Teleflora Delivery Confimations now useless

just quit screwing around with the facts, and we're even, and even my bed wasn't made up yet....:)

Mikey I don't screw with the facts, you just seem to have your own unique perspective on interpreting them. As for your hospital bed not being made up, my point exactly about the efficiency of government.

I provide delivery confirmation on all my web orders upon request and any other order if the customer wants. That said, there are costs associated with all this great technology that are not being addressed. I'm not even talking about all the message fees and fines the WS have started (since I don't belong those do not affect me) but what it costs me to have the technology, the time at the end of my day, etc. I used to be able to lock up and be out of the store all cashed out in 10 minutes before I got POS and web sites. I'm lucky if I can leave 30 minutes after closing now. Some will say, the drivers can send the del cons, but I have drivers that can barely use a cell phone. I don't have a lot of employees and they are always busy helping customers on the phone or in the shop. So I end up doing alot of the delcons after I close by which time the senders have already heard from the recipients. I just seems to me that we have made a crap load of unneccessary work for ourselves and I know there's no going back but I can honestly say, this was a much better industry before all this so called customer service. My customers and I had a trusting relationship that worked. The times have changed and I understand that. I have changed and tried to keep up. My point is simply that for all this technology and del cons, and pictures, etc. we have as an industry, more problems than ever. If anyone has access to a time machine I would be inetersted in borrowing it and going back to the 70's. Thank you for listening to my rant. As you were.

You are so right.

May I just add that we are all in this same position with more stuff to clean off our plates. But you cannot allow your employees to dictate what they can and can't do. Don't worry because I have the same situation. Practice makes perfect and the sooner they start practicing they sooner you can began to go home on time.

Reactions: theRKF and sandytf
. As for "penalizing" the fulfiller, they should be penalized if they do not complete the task they signed up for.
I agree.... get on with the program as they dictate, or get out.

However, that said, the imbalance is growing where the filler is the only one penalized every time and the shops and non-shops that operate outside of the rules never get slapped as they should. The system is broken and needs corrective action otherwise it's going to implode in the not to distant future. If the majority of burden is placed on the filler, then so to should the majority of the reward go to them.

You are so right.

May I just add that we are all in this same position with more stuff to clean off our plates. But you cannot allow your employees to dictate what they can and can't do. Don't worry because I have the same situation. Practice makes perfect and the sooner they start practicing they sooner you can began to go home on time.
Or stay even later to fix their mistakes! LOL

I was giving this some additional thought, due to what Helen said, and Simon. The trust.

I imagined Doug would pipe up about that, because of his ongoing issues about trash being sent by the fillers. It got me thinking in the correct way, sometimes I can get sidetracked by this customer service crap that makes me start feeling guilty that I'm not doing enough.

::BS::BS::BS

My CURRENT local customers trust me implicitly and would not ever think poorly of me or go to an online florist because I didn't send a delcon. Will that stop me from moving on with technology to offer them better service? Absolutely not.

I think it may have been Lori (secretgarden) who pointed out that as the current policy for TF delcons stands, it WILL only lead to more consumer DISTRUST.

I reiterate. Regardless of who is driving this new policy, it needs to be re-addressed immediately or another piece of this fractured industry is going to crumble into dust. What is does not need is more consumers driven to other segments.

I was giving this some additional thought, due to what Helen said, and Simon. The trust.

I imagined Doug would pipe up about that, because of his ongoing issues about trash being sent by the fillers. It got me thinking in the correct way, sometimes I can get sidetracked by this customer service crap that makes me start feeling guilty that I'm not doing enough.

::BS::BS::BS

My CURRENT local customers trust me implicitly and would not ever think poorly of me or go to an online florist because I didn't send a delcon. Will that stop me from moving on with technology to offer them better service? Absolutely not.

I think it may have been Lori (secretgarden) who pointed out that as the current policy for TF delcons stands, it WILL only lead to more consumer DISTRUST.

I reiterate. Regardless of who is driving this new policy, it needs to be re-addressed immediately or another piece of this fractured industry is going to crumble into dust. What is does not need is more consumers driven to other segments.

