Question re: florist education programs

NicoleAtTF

Mar 3, 2009
Los Angeles
www.teleflora.com
State / Prov
CA
So, I'd like to ask how we (Teleflora) can make it easier for florists to take advantage of the design & business education courses we sponsor and offer directly.

I consistently hear that this is a gold star for Teleflora, but that turn out at the events we do sponsor is (sometimes, often?) surprisingly light. I've also heard that many more would like to attend, but feel they cannot because of responsibilities at their shop.

I've been tossing around a few ideas of my own, which I'll happily share, but I want to leave them out just now so I don't bias your responses.

What do you think Teleflora could do to encourage florists to attend the education courses we sponsor/offer?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
So, I'd like to ask how we (Teleflora) can make it easier for florists to take advantage of the design & business education courses we sponsor and offer directly.

I consistently hear that this is a gold star for Teleflora, but that turn out at the events we do sponsor is (sometimes, often?) surprisingly light. I've also heard that many more would like to attend, but feel they cannot because of responsibilities at their shop.

I've been tossing around a few ideas of my own, which I'll happily share, but I want to leave them out just now so I don't bias your responses.

What do you think Teleflora could do to encourage florists to attend the education courses we sponsor/offer?

Thanks in advance!

Pure and simple- Have big name designers.
People always turn out for Hitomi and J.
And Sunday is the best day for shows hands down. It's way too much of a challenge to go on a week day or a Saturday.

I also like to go to workshops. I love workshops. You hardly see any workshops ever offered.

I also like energetic and fun and entertaining designers who don't walk around like their poo don't stink.
I will be honest- I have gone to shows where the designer acts like they are just the bees knees.
I like J and Hitomi and some others because they are approachable and not stuffy.

Truly- I have gone to some shows and you can tell the designer would really rather not be there.

Some were TF sponsored and some were FTD.

And, I hate to say this, but I have heard of some shop owners who would really rather have their designers not attend any design shows for fear of them getting dillusions of grandure.

But Nicole, I personally LOVE going to OKC and getting to bug Marie. I love her even though I think she can't stand me! ha! I love Joanna too. It's a lot of fun and very educational. And I love getting a new cup and a new bag and a new apron and a new knife! And I also love to see who has the biggest tool box. I'm usually in the top 3. :)

And I love going to design shows that TF puts on. I have never been to one that was a waste of time.

I know that florists around here think that alot of what the designers do are to big for their shops, they have a really hard time thinking outside the box and scaling the tricks and tips into their realm...They also think that the designers are to stuffy and show offy...I would love to see just one designer come up on stage and actually have a price list ready for when the florists ask for a price on anything they do(I know it is not the focus of their program and none of them really like to give prices), but that is what everyday florists want, they want to see it and know what they have to sell it for with labor to quantify it...They want to see a whole bunch of really neat stuff done in the 40-50 dollar price range, they want to be excited to be able to hit the shop tomorrow and do what they have actually learned without taking bits and pieces or little tricks and just trying them on their own...to appeal to the majority the shows need to be dumbed down but made specatacular at the same time...Jerry Toh did a program like that for us, just a very down to Earth nuts and bolts design show, the florists were evry responsive to that, he did a whole lot of different stuff in actual TF containers that many florists have sitting there and most of what he did was within saleable range...we got a lot of good feedback on that show...

Generally we have a very hard time getting feedback from people that helps us know what they want and don't want...I have set up a facebook page for our unit and posted a whole bunch of stuff, but nothing, no interest at all...

Thanks in advance!

EVERYTHING Shannon said. Sundays for sure, and everyday things like Lori said.

I also love attending design shows, but there are virtually none offered in my area. The last one held in the Ottawa area was 5 years ago, and it was sponsored by a wholesaler. I don't think TF has ever held ne in this area at all.
So my dilema is the logistics of driving for a minimum of 5 hours to attend. That means only two designers can go to any given show, because even if it's hld on a Sunday, you need to stay overnight one night.
So, I would like to see shows presented in some of the smaller cities, ( City of Ottawa has just under 1 million people, and no shows here?!?) and not only in the USA, but also in Canada. We pay the ws fees too.
JP

I agree with Lori on the pricing thing and Sundays are the most doable for us. I love to see new product used - like the oasis wire was so cool - but also everyday product used in different ways. Van's would have the same designer every year, He was very entertaining but I swear he must have made commision off of styrofoam balls and those stupid googly eyes. This is the midwest but really I think we've moved past that. We just stopped going. I love a good Christmas show in late August or September - to get the creative juices flowing. Now is just to early.

