Not open for further replies.

Flowerchatter03

Co-Owner and Floral Composer
Oct 14, 2007
Cross Lanes
www.crosslanesfloral.com
State / Prov
West Virginia
After reading many different posts regarding B&M florists, home based florists, event florists etc. and considering how much flowerchat has grown, is it possible to add a catagory much like the social groups but broken down by type of business?

For example, you could have a B&M florists area where it would be limited to B&M florists and you would need to ask for inclusion rather than open to everyone. There could also be one for home based business, one for wholesalers, etc.

That way, for those who don't wish to "give away their secrets" can have a forum of like minded florists to conversate with.

Just a thought.......

Have you looked at the "social groups"? They can be by invitation only, so that posts are only read by those with a password ... may work for what you're seeking - there are several set up already.

Pat (Flowerchatter03),

I really like this idea. Thanks for making the suggestion.

Carolyn

After reading many different posts regarding B&M florists, home based florists, event florists etc. and considering how much flowerchat has grown, is it possible to add a catagory much like the social groups but broken down by type of business?

For example, you could have a B&M florists area where it would be limited to B&M florists and you would need to ask for inclusion rather than open to everyone. There could also be one for home based business, one for wholesalers, etc.

That way, for those who don't wish to "give away their secrets" can have a forum of like minded florists to conversate with.

Just a thought.......
This was asked about a few weeks ago, and after discussion amongst the Administrators it was decided that we were not going to create another space(s) within the community for numerous reasons, not the least of which we do not have the time to monitor/maintain another area of FlowerChat.

What you have asked for can be created within the Social Group area, with passwords. For those of you that wish to follow this method, feel free to do so. You will be responsible for membership in each area, so you would need someone to vette owners, freelance, home based etc, with a person doing so for each area.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

I too like this idea but would prefer it as a forum than a social group as i am not sure many would use the forum group. I would hate for anyone to feel not included though who contributes regular.

Reactions: greatflowerlady
The social groups are a great way to keep sensitive information low key. I have set one up for Facebook. (If anyone wants to join let me know).

Private messages work especially well when there is a hot topic.

I know we want to try keep our shared experiences to whom ever we feel should see it. But I still think limiting the access to information being shared so willing by others is a big mistake and a little selfish.

Because of Flowerchat I have learned so much and have continued to grow our business. It would be a shame to start segregating the board.

Pat,

I went into Community then to Social Groups as suggested by Tracy just to ses what it would take to do this.

The result is that we now have a B & M group. It created itself under my name, but since you suggested it, perhaps we could get Boss to tell us how to either redo it to make you the keeper of the new social group or whatever.

Pat PM me if you want to and we'll talk about it.

Before the misconception of snobbery starts. B&M's would still post on the regular forum, but anything they want to say to each other only could be said on the Community Social Group Forum. After all the Event Florist already have a Social group, and I'm not crying or concerned that I've not been invited in...I shouldn't be.

Please everyone be calm and open about this, lets not make it a big issue. Let's make Flower Chat better.Thank you Boss for your offer of help.

Carolyn

Thanks Boss, since it was Pats' idea, I think she should have that honor.

By the way we've had our first request for membership.

Welcome Palms (Paula) to our B & M Group.

OOOppps I was wrong (write it down Jon)...

The person that created the group can not be changed. I can delete the group, and she can create a new one if you like. Let me know.

Keep in mind folks, when you post to these groups, only those in your group will see the posts, so you will only get feedback from those in your group and not the general membership of FlowerChat.

The special event group is open invitation. However, it is not really or regularly used by it's members. Anyone who requests to join is welcomed. And it's members include all types of businesses. Any thread started there can be found on the regular threads.

Really, wether your a B&M or private, we all share the same issues and concerns in one way or another. Make sure you subdivide the B&M group down to categories too, like weddings, because should you choose to hide wedding information from people like me, we may start feeling the need to stop sharing too.

