Seems silly but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, we've definitely done research; what I'm trying to do is research to see what florists think is going on - we want to make sure we understand what perception exists among florist shops. :)

Thanks!!

Nichole:

Well, you have finally slipped up, and revealed what you truly are doing on this board -- spying on Real Florists! Most of us have known that for a while --- we just were waiting till you got confident in playing your role here, and slipped up.

We, the real florists, are quite tired of being used -- my wire services who think that we should get down on bended knee and kiss the Pope's ring because "TF is getting us more orders"! Quite frankly, NO THANK YOU!!!!!!

TF has Dummed down all design work, and all prices to the point where there is NO profits in any TF wire in order any more. You keep shoving on us awful designs for holiday work -- containers that are over priced and very product under valued. You (TF) refuses to give any more money for delivery -- $7.00 is all you get -- in any part of the country..........

And then you have the nerve to come on this board and finally tell us the TF is doing research to see what "we think about the TF - PF partnership & how it affects our order volume?"

Our "perception" is REALITY, miss.
PF has made it quite apparent that they DISLIKE FLORISTS ENORMOUSLY......AND WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO PUT EVERY REAL FLORIST OUT OF BUSINESS.

How dare TF think that this is a "perception" that florists have that this is bad. Do you think that we are really, really that stupid??

Just the fact that you have framed your response in the above manner seriously offends me. TF really has no CLUE AT ALL!!

Cheryl

I'm actually not researching the partnership with PF, and I really didn't mean to imply that anyone's perceptions were wrong in anyway. It's actually for a project in which we're trying to DECREASE the number of orders going to drop shippers and so I really want to understand where florists are coming from on the drop shipping discussion from a business perspective. I apologize that I didn't make that plain enough.

As for my being a 'spy', I've been pretty open all along, so if my intents were less than open or honorable, I wouldn't have included Teleflora in my name or been so open about what my interests are. I want to know what you think, not try to subvert anything that's happening or drive the discussions. For the most part, you'll notice that I participate in areas that I know and generally try not to get involved or pursue my employers bias when talking about Teleflora. I think it's healthy and important to express your opinion, but I do hope you realize I'm by no means a spy or trying to convince you of things that I can't provide valid reasons for believing.

I apologize if my earlier response seemed like I was trying to in any way offend or imply that you were less than intelligent. Please know that I'm hear because I'm trying my best to listen and share a florist's perspective (as much as I can learn to do) with the people here.

Reactions: kt4ye and duanermb
RWK - The reason we've taken orders from ProFlowers is because it's another avenue to get orders (What kind of orders - arranged or boxed ) into LOCAL shops. ( Will these be profitable orders for us to fill? ) As far as I hear from management up through Lynda and Stewart Resnick, there are no plans to change our focus from bouquets that are 100% sourced to our member shops. There's never any guarantee that I know the future of our company, but I feel pretty secure that this is a strategy they're still very committed to.

(How does this take business dollars AWAY from Proflowers? )

Reactions: Flowers By Faith
RWK - The reason we've taken orders from ProFlowers is because it's another avenue to get orders into LOCAL shops. As far as I hear from management up through Lynda and Stewart Resnick, there are no plans to change our focus from bouquets that are 100% sourced to our member shops. There's never any guarantee that I know the future of our company, but I feel pretty secure that this is a strategy they're still very committed to.

Delivering a professionall, quality product to the recipient is the responsiblility of the local florist. And the recipient may really come to think a lot of a flower shop that has delivered quality time and time again.... But that really doesn't matter. The recipient didn't order the flowers and pay for them, the customer did. And what does the customer know? He knows ProFlowers did an excellent job on the flowers he ordered and will probably go back to them the next time.

The florist doesn't make much at all, if any, on a heavily discounted incoming order. Compound that with the fact that outgoing wire orders are being stolen by these order gatherers and you have a recipie for disaster.