Jenifer brings up a GOOD point-

I hate, and I do mean hate stupid shows promoting googly eyes or anything corny. But that's just me.

And I love to see about 4 show stoppers.
Here's why-
for anyone who does a wedding expo- You may NEVER EVER sell those big giant centerpieces, but it sure as heck will get you noticed at a wedding expo!!

However, as much as I hate those "puppies" I want to know how to make them.
and I'm not entirely sure why I want to know- maybe when I get my degree I'll know! HA!

I can't justify flying to Oklahoma for a design show or education seminar.
We have 3 designers and to send all of them would be pretty expensive. However, if TF possibly did a travelling show (even if it's a small version of a show) it would be great.
Anything in toronto, detroit, etc.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback so far!! It's great and I'm going to print and share with our industry relations team and Marie Ackerman, as well as the marketing team here in LA.

One thing that I was thinking about is the capability to offer live courses via the internet. They wouldn't be quite as personal as actually arranging for in-person shows, but it would allow shops in areas that are smaller (as Joanne said, we need to try and reach areas outside of the major metros) or shops like Chantelle's where it's hard for anyone to be away for a day or two to 'attend' and see some hands-on work and ask questions of the presenter as they work for better break-down of what's happening.

It's been mentioned to me that no one really wants to leave a long day at the shop and then spend another hour or two watching their computer screen for a presentation. I think that's a valid statement, but I also think about how many barriers something like that could break down - allowing shops who really can't spare their only designer or shops that would have to travel a long way to still get a group education experience.

Do you think I'm totally off my rocker with that one? If we offered web-based courses with live video and a chat feature with topics that were short enough to present in an hour or two (specific techniques, how to use a new product, that kind of thing), would the kinds of shops who can't usually attend in-person be interested in tuning in? It would kind of be like J.TV but more interactive, come to think of it...

Reactions: ivygreen and twiggy
I don't think you're off-base at ALL!
I think it would be great!
Even if you offered a live taping of a course that would be wonderful.
My staff loves watching JTV episodes. We'll pull them up on the screen at work when we have time.
Actually, the way we all learned how to glue corsages was by watching J's webisode and Leeann Kessler's episode's on gluing.
It would have taken us tons of trial and error, I'm sure, to perfect a technique on our own, but we didn't need to take that time because we had such a wonderful resource.

Similar to how Ryan archives the Social Media seminars here on FC. I can access them anytime I need to listen to them, when I have time.
I think the big thing is with webisodes are that they can't be "broadcast at 3pm EST"
Maybe you can purchase the seminar and download it to watch at your own convenience?
That would be excellent.

I was thinking along the same lines, although I would always choose a live show with all the trimmings. I do watch Hitomi's youtube vids for accent decor, and those are very enlightening, and of course I watch J on ubloom. I don't see why something like this could not work, I think you are onto something GREAT!

Linda

Reactions: KABERS
Nicole I agree with the web based shows. We love watching them at times that are convenient for us. As far as going to TF shows, our region holds most if not all in Sacramento about 4 hours one way. Going to Reno is much easier, only 2 1/2 hours.

We'll be going to Rene Van Rems two day show next month. Looking forward to it, I know it will be worth the time and expense.

This has been a thorn in my side for years, FTD and Teleflora need to realize that Canadians do not have floral assoications/conventions etc at the level that the Amercians do. So when FTD decided not to invest in the Canadian Florist conference last year, we were left with nothing. I am fortunate to be employed by someone that encourages her staff to go and access whatever education is available to them, she will even cover lodging and gas, but when her only options for her design staff involve air travel it does become prohibitive. Location Location Location, we have some of the largest cities in the world in this county, its high time that these opportunities are brought closer to our doors, by the wire services/wholesalers we support, in equal amounts to our neighbours to the south. We have had local groups, Stider being one of them, hold such events, but it is just about impossible for the "little guy" to support these events. We pay enough in fees, we should be having the same opportunities as everyone else. There is great value in being able to gather and share with like minded folks in a creative enviroment, we all need to be able to come away at least once a year, feeling refreshed and renewed!

