Pricing Gardenia Bouquet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the wedding would have to be in August...:boggles:
Not only will the gardenia sweat - but I'll be sweating too!

Okay forget the $315.... August in Texas and Gardenias... UM... make that $315,000 - 'cuz I'm not doing it...

Gardenia drink through their blossoms. Here is a tip to keep them hydrated and from browning.

When you are done putting it together, take 2 squares of toilet paper and mist them very damp and then carefully lay over the blossom. Do this with each one. Cover with a very light weigh dry cleaner bag and refrigerate. Leave toilet paper squares on until just before use.

Joan

I would charge $375-$400 and would advise the bride that heavily fragranced flowers often don't last as long. (Hence the perfumes!) I agree with Joan, although Kleenex works too, and you can mist them with Crowning Glory as well. I've been told that Gardenias are also light sensitive, so keeping them in a dark part of the cooler and advising the bride of that fact is recommended.

I would "diaper" them with cotton, cross wire with a rose gauge wire, then tape. When you add in the magnolia leaves, you may be able to finish the bouquet off with ribbon.

They are my favorite flower. My staff knows that I want to hold them in my casket and they have to change them every day! :)

Reactions: rewolf
Montgomery in the market had beautiful ones for 15.00 a box (5.00 each) I got them Tues. Tough bouquet very pretty!

I will have to get the name - but there IS a company that can get fresh Magnolia blooms. They don't last for much more than three days cut.....but for party work, they are superb. By the way, I got them in for a competition design during the last weekend in JULY.....here in SC.

I do know I found out about them through contacts with AIFD......

$325 - 350. If you can see 12 blooms in the picture, I would figure there are a few you can't see, so 15 blooms, plus an extra box for a total of 18. And they pay for the extra whether I need them or not. And I get them with real foliage, no plastic at that price!

Lots of Crowning Glory, like the cooler and ice pack idea. Hope it's not in August!
I also charge for the unused gards, and I would also get the extra because they rarely are all perfect in a box.I HATE the plastic leaves they put on them but sometimes we can't get the real ones....I have no clue why. My price would be closer to the $350 because the P in the A factor when putting the bokay together.:)

The bride brought in the picture below and I've never made an all gardenia bouquet. Looks like about 9 gardenia so I'd order in 12. Mine are running 5.50 per bloom.
What would you charge for this bouquet?

between $315.00 and $375.00.
Why not try her on a "glamelia" bokay...will post a pic of a glamelia corsage!!

Reactions: Dee Dee and rewolf
$350 for 15 blooms plus No Guarantee on how it'll look after a couple hours. I helped with a wedding a couple months ago and the owner sold and all gard bouquet with gard bouts. I just looked at her like she was insane. I touched one gard and let her watch it turn brown right before her eyes. You never saw someone call to change things at the last minute so fast!

either keep your hands WET or wear gloves if you can...it's mostly the oil in our skin that turns them brown.....also alert the bride about too close sniffing before the ceremony/pictures.....
if she balks at the price suggest a white rose bouquet with 3 or 6 gardenias intersperced.........LOOKS GREAT !

Where I live, gardenias retail for 40-50$ each bloom. (usually 13.50 or more each wholesale, but only sold in boxes of 3). I have made bouquets similar to the one shown on a few occasions...always charge for 3 more gardenias than I need just in case. Maybe it's the grower, but I rarely have trouble with them lasting. We unpack them upon delivery, rehydrate them by floating them in a bowl of water, replace the plastic leaves , ( if necessary) with a form of fresh salal leaves, then rebag them till Friday, when we make the bouquet.
I always explain that the family cannot be overly affectionate when holding the bouquet...if you are a huggy-kissy family, then place the bouquet on the cake table before any greetings etc. Honestly, I rarely have a problem.
A bouquet like the one in the photo would be well over 800$ in my market. Nice if you can get it!
Last year, I bought a couple of large gardenia plants,(12" pots), and kept them on my front porch. I had enough gardenias to keep the shop in flowers for the entire summer. First time I have made really good money from gardenias in years, so I'll do it again this year.

Mikey may be on to something......A glamellia may work where gardenias will not.

years ago we used to mix Elmer's glue and water (50/50) and dip our gardenias in the mixture - let dry, then design. (works on steph too). This would really help keep them from drying out/turning brown. (this was before products like Crowning Glory - but I swear it worked great). Also gently cover each bloom with a piece of wet Kleenex after the bouquet is done. I think a price of $250 or so should cover it. Don't be nervous - if she really loves gardenias she should have them in her wedding bouquet! And seriously, who cares how it looks at midnight - it needs to look good going down the aisle. That's it. Do not deliver to home for photos - bring to the church right before the ceremony.
Best luck!

years ago we used to mix Elmer's glue and water (50/50) and dip our gardenias in the mixture - let dry, then design. (works on steph too). This would really help keep them from drying out/turning brown. (this was before products like Crowning Glory - but I swear it worked great). Also gently cover each bloom with a piece of wet Kleenex after the bouquet is done. I think a price of $250 or so should cover it. Don't be nervous - if she really loves gardenias she should have them in her wedding bouquet! And seriously, who cares how it looks at midnight - it needs to look good going down the aisle. That's it. Do not deliver to home for photos - bring to the church right before the ceremony.
Best luck!

Thanks Patricia - I had forgotten all about the old stand-by of Elmer's glue and water. Elmer's is non-toxic, dries clear, gentle enough to not damage or burn the flowers, and seals the pores. You are right - a 50/50 mixture works great.

the one and only gardenia bouquet I did (in 35 years)......I did the wet paper towel trick, thanks to a wholesaler, and it did work. The day was very hot and humid and it was delivered to the church 15 minutes before the wedding.

dries to an invisible film - you won't even notice it, nor does it affect the fragrance. Just let it dry before refrigerating the bouquet (10 min or so?)

Status
Not open for further replies.