Not open for further replies.

Hal Conklin

Pro Member
Mar 16, 2003
Peoria
www.nyyankees.com
State / Prov
Arizona
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--08/19/2004--Teleflora announced today that the United States District Court for the Northern District of California entered a preliminary injunction against FTD prohibiting FTD from "copying and distributing any of Teleflora's copyrighted software and from reinstalling outdated versions of all or any part of Teleflora's copyrighted software on computes (sic) of customers who are not licensed to use it." This preliminary injunction requires FTD immediately to stop hacking into Teleflora's proprietary RTI software to enable florists to divert credit card processing to FTD.

"This is a great decision for Teleflora as the court sent a clear message to FTD that illegal acts such as copyright infringement will not be tolerated," said Phil Kleweno, president of Teleflora. "FTD must realize that it needs to fairly and legally compete rather than resorting to illegal hacking and unfair competition. As the leader in the industry, we will vehemently protect our innovative technologies and intellectual property."

RTI is the leading enterprise solution in point-of-sale software for Teleflora's largest retail flower shops in the country. The system offers florists the ability to manage multiple locations and high-volume business with ease and efficiency. RTI streamlines shop processes from order entry to design management, marketing and accounting, and seamlessly integrates with Teleflora's full suite of technology products tailored to the floral industry

So now whats next

Wish it was on Court TV

You boy's and girls will figure it out. Clogging the Court System over EGO while members are questioning why the fees are increasing.

This is also going to mean MAS and Advantage users no longer have Dove interfaces. The existing interfaces were designed w/o permission from TF. As far as I know MAS has already acknowledged the problem and does not provide their interface. FTD continues to promote their software as accessing BOTH Dove & Merc networks.

Ryan

If I'm not mistaken, FTD software can't even have Teleflora directories, to say nothing of Dove interfaces. Which REALLY seems like dumb to me.

This is a helluva new move by TF tho.

example of changing direction

What this all means...

Couple things...

Teleflora has won an injuction (as I see it) to stop FTD from loading the Dove Directory onto Advantage systems, for those members that are dual WS.

Also, that they will NOT allow Teleflora Technology users to use any credit card clearings, that are not done by Teleflora... Hmmm... playing God?

And Ryan, no, we do not access the Dove network. We are able to convert Dove orders into Advantage format.

Another note, the Smartir.com RTI users forums were closed, and shut down, wonder why?

bloomz said:
If I'm not mistaken, FTD software can't even have Teleflora directories, to say nothing of Dove interfaces.
Not quite right, but it's now a moot point....

Can I laugh out loud now? Right in the middle of todays Economy dumping for alot of Florists in different regions thru-out the World and also ALOT of other business models that are Flat, we now have a big power move into the Tech POS Sector within the Competition of "Flowers Wired World Wide" Yes the Wire Services of TFTD at it's best in court again.

Closed door POS systems and Rebates and Perks oh MY!.

Hey! after looking at this responce...

bloomz said:
If I'm not mistaken, FTD software can't even have Teleflora directories, to say nothing of Dove interfaces. Which REALLY seems like dumb to me.

This is a helluva new move by TF tho.

example of changing direction

Remember, The NEW Director is CRUISING as a BOAT CAPTAIN! Darn I'm disapointed in you Bloomz...you must have known that this was going to be the "LOVE BOAT".

Points to ponder...

All those many years ago Teleflora sued FTD to get on the Mercury Network, rather than build their own, they chose to do it the easy way....

Now they are restricting their own membership, in what they can do..

Far as I know, RTI and Daisy users can send and recieve Merc-Duck orders...right?

As I see it, this is an attempt by Telefloras new Captain to try and save the sinking ship...by not allowing cross platform usage. It's ok for RTI and Daisy users to have access to both but not Advantage users.

I would think, they would be better off working FOR THE MEMBER in question rather than trying to stop them from changing platforms. WHo knows, maybe the big winner in all of this will be MAS...

Will (would?) be very interesting to see what would/will happen if/when FTD decides to not allow its directory and order transfer ability to be on RTI/Daisy/Eagle...don;t ya think?

You know who the big winner will be?

