Status
Not open for further replies.

mb0509

Oct 27, 2006
Weymouth
www.europeanflowercompany.com
State / Prov
MA
Interesting article from Adweek, came in through my google alerts today.

Tired and Wired in E-Commerce

Oct 15, 2008
-By Mark Cregar

I recently conducted two transactions online: booked a trip to Florida and purchased flowers as a gift. The two experiences showed me how far some e-commerce categories have come -- and how far others still have to go.

When booking the trip, I was treated to a variety of services that would help me dodge the many bullets of business travel in 2008 -- surprise fees, late arrivals, missed connections, even cramped seats. The flower purchase, conversely, left many mysteries unsolved, e.g., what the bouquet would actually look like, or how long it would last.

For many categories, e-commerce has come a long way since the days when buying something on Amazon.com made you a pioneer. But others still seem to be stuck in 1996. Here's my roundup of which categories offer the latest and greatest features to make shopping fun, or at least painless -- and which ones still feel mired in 1990s features and service.

WIRED:

Footwear -- They said that people would never buy shoes online, but lately e-tailers have offered services and features that make it easier to click your way to a purchase than browse the racks at Nordstrom. Timberland and others let you design your own shoe. Zappos has a free return policy and has even been known to recommend a competitor's product. And my favorite innovation comes from Nike+, a brilliant offline/online hybrid that lets geek-jocks track distances run, calories burned and other measurements online via an embedded communication device in the shoe itself.

Fashion -- Today, even the highest-end couture is now available to anyone, no matter where they live, via sites like saks.com and emporioarmani.com. Destinations like Bluefly.com make these items (or at least a few of them) available at deeply discounted prices. New services like Ideeli have even made discount shopping into a sport with text and e-mail alerts as soon as a coveted item goes on sale.

Travel -- It seems like every time the airlines throw a problem at you, a Web site pops up to help solve it. Buying the cheapest ticket humanly possible feels easy with discount alerts from all the major travel sites, and farecast.com will even tell you whether the fare for your particular route will rise or fall. Seat Guru will help you find the best seat, no matter which aircraft or airline. And sites like TripAdvisor and Yelp provide access to hundreds of reviews for any given hotel, airline or restaurant.

TIRED:

Flowers -- This category is plagued by the very problem the "wired" group has solved. Flower recipients rarely get an arrangement that matches the one displayed on the site; there are virtually no personalization options (unless you count adding a margin-building Vermont Teddy Bear to your flowers "personalization"); and selections feel dated, limited and homogenous from site to site. No wonder this category has been suffering from long term-decline.

Real estate -- Despite novelty sites like Zillow, this category still feels woefully lacking -- especially surprising given the high level of involvement in this purchase. For Sale By Owner Listings are still listed separately from those controlled by real estate agents. And there is virtually no site that combines everything one needs to make an informed decision: listings, foreclosures, value estimates and neighborhood information. I'm sure there are hurdles, but this feels like a category where someone can still step in and offer a well-differentiated product.

Job search -- Basically, sites like Monster, CareerBuilder, etc., produce too many results and too many irrelevant results. Things are just as bad for recruiters, who are bombarded with resumes that have no relevance to the positions advertised. The result is an ocean of candidates submitting an ocean of resumes to people who don't have the bandwidth to assess them.

HOW TO GO FROM TIRED TO WIRED

So how does one wire up these tired categories? The answer lies in those cutting-edge e-tailers -- it just takes a little creativity and (as always) sensitivity to consumer needs. Following are a few suggestions that could help the categories above or similarly tired spaces:

Address pain points: How about digitally aging a bouquet to see what it will look like in a week -- or even three? Or links to vault.com on job search sites to let users find out more about a company, warts and all? Solve some of the scary mysteries for consumers and they will reward you.

Add some sizzle: Feature one-hour sales on limited stock items to create a sense of urgency, even competition. And spice up the merchandise: Martha Stewart and Vera Wang make flowers for my Great Aunt. But I know some young women that would appreciate a bouquet by Tom Ford or Muccia Prada. Heavy Web shoppers tend to be younger and hipper -- so should your product.

Introduce personalization: Consider giving users the ability to create their own floral arrangement. Or their own house, with an automatic e-mail that advises when one like it has become available. Personalization has already worked for categories (like travel and footwear) where the product was traditionally dictated by tastemakers. It's certainly not a stretch to introduce it to the tired categories as well.

Get to know the consumer -- Sites like Netflix have continuous feedback loops that let users rate their choices, so suggestions get smarter and smarter. Not perfect by any means, but at least helpful. The same technology can be applied to jobs (or job candidates), flowers or condos.

Basic message: Give consumers the information they want, make the shopping experience as painless as possible, and occasionally intrigue and excite your users -- the same stuff that works in the mall or the car dealership can win people over in the digital realm as well.

Mark Cregar is president and principal of Emerging Marketing Consulting. He has held senior marketing posts at Disney, Warner Bros., Coca-Cola and Nabisco. His views on digital marketing trends can be found at www.emergingmarketing.blogspot.com.

