Teleflora New Fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SAF fee is 1/12 of your annual dues as a member of the Society of American Florists.

The Reciprocity Surcharge is because your sendings falls below your incomings by a certain percentage (3 to 1?) and you are a member of more than one wire service.

The Optional Sending Fee is assessed when a shop sends less than 20 outgoings a month and is a member of more than 1 wire service.

Needless to say, the last 2 fees were created to get you to think about quitting other WSs.

you can opt out of SAF but call them immediately.
If you haven't been charged these before, call your rep and tell them you will not pay them. Get them reversed and gone. If you can prove on older statements they were not there......question the he!! out of your rep.

Reciprocity

Sounds like you fill much more then you send. I think you need to look at what your business really needs to survive.

It should be against the law to charge Reciprocity fees. Its just bad way to do business.

You do the work.
You get penalized for doing to much work.
You don't get delivery. (I should say your full amount for delivery)
And you help keep these guys in business.

Sounds fair to me.:faint:

Just QUIT!

I just got my June statement and 3 new fees appeared:
1. Society of American Florist $19.95
2. Reciprocity Surcharge $74.18
3. Optional Sending Fee $19.95

Is this supposed to be a joke? Did anyone else get these charges?

Of course it's a JOKE!

But the JOKE is on YOU!

Call your REP and DEMAND that all of those ancillary charges be removed at once!

1. SAF: That's a sign on program, and did you sign on? If not, you're FREE otherwise, you can cancel it. As to the value of SAF? Well, in my opinion, that's up for debate, especially since the Society of American Florists have long since, seem to have forgotten REAL FLORISTS in favor of OTHER THAN REAL FLORISTS. Like in Supermarkets, Growers, Wholesalers, Brokers, Order Gatherers, and MIDDLEMAN Wire Services along with their DOT.CONs.

2. RECIPROCITY SURCHARGE: Another JOKE since, you bee doing all the FILLING WORK, thus making them look good as others have pointed out.

3. OPTIONAL SENDING FEE: Again, another JOKE, and for the same reason as stated in #2.

Call your rep and tell him you're gonna QUIT unless he/she makes it all go away.

And only because, who is working for who here anyway?

BOSS's Quote of the day!

Of course it's a JOKE!

As to the value of SAF? Well, in my opinion, that's up for debate, especially since the Society of American Florists have long since, seem to have forgotten REAL FLORISTS in favor of OTHER THAN REAL FLORISTS. Like in Supermarkets, Growers, Wholesalers, Brokers, Order Gatherers, and MIDDLEMAN Wire Services along with their DOT.CONs.

I agree....

While SAF does do some valuable things, they are moving rapidly in the direction of becoming a worthless organization as far as florists go simply for condoning the continuation of consumer deception on behalf of FTD, TF, 800Flowers, and their stables of non-florist order gatherers.

They do not have a problem taking on immigration reform, but the do have a problem tackling deception... I mean WTH?

I get frustrated with them too and have thought about quitting more than once. I have to keep reminding myself that the SAF website says this:

"SAF is the only national trade association that represents all segments of the U.S. floral industry. Our 15,000 members are the industry's top retailers, growers, wholesalers, importers, manufacturers, suppliers, educators, students and allied organizations. SAF is the face and voice of a strong, unified floral industry."

They make it pretty clear that they represent more than just retail florists.

It's also important to be realistic. An organization can claim to represent an industry but to get anything done in this world they need money. Money comes from members. That means that - realistically - they have to support the existing paying membership more than the industry as a whole.

From what I see SAF needs money to do what they do. I assume that a lot of money and support comes from the wire services.

Every time a florist quits it means that SAF has less money and support coming from that side of the industry. As a result SAF is left more dependent on revenue from wire-services. They can't bite the hand that feeds them so - as a result - they need to cater to the wire services even more.