The Independant business without the Court Baggage BS in a private held company. Thank goodness the Phone Company doesn't tell us that were not allowed to call a NUMBER listed in the yellow pages using our credit card.

They haven't figured out how to stop Credit Card Transactions to be only "within a club".

:hammer:

Wow! Looks like Teleflora is trying to hold florist by their balls and not let go. Great strategy seeing it worked so well for FTD (insert sarcasm). Extreamly bad move in the long run for TF I believe. How many RTI users have they lost to other systems in the last 4 years? They think this is gonna help?

BOSS said:
All those many years ago Teleflora sued FTD to get on the Mercury Network, rather than build their own, they chose to do it the easy way....

Teleflora does a lot of things that affect the way we do things. Some of them are bad and some of them are good. Most of the bad things they do I can deal with pretty well, but not letting their members send or receive orders using non Teleflora technology is I’m afraid one of those things that could be the straw that may eventually break the camels back. We love the containers and a lot of our customers ask for Teleflora products and they are easy to sell. There are other things we like about TF as well. It’s a shame really.

BOSS said:
I would think, they would be better off working FOR THE MEMBER in question rather than trying to stop them from changing platforms. WHo knows, maybe the big winner in all of this will be MAS...

Uh…..How so? I guess it would depend on what the prize is. Seriously I don’t see how anyone wins.

BOSS said:

Far as I know, RTI and Daisy users can send and recieve Merc-Duck orders...right?

As I see it, this is an attempt by Telefloras new Captain to try and save the sinking ship...by not allowing cross platform usage. It's ok for RTI and Daisy users to have access to both but not Advantage users.

Will (would?) be very interesting to see what would/will happen if/when FTD decides to not allow its directory and order transfer ability to be on RTI/Daisy/Eagle...don;t ya think?

Oh yeah I agree with ALL of that.

Would love to see that last move made, fighting fire with fire and I think we both know what technology someone would choose if they had to choose between the two (excluding those that would choose an independant system, that is)

Since I had my technology switch and heard it over and over, it's not about computer sales it's about floral orders. But they apparently think computers can be the ring in the nose.

Didn't work with me.

interface

Infinite said:
This is also going to mean MAS and Advantage users no longer have Dove interfaces. The existing interfaces were designed w/o permission from TF. As far as I know MAS has already acknowledged the problem and does not provide their interface. FTD continues to promote their software as accessing BOTH Dove & Merc networks.

Ryan
Ryan TF elects to not let the member have the interface... We would be more than happy to write it... Its called technology jail , anyone that uses technology from a wire service. Thats not to say its bad tech, just not good for the retail florists.

interface

GFLORAL said:
Wow! Looks like Teleflora is trying to hold florist by their balls and not let go. Great strategy seeing it worked so well for FTD (insert sarcasm). Extreamly bad move in the long run for TF I believe. How many RTI users have they lost to other systems in the last 4 years? They think this is gonna help?
We have been told they won't give us an interface as they will loose their RTI/Eagle customers. What does that tell you how they feel about their technology.

BOSS said:

The law suit was in the works MONTHS ago - these things don't happen over night :) Can't pin this on the new guy.

Yes, Daisy & RTI users and send through TF & FTD. They don't access the network or hack any proprietary software, that's why they use the Merc 2000.

MAS won't benefit from this - they already have stopped accessing the Dove system.

Infinite said:
The law suit was in the works MONTHS ago - these things don't happen over night :) Can't pin this on the new guy.

Yes, Daisy & RTI users and send through TF & FTD. They don't access the network or hack any proprietary software, that's why they use the Merc 2000.

MAS won't benefit from this - they already have stopped accessing the Dove system.
Remember this is just an injunction not the final ending !! This is just telling FTD they cant switch anymore RTI users to their CC program without their help.

independence

Infinite said:

Any independant technology company should benefit. When the florists realize it.

I guess no one sees flowerSoft as a threat to their $30,000+ systems.
We interface with both the Merc and the Dove and have great working relationships with both FTD and Teleflora. They were both very helpful during the development of the interfaces. I couldn't have asked for more. I guess sometimes it pays to be small. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.