Linda, yes I have a problem when a fulfiller sends something out that bears absolutely no resemblance to what was ordered and comes no where near the value provided. However the reality is that is simply one weak link in the chain and this chain (our industry has many). My earlier suggestion about using technology to improve our industry and how I would like to see fulfillers send a picture of every piece they do would resolve that issue to a great degree.

The bottom line is all of this should (and must) be about improving the flower buying experience for the consumer, without the consumer the rest is moot.

Linda, yes I have a problem when a fulfiller sends something out that bears absolutely no resemblance to what was ordered and comes no where near the value provided. However the reality is that is simply one weak link in the chain and this chain (our industry) has many). My earlier suggestion about using technology to improve our industry and how I would like to see fulfillers send a picture of every piece they do would resolve that issue to a great degree.

The bottom line is all of this should (and must) be about improving the flower buying experience for the consumer, without the consumer the rest is moot.

Flat out agree!

I agree sort of, but it does bring me back to the costs associated with all this. A picture of every order I fill? OK well, my photography isn't that great and when I take them for my web site I have to frig around with the arrangement forever so it will look as good in the photo as it does in real life. So should I cut off deliveries early because now I have to take a picture of every thing that goes out the door and there are only so many hours a day? Or should I go up on all my prices so I can hire a full time photographer in house? Where does customer service surpass the profitability of jumping through so many hoops? I get the feeling that some of the biggest promoters of all these extras have much bigger shops and really have no idea what we small florists handle with little or no help. Why should we keep doing a ton of extra work for no extra money? How about charging $2 for a digital image of the design we sent? We charge for delivery so why shouldn't we charge for photography? Plus if they order it on line, that IS the picture. Isn't it redundent to send them a picture of the thing they ordered from a picture that I took myself in the first place? Yes, I'm cranky, I admit it. It's getting so I spend way too much time on things that have nothing to do with flowers. UGH!

Helen, I agreed with Doug on the principle of improving the flower buying experience for the consumer. Happily, neither you nor I would have to be a part of that nonsense about being required to attach a picture of each design sent out. :)

I flat out agree with you on that little tidbit. You want a picture? Great, no problem. That will be an extra......

I agree sort of, but it does bring me back to the costs associated with all this. A picture of every order I fill? OK well, my photography isn't that great and when I take them for my web site I have to frig around with the arrangement forever so it will look as good in the photo as it does in real life. So should I cut off deliveries early because now I have to take a picture of every thing that goes out the door and there are only so many hours a day? Or should I go up on all my prices so I can hire a full time photographer in house? Where does customer service surpass the profitability of jumping through so many hoops? I get the feeling that some of the biggest promoters of all these extras have much bigger shops and really have no idea what we small florists handle with little or no help. Why should we keep doing a ton of extra work for no extra money? How about charging $2 for a digital image of the design we sent? We charge for delivery so why shouldn't we charge for photography? Plus if they order it on line, that IS the picture. Isn't it redundent to send them a picture of the thing they ordered from a picture that I took myself in the first place? Yes, I'm cranky, I admit it. It's getting so I spend way too much time on things that have nothing to do with flowers. UGH!

Yes, I fully understand that there would be added costs, however the details about how these are handled can be worked out. From my point of view I see no reason why this could not be an upsell and the wires services already have the math worked out, Sender 20%, WS 7%, Fulfiller(Photographer) 73%.

I specifically bolded a section of your quote as it applies to a VERY tiny portion of online flower retailers, most (myself included) use the canned images the WS's provide.Unfortunately too many times what leaves the fulfilling shop bears little if any resemblance to the picture that was ordered (ooops it appears I have opened that can of worms again).

Yes, I fully understand that there would be added costs, however the details about how these are handled can be worked out. From my point of view I see no reason why this could not be an upsell and the wires services already have the math worked out, Sender 20%, WS 7%, Fulfiller(Photographer) 73%.
Well, not quite. The wire services can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that $7 for delivery is equivalent to a ride to utopia ~

I specifically bolded a section of your quote as it applies to a VERY tiny portion of online flower retailers, most (myself included) use the canned images the WS's provide.Unfortunately too many times what leaves the fulfilling shop bears little if any resemblance to the picture that was ordered (ooops it appears I have opened that can of worms again).
There are good and there are bad, I will concede that point if you will too. Otherwise, game on! (I shall refrain from name-calling if you refrain from being DELIBERATELY obtuse!) :)

But yes, I can definitely see an upsell in this, definitely. I think many consumers would love to pay extra to have this extra service. I've done it for people and they really do like it. I'm thinking I will add that to my website as an add-on and see how many takers I get.