This has been a thorn in my side for years, FTD and Teleflora need to realize that Canadians do not have floral assoications/conventions etc at the level that the Amercians do. So when FTD decided not to invest in the Canadian Florist conference last year, we were left with nothing. I am fortunate to be employed by someone that encourages her staff to go and access whatever education is available to them, she will even cover lodging and gas, but when her only options for her design staff involve air travel it does become prohibitive. Location Location Location, we have some of the largest cities in the world in this county, its high time that these opportunities are brought closer to our doors, by the wire services/wholesalers we support, in equal amounts to our neighbours to the south. We have had local groups, Stider being one of them, hold such events, but it is just about impossible for the "little guy" to support these events. We pay enough in fees, we should be having the same opportunities as everyone else. There is great value in being able to gather and share with like minded folks in a creative enviroment, we all need to be able to come away at least once a year, feeling refreshed and renewed!

Melissa...a lot of effort went into planning and staging the Ontario Florist Conference, and it wasn't entirely the non-participation of FTD, that sank last year's event.......sure, FTD's finances were stretched, and the "new" company found less "value" in entertaining, and training their members, than was to "try" and retain some lost capital, and Canadian conferences were NOT alone, in their "abandonment".
Also, we, as a board/volunteer group, are all getting less younger, and the sheer "effort" in trying to lure some new blood into AND ON TO THE BOARD, was almost impossible...hard as we tried, as dedicated and presented, we too felt the economic meltdown, that led to even LESS involvement, and more pressure on the rest.
Shops were simply NOT coming out in the numbers necessary, to make a radical difference, in the final result.
Teleflora's childish antics, at one show, bore itself out as a power struggle, and a foolish move, in my opinion, thus resulting in FTD having to come up to the plate, basically on it's own, which it did freely, until last year!

Hey Hey Hey Canada, hold on a second.

When I lived in Durango I would travel 7.5 hours through the rocky mountains and even with snow to attend shows. It did cost us to attend too ya know. and going to OKC is not free either. and tuition does not include your hotel rooms which run about $100 per night.
Oh, and BTW- My bosses rarely if ever paid for my room, my TIME, my food, my anything. Even when I was traveling and winning competitions and then they promoted their "award winning designer"

The only times I ever had to NOT travel for a show was when I had lived in OKC and also Here in Albuquerque.
Ironicly, I never attended the education center in OKC when I lived there, but it was still AFS at the time anyway,,,But still an amazing school from what I'm told. Marie was there then too.

And LIL Goldie-
Let me tell you why to send your designers to OKC. It's a great learning center. I learned sooooo much from both of my experiences at TF education center.
Marie taught me how to really look and see my designs in my pictures.
Techniques that I learned from the center helped me get my titles, no lie. The first class I took was a basic design class, and this was just a few years ago.... I learned more in 3 days than it took me 20 some years to learn. Seriously. And I took Hitomis class which was really more suited to me, but holy crap it was fast and furious...and the design talent in that class knocked my socks off. I mean the BEST designers that weren't famous were in that class, amazing amazing amazing.....

Oh and BTW- When I was a top 10 finialist in Flowers&, I have Sharon McGukin and Susan Ayala to thank for that. I saw Sharon at a design show in Denver and she made spheres linked together with aluminum wire and then made a bridal bouquet out of it. And Susan showed me how to weave aspidistra. I made my spheres out of woven aspidistra and went from there....

It's so worth it.

