ProFlowers and Teleflora

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
Word on the street... (from reliable sources)...

Well I suppose it was only a matter of time.... word is, that ProFlowers is moving back to Teleflora directly this fall for their same day delivery order fulfillment needs. Up until now they have been sending those orders through FromYouFlowers for the last many years.

You'll remember that FromYouFlowers was booted by FTD a few years ago, and just this past January I think it was, Teleflora filed suit against FromYouFlowers for non-payment, forcing them to move to Bloomnet. I imagine they are having a quality issue, and are mounting consumer complaints prompting this move. Also, it's likely that they have struck a deal that will net them the rebate directly, and retaining whatever % they were giving to FromYouFlowers for handling their orders.

Teleflora members can expect (if this all plays out as we think it will) an influx of lower priced orders, with expectations that you will be stocking every item they show online. I would think these orders will flow as Teleflora headquarter orders, cloaked as to the origin of the orders.

I can see the problems now, especially at holidays, if there is a problem on an order and you send an ASK message...
Florist>Teleflora>ProFlowers>PFcustomer...PFcustomer>ProFlowers>Teleflora>Florist... could take forever... and leave a lot of room for error.

So much for "Save the Florists" from Teleflora I guess...

During the last few Holidays, not even major ones, teleflora c/s was so backed up that one had to leave messages for call backs. And it took them a whole day to call people back. I suppose t/f is not looking at
India as their backup since they have already seen how the power issue has hurt Google and the others.

Now it would be interesting to see if t/f will add proflowers arrangement on their website or provide their members with the recipes with photos with no resemblance.

Now it would be interesting to see if t/f will add proflowers arrangement on their website
I highly doubt they would do that.... they may however have to create an additional shop manual or something so fillers would know what to copy. I do think PF limits their offerings for same day, so they may just use TF's images for that segment.

it will also be interesting to see if they continue their current advertising campaign about how drop shippers cost florist xx million dollars, blah blah. (of course, they will continue it)

so is this how the money flows now?

1)Pr0flowers advertises a ridiculously low price on internet pay per click, gets customer then adds fees on the back end, so they pay double or triple what they originally thought.

2)send through TF headquarters so the item they send (codified PF product) gets transformed into a "general description product on the dove" PF keeps 20% +service fees.

3)TF gives PF huge rebate for order sent. (paid by the filling florist via fees)

4)PF takes 20%+huge rebate

5)PF spends that money on web, print & TV advertising explaining how local florist is a rip-off

6)local florist has to refund everything because customer complains that it did not look like the picture on PF's website (which the filler never actually got to see)

Did I miss anything?

Nope Jamie... I think you pretty much nailed the possibilities... PF and TF may have worked out a different percentage/rebate package as they have eliminated FromYouFlowers from the mix...

I did speak to one florist in Florida today that mentioned some odd product numbers on TFHQ incoming orders... traced them back to FloristDeliveryExpress... PF's same day site... so it looks like it may be more than just a rumor...

Did I miss anything?

yes, you missed all the media outlets doing the old "here is what you ordered and here is what you got" spotlight showing the unlike the picture, undervalued bouquet received via the PF/ local floral order and another black eye for our industry.

Oh all the other social media slams too....

t/flora's another genius idea which imho not really thought through. Wasn't similar program with HSN during
mother's day a few years back. I wonder how that worked.

I bet this one may be done similar to JF as they provide the pictures and recipe by accessing the order through internet.

...Teleflora members can expect (if this all plays out as we think it will) an influx of lower priced orders, with expectations that you will be stocking every item they show online. ...

Well, I guess there will be in influx of REFUSALS going thru TEL HQ as well (from my shop anyway) - as TEL does not charge you the transmission fee if the order is refused. Once refused it's a "dead order" and goes to another florist. Actually, will be one more reason to drop them after so many years (we will be members 40 years next year...if we last that long...)

Stocking every item? Don't think so brother!

- H.

Reactions: joanne
Yea Herb I hear ya... I got calls today from any florists large and small after I put this up... Sounds like many are heading for the door....

Peace bro~

I been spitting bullets over this sense I heard about it So TF is going to let Pro flowers who frequently uses my name in my market place to steal my local order and then turn around and send it to me discounted . Well thank god for auto reject on MAS because its not happening. Also starting tomorrow we will start sending our outs thru FSN. And something tells me not to many of the Vermont florist will be filling these orders either.

But [MENTION=404]steve[/MENTION] ... Teleflora is trying to help you... "Save the Florists" and all that... /sarcasm

Reactions: steve
This is where florist will have to use the word NO more often.
I guess it is easier for a one teleflorist town like myself. either Meet MY price or hit the road Jack.

Every item in the book is re calculated to match my SRP.

And I do carry some items from teleflora and what I dont have is plainly NA and I dont go for this @@@@ when they transmit the same order with the description that says "Do something similar". Order does not get filled as I dont want the consumer to complain that they received a specific item that they requested.

This is the only way this florist is saving himself.
Luc

Reactions: KABERS and joanne
You spend half your day refusing orders, quibling over prices, it just doesn't seem worth it. We gave up 1-800 flowers (Bloomnet) cut off Just Flowers and From You Flowers and finally started to see some profit coming in. It did not hurt us one bit, maybe Teleflora will be next.

Reactions: blumen and steve
I do not know of a shop yet that dropped the wires and didn't see an improvement in their bottom line!!!

Spread the word!

I do not know of a shop yet that dropped the wires and didn't see an improvement in their bottom line!!!

I will modify that a bit: The improvement in your bottom line comes when you refuse to fill for all the order gatherers out there. It's all in how you use the wire services. We fill for real florists who don't advertise in OUR local marketplace. Our outgoing exceeds our incoming. We have an excellent bottom line. :)

Yes it is a fact

And they are not trying to hide it. What so many forget is that 85% or more member shops want more orders and @@@@@ when their check is not big enough. They are giving them what they want, I don't agree with them but just stating the facts. I have sat down with shop owners and crunched numbers for 15 years, almost all of them agreed. But few if any changed habits. You either have to work the system, being ethical in what you do, or get out. Most just don't know better and are afraid of consequences. We are here (flower chat) because we understand. Don't preach to the choir. Get out in the trenches and help educate others.