Teleflora can either side with ProFlowers and the other order gatherers or it can side with the florists, it cannot do both. Teleflora's chance of long term survival is diminished every time it accepts an order from an OG because sooner or later it will have no member shops to send the orders to either because they've bankrupted filling all these unprofitable orders or because they've dropped wire services.

RWK - The reason we've taken orders from ProFlowers is because it's another avenue to get orders into LOCAL shops. As far as I hear from management up through Lynda and Stewart Resnick, there are no plans to change our focus from bouquets that are 100% sourced to our member shops. There's never any guarantee that I know the future of our company, but I feel pretty secure that this is a strategy they're still very committed to.

Since everyone else is doing it, I'll try my hand at this quote too.

The reason we've taken orders from ProFlowers is because it's another avenue to get orders into LOCAL shops.

Translation: If we (Teleflora) don't align with ProFlowers, then someone else (FTD and/or 1-800) will. It's a dOG eat dOG world in the floral industry and we have to hold our ground in order to stay alive.

There's never any guarantee that I know the future of our company, but I feel pretty secure that this is a strategy they're still very committed to.

Translation: I (NicoleAtTF) need to put in a disclaimer to my post, because there is a chance that I may be misinformed.

People do NOT have to buy flowers. If they trade with "all the best national brands" and do not get their money's worth, many WILL NOT keep trying. They will simply abandon buying flowers altogether.

And I believe that is what is happening right now!

I disagree Bill,

Everything we have read points to flower sales increasing year over year, as it should as the population increases. It is just now distributed to many more vendors, and we have to deal with plain and simple.

Although I am not TF, as I stated, I agree with their decision to get more orders through PF. (TF isn't supporting PF in this situation, PF is supporting TF and their network to everyone's advantage)

- Order margin shouldn't change much if the agreement is sound. The orders are low margin, and it's not PF issue, but a TF issue that some choose to support, others not.

- PF WOULD and COULD create their own network or ally with someone else, at a detriment to the members due to loss/lack of orders.

Where I agree with you, is that PF needs to get out of the gutter with pricing and stop trying to compete against their pricing. A drop ship customer is not a florists customer, and perhaps this is one way of making that distinction.

While "supporting the drop shipper" has been said to be a terrible idea all around, I would have to say it's only the surface that looks that way. TF can't beat PF. It is not possible to offer that level of pricing.

In fact, as a non big 3 wire shop, we should be the most threatened by this. To us, it's a horrible thing! Now PF has the ability to send same-day, provide better product and retain customers. That's really bad for the WS free!

But on the other hand, this is a discussion about TFs decision, and for their florists, great decision to get orders for their partners. <--- The ones who like getting those orders.

Wow, been away for a few days and missed all these posts. Let me answer you Nicole, but before I do, I think you're great for TF and a smart person. It's too bad, imo, that you are caught up with TF.
The funny thing is, those flowers from Proflowers would usually have been drop-shipped, so if we're looking at it from the aspect of keeping floral customers in the industry (a theme I've seen in the 3 prior posts here), at least TF hiring a local florist to fill those orders gives those customers the chance to have a better experience.

Just playing a little devil's advocate.

OR.... trust the corporations (TFTD1800) to have your back to say no to PF and watch PF's bottom line drop, instead of sky rocket and compete against the loyal flroits to TF. Yeah TF would of lost money, but they could of held their heads high knowing they did what was best for the their loyal members.

I know that is naive to think a company these days are for the florists 100%, but why can't there be a business model out there that protects the real florists and helps them grow, and not their owners' pockets? I know TF did the right business thing, but I question the morality of their business plan. Maybe they are in too deep to change or keep a moral model in which they are 100% for the florists, meaning they help their florists combat businesses such as PF. My weakness as a businessman is I think with my heart sometimes, then with my mind. But why why why can these corps say, being loyal to our members might lose us money up front, but keep their loyalty for the long haul.

