The flower chat site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if you're looking for feedback, but I find the in-line advertising confusing. When I'm reading a post, I'm expecting all of the content to be relevant to the topic - clicking on a highlighted word, I expected a link to a site that had more info pertaining to the post. It was a pop up advertisement.

Is this something that goes away with a paid Flowerchat subscription?

We've tried to make sure the inline ads are clearly labelled as sponsored links. Hopefully, if the advertiser is willing to bid on the word (this is a type of PPC advertising) their ad and link will be reasonably relevant. Otherwise, it's a waste of money for the advertiser.

And yes, the inline ads go away with the upgraded membership.

Ryan

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
Ummmmm.....Sorry Ryan......they don't - I am an upgraded customer and every so often, I see the highlighted word......I move my mouse over that word....and sure enough.....the ad pops up.

Ummmmm.....Sorry Ryan......they don't - I am an upgraded customer and every so often, I see the highlighted word......I move my mouse over that word....and sure enough.....the ad pops up.
Rick,

Can you point me to a thread where this is happening? The coding should not allow that.

Thanks,

Ryan

Rick,

Can you point me to a thread where this is happening? The coding should not allow that.

Thanks,

Ryan

IN the thread - Teleflora and AARP - In my last posting to that thread. I typed the word CREDIT CARD........sure enough, I go back later and review and the word credit in credit card is highlighted blue.

Ricky,

I'm trying to reproduce that now, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I've added a test message in the conditional statement. Essentially, the software says:
IF you're upgraded, show "TEST - Upgraded members should see this"
ELSE display the ad code

Are you seeing the "TEST" message at the top of every post?

Are you seeing the banner ad at the top of the site?

Ricky,

I'm trying to reproduce that now, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I've added a test message in the conditional statement. Essentially, the software says:
IF you're upgraded, show "TEST - Upgraded members should see this"
ELSE display the ad code

Are you seeing the "TEST" message at the top of every post?

Are you seeing the banner ad at the top of the site?

I'm an upgraded member also and I see it, but I don't think it happens in my posts.

Also, the quick reply thing on any post quotes the post. Now I just to to the top of the page to hit "post reply".

V

I'm an upgraded member also and I see it, but I don't think it happens in my posts.

Also, the quick reply thing on any post quotes the post. Now I just to to the top of the page to hit "post reply".

V
Ryan, the in-line word highlighting might be a glitch somewhere in the coding as it does not happen regularly......I've read through entire threads and not seen a highlighted word. Once or twice, it's even happened in the poster description at the top of each post. It seems to target a commonly used word like business, credit, work, flowers, ...... that type of thing.

I don't click on the word......I just hover the mouse cursor over the word for a bit and the little ad pops up.......almost like a dialog box for lack of a better description.

As I have said, there seems to be some minor glitches.......I saw the Test phrase........and I don't see any banner ads of course.

It's not anything major Ryan........just some little things.

An update on the inline PPC ads:

I've gone over the coding, and it really, really should not be appearing for upgraded members now.

Also, I've added some CSS to show a double underline for the sponsored links so that there is a clear indication of what is sponsored and what is from the author.

These inline ads are a new product from an advertising service I've used for a while. Since it's fairly new the advertiser base is small, but will grow. Hopefully you'll see some relevant ads that are worth clicking on :) If not, we'll look at other inline ad providers.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.