Sad state of 'Help Wanted'

Doug- simple question for you....Have you ever owned a flower shop? Or worked in one?

Shannon,
Never owned one, worked in several, have over the years advised and counseled dozens on day to day operations. I have been in the flower industry for more than 3 decades, managed a large wholesale company with 3 branches (total of 60,000 sq ft) have managed an import/ distribution flower facility in Miami, and now oversee a franchise chain of over 40 retail flower shops and a busy floral call center.

If you require a more detailed resume please submit a request in writing.

Shannon, on a last note, I won't ask for your resume or credentials as I don't believe it is a requirement to post on this board.

Reactions: BBJ (Big Bad John)
Shannon,
Never owned one, worked in several, have over the years advised and counseled dozens on day to day operations. I have been in the flower industry for more than 3 decades, managed a large wholesale company with 3 branches (total of 60,000 sq ft) have managed an import/ distribution flower facility in Miami, and now oversee a franchise chain of over 40 retail flower shops and a busy floral call center.

If you require a more detailed resume please submit a request in writing.

Shannon, on a last note, I won't ask for your resume or credentials as I don't believe it is a requirement to post on this board.

Wow Doug, the last 2 comments were quite immature for you. I guess you took my question personally. I really did just want to know if you had ever worked in an actual flower shop situation since I saw the name of the business you list seems to be some sort of wholesaler.

I too have been in the business for just about 3 decades and mostly in a regular mom and pop flower shop situation.

Another reason I asked is because I think it's very easy to assume that florists are whiners with the "Woe is me and the big bad WS."
With that said- The WS changed the rules on the mom and pop several times through the course over the last 16 years. Give or take a year. They do directly compete against mom and pop shops. Not only to the new shops who are being bought by unsuspecting, ill informed and foolish "I-think-it-would-be-fun-and-easy-to-own-a-flower-shop" people but also the old timers who have subscribed to their 'service' long before they changed the game.

I can so remember back in the late 80's and 90's the biggest complaint amongst florists at any given round table was "I can't believe they are letting grocery stores in!" Oh the horror.

These shops had no clue how huge the internet would be and how important the internet would be to the success or demise of their shops. How could they? Good grief! Most of them never even touched a computer!

Another thing you may or may not know is how these wire service reps kind of-sort of confuse the unsuspecting (and all too trusting) mom and pop shop owner.

For instance.....Bettina, my former boss who I think was the absolute worst flower shop owner I have ever seen in my life was so unbelieveably clueless, she did every single little thing her TF salespeople and reps told her she "had" to do. She ordered every holiday container because she was told she "had to have them" She got the "Dove" system because she was told that not only did she HAVE to have it, but also that if she didn't she would be breaking the law! I mean, the list goes on and on.

I admire the fact that you have extensive knowledgement and experience in the floral industry. You sound like you are a savvy person.

I am a savvy person- For the most part.

But so many flower shop owners are not. They wise up, but by the time they do they feel as if they have been duped by the very "partner" who claimed to be able to help grow their business.

It wasn't 3 years ago I was having a discussion with a flower shop owner in NW NM. I was trying to explain the evils of OG's- Just Flowers and Blooms Today to be exact. This lady is in her late 60's maybe early 70's and has owned at least 2 successful flower shops in 2 different cities that I know of. Anyway, as I was making my case about how these are the people she should be worrying about and not so much the "crappy flower shop in town" She looked me straight in the face and told me how she doesn't care if she doesn't make money on these orders because it's advertising for her and once people see her flowers they will never use JF or BT!"
Yeah...okey dokey......What was the point in debating, she had her mind made up. And BTW- we are friends.

So fast forward to this years state convention, and she was telling everybody who would listen to her about how horrid these companies and the like are (in her mind). Hummmm. Well whaddya know.

The point is sometimes people have to touch the stove to know it's hot.

The W/S did deceive shops. They did. They directly compete against their shops they have "partnered" with. They do. And they did it in such a sneaky way.

I honestly think that all the WS would truly need to do is kick out OG's period. Kick them out and promote the B&M. Stop directly competing with B&M's and all will be good again.

If drop shippers want to drop ship frozen boxes of flowers- fine. Or even great boxes of flowers- so be it. But the deceptive practices need to stop.

What does Dr. Phil say..."Don't pee on me and tell me it's raining."

At the risk of being shouted down I will state that being AIFD has worked for me financially. But, I made it work for me. It is still working for me financially.
I'm certified too Carol...just got my ACORN certificate, and I'm nuts about it!

