Teleflora Delivery Confimations now useless

Mikey. maybe one of the reasons the model remains "broken" is that so few(at all levels) are willing to cooperate on fixing it.

Which model are you talking about, Doug? I myself see no point in trying to glue something back together that will then turn around and try to chew my face off.

Why not let that model die and create something new that is equitable for the parties involved, have something that all of the gears turn together?

Will people pay for that service I think most people will balk at paying for something that they expect to be done properly to start with. But on a bigger scale I think everyone has to be concerned with adding cost to the business model when for the most part very few florist are seeing any increase in sales and have not for a few years now. while at the same time we have fixed cost that are rising rather it be rents or insurance or big one for me right now is unemployment insurance were Vermont is trying to balance that fund off the employers and my cost in that alone will be up nearly $7000.00 this year even though I have no claims against me. And next year the ceiling will jump an additional 4k per employee cost me still another $7000. if payroll stays the same. Our problems as an industry are far bigger then just wire services and order gatherer's but outside cost too.

Unfortunately, this is today's reality at every level of government and in every country. After years of spending like drunken sailors (no slur intended towards drunken sailors by this comparison) it is finally time to for governments to pay the piper. Unfortunately they only have one source of income.

MSN.com featured a mind boggling headline that I caught sight of earlier this week, something to the effect of "Bush tax cuts cost government 3.2 trillion". The interesting part of this is that the headline makes the assumption that it was the governments money, when in reality it never was, it was the taxpayers. The tax cuts meant that the government simply did not take more than they should. There is an underlying mindset that has developed that the government is "entitled" to the money in your pocket and anytime they reduce their demands that they are acting in your interests and that as a taxpayer you should be grateful.

Funny, at one turning point in American history a revolution was fought based on taxation without representation, now its just business as usual.

Which model are you talking about, Doug? I myself see no point in trying to glue something back together that will then turn around and try to chew my face off.

Why not let that model die and create something new that is equitable for the parties involved, have something that all of the gears turn together?

I am in full agreement in working towards a better model that works for all parties, unfortunately at this time there is simply for too much finger pointing and "goal-tending" by all parties. As for letting the model die, bad idea. This assumes that there is someone prepared to step up to the plate with a better model.

That train of thought strikes me as being very similar to the current situation in Libya. The nations involved are all for getting the current regime out, but not one of them has a suggestion as to who will keep the country running once this is accomplished.

If all of the WS's closed tomorrow where would the orders they currently move go?

Before you make the assumption that the answer is "direct to the local florist" think that one thru carefully.

BOSS's Quote of the day!

one of the reasons the model remains "broken" is that so few(at all levels) are willing to cooperate on fixing it.
Very true, and it will remain broken. The current system is beyond repair, and it will take a "new model" based on equitable fairness across the spectrum to regain both florist and consumer confidence.

It has not hit bottom yet, and like anything involving addiction, you can't go up, until you hit rock bottom.

If all of the WS's closed tomorrow where would the orders they currently move go?

Before you make the assumption that the answer is "direct to the local florist" think that one thru carefully.
Hmmm... probably not all of them would, but since they all started at the local florist originally, one would have to ass-u-me that a big portion of them would return.

You misunderstand me, Doug. I said let that "model" die.

I certainly am not naive enough to think those orders would then flow directly to florists. There are not nearly enough florists who even have their own websites. The lack of coverage would be a devastating to blow to the industry. Even FSN who has a pretty large stable has begun letting dogs in, and even then they rely on TF for 100% coverage.

Right now it is extremely lopsided, something that the "founding fathers" of flowers by wire never conceived of. Steve's example of another burden is just one of so many. I know it would take time, large companies like TF and FTD would have to shift. All they would REALLY need to do is kick out the dogs. That would place an enormous amount of florists back into a more trusting relationship between themselves and the ws.

I know it is a very complex issue, and would in turn cause some unemployment on that end. However, the deceit is something that should not be tolerated and the ones who absolutely have the power to fix that have quite possibly waited too long.

Dogs are now "forced" to call out a large percentage of the orders they gathered (and by the way a large portion of those WOULD be mine), especially at holidays. Then those orders don't get filled and another segment of consumer ditches the whole flower thing.

I should take more time to think this through, but those are just my gut reactions and solutions.

I have found delivery confirmation to be extremly valuable. Many of my clients reply with a "thank you" and on a few occasions, a photo of the arrangement! It gives me an opportunity to respond with a short personal message of my thanks for ordering from my busines and asking them to call on me again. Most of my commercial accounts expect immediate delivery confirmation.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I have found delivery confirmation to be extremly valuable. Many of my clients reply with a "thank you" and on a few occasions, a photo of the arrangement! It gives me an opportunity to respond with a short personal message of my thanks for ordering from my busines and asking them to call on me again. Most of my commercial accounts expect immediate delivery confirmation.

the "value" of delivery confirmation is not in question, the "value" of doing it for orders that give you 62 cents on the dollar IS!!