I know it seems counter-intuitive but maybe the approach should be to tackle the problem from the inside: Every florist should join SAF and get involved - then organize to demand change. In fact if you currently pay dues through your wire service maybe you should stop paying that way and then join independently.

There is a lot of good about SAF. I think it would be much better to help influence their direction and use their assets from the inside than try and topple them.

Mark, I agree with *almost* everything you said...

I have a problem with the parts they leave out though. I won't rehash them again.

If SAF needs money, perhaps they should step up to the plate and REALLY do something to HELP the mom and pop slob florists, rather than the deceptive segments of the industry.

To me $0.10 per order is stupid in today's world. I would gladly pay $0.25, and perhaps $200.00/month or more *IF* SAF actually represented ME (which they don't) and other Real Florists. SAF should be holding the likes of FTD accountable, not sleeping with them.

SAF *should* be the voice of retailers, wholesalers, nurserymen and more, but they should not be condoning the deceptive practices prevalent in the industry today.

If SAF needs money, perhaps they should step up to the plate and REALLY do something to HELP the mom and pop slob florists, rather than the deceptive segments of the industry.

I hear what you're saying buddy.

The only thing is that have big budget and they need to keep covering salaries, etc. They can't knowingly go in a direction that would cost them revenue just in the hopes that it might bring in new revenue somewhere else.

How many retailers would make changes to their operations knowing with absolute certainty that it would cost them their biggest customers in the hope that it might help them gain some new customers? I think most shops would take care of the paying customers first.

I get frustrated with them too and have thought about quitting more than once. I have to keep reminding myself that the SAF website says this:

"SAF is the only national trade association that represents all segments of the U.S. floral industry. Our 15,000 members are the industry's top retailers, growers, wholesalers, importers, manufacturers, suppliers, educators, students and allied organizations. SAF is the face and voice of a strong, unified floral industry."

It's also important to be realistic. An organization can claim to represent an industry but to get anything done in this world they need money. Money comes from members. That means that - realistically - they have to support the existing paying membership more than the industry as a whole.

From what I see SAF needs money to do what they do. I assume that a lot of money and support comes from the wire services.

Every time a florist quits it means that SAF has less money and support coming from that side of the industry. As a result SAF is left more dependent on revenue from wire-services. They can't bite the hand that feeds them so - as a result - they need to cater to the wire services even more.

I know it seems counter-intuitive but maybe the approach should be to tackle the problem from the inside: Every florist should join SAF and get involved - then organize to demand change. In fact if you currently pay dues through your wire service maybe you should stop paying that way and then join independently.

There is a lot of good about SAF. I think it would be much better to help influence their direction and use their assets from the inside than try and topple them.

I would want SAF to represent real florists only, get rid of order gatherers falsely advertising, reprimand wire services charging unjustifiable fees, educate the general public to buy flowers from SAF members only; etc. The last useful thing I got from SAF was a poster that cost $4.99 plus delivery that doesn't make my $240 yearly membership fee go very far.
Sorry, I am bitter, I just had enough of the charges I get opted-in without me having the right to say anything at first.

Of course it's a JOKE!

But the JOKE is on YOU!

Call your REP and DEMAND that all of those ancillary charges be removed at once!

1. SAF: That's a sign on program, and did you sign on? If not, you're FREE otherwise, you can cancel it. As to the value of SAF? Well, in my opinion, that's up for debate, especially since the Society of American Florists have long since, seem to have forgotten REAL FLORISTS in favor of OTHER THAN REAL FLORISTS. Like in Supermarkets, Growers, Wholesalers, Brokers, Order Gatherers, and MIDDLEMAN Wire Services along with their DOT.CONs.

2. RECIPROCITY SURCHARGE: Another JOKE since, you bee doing all the FILLING WORK, thus making them look good as others have pointed out.

3. OPTIONAL SENDING FEE: Again, another JOKE, and for the same reason as stated in #2.

Call your rep and tell him you're gonna QUIT unless he/she makes it all go away.

