There's a negative for non-WS businesses as the WS/OGs fight the tide of complaints

Flowercomplaint.com posted this link from a CBS station in CO:

http://www.flowercomplaint.com/Teleflora_Complaints.html

Pleased that they closed with comments about problems with other high profile brand name on-line flower sites, inc. Proflowers, as well and that the closing shots of the the piece showed recipient with flowers from local florist and the recipient's comment that she and hubby will "never" use on-line brand name flower sites again. 1 down, but millions more to "convert".

Also see that Proflowers tweeted Sat am that if you had problems with FTDFlowers, Teleflora & 1800Flowers, Proflowers can help. I tweeted back @Proflowers with link to Flowercomplaints.com Proflowers page of discontent.

Heard an article this morning on NBC that Teleflora is blaming the super bowl ad for their inability to handle the crunch, offering a full refund and a 30% off coupon for next time to anyone not receiving their flowers. I guess they have to have something to blame, our "partner" sure can't blame themselves. I'm sort of surprised they didn't blame the shops that wouldn't take their orders,but I guess they are still trying to "save the florists" what a joke

Teleflora's corporate spin...

I imagine that their next Super Bowl ad will be even racier now and that the fees to florists and the consumer increase yet further to accomodate the (probable?) dis-satisfaction post Thrusday 14th Feb 2013.

They should be careful. The more florists that refuse their orders at holidays, and the more orders they generate, will eventually lead to system overload and a total collapse. If, enuf florists just say no...mo....

Time to slay the dragons has arrived!

Reactions: BobbiR
Let me start with I don't like it. But, it does appear to be an honest mistake.

The Proflowers representative stated that they used the broad term "{keyword} bloom" which could be matched with any keywords to trigger their ads, which just happened to say, "Sold Out" and in this case showed up with the variable keyword "Chez"

Chez mentioned it, and I will bring it up again....how would the words "Sold Out" be used in THEIR Google Adwords campaign?

Chez mentioned it, and I will bring it up again....how would the words "Sold Out" be used in THEIR Google Adwords campaign?
I don't buy it either. Why would PF PAY PER CLICK to say sold out? They would have just stopped the campaign if they didn't want any more orders, no?

Also, Doug, I agree 100% that the fallout from WS breakdown will have a negative impact on the whole industry, but it IS going to happen. I prefer to get it over with and start rebuilding

Exactly.
1. Why take out a paid Google Adword Ad to advertise that you were sold out and NOT mention this on your own website, Facebook or Twitter Page?
2. How do they explain that we saw the same ad with only the word Bachmans in it?
3. The PF TV ad with the brick and mortar florist turning a customer away and posting a "sold out" sign on the door.
This was a well orchestrated manipulative and deceptive attack on brick and mortar florists.
I just wonder when and how they will do it again.

Exactly.
1. Why take out a paid Google Adword Ad to advertise that you were sold out and NOT mention this on your own website, Facebook or Twitter Page?
2. How do they explain that we saw the same ad with only the word Bachmans in it?
3. The PF TV ad with the brick and mortar florist turning a customer away and posting a "sold out" sign on the door.
This was a well orchestrated manipulative and deceptive attack on brick and mortar florists.

Mother's Day

I stand corrected ;)

Seth Godin was taking about the industry again the last couple days it seems:

Transparent or translucent?

There's an argument for transparency. If you make it easy for people to see right through you, the thinking goes, you are easier to trust.

The market, though, often seeks out the translucent. Things that glow. We're drawn to the glow, to the illumination and warm feeling it brings.

We'd like our tools and our replaceable institutions to be transparent. We want the bank and the radiologist and the tax man to be totally clear and invisible, so they can get out of the way and we can focus on what's true.

But the brands and experiences and legends that lead to stories and affection and connection--it would be better if they glowed instead.

And:

"How'd it work out?"

It turns out that the light fixtures a builder used in my kitchen a few years ago have all begun to fail. One by one, each one stops working.