Something went really wrong when the corporations above started thinking about their investors and not their loyal hard working florists who made them what they are today. Because of this injustice, I will spend the rest of my life to correct it. Supporting the ones (florists) who built you up 100% is what I see as business sustainability, because the truth is the reason why a lot of florists choose TF is because you are the better of 3 evils, but there will be something better in the future...there has to be. This good ol boy club and model doesn't work in an age of information.

TF makes a lot of money off of PF orders right now and if I were a TF florists, I'd be less likely to be loyal to TF if something better comes a long. Be honest Nicole, TF took on PF to raise their bottom line, not to help real florists. Duane is right from a $ stance, I am making a moral argument, which doesn't stand up, I know, in capitalism. :)

But hey, look on the bright side, this PR work you are doing now and getting paid for, beats anything those college professors could ever teach you! Keep your head up! I really like you, it's your employee whom I have an issue with. :) - If you can deal with these tough old birds here you can handle anything.

TF makes a lot of money off of PF orders right now and if I were a TF florists,

After paying the rebate to PF I don't think they make a lot of money on the particular order. Pro Flowers does. Teleflora makes their money by keeping members paying memberships fee and other costs to being a member. While a few criticize Teleflora for taking their orders it is exactly what their membership is asking for. More orders.
All wire service low ball what they advertise to the florist is the delivery charge. Not sure why they even say what it is. Basically they send orders out for a total amount and florist decide if they are going to fill or not. I see most getting filled.

Oh, we've definitely done research; what I'm trying to do is research to see what florists think is going on - we want to make sure we understand what perception exists among florist shops. :)

Thanks!!
Understand, that florists are continually becoming leery of any "company order" that they can not verify as coming from another Real Florist.

They (I) believe that and "company order" is a gathered order, and thus counterproductive to the long term good health of the industry.

BOSS's Quote of the day!

We, the real florists, are quite tired of being used -- my wire services who think that we should get down on bended knee and kiss the Pope's ring because "TF is getting us more orders"! Quite frankly, NO THANK YOU!!!!!!

Our "perception" is REALITY, miss.
PF has made it quite apparent that they DISLIKE FLORISTS ENORMOUSLY......AND WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO PUT EVERY REAL FLORIST OUT OF BUSINESS.

Cheryl
I concur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better product my butt

"In fact, as a non big 3 wire shop, we should be the most threatened by this. To us, it's a horrible thing! Now PF has the ability to send same-day, provide better product and retain customers. That's really bad for the WS free!"Yep, I'm just shaking with fear over here in WS free land.

Reactions: mikec and inferno63
I just want to put my spin on this argument once again... I say BUNK!

Just because I got a lemon of a car, does not mean I did not buy another one. Just because I fell off a bicycle does not mean I quit riding one. Just because the grass seed I planted did not preform, does not mean I did not reseed again.
I guess I did not make my point. Or you have chosen to ignore it. You HAVE to have a car (or a bicycle) to get around. So you MUST keep trying until you finally find a means of transportation that is acceptable.

But what if EVERY TIME that everybody using grass seed got bad results? They would stop using grass seed and go with an alternate form of ground treatment... like bare ground and native cacti. Doubt it? Drive through any suburban Tucson neighborhood. Not a blade of grass to be found. And the folks that tried to sell grass seed there are OUT OF BUSINESS.

I also get phone calls (and internet orders) from out of state customers that are tired of being scrod (that's the plus-perfect subjunctive of the verb) by national floral marketers. But I still get MORE orders from HQ and from OGs.

And the floral market size is STILL shrinking, no matter how much anecdotal evidence we wish to rely on in lieu of the facts.

All the best!

Bill

I also get phone calls (and internet orders) from out of state customers that are tired of being scrod (that's the plus-perfect subjunctive of the verb) by national floral marketers. But I still get MORE orders from HQ and from OGs.
And you always will if you (and others) continue to enable the deception by filling them.