And only because, who is working for who here anyway?

I didn't have anything to send in June. Slow month. Next time I will charge my regular customers a "you were naughty" fee to recoup TF's charges .

Reactions: cherrie and TOTO
Got a call from TF yesterday morning, everthing is free, including high speed dove through December.
Didn't take their offer, but I did ask her how her loyal shops felt about her offering me such a sweet deal when they have to keep paying through the nose. She told me they were offering this to everyone, so I asked her name so that I could anounce it on FC and she hung up.
I would call them and renegotiate my fees to at least ruffle their feathers.

I hear what you're saying buddy.

The only thing is that have big budget and they need to keep covering salaries, etc. They can't knowingly go in a direction that would cost them revenue just in the hopes that it might bring in new revenue somewhere else.

How many retailers would make changes to their operations knowing with absolute certainty that it would cost them their biggest customers in the hope that it might help them gain some new customers? I think most shops would take care of the paying customers first.
So if what you are saying is true, then the ball is in their court. They have a business decision to make, either represent real florists and get their financial support, or continue on their present path of quietly deceiving real florists that SAF can actually be of some value to them.

Personally I have looked back over the last 10 years and have found SAF has been of little value in addressing the real problems facing real florists.

I would want SAF to represent real florists only, get rid of order gatherers falsely advertising, reprimand wire services charging unjustifiable fees, educate the general public to buy flowers from SAF members only; etc. The last useful thing I got from SAF was a poster that cost $4.99 plus delivery that doesn't make my $240 yearly membership fee go very far.
Sorry, I am bitter, I just had enough of the charges I get opted-in without me having the right to say anything at first.

:bloomz: Queue the unicorns and rainbows, and brace for that group hug! :sjesus

I would love to see someone do the math on how many florist memberships (or, conversely, how much per florist based on a realistic membership count) it would take to support SAF's budget.

What's the ratio of whining / % contribution for florists vs other segments of their membership?

SAF is member-funded and member-driven. If florists want change they will have to pony up the fees and participate in the leadership.

Ryan

Mark great post!

Every florist should join SAF and get involved - then organize to demand change.

From evidence that I have seen, ws florists, don't organize to do anything against the man due to the $ choke hold they have on them and it's sad and unethical to compete against paying WS members.

Why can't SAF evolve to a new business model? Take a moral stand against the WS, lower their yearly rates and re-organize in house. Yeah people will probably get cut at first at SAF and the CEO might have to drive a Honda, instead of a BMW, but these are choices SAF will have to make.

The sad thing about these sluggish floral corps is they don't get the internet and the future or how to use it.

They live by this dinosaur model:

(example)

John Henry has their AWESOME floral deck just sitting there. I have asked them many times in the past 3-4 years to put it on disk/html and sell it. Their attitude, like all old floral systems, is.. it's mine. No no no. Wahhhh. What if someone steals it! Let me ask you JHC.... It's true, some may steal, BUT the amount of money you will make by offering it to florists online is a lot more than what you are making now on the shelf. I even asked them to do a subscription.. where I pay $10 a month and they update with new images or w/e. How about a floral deck fan app for the iPhone or the G2 phone? Are these conversations even taking place at JHC?

I don't feel sorry for SAF at all. They are smart people and chose their side a long time ago when they could of come up with a new model or down sized.

I'd love to see numbers and see if SAF would really fail if they divorced the WS that hurt our industry. We're working on the assumption they would fail, but would they really? Or does it pay for a second house in Aspen?

Our industry is soooooo far behind and why it is easy for progressive floral businesses, like 1800flowers and proflowers to capitalize. I truly wish florists could organize and say no, but because of the $ choke hold corps have on them, they can't say no and sadly this goes for SAF too. It's no wonder florists have a hard time evolving.

SAF is soooooo cool and good for our industry, I wish they would make the leap of faith that a lot of florists reading my words have.

Status
Not open for further replies.