It's kind of a great thing to ask a question and get a well rounded answer, unless there is no conceivable concern you might have or your at the point where you know everything.

Thom,

I knew you would be around soon, Please don't start a devisive thread.

First in reply to you, we don't all share the exact same issues, you don't pay rent or mortgage or taxes on a B&M location do you? That's just one of many differences. I'm happy for you that you are a high end event florist in DC and have lots of fun meeting celebritys and raking in the money. But the reality is that most B&M shops are not that way.

It's a social group for Gods sake. Everyone will still talk on the main forum.
Threatening to stop talking is childish. By the way are you an only child?
That is asked as informational, not ugly.

Reactions: 1 person
No Carolyn, I'm the oldest of three from a mean old strict father that gave me the it's your fault the world is not well mentality. How bout you?

By the way I wasn't threatening anyone, I was voicing my concern, should I voice that concern on the Special Event Group?

Has a bit of a segregate feel to me as well, so today my opinion will count only as a bb or freelancer or whatever you may wish to label and on saturday when I will actually be armed with my own bm shop keys I can be included?!? Yippie!
I love the fact FC is such a diverse mixture of all angles of the flowerworld and like to think we have all learned from eachother,
I also think that if you made it a seperate BM social group but open to everyone, you will probably find most bb, freelance etc wont be interested in joining anyway.
ps has everyone seen Thoms website, know a few bm shops that could learn a lot from it

Well Thom, I'm the youngest girl (have a younger brother). But I don't think 59 is young, and certainly not a young as many of you here. I'm a Leo, suppose that means I'm a leader, or scrapper at the least, and maintain a healthy dose of moral indignation. Keep my soap box close by, and not afraid to speak my opinions. But I don't look for trouble.

I'm also a caretaker, and will stand up for the underdog everytime. Not wealthy but have independent incomes so that I could close the doors of my shop and walk away, but I love this business and choose not to do that. If I can help someone build a website, or advise them some way, then that's what I'll do. Sitting in a rocking chair is not my style.

As an aside, it has been said by others that sometimes they don't understand anything you say...maybe it's a guy/gal brain thing, but I don't fully understand you sometimes either. Ha.

Carolyn

Reactions: TGDragonfly
Can we please not turn this into anything other than it is. Its a social group.

Thom, I have no idea why you feel the need to defend basement betties when you do not fit the real criteria for one anyway. Everytime a bb gets mentioned, you pop up. Its not you against the world mate;)

For the record, i have joined and its nothing to do with anyone who posts on here, its more for the lurkers and readers only. I know of one who is actually a competitor of mine in the wedding business.

OOOppps I was wrong (write it down Jon)...

The person that created the group can not be changed. I can delete the group, and she can create a new one if you like. Let me know.

Keep in mind folks, when you post to these groups, only those in your group will see the posts, so you will only get feedback from those in your group and not the general membership of FlowerChat.

Please don't change it for me. I am not a computer literate person and would gladly give the honor to whomever can handle the responsibility.
When it comes to computer technology, I'm a little :jester

I can not figure how to join!!

Susan

You have to be invited or send a PM to the admin of the group.

Hey it would be nice if the Social Group would have some way of alerting its members when new post are made.

This is the problem that I am seeing starting the Facebook Group. (Hint Hint) hardly any of its members are posting (Hint Hint).

So guess what I'm the only one talking and I'm not getting too many ideas.

This is "very good example" of what can happen if you decide to segregate the population here.

Need those fresh new ideas from the aray of flowerchat members whether your a designer, B&M Shop, working out of your home, wholeseller, driver, bucket cleaner or order gatherer.

count me in the 'it's a bad idea' club to be separatists.

I want the perspective of the high end event florist who hobknobs with the pretty people.

I want the persepective of the small town florist who struggles to find customers, who knows the life stories of their customers.

I want the perspective of the fabulously successful florist who is willing to share whatever scraps I can scarf up.

I want it all, and I want to put my own .02 in where all of those florists can read if if they deem it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.