Reactions: Simon Says
Teleflora confrimations

6/18/11--I don't understand why the change in Tel confirmations is considered so much work. Our driver changes the delivery date on all
orders not deliverable on the requested day. We notifiy all florists by "cmt" (customers by phone) of the change and the computer sends
the confirmations automatically when marked delivered. That is our normal process and takes 2-3 minutes max. there are only 2-3
deliveries per week that are not deliverable on the day requested, and we have actually had customers call us to thank us for the
confirmations. That is a winning situation!

Grandma Nancy

6/18/11--I don't understand why the change in Tel confirmations is considered so much work. Our driver changes the delivery date on all
orders not deliverable on the requested day. We notifiy all florists by "cmt" (customers by phone) of the change and the computer sends
the confirmations automatically when marked delivered. That is our normal process and takes 2-3 minutes max. there are only 2-3
deliveries per week that are not deliverable on the day requested, and we have actually had customers call us to thank us for the
confirmations. That is a winning situation!

Grandma Nancy

Okay, that works if, and only if you have one of Teleflora's POS systems and you use the delivery manager section of the program!!!! most florists don't!!
And as far as the delivery date change goes, it does take 2 or 3 minutes but who is paying your staff for this wasted time??? (3 minutes X 3 orders X 52 weeks = almost 8 hrs with no pay) We also find it's a lot more than 3 or 4 on holiday times when time is at a premium!

Okay, that works if, and only if you have one of Teleflora's POS systems and you use the delivery manager section of the program!!!! most florists don't!!
And as far as the delivery date change goes, it does take 2 or 3 minutes but who is paying your staff for this wasted time??? (3 minutes X 3 orders X 52 weeks = almost 8 hrs with no pay) We also find it's a lot more than 3 or 4 on holiday times when time is at a premium!

I can buy the reasoning behind the fact it is more work without the proper equipment.

But pleeeeeease! " (3 minutes X 3 orders X 52 weeks = almost 8 hrs with no pay)"
Are you a florist or a time management/efficiency consultant?

If the latter here are some thoughts, to increase productivity.....

- Ban idle chit /chat amongst staff (15 minutes X 5 days X 52 weeks = almost 65 hrs with no pay per staff member)
- Eliminate bathroom breaks (remember this can be done at home prior to work) or move the restroom closer to the work area (see attached picture) (10 minutes X 5 Days X 52 weeks = almost 43 hrs with no pay per staff member)
office_effieciency.jpg

My point here is that if you want to find reasons not to do something you can, but using time as an in your example is grasping at straws

Reactions: lori042499
I can buy the reasoning behind the fact it is more work without the proper equipment.

But pleeeeeease! " (3 minutes X 3 orders X 52 weeks = almost 8 hrs with no pay)"

- Ban idle chit /chat amongst staff (15 minutes X 5 days X 52 weeks = almost 65 hrs with no pay per staff member)
- Eliminate bathroom breaks (remember this can be done at home prior to work) or move the restroom closer to the work area (see attached picture) (10 minutes X 5 Days X 52 weeks = almost 43 hrs with no pay per staff member)
View attachment 14951

My point here is that if you want to find reasons not to do something you can, but using time as an in your example is grasping at straws

Not grasping at straws at all...................simple fact is that it costs time and time is money!!!!

If they would set it up simply that if the dcon is sent after it's delivered, whether it's on the requested delivery date or a day or 2 early or a day or 2 later because the order was sent with the wrong del date that the filling florist would not get fined....no problem, but the way it's set up it's always the fillers fault......even when the sender sends an order at 4:30pm for today's delivery!!

View attachment 14951

can you "check" in the bowl; for me, I just lol my ass off!!

Not grasping at straws at all...................simple fact is that it costs time and time is money!!!!

If they would set it up simply that if the dcon is sent after it's delivered, whether it's on the requested delivery date or a day or 2 early or a day or 2 later because the order was sent with the wrong del date that the filling florist would not get fined....no problem, but the way it's set up it's always the fillers fault......even when the sender sends an order at 4:30pm for today's delivery!!

Yes time is money, just think of the how an individual could increase business if they devoted the time they spend on say a chat board to making sales calls and building new customers. Just musing here...... but it shows what happens when the conversation turns to petty discussion in an effort to simply prove a point.

My point is that the time argument is baloney when you are discussing a lousy 8 -10 employee hours over the course of the year to provide customers with better service.

However we I agree with you that the confirmation process needs to be improved to allow for the realities of delivery.

Yes time is money, just think of the how an individual could increase business if they devoted the time they spend on say a chat board to making sales calls and building new customers. Just musing here...... but it shows what happens when the conversation turns to petty discussion in an effort to simply prove a point.

My point is that the time argument is baloney when you are discussing a lousy 8 -10 employee hours over the course of the year to provide customers with better service.

However we I agree with you that the confirmation process needs to be improved to allow for the realities of delivery.

As correct as BBJ IS, I very much agree with you Doug!! (imagine that!!)