My guess is that he has no idea, and continues to confidently install these fixtures, his go-to choice for kitchen lighting. And why not? He doesn't know that they only have a relatively short life. He doesn't know because he didn't ask.

Doctors and consultants and builders are often hesitant to ask about how something worked long after the work is done. It feels like nothing but a chance to hear a complaint.

It's not. It's a chance to show that you care. And a chance to learn how to get even better at what you do.

Exactly.

They know that many shops are on to them and we can no longer be "dumbed down". One had a negative (B & M) campaign set up for last year but never went through with it. It will only increase and like Jamie said, MD for sure. Since they get the majority of their businss in 40 days of the year, they don't have the money to go after us except in "pirme time". The add showing sold out, clearly draws a line in the sand and says, "oh hell no" to us. Theres a new term emerging out there called, P & S (produce and serve). They tried claming they work B & M and that didn't work.

Well, if you have time to Google your shop name over Mother's day do it and get a screen shot. But, I've discovered it is also happening on Yahoo and Bing. When I type in my shop name even as one word (Chezbloom) sometimes ads come up with a landing page full of OGs. p.s. Pretty messed up!

A full week after V-Day, it seems that TF are still attempting to clear-up the final "few" complaints. BOSS has reported elsewhere TF had 17,000 complaints related to 14th Feb and we know that FTD, 1-800 and Pro also had similar customer problems and that is before we start on the OGs from Kremp to WBerry et cetera.

Thanks, chiefly, to the WS, OGs and drop-shippers, it would definitely appear that the industry has left a very sour taste in the proverbial mouths of many. I wonder what those consumers specifically burnt by the WSs et cetera will do for Mother's Day? I fear that if they shopped at TF the great majority will shop instead at alternative WS or Pro and not the B&Ms. A similar WSs fiasco on Mother's Day may well harm the retail part of the industry yet further.

I am meeting with Google at their Google Vermont Office on 3/5 that meeting was scheduled before this all blow up at Valentine's Day but I think this may have open the doors for them to listen more intently to my message. I hope to bring one or two other florist from Vermont with me. And I will be giving an account of that meeting to the florist For Change Group for them to share at grand rapids meeting. and I will share that here on flower chat.

I fear that if they shopped at TF the great majority will shop instead at alternative WS or Pro and not the B&Ms.
I don't... many of the reports I have read this last week included references about contacting a local florist. Yes they (we) have sustained some damage, and yes it will continue, but I think that B&M's came out ahead on the fiasco as a whole...

I agree too, that Mothers Week will see another EPIC FAIL on the parts of the wires. I know they are thinking about the potential already, and I'd bet we'll see more florists simply shut down incomings early on. The wire have brought this on themselves. Collecting exorbitant delivery charges that they keep for one, unrealistic price points while they fight each other for the basement for another, and on top of those, as if they weren't enuf, their credibility is non-existent with both florists and some consumers alike.

Reactions: Simon Says
I don't... many of the reports I have read this last week included references about contacting a local florist. Yes they (we) have sustained some damage, and yes it will continue, but I think that B&M's came out ahead on the fiasco as a whole...

I agree too, that Mothers Week will see another EPIC FAIL on the parts of the wires. I know they are thinking about the potential already, and I'd bet we'll see more florists simply shut down incomings early on. The wire have brought this on themselves. Collecting exorbitant delivery charges that they keep for one, unrealistic price points while they fight each other for the basement for another, and on top of those, as if they weren't enuf, their credibility is non-existent with both florists and some consumers alike.

Boss, I, sincerely, hope that you are right in your assessment of the V-Day 2012 massacre and that there has been enough pertinent information that, invariably, the best thing for a consumer is the local florist.

At least with Mother's Day the proportion of floral buyers swing back -I believe- to women who, I think, generally put more thought and imagination into buying gifts. They are not as "programmed" to think flowers = WS....or so I hope.

