Subforums of chatters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Thom, I'm the youngest girl (have a younger brother). But I don't think 59 is young, and certainly not a young as many of you here. I'm a Leo, suppose that means I'm a leader, or scrapper at the least, and maintain a healthy dose of moral indignation. Keep my soap box close by, and not afraid to speak my opinions. But I don't look for trouble.

I'm also a caretaker, and will stand up for the underdog everytime. Not wealthy but have independent incomes so that I could close the doors of my shop and walk away, but I love this business and choose not to do that. If I can help someone build a website, or advise them some way, then that's what I'll do. Sitting in a rocking chair is not my style.

As an aside, it has been said by others that sometimes they don't understand anything you say...maybe it's a guy/gal brain thing, but I don't fully understand you sometimes either. Ha.

Carolyn

That's ok, I'm a Gemini, and my closest don't understand me either. But thanks for sharing. I had you all wrong.

Let's keep in perspective what we're talking about - it's a social group, designed to be a subset of the community. That's what they are there for. The people who will participate in a social group are those who want to interact with that subset.

If you want the full input of the community, you can use the forums as usual.

Side note: In the next version of vB, due in late August or September, there will be tighter integration between the social groups and main forums.

Thom thats funny...I was married to a Gemini once, must be a "subset" of Geminis out there as well, those with backbone (you) and those without. Ha!

Ryan thank you for clearly explaining that it would just be a social group and take nothing away from the Forum.

Have been getting questions abut how to join, Ryan can you explain to everyone how that works. I would imagine it is much like befriending...Thanks!

Can we please not turn this into anything other than it is. Its a social group.

Thom, I have no idea why you feel the need to defend basement betties when you do not fit the real criteria for one anyway. Everytime a bb gets mentioned, you pop up. Its not you against the world mate;)

For the record, i have joined and its nothing to do with anyone who posts on here, its more for the lurkers and readers only. I know of one who is actually a competitor of mine in the wedding business.

Whatcha think I would do? I am all ready excluded because I am not B&M and my request to join is left to one person who has voiced their premise.

I'm not trying to turn this. It just smells of segregation starting with post one. I have nothing against social groups, but the premise started in this thread is to restrict information from others, am I right?

I don't jump to the rescue of BB's I've given a red dot before, but if someone comes with a valid and current floral related business as far as my 30 second research will confirm, then I will vote yes, because I know from that small intro post lies a lifetime of experience of which I might be able to learn something from. And if someone is being shallow minded I will speak up because I have opinions too.

If the social group is or b and m, and you have DECIDED that you dont want to be a b and m, why are people so upset about this.

listen, the minute i get thin, i will be out the social group for overweight fcers. No probs for me, i wont take it personal.

I also dont take it personal that i am not invited to join the events florists social group, i am not a event florist.

If i have a private question that i do not want thousands of people to have access to (the lurkers), then i would find this a useful place. It could be called the regular posters social group for all i care, i just want somewhere slightly private in case i need it to talk specifics with people i can trust.

If we can look at this with a little bit of left brain thinking rather than emotional (right brained thinking). It's like this. 100 years ago, schools had one room. Everyone was taught by the same teacher. As populations grew, there were more students. Some students were in Reader 1 others were in Reader 5. They each need different teachings, etc. Today there are multiple rooms but the same school houses all.

There is absolutely no reason to get anyone's dander up. This is just an opportunity for businesses who specialize in one area of the floral industry to talk about subjects that they have in common.

If we can look at this with a little bit of left brain thinking rather than emotional (right brained thinking). It's like this. 100 years ago, schools had one room. Everyone was taught by the same teacher. As populations grew, there were more students. Some students were in Reader 1 others were in Reader 5. They each need different teachings, etc.

Let's say I am assigned to 'Reader 1' class. If there's no class today, can I come and sit in 'Reader 5' class?

Or is there something going on in 'Reader 5' class that I'm not supposed to know?

I want it all, and I want to put my own .02 in where all of those florists can read if if they deem it worthwhile.

If Tom Meola wants to join FC, I will vote 'yes.' Then I will watch Meola vs CHR/BOSS death match from a safe distance.

Oh by the way, he sill owes me $700 (I have a judgement against his now defunct company).

If we can look at this with a little bit of left brain thinking rather than emotional (right brained thinking). It's like this. 100 years ago, schools had one room. Everyone was taught by the same teacher. As populations grew, there were more students. Some students were in Reader 1 others were in Reader 5. They each need different teachings, etc. Today there are multiple rooms but the same school houses all.

There is absolutely no reason to get anyone's dander up. This is just an opportunity for businesses who specialize in one area of the floral industry to talk about subjects that they have in common.

No dander up...as long as you know your place, I guess.

Don't let the slow kid in...he'll hold everyone back?

Suppose that puts you in the Reader 5 group Thom.

Is that the one for special needs?

I'll go to Reader 3, for order gatherers and other pond scum.

Reader 2 could be for southern white people that regularly go to church & vote Republican.

Be VERY careful of this slippery slope, my friends...

:(

Prestonway, I find your comment about "southern white people that regularly go to church" offensive, and in no way funny

Just the other day by accident I found an old post on "another" forum, the jest of it was that this forum is for canadians only and that anyone else is dismissed as not worth speaking to. I was offended by that as well.

There does seem to be a cliche on this forum, but I can get past that. I'm a big girl and my life doesn't depend on a internet chat forum.

However, sometimes there are things said here that are unnecessarily hurtful. Also, I see men disrespecting women, and thinking it's funny. A mob mentality of you get her down and I'll take my shot at her. That is wrong on so many levels. If an idea had come from one of these men, it would have been determined to be the best thing since sliced bread. I would appreciate everyone getting along like grownups.
Please and thank you.

