Question re: florist education programs

If you have the "most" talented designer in the world, it doesn't matter if the phone don't ring. The D/S have shown us that design ranks down about 3rd or 4th of the list for what customers value the most. Is it so hard to get people to come listen and learn and even if you give them the "golden" key to success. Florist have been asleep at the knife for the last 10 years and better wake up fast before they have no-one to desgin for...................................

BOSS's Second Quote of the Day!

Florist have been asleep at the knife for the last 10 years and better wake up fast before they have no-one to desgin for...................................
Well ain't that the truth...

I guess that beats Asleep at the Wheel

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Change of Thinking

.I've often wondered if, (and hoped that) shop owners would make it MANDADORY for each staff member to attend a minumum of 1 educational program a year.

For a simple, local program (Teleflora sponsored, State Association sponsored, etc)....I do not think the employees need, nor should expect compensation for their "time".

After I posted this statement, I gave it more consideration. I've changed my position on this - completely!

As an employee, I've always looked at ways of trying to save the company money and cut down on expenses.

Personally, I've never expected to be paid for my time while attending a design or educational program. (For myself, attending educational programs is a treat.) But, while drifting off to sleep last night, ephipany!!!

It hit me like a ton o' wet oasis! A shop won't fail or go out of business, just for paying me for a couple extra hours to attend a design program. (can I get back-pay for about 450 hours?)

If that's the pathway to helping our florists become better educated -
and increase our professionalism​

PAY staff members to attend!
:headbang:​

Nicole - will you make sure to tell the marvelous Miss Marie about my change of heart?

Valerie in NH

Bravo Valerie,

But shops will go broke if they do not learn how to run thier shops.

Micro shop owners have got to be told "if you are not a working member of your staff, if you do not know how to do it all and do it well, you are doomed."

Just small shops need to have working owners.

I 100% agree that the demise of the B&M is a combo of things- designer apathy, clueless owners, wire service programs that work for the wire service not the florist etc...

That's a tricky thing to bring up at design shows or in any program. There are lots and lots and lots of clueless folks who think they know what they are doing (or they think it's easy before they buy a shop) and totally don't have their poo in a pile. They turn off customers from buying flowers ever again and we all lose out.

Bravo Valerie,

But shops will go broke if they do not learn how to run thier shops.

Micro shop owners have got to be told "if you are not a working member of your staff, if you do not know how to do it all and do it well, you are doomed."

Just small shops need to have working owners.

I 100% agree that the demise of the B&M is a combo of things- designer apathy, clueless owners, wire service programs that work for the wire service not the florist etc...

That's a tricky thing to bring up at design shows or in any program. There are lots and lots and lots of clueless folks who think they know what they are doing (or they think it's easy before they buy a shop) and totally don't have their poo in a pile. They turn off customers from buying flowers ever again and we all lose out.

Nope more like praed out very thin and wide....

Lori-
I'm not talking about florists like you.

I'm talking about the florists who think it would be so much fun to own a shop and have no f-word clue as to all the work that goes into a shop. They don't even know where to begin.

I know you didn't mean me, Shannon...

no worries!!

Unfortunately the lack of investment in education by florists is simply typical of small business in general.

In the floral industry it is often compounded by the fact that so many get into the business for " the love of flowers".

As a franchiser we continuously stress to our franchises that the owners responsibility is to manage and grow the business. If you simply want to work with flowers, take courses to be a better designer and then work for someone else, that way you have no financial risk.

And please, don't even get me started on flower shop owners who make their own deliveries on a regular basis. The logic behind taking the financial risk of buying or opening a flower shop just to be a delivery driver totally escapes me. I have heard all the arguments behind it,
- I save money
- I can't afford to pay for deliveries
- I meet the customers personally
- blah, blah, blah, blah

The owner of a business (any business) must undertake the job of building the business through sales and management. The vast majority of paid staff will never put the effort into these areas that an owner will, after all they have no real investment in the business.

Unfortunately the lack of investment in education by florists is simply typical of small business in general.

In the (fill in the blank) industry it is often compounded by the fact that so many get into the business for " the love of (fill in the blank)".

... the owners responsibility is to manage and grow the business

... don't even get me started on flower shop owners who make their own deliveries on a regular basis
- blah, blah, blah, blah

The owner of a business (any business) must undertake the job of building the business through sales and management

Beauty. 'Nuf said.

We've been trying valiantly to find a way to reach all of our members consistently, but we just haven't found a way, yet. Many don't check email, not every shop has Dove, snail mail is okay but expensive and lots of stuff gets thrown away as 'junk mail'... It's crazy frustrating. I'm open to ideas on this, too! Because really and truly, this is one of our biggest challenges...

Would it be helpful if I listed TF unit programs and state association programs here on FlowerChat as I get that info? We have a page in the magazine called Industry Events with the upcoming month's shows and programs--I'd be happy to post that info here monthly if you all would find that useful...

Ok, no time like the present... I've starting a new post entitled "List of Upcoming Florist Education Programs" in "Wire Services" forum, and I've listed the info I have from now (July) through October 2010. Hope you find it helpful!

Ok, no time like the present... I've starting a new post entitled "List of Upcoming Florist Education Programs" in "Wire Services" forum, and I've listed the info I have from now (July) through October 2010. Hope you find it helpful!

Thanks for that. I've started adding the items from your list into the FlowerChat events calendar.