Reactions: Carol Bice
Hi Jen,
I agree with you............Anybody ( most anybody ) can be taught how to put a few flowers together.
Unless you are dealing with a total moron.
"Design takes a special talent", that's why I guess we have"talented designers".
We can design something nice for $29.95.......
BUT WE REFUSE and I wish those " Talented designer owners" would do the same.
WE designers/owners of a flower shop would be much better off.
GOT TO START SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately some of these " rare, "talented", business savy florists will tell you that 10 x $29.95= almost $300 clams is worth doing it.
I guess that keeps the "talented designers" busy.
It's one way to see the business and the Wire Services and the OG'S know it that is why they will ALWAYS make money on the back of the "talented designers" and flower shop owners .
Folks, I wish you well,
Good day now.....................Henry:jester
Henry & Sherry FISER
www.countryflorist.net

I'm certified too Carol...just got my ACORN certificate, and I'm nuts about it!
I bet you are...."nuts about it"..........congrats anyway.
I got a question............Do, you and your shop accept and design the $ 29.95 sent by OG'S and WS's? :jester

Henry& Sherry FISER
www.countryflorist.net

I got a question............Do, you and your shop accept and design the $ 29.95 sent by OG'S and WS's? :jester

Henry& Sherry FISER
www.countryflorist.net
<tongue in cheek>........SURE!...in their dreams.......

Henry& Sherry FISER
www.countryflorist.net
<tongue in cheek>........SURE!...in their dreams.......

Reactions: Hollywood
If you think these wages are bad! I'm form the mid west and I was offered a wage less than that and I have tons of experience, needless to say I declined. I know times are tough but I feel I am worth more than that!!

WOW! What a thread....

A few observations....I am CFD and couldn't afford the test but did it anyway to prove to myself that I have talent and that I am not just a flower oker or arranger..From working for years at low wages and being treated in many jobs like anyone could do what I did made me believe that I was just a florist with a few better tricks up my sleeve than others....now I know different, I know I have a boat load of talant...that being said, the biggest reason people don't care about these letters is because florists rarely tell anyone but their peers about it, aska florist who is certified how they feel about their cert and because you are industry they will go on and on about it in coloful detail...ask them the last time they told a client or used it in marketing and most will look at you and say oh noone cares....DUH! Of course noone cares because how the hell are they supposed to care...I use my certification with my clients and prospective clients every minute of every day....it should be as important to them as it is to me or they should have the feeling that it should be important if they don't currently care or have an opinion about it....we will never be able to advance in this area if each and every certified person does not advertise that they are and sing its praises..personal gratification or not it should be worn on your sleave like a badge and sung about on a regular basis...if you never tell anyone you make fruit baskets, chances are noone will care is that a reason not to bother with them, some florists think so and stop and then blame the low ordering on people and then take it one step further and say they weren't profitable because noone ordered them and when they did it was a pain to make them. We as an industry tend to just drop things from the menu when they seem to get forgotten or hard to sell or need to be sold or sold better by another company...it is like a contagion...As an industry, we do tend to love to rationalize our shortcomings by blaming other issues within the industry..it doesn't mean that there is no truth in what we are saying it just is a fact that once there is some sort of resistance we tend to start blaming and stop selling to make up for the loss and then cut back..We are a reactive group rather than a proactive group...Wire services don't care what our costs are so instead of standing up for ourselves and doing the proactive thing and saying we cannot work for this and reject the orders that we cannot afford to fill, we fill tham then adjust the wgaes, rent product quality/cost to reflect what it "needs" to be at...silly on our part no other industry operates like this anywhere...Is that really the ws fault, not by a longshot, they never forced us to fill at such low prices, they didn't make us pay people less, we as a group just fell in line with our position in life and took what we were given and adjusted everything else to fit that....horse before the cart for the love of the business and the passion to do what we want, so many of us would be happy to work for ourselves for free rather than help someone else for 8.00 an hour, my psychiatrist would say that is the worst and most unfair behavior to our selves ever...and it is true...florists are generally kind herated souls, just happy to do what they do getting by with third world pay or less, but @@@@ it we are happy while those flowers are in our hands...SAD very, very SAD!!! I work alone and will do so until I can afford to pay a skilled designer what they are worth...I feel very strongly about that, I ask noone for help unless I can pay them a real wage and can deliver the hours promised...I think that that is fair and feel that for way too many years I was either promised way more than a compnay could fullfill or lied to on what the job entailed so I would sign on for less all the while the company knew I was worth more and intended on getting it from me at the lower wage....thus the reason this designer at heart is waging the war of learning the business end to make a living and right now all I can say is both scenarios suck and with 10 shops under my belt of all kinds and sizes...I think I can say I have first hand knowledge that it is wide spread...