I just hope the b & m group doesn't stop posting in reg. threads.
I say more power to 'em; I know some are bothered by event florists. I'm not. As a retail shop who frankly only does weddings out of necessity, I am glad someone else likes doing them. I see the wedding biz around here being dominated by studios/non-retail florists. Good! Do the weddings and I'll do all the other stuff, its just my opinion. I dont have a prob w/ social groups, go for it :)
I just wonder what the big b & m secrets might be! lol

Reactions: goldfish
Like Franca, the beauty of this site is everyone is heard. It saddens me to a degree that we feel the need to be separatists (to borrow Tracey's words).

I learn from everyone.

V

P.S. If one has a sensitive issue to deal with, use PM... that's what it's for.

Prestonway, I find your comment about "southern white people that regularly go to church" offensive, and in no way funny

No offense meant and for that I apologize...was only used to prove a point.

Which you have MORE than adequately proven.

Not fun being picked on and/or excluded for ANY reason, is it?

I believe Doug calls it "profiling"?

Ok, people ... SERIOUSLY???

We have social groups for a reason: to let people with a similar interest have a conversation. This really isn't a bad thing!

This is a normal dynamic of a large community. Whenver you have a large group of people there will be some general conversation, but people also migrate to smaller groups with some kind of common denominator.

Social Groups give members of the community the power to create areas to expand the conversation. Let's not make more out of this than it is.

Surely there must be some WS bashing to do, or some other horse to flog. :)

For one does it really matter, this is a chat board, Pick up the phone and call someone if you want to help them out, or email them, so that you don't have to share, I don't have a problem sharing my knowledge unless it comes back and bites me in the arse, as some know that it did, or one of my tongue and cheek things, did, but oh well it is what it is, yes it is hard anyway you look at it in businesss right now, as I don't have a problem, lending support or what needs to be done to help out each of my wonderful friends or even strangers for that matter, When I started there was nothing like this to help out anyone, it was that of blood, sweat and tears, to do what is right, and I hate to say it, but things are like in a full circle. It is what it is, Kinda like somedays , I wonder if it were not for the OG or the WS, what would the board be like, but that of a bunch of strange things, sad for one, I like to learn knew things daily, as we are all supposed to do so, and for the life of me, you all know that I try to keep my typing down, cause I am awful at that, cause I am always doing things at the same time, and try not to hurt anyones feelings, for I don't like for that to happen to I, but hey if it weren't for the ones that did that to I when I started out, then I wouldn't be were I am at today, So enough, I going to go put my cute big girl pantys on and call it a day, SOmetimes we don't always know what the other person on the other end is going through, or why they do what they do, So for now, I am finished, you all know my take on the Basement Betty thing, I wanta roll out of bed put my maraboo slippers on and have a great day,,,< COuldn't resist, >

Hugs to all, and you all know who you are, my life would not be complete with out you all,,,thanks for all the kindness , joy you bring me, on my long nights..

If Tom Meola wants to join FC, I will vote 'yes.' Then I will watch Meola vs CHR/BOSS death match from a safe distance.
Mud wrestling with wet T-Shirts plus Boss has one hand tied behind his back. Tickets available on Ticketron and FTD.com. ;)

BTW, Meola says you really owe him since you never had to pay any dues. :>

No dander up...as long as you know your place, I guess.

Don't let the slow kid in...he'll hold everyone back?

Suppose that puts you in the Reader 5 group Thom.

Is that the one for special needs?

I'll go to Reader 3, for order gatherers and other pond scum.

Reader 2 could be for southern white people that regularly go to church & vote Republican.

Be VERY careful of this slippery slope, my friends...

:(
LOL Frank, you're on a roll... I belong in the Cafeteria Catholics group (y'know, the ones who pick the stuff they wanna obey and leave the rest). Was that group 1 or 4?

After reading many different posts regarding B&M florists, home based florists, event florists etc. and considering how much flowerchat has grown, is it possible to add a catagory much like the social groups but broken down by type of business?

For example, you could have a B&M florists area where it would be limited to B&M florists and you would need to ask for inclusion rather than open to everyone. There could also be one for home based business, one for wholesalers, etc.

That way, for those who don't wish to "give away their secrets" can have a forum of like minded florists to conversate with.

Just a thought.......

I know that my opinion may not matter much, but if we have to segregate and have a wholesaler forum... I am going to be kinda lonely. :)

I have learned the hard way on the internet if you want anything ever to be secret, don't put it online, don't email it. Pick up the phone. Meet for lunch. But stay far, far away from your computer. Nothing is private in this world.

ok eg to put things in a bit of perspective.

If my business started failing and i had to make some decisions, i may turn to you guys who are running similar business to me for some advice. I would not want to put that in an open thread because of all the readers and lurkers to read that my business is going down. And actually yes i would not want bb local to me to get that news to spread it locally that i was closing.

There is also another forum for the UK and their members read this forum on a regular basis, they then call it the "dark side" and repeat things on the Uk forum that have been said. There are people on that forum that are local to me and quite frankly any problem like the above i would not want to get into their hands.

I must say for me its not just about b and m, its more about regular posters who i have a certain degree of trust in.

I personally think that if you register and then dont contribute you should have limited access. This would eliminate the problem as if anyone did have something they wanted to discuss they could do this in the private section of the forum that only the regular posters could read. I think this would tighten things up but thats only mho...

Paula my friend... that's what private messaging is for... to keep things between the people of your choosing. Just because there is a sub forum, doesn't guarantee the calibre of trust amongst the members.

But hey, it's all about choice and like others, if it's too sensitive for the internet, then please don't post it.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.