No Bill, I did not miss or ignore your point, I just do not happen to agree with the concept that if a consumer get's burned by a national marketer that they stop buying flowers all together. The markets changing yes, and in areas declining. But I attribute that more to the allowance by local florists of letting national companies do the advertising, and accepting the junk they get sent.

Yes, the floral market is shrinking, I agree. But it's very obvious that many florists would rather continue to accept junk discounted orders and enable the very companies that are taking the biggest chunk of the profit out of the industry to thrive, rather than adjust their businesses down, curtailing capacity to be profitable without the added volume of junk discounted orders. Eventually it will happen anyway, as more shops close, and those of us left that do not enable survive.

BTW, I thought Tuscon and other SW climes legislated "natural landscaping" that required little in the way of watering, not "natural competitive elimination" due to marketing efforts.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: kt4ye and TOTO
And you always will if you (and others) continue to enable the deception by filling them.

I said that I GET more orders. I did not say I FILLED them. We look at each order from a profitability standpoint. For example, if I get three OG/HQ orders going to the same location, I get $21 (discounted to $15) for a delivery that costs me -- maybe -- $5. And buying direct, my COGS is usually lower than TF's calculations.

So I should NOT fill these orders and lose PROFITS just to "show the OGs who is boss?" Not on my watch, sir.

No Bill, I did not miss or ignore your point, I just do not happen to agree with the concept that if a consumer get's burned by a national marketer that they stop buying flowers all together.

Please, Mark. I clearly did NOT say that they stop buying flowers altogether. If that were the case, the market would have completely collapsed. And not ALL customers of TFTD800PF are unhappy. And, with the exception of PF, THAT fact is due almost entirely to the professional REAL florists that do a GREAT job of crafting and delivering a quality product that meets the customer's needs.

But enough customers have stopped buying that I believe it represents the reason why the floral curve turned down long before Lehman Brothers failed.

<snip>
Yes, the floral market is shrinking, I agree.
See, Duane! (Although maybe the recession is over in Canada. But how could THAT be? After all, your country didn't have a "stimulus package" to fix things!) But I digress!
But it's very obvious that many florists would rather continue to accept junk discounted orders and enable the very companies that are taking the biggest chunk of the profit out of the industry to thrive, rather than adjust their businesses down, curtailing capacity to be profitable without the added volume of junk discounted orders. Eventually it will happen anyway, as more shops close, and those of us left that do not enable survive.

Yep. This is A business model that can work. Except for the florists that have ALREADY cut to the bone. And THEY have to close their doors -- like the half-dozen or more here in Charlotte already have done.

The sad thing is that, if TFTD800 would simply adjust their rules so that delivery charges were not discounted, and -- perhaps -- change the commission structure to add an additional -- say -- 5% to the filling florist, a LOT of the REAL florist's angst would go away!

BTW, I thought Tuscon and other SW climes legislated "natural landscaping" that required little in the way of watering, not "natural competitive elimination" due to marketing efforts.

I suspect that it was a little of both, but if you go out of the municipal areas, you don't find houses with beautiful green grass.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nah! You're too nice a guy to fight with.

At Least Nicole is Trying......

Unlike most WS Reps, at least Nicole is trying to find answers by surveying WEE REAL FLORISTS who are on the front lines.

For most WS reps and employees, it's BUSINESS AS USUAL while touting their company's mantras, by HOOK or by CROOK.

I remember one FSR/BSC back in the post sale day when he made this statement to me: "MY ALLEGIANCE IS TO THE COMPANY THAT SIGNS MY PAYCHECK!"

His statement said it all, so end of that story.

And WEE REAL FLORISTS should accept this reality since it's never gonna change regardless of our wants and needs.

The good news is in the fact that, this philosophy works both ways.

Our allegiance must be to OURSELVES FIRST since it BEE US who signs our own PAYROLL CHECKS.