Reactions: theRKF and Molly
I think it's sucks! I have been a designer for over 10 years and want to design, but also help my employer with advertising, marketing and finding the best supplies and flowers at the best cost. I feel like I am pigeon holed into " getting paid not to think". How can anyone who is a "experienced designer" willing to give 120% live and feel good about $12 at the peak of their salary. Some days I wish I chose flowers as a hobby. Not my livelihood. I am also not one of those designers who thinks processing or cleaning buckets is above me.

Reactions: Tuberose
It totally sucks, but it's not a reflection on you or even most likely on your employer. Retail is low paying for the most part and in a bad economy it's even worse. Believe me, I would pay my help better if I could afford to. Since I can't at this point I do give lots of perks and very flexible hours. Certainly, nobody could support a family on what they get paid at my shop, but they can take time off, work mother's hours, take home flowers, bring dogs to work, bring kids to work, etc. etc. We have fun at work and we love what we do. I wish we made a ton of money, too, but it could be worse. We could be miserable in addition to being poor!

I think it's sucks! I have been a designer for over 10 years and want to design, but also help my employer with advertising, marketing and finding the best supplies and flowers at the best cost. I feel like I am pigeon holed into " getting paid not to think". How can anyone who is a "experienced designer" willing to give 120% live and feel good about $12 at the peak of their salary. Some days I wish I chose flowers as a hobby. Not my livelihood. I am also not one of those designers who thinks processing or cleaning buckets is above me.

You're a dream Molly and what I wish I had. Small shops especially need people like you! If you think $12 is bad try being the owner and making less than that most months. I had 2 people this week say they would love to work for me after they retire from their current professions. I'm positive about my shop and love what I do but I can't help but feel they put money before passion and enjoyment. Did they make the smarter choice....probably

I know what you guys are saying..I get it. I'd rather have roses on my table, than diamonds around my neck. I just wish things were different. But, I am grateful to have found a passion at a young age and am proud of myself for having the bravery to stand behind it.

Hey Molly, Don't get too discouraged. There are plenty of florists that do make good money and become the industry rock stars. You may have what it takes to be that kind of florist if you want it badly enough. I love the small town day to day life in a flower shop and never wanted to do a lot of shows or travel. I was able to raise two kids and spend time with them (except for the flower holidays) and made a pretty good living until the recession hit.

My new girl started this week, she is 20 and worked in another shop for a few years. Today we made wrist corsages the right way. They use glue guns to assemble.(scary I know) She was so tickled with her corsages that she took pics of each one with her phone. They were really good. It's so refreshing to have young enthusiasm in the shop again. It makes me happy and hopeful too.

My new girl started this week, she is 20 and worked in another shop for a few years. Today we made wrist corsages the right way. They use glue guns to assemble.(scary I know) She was so tickled with her corsages that she took pics of each one with her phone. They were really good. It's so refreshing to have young enthusiasm in the shop again. It makes me happy and hopeful too.

GOOD GAWD!!!
Glue Guns! That just pisses me off! AHHHH!!!!
I will never for the life of me understand how shops that do stupid crap stay in business. They HAD to fall apart. I just can't imagine. (((((sigh))))))

GOOD GAWD!!!
Glue Guns! That just pisses me off! AHHHH!!!!
I will never for the life of me understand how shops that do stupid crap stay in business. They HAD to fall apart. I just can't imagine. (((((sigh))))))
They still use shread in all their vase arrangements too. She was afraid to apply with me because she didn't think she could do vases without it. Big crutch. The thing I love is she really wants to learn. Yay for me!

They still use shread in all their vase arrangements too. She was afraid to apply with me because she didn't think she could do vases without it. Big crutch. The thing I love is she really wants to learn. Yay for me!

You have GOT to be KIDDING me! OMG! What!? what?! WHAT!!!!!
I think My blood pressure just went up 75 points. OMG. seriously I have an instant head ache. And now my stomach hurts...And all the sudden- I have heart burn. Now I just shuttered.
that just makes me so angry.

WHY WHY WHY would anybody buy from a "REAL FLORIST" if this is the kind of out of date yuck they would get.

TRUE STORY- When I met Stu for the first time one of his reasons for wanting to help me is because he specifically said he is tired of being embarassed when he orders flowers and what gets sent. He actually said "And that just makes me not want to ever send flowers again."

Reactions: KABERS
he is tired of being embarassed when he orders flowers and what gets sent. He actually said "And that just makes me not want to ever send flowers again."

And there it is right there.

Florists are not taking the education opportunities, often completely free except their time, to learn how to keep up.

I have also been to shows where the grumbling around me is almost too much for me to keep my mouth shut. I go to these shows to learn new trends, tips, and ideas. Listening to so many florists grumble and speak up about how they don't like this or that about the new way of doing things, I can't help but thinking that this is one of the really big problems in our industry.

Why even attend if they don't intend to use that information?