Preston Bailey's Valentine spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preston is all about making money and he is doing it. I was going to say flowers made him what he is but I think his over the top style and his skill at self-promotion made him what he is.

A couple things I would like to be better at,so my shop can be all about making money!
if I give a couple of DIY tips to my customers.. so what? The people that will go home and actually try to make that are probably not considering the traditional valentine bouquet anyway.
He is appealing to a different audience.

Reactions: SpringCity
Twiggy, you're right it is about making money. That's why we are in business. My point is that while a lot of people look up to Preston Bailey, he is not a spokesman for our industry, just a guy out to promote himself and more power to him I guess. My floral mentors are people who look at the big picture; the money making, the art, the industry as a whole. I'm seeing in this thread some disappointment from people who maybe had Preston in the category of floral mentor, finding out he is really not all about the flowers after all and will in fact shoot them down and go on to something else. Kinda like Martha; she raised flower awareness and then proceeded to become a drop-shipper and also encouraged a lot of DIY.

I also noticed disappointment from people- but I don't think that was thought of when this picture was posted- it was just a neat Idea.

Never mind what Mr. Bailey stands for or what he doesn't.. we as creative people can build on this idea and go from there..right?

and when we do take off with a creative direction- a little self promotion and eye to the bottom line never hurts.

Reactions: rewolf and Gracie
I thought it was very cool and outside the box, how unique for it to still be his design style, but in a different medium so to speak. Definitely a different way to send a fruit basket, heh. He should have added choc covered strawberries, very sexy that. However, I don't see this being something simple to make at home, looks pretty complicated to me, especially for someone that's never arranged before.

Trish

Absolutely beautiful as a design. And really, who is going to even attempt this at home for their gal. It would be great as a display piece just to vamp up decor on the big day!
Thanks for this Dragonfly...it gets the creative juices going!

I'm totally with lori here...that thing is hardly something that could easily be constructed or delivered. I guess it would be time to get out the majic wand, to suspend those raspberrys in mid air. Newton's Law?????

This brings up something else about fruit baskets. WS pics show them unwrapped, they look completely different once assembled and wrapped in cello. Just like WS flower pics they shove all the fruit to the front of the picture. Then the customer wonders what they paid for.

Reactions: mvf
If a customer offered you $1000 to suspend the raspberries in mid air, would you?

Sometimes viewing the world with rose colored glasses is all it takes.

Reactions: 1 person
If a customer offered you $1000 to suspend the raspberries in mid air, would you?

Sometimes viewing the world with rose colored glasses is all it takes.

I would as long as there was no expectation of being able to eat this thing....I could make a reasonable facsimile of this but it would have to be glued, skewered, wired to make it look like it does...not sure how tasty those raspberries would be with oasis glue on them...but sure I would take 1000 dollars and make anything anyone wanted....

Reactions: 1 person
Yes they are YUMMY!...my great uncle was a delivery guy for them briefly after his retirement. He would bring some to us if they were not accepted by the recipient for allergy reasons or what have you.

I'm sure they are delicious. I love fruit, but I buy it fresh and whole at Sunripe. :) Makes my happy and it's not quite as costly.

V

Well, I'm just not a big fan of that odd looking thing. And yes it seems like it would be impossible to transport. I don't really put Preston in the same catagory as us real florists. I think he is more of a sculptor and celebrity party transformer. I would'nt mind having a martini with him though. I can see it now, I take my second sip and off he goes to schmooz with The Donald or the Jolie Pitts.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.