Which also means that our PRIMARY ALLEGIANCE must always be to our own customers FIRST, since they are the ones who enable us to make the money which eventually goes towards our paychecks.

And, pardon me, but I find it amazing when any florist suggests that; For the GOOD OF THE INDUSTRY and benefit of the floral consumer, they feel obligated to fill a highly discounted order from either a DOT.CON or an Order Gatherer with their TOP QUALITY PRODUCT and PROFESSIONAL $ERVICE, even if it means they STUFF an inferior design and loose money on it as well. What's up with that philosophy? Do they think someone is going to come along and give them an award or plaque for being a GOOD GUY? On this one point alone, Mark and mee are solidly together. "SEND THEIR JUNK TO THE JUNKYARD!"

Nicole's company mindset revelation (I don't fault her) is in the statement she made and most likely believes, when she suggests "A WIRE SERVICE HIRES A FLORIST" (to fill their TOO HIGHLY DISCOUNTED ORDERS)

While that statement is 100% true, and most filling florists fall into that category, it is quite frankly, THE ANOMOLY within our industry.

What other group would PAY ANOTHER COMPANY to add profits to their bottom line, only to have that company turn around and HIRE THEM to be their subcontracted vendor filling orders with TOO LOW SRP's, FREE LABOR and $ERVICE, and TOO LITTLE, if any, RETURN for all their efforts?

The reality that OUR INDUSTRY has changed is a given.

WEE FLORISTS have gotten hit in the wallet from every which way and UP TOO!

From WS CONSUMER WEBSITES to their ORDER GATHERER AFFILIATES to DROP SHIPPERS to Stupermarkets to Big Boxers to Gas Stations to National Pharmacy Chains to National Department Stores to Caterers on the take to Funeral Directors on the take and to everyone and their mother too, (did I miss anyone?) now selling flowers, the RECESSION may be the final straw for many Hard working Mom and Pops and their coattailers too.

No one has any real answers, I'm sorry to say, so we're all left with the many questions.

Certainly, the place we once had in the consumer's mind 20 years ago, when WE WERE KING OF THEIR LAST MINUTE GIFT HILL, seems to have been replaced by a myriad of competitor choices, all of which market LOW PRICE POINTS now, with some even close to our own wholesale costs.

And, the consumer's wallet dictates their choice while many of them are willing to give up quality and $ervice in favor of lower prices as they too, try to make ends meet under Government's unbearable burdens.

In the end, we have to ask ourselves; "What's left for us then and what market niche, if any, can we continue to exploit, which will enable us to continue to earn a living, rather than JUST TRY TO SURVIVE?"

I wish I could offer an answer to that question.

Many of you have already covered most of these same points in your responses, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

So, rather than fault Nicole for trying, I'll give her KUDOS and ACCOLADES for having the Chutzpah to get into the fray and ask the hard questions.

Suffice it to say that, Wire Services are not the ENEMY! However, be assured that, THEY ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS either! Their mission will always be to SIGN THEIR OWN PAYCHECKS, not ours.

My favorite all time quote is from President Ronald Reagan when he told us one of many things, WE, THE PEOPLE, should always fear.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
:axe

(How does this take business dollars AWAY from Proflowers? )
How it's been explained to me is that the orders we send to shops through the partnership with PF are arranged, not boxed. I can't accurately answer the question about profitability - I've learned from Flower Chat that different florists find profits in different methods, so if I said yes, it probably wouldn't be true across the board. Shops need to accept or decline the order based on their own calculation of profitability.

As for how it takes business dollars away from ProFlowers, we hope that florists will include their shop information and actively market to those customers, achieving a certain number of customers lost to PF because customers had a good experience with that particular shop and want to become loyalists.

How it's been explained to me is that the orders we send to shops through the partnership with PF are arranged, not boxed. I can't accurately answer the question about profitability - I've learned from Flower Chat that different florists find profits in different methods, so if I said yes, it probably wouldn't be true across the board. Shops need to accept or decline the order based on their own calculation of profitability.