Well, not quite. The wire services can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that $7 for delivery is equivalent to a ride to utopia ~
Lets keep the conversation to pictures, otherwise will we be talking about the WS's and their whole list of perceived abuses (DelCons, Reciprocity, etc.)

There are good and there are bad, I will concede that point if you will too. Otherwise, game on! (I shall refrain from name-calling if you refrain from being DELIBERATELY obtuse!) :)

There's that term again "obtuse....please select one of the following definitions that best applies to your continued use of it as this will allow me to phrase my next reply in the proper context

1) Lacking quickness of perception or intellect, slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity.
2) Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity, lacking in insight or discernment
3) Not sharp, pointed, or acute in form; blunt.

None of the above.

All of your definitions take only the second word of a phrase, and it is a phrase.

Q ~What does "Deliberately Obtuse" mean?
A ~Acting thick/dumb ON PURPOSE

Find source here

I find you to be a most intelligent person, and quite enjoyable to spar with. :)

so, are fillers to be "fined" for NOT delconning, NOT, taking pics, NOT filling properly, NOT trying to piece together a broken model???

Will people pay for that service I think most people will balk at paying for something that they expect to be done properly to start with. But on a bigger scale I think everyone has to be concerned with adding cost to the business model when for the most part very few florist are seeing any increase in sales and have not for a few years now. while at the same time we have fixed cost that are rising rather it be rents or insurance or big one for me right now is unemployment insurance were Vermont is trying to balance that fund off the employers and my cost in that alone will be up nearly $7000.00 this year even though I have no claims against me. And next year the ceiling will jump an additional 4k per employee cost me still another $7000. if payroll stays the same. Our problems as an industry are far bigger then just wire services and order gatherer's but outside cost too.

We try the up-sell -on applicable occasions- of having picture of recip receiving the flowers and we e-mail the sender the pic and there they have the confirmation as well. This up-sell does not include anything involving wire orders. Surprising number of people will go for it, especially B/days. There are issues - recip does not want pic taken being the chief one based upon experience but also the weather - if it is chucking it down or sub-zero, no-one wants to stand out-doors for even a quick photo. The charge is $5.00 (+tax).

Reactions: concord
Will people pay for that service I think most people will balk at paying for something that they expect to be done properly to start with. But on a bigger scale I think everyone has to be concerned with adding cost to the business model when for the most part very few florist are seeing any increase in sales and have not for a few years now. while at the same time we have fixed cost that are rising rather it be rents or insurance or big one for me right now is unemployment insurance were Vermont is trying to balance that fund off the employers and my cost in that alone will be up nearly $7000.00 this year even though I have no claims against me. And next year the ceiling will jump an additional 4k per employee cost me still another $7000. if payroll stays the same. Our problems as an industry are far bigger then just wire services and order gatherer's but outside cost too.

Exactly the point, Steve. I am so glad you put your situation in words that show the impact. That is a huge chunk of change for anybody. While I understand your state's need to fund unemployment benefits, do they not understand that this will probably cause MORE unemployment?

At any rate, that is why I wholeheartedly say if a customer wants that extra service which costs time (ergo money), then they can pay for it. It is also why I pointed out that the "math" the wire services have done has become a joke.

Reactions: concord
Believe me the businesses argued hard against this but like every state VT had to take some drastic actions and that was one of a few they chosed. Every florist at this point has some expenses that are out of control that they have no way of controling and we need to not add to the problem. In the pass when things were tight my rule of thumb was if it did not add to customer satisfaction then the money should not be spent but I can not currently afford to go by that rule.

so, are fillers to be "fined" for NOT delconning, NOT, taking pics, NOT filling properly, NOT trying to piece together a broken model???

Mikey. maybe one of the reasons the model remains "broken" is that so few(at all levels) are willing to cooperate on fixing it.