Melissa...a lot of effort went into planning and staging the Ontario Florist Conference, and it wasn't entirely the non-participation of FTD, that sank last year's event.......sure, FTD's finances were stretched, and the "new" company found less "value" in entertaining, and training their members, than was to "try" and retain some lost capital, and Canadian conferences were NOT alone, in their "abandonment".
Also, we, as a board/volunteer group, are all getting less younger, and the sheer "effort" in trying to lure some new blood into AND ON TO THE BOARD, was almost impossible...hard as we tried, as dedicated and presented, we too felt the economic meltdown, that led to even LESS involvement, and more pressure on the rest.
Shops were simply NOT coming out in the numbers necessary, to make a radical difference, in the final result.
Teleflora's childish antics, at one show, bore itself out as a power struggle, and a foolish move, in my opinion, thus resulting in FTD having to come up to the plate, basically on it's own, which it did freely, until last year!
I agree Mikey, although I was unaware that anything other than FTD pull out had ended the show...mmm. Anyhow, I guess the point I am trying to make is, and I guess I am aiming at the wire services on this one, is that, we all pay fees, and this side of the border seems to get left out? Maybe I am all wrong, I dont know. The last conference held was well attended, considering the date and locations changes at last minute, but I do understand it takes numbers to support them ongoing. I appreciate the efforts of the volunteers, and appreciate those that came before me, that is not in question. Since forming the Florist Association in London, this has been a topic of many of our meetings, many want to opportunity to the exposure that such events can have, but none of us feels mighty enough on our own to take it on. Thats where the financial support of the wire services comes in. For the friends to the south, we do travel, but geographically we are very different, and ask any Canadian, it very expensive to fly in this country, thats why those of us close enough to the border fly out of US airports when we can! I am by no means discounting the value of the programs available to us, but for us to travel to the US, by air, can be very expensive.

Missy,

Being a board member, I must say that many florists have no idea what it takes to pull of a program, the money, the time the planning...Our board of 5-6 volunteers many one person shops, work on every aspect of planning the programs...we apporoach the eholesaler, organize the procurement of good for the designer making sure they have waht they want, print signs, order eals, organize who is coming who is prepaid who is not, make sure contracts are correct, negotiate contracts, help the designer, set up the program, break down the programs, drive sometimes 2 hours away 2-3 days in a row before the program to get the designer to and from the work area and hotel. Organize meals for the designer. Then we schlep all the designs around the program...We have been trying to get more volunteers because the same 5-6 people doing all the work plus personal life and shop gets to be alot....but working with the designers is so worth it...you can learn so much more this way, not to mention it really gives you a sense of what it takes to do any kind of production...

I sometimes want to take a leave of absence from the board just to sit and watch the program from the audience, but if I quit and the others quit, then there will be no programs...so I sacrifice for the few who care deeply about education...I have found that many florists and this is not all just a great many, those that do not do demand without ever realizing the depth of what others have done to bring the offer to them....so many florists are lazy and want everything handed to them and never think about what goes into anything behind the scenes and who makes all of these thing even possible...Being a volunteer is a thankless job by our peers, partly because many do not know what we put into it in the first place...that would be our own fault for not letting them know...I think I will make a point to change all that...I will be president soon so I will have the power to change and set precedents.

Thanks in advance!
Drop the wire service propaganda and focus on design, new flower and product (not just TF) types, and business issues without the rah rah rah TF.

The last TF "education" seminar I attended, just last month was a pretty big disappointment. While the designer was good, the designs were in my opinion entry level, and the attendees were mostly owners with a minimum of a couple decades in.

Part of the problem I think, is that there is very little new blood coming into the industry. Perhaps TF should focus on recruiting, touting floral design as a noble career.

Reactions: lori042499
Missy,

Being a board member, I must say that many florists have no idea what it takes to pull of a program, the money, the time the planning...Our board of 5-6 volunteers many one person shops, work on every aspect of planning the programs...we apporoach the eholesaler, organize the procurement of good for the designer making sure they have waht they want, print signs, order eals, organize who is coming who is prepaid who is not, make sure contracts are correct, negotiate contracts, help the designer, set up the program, break down the programs, drive sometimes 2 hours away 2-3 days in a row before the program to get the designer to and from the work area and hotel. Organize meals for the designer. Then we schlep all the designs around the program...We have been trying to get more volunteers because the same 5-6 people doing all the work plus personal life and shop gets to be alot....but working with the designers is so worth it...you can learn so much more this way, not to mention it really gives you a sense of what it takes to do any kind of production...

I sometimes want to take a leave of absence from the board just to sit and watch the program from the audience, but if I quit and the others quit, then there will be no programs...so I sacrifice for the few who care deeply about education...I have found that many florists and this is not all just a great many, those that do not do demand without ever realizing the depth of what others have done to bring the offer to them....so many florists are lazy and want everything handed to them and never think about what goes into anything behind the scenes and who makes all of these thing even possible...Being a volunteer is a thankless job by our peers, partly because many do not know what we put into it in the first place...that would be our own fault for not letting them know...I think I will make a point to change all that...I will be president soon so I will have the power to change and set precedents.

How true, I guess if we really want something to happen, we must spearhead and lead on our own.