As for how it takes business dollars away from ProFlowers, we hope that florists will include their shop information and actively market to those customers, achieving a certain number of customers lost to PF because customers had a good experience with that particular shop and want to become loyalists.

This is the key statement that makes this all a farce...We all know that most flower receivers are not flower senders...we as filling florists are on the wrong end of the information to really get much out of our marketing efforts to make it worth while...as a marketer you should know this...

All the order gatherers know this, as well as 800tftd....senders info is the holy grail of marketing information...you can market to recipients until the cows come home but all it will do is put you out of business...because they are recipients, I have been filling orders for 3 1/2 years for tf and 800-flowers and have gotten many local customers from my beautiful designs, but not enough to bother marketing to the rest, it is a rarity that a recipient becomes a local loyal consumer, not impossible but not common...

PF knows that they are losing a key component to their market with same day delivery, they want the names of all those senders so they can market to them as well as their regular drop ship customers, this is the reason it is bad for us...Those of us who fill a bit too much, and I am one of them, it sends your profit margin out of whack and the first place we all must cy=ut is marketing and advertising, I have seen this over 25 years to be true in almost all markets, not the smartest move but neccessary to survive....for many the WS were a neccessary part of business and florists did not see anyway out of this but to beg them for more business, not even realizing it was this business putting them into the problems they were in to begin with....

Florists today are getting more number savvy and are questioning the need for WS..it is much easier for the little guys to find a florist elsewhere and put it on the credit card....bypassing the ws fees and keeping their customers happy...for most this would suffice, for myself it would suffice, I DO NOT NEED TF or 800-flowers, 800-flowers is going in November and TF will be next when my obligations are up to them, because I don't need anymore discounted business and it is not helping my business it may just be hurting it...after 800 is gone I will have to see if the ratio of 100% orders to incoming is better before I totally make that decision...This last year I have had to scale back my ads and marketing because I wasn't being seen in back of 4 full page ads that I may as well be paying for by none other than, 800-flowers, fyf, blooms today and ftd....if they are finding me it is simply because they are looking for me to begin with and why do I have to pay someone 200.00 a month for that....

anyway, I digress....the biggest problem with TF getting together with PF is that they will strengthen their brand as a same day provider. PF will immediately try to turn their drop shippers into arrangement buyers using their power of email lists and marketing ways...they will be pushing all of the 34.99-39.99 TF web bouquets, that are profitable when selling them at 100% and the delivery goes perfect the first time, but in the hands of call center idiots, the miscommunications that happen all fall on us with redeliveries and lost arrangements from agents not getting back to us in time....meanwhile those of us who work our butts off for all our arrangements trying to carve a niche in our own markets even the ones for ws get nothing but a kick in the ass in the end when the electric company and the phone company and the tax man come and put locks on the doors and cut the utilities....

Rant over, Nicole I do appreciate what you are trying to do....and I do hope that TF sees what they are doing to the industry...I do hope they change for the good of our industry...But I think that Lynday and Stewart like their mansion on the hill and I believe that they will ride this out as long as it is profitable without change for us, as it is stupid for any of us to expect that because business is business....and TF is not their primary or only business and they do not have their whole life riding on it to survive...Should TF start showing signs of toppling they will just sell it and move on no skin off their back....and leave the problems up to another rich investor willing to give the flower world a stab....

<snip>

Hello Nicole...

This is a fairly common error. A customer is someone that buys flowers. A recipient is someone that receives flowers.

Most REAL flower shops have learned that a recipient is (usually) not a buyer. On occasions, I have found recipients that become customers or recommend us to their senders. But that is a "seldom" occasion!

I suspect TF knows this already! :dunce

BTW, thank you for starting this thread!

Bill

Reactions: TOTO and NicoleAtTF
Status
Not open for further replies.