And yet, the WS have much to loose if Mother's Day is an "EPIC FAIL" and may well throw eye-watering (for this industry anyway) amounts of money at promoting their business model.

On the matter of business models, TF have all their proverbial eggs in 1 basket, the florist. For whatever reasons, assuming TF thinking/logic, they are probably thoroughly re-examining their decision not to offer drop-ship. TF cannot control any of their floral deliveries...they depend upon florists. FTD, however, have spread their options so that there are the recalcitrant florists and the dependable courier service, thwarted "only" possibly by the weather. After all, the gross margins for drop-ship are greater than via the florist and a worrying chunk of the problems TF had with florists on V-Day (or any other time) are design and florist quality*.

*No, this is not a defense of manipulated imagery nor of the un-realistic expectations that they cause. It is though, as I wrote, a point-of-view TF themselves may take of their problems.

...................TF have all their proverbial eggs in 1 basket, the florist. For whatever reasons, assuming TF thinking/logic, they are probably thoroughly re-examining their decision not to offer drop-ship. TF cannot control any of their floral deliveries...they depend upon florists.....................

Emphasis on the highlighted area, it would cost them to much to start up and I think they would only double or triple their problems. If they got complaints now, then think of what would come. Yes, the margins are slightly higher, but when you replace 15% (or so) of your orders, margins go bye bye........I think they are smarter than that, but who knows.

Boss is right, we do take a hit after a major holiday, but in time after the holiday, we also gain some credibility within our industry. People start to realize the difference. We have to "distance" our selfs from the DS and clearly show the difference to our consumers. Customers are really getting smart and are know asking all the right questions, Are you in Ormond Beach and do you have a physical location? Are you a drop-shipper? How do I know you can do what you say?........etc.

TF and the other are no different than many shops that I know. One store in my town never knows when to say "no". They don't plan for the holiday (they must forget it's coming) then they take every order and deliver until all the orders are done, 2, 3 4 days after the holiday. You have to know what you can sell/produce and then deliver. They will never hit the mark !!

Reactions: Simon Says and BOSS
Emphasis on the highlighted area, it would cost them to much to start up and I think they would only double or triple their problems. If they got complaints now, then think of what would come. Yes, the margins are slightly higher, but when you replace 15% (or so) of your orders, margins go bye bye........I think they are smarter than that, but who knows.

So, if you were running a WS that currently only offered florist designed and had the non-delivery issues TF faced last week due to lack of coverage and, possibly taking "too many" orders, how would you spread your risk potential for the next big holiday...Mother's Day?

Here goes:

If I was in charge of TF I would do the following things:

I would personally communicate with all the shops and try to come to come common ground on filling. I would raise the delivery charge to at least 10.00 per. order (but SAF says is only costs $7, that's where they get their number from). Since they don't know flowers (they really don't) all they know how to do is gather orders and process payments. All of the services have done a "very poor" job in communication with the shops. They sell to the shops, but don't service the shops. They need a group of florists to partner with for deliveries and they (Tf or whoever) need to know how or when to say no. My website would feature 12 - 20 desgins only and All would be from florists. Florists would sumbit their photos several months before and they would be the featured pics. On Thursday mid-day I would change the website to "similar arrangement to this" and I would then show an arrangement in 3 price points and the same flowers done 3 ways. It would a generic spring arrangement in gathering or garden vase. It would not win any awards, but it would allow for a sale. Sat. I would put on the website (call your local florist) and offer a free directory. They would look like a "hero" to the consumer and cut down 95% of the complaints. Or, I would bring back the open order policy (like FTD had for years) with some guidelines. Florists can do more, but not the specifics that they sell. I could have handled more orders at VD, I have plenty of staff, but not at .66 on the dollar and $7 del.

We don't and never will have the resources to run an add on Super bowl, they will. I would also give in and offer a 90/10 split (doesn't hurt them one bit) and be the leader in that area.