraged buying flowers just because Preston Baily said "here - try to make it yourself". ....but .......they defenetely will be if the result would look not worse than some arrangements from "real" florist. and who's fault it would be then??????? Preston's, who's a Real florist to me ,trying to make more money......or...........a "real" florist who is so "professional" that there is no difference between his/her arrangement and the one of an amateur ..because just having or working in a retail shop does not neccesserely makes us all Real.....not talking about making us professional

I'm of the belief that good design is good design is good design - whether it's with flowers, fruit, clay or steel, a great designer can work with many, many different media. The elements and principles are basically the same.

Can't we just enjoy Preston's piece for what it is? A food, as opposed to a floral, sculpture.

Sorry im a little late in on this thread, but have to say that having NEVER heard of Preston Bailey, i was interested to view his work. After scrolling down the pictures, i struggled to find very many Flowers? The fruit bouquet is very artistic, no doubt...but certainly not Floral Art ! I love the XMAS TREE though.
I suppose as Artists, one way or another we All see something different in his work ?

Preston Bailey wouldnt be known very much on this side of the Atlantic .I like some of his stuff and will take ideas from him/ anywhere and tweak them for something different and unique.Because I am a retail florist I need to make it commercial and everything I do must make money .There are lots of floral designers /artists who do all this kind of stuff over here in Europe .Some magazines that I get show stuff way out there and totally unsaleable but its just different .
Was wondering does PB design for relay and does it make a difference to the customer ?
Teresa

I'm of the belief that good design is good design is good design - whether it's with flowers, fruit, clay or steel, a great designer can work with many, many different media. The elements and principles are basically the same.

Can't we just enjoy Preston's piece for what it is? A food, as opposed to a floral, sculpture.
Yes, had he not basically wrote 'buy this instead of flowers'

If the message was 'fruit can be coupled with your floral selection' or something to that effect, It may not have rubbed me the way it did.

Like I said, my problem wasn't the arrangement it was the text.

Same as if we heard Vera Wang we associate her name with dresses, Thomas Kincaid, paintings of country cottages, etc....

Well on the Vera Wang, not is the VeraWang Bridal Bouquet so do all of you know what that is?? Or that Thomas Kincaid person , I think of QVC< and for the Vera Wang> Use to love her things and now she is in a store called Kohls,,,?? So it goes to show,,,ya got have something for everyone,,..

Status
Not open for further replies.