Reactions: 3 people
Flowers -- This category is plagued by the very problem the "wired" group has solved. Flower recipients rarely get an arrangement that matches the one displayed on the site; there are virtually no personalization options (unless you count adding a margin-building Vermont Teddy Bear to your flowers "personalization"); and selections feel dated, limited and homogenous from site to site. No wonder this category has been suffering from long term-decline.

So much for the 'c' word.

Digitally aging a bouquet? No. That would be as good a selling point as taking a picture of what a meal looks like after it's digested. lol
But the personalization can and should be a popular feature. Emailing photos, allowing shoppers to customize purchases, etc... but those features can only really be honored when sold by the delivering florist. They're also more costly to implement and thwart the cookie cutter efficiencies. (But WTFDIK.)

mb0509 - thanks for sharing this article. :)

Reactions: 1 person

Digitally aging a bouquet? No. That would be as good a selling point as taking a picture of what a meal looks like after it's digested. lol
But the personalization can and should be a popular feature. Emailing photos, allowing shoppers to customize purchases, etc... but those features can only really be honored when sold by the delivering florist. They're also more costly to implement and thwart the cookie cutter efficiencies. (But WTFDIK.)

Very good article and something all of us know already...We(as a group or industry) were behind the times 5-10 years ago and are still tapping our feet fast as we can to get caught up....The difference for most of the companies that are listed is the fact that they are talking about tangible and finite items...Plane tickets and travel choices are what they are there are only so many options to offer and they are all concrete they generally do not change...sneakers and clothing change every season but there again it is a manufactured item that will not chage once the design is built...These are also things that make a whole lot of money, the travel industry is a huge money maker and shoes and apparrel well eveyone has to wear it so again it is huge money maker...Corporate money means whole departments that focus on one thing like webdesign and marketing...small business means one person wears many hats and the money often times falls short of making things grand...and lets face it some of the websites out there can run into alot of money to make them grand and spectacular...and if you have to change things by the hour even more money...

You really don't see alot of restaurants with killer websites letting people know what the specials are today because it is too hard to do every day unless they happen to have a devoted webmaster and you have to sell alot of veal to do that...Our stock changes so often it is difficult to keep up....I know I don't always carry the same plush items or the same accesories...sometimes I go for whats cute and sometimes I go for the value for my dollar...that is hard to keep up with the internet...

Times they are a changing this is all very true and we will all have to catch up and most are doing the best they can with what they have been given...I hope we all are still standing when main street disappears..

I like how you wrote
WTFDO
really small.

Or.. here's an idea.. show them the designs in your cooler in real time. But according to Ryan and some others here, that's never happen. :) We'll see my friends... we'll see.

Actually, I do know a florist that several years ago did that very thing Dazeal they were ahead of the times, they had a wonderful site and showed "real time" arrangements and cooler stock on their site. They closed down that site and set up a simple template site that they now do so much better with. Go figure, right?

Simplicity is all that a lot of people are looking for...simplicity, assurance and truth in advertising. We have far too many choices in life that take up far to much of our time. But, WTFDIK.

Joan

It was a good article and that's it - I'm done selling proven best sellers :headbang:

Yup - lets get esoteric!:thumbsup

Sad to see sites I've watched for 10 years that haven't changed a bit - one case in point is blooms.com - killer domain with lots of potential that hasn't been updated in 10 years.

Maybe its just me, but the site design looks really tired.

Actually, I do know a florist that several years ago did that very thing Dazeal they were ahead of the times, they had a wonderful site and showed "real time" arrangements and cooler stock on their site. They closed down that site and set up a simple template site that they now do so much better with. Go figure, right?

Simplicity is all that a lot of people are looking for...simplicity, assurance and truth in advertising. We have far too many choices in life that take up far to much of our time. But, WTFDIK.

Joan

Right on Joan - you can get too esoteric - if you want examples go thru the cool websites thread.

Lots of flash but I think not that much cash.

But WTFDIK either???

Right on Joan - you can get too esoteric - if you want examples go thru the cool websites thread.

Lots of flash but I think not that much cash.

But WTFDIK either???

lol - So true

Sometimes I lie in bed and wonder why florists will spend $5-$12k on a 5 page flash site with no ecommerce that won't rank worth poo, but we only have ~20 florists smart enough to spend $1k on a Florist 2.0 site where they can make that investment back in 1-2 months ...

Maybe we just need to charge more ;)

Too funny...

You are right, sites that are too esoteric become un-functionable. My plan isn't esoteric at all.

The system I have in my head for live flowers can't work right now, but one day it will! There needs to be a few more variables to click into place. /wiggles like a school girl :)

Still doubt my idea? Poll anyone who sends flowers across the US and ask them, would you rather see exactly what they will look like BEFORE you buy, or see an image of what they might look like. The answer is obvious and this idea is not rocket science. And just for the record I was the first to use a webcam to show designs before they purchased. I have the article to prove it and it was picked up by the AP. Too bad the idea doesn't work... right now or then. I was NOT the first florist in the world to have a webcam in their shop.. a florist in Grease did and it was in his cooler, it was dark and was on buckets of flowers. STAY TUNED! Because one day a customer, 2000 miles away, will be able to look into your cooler and three other competitors in your town within a few minutes. :) Accountability in action in our industry, what a concept!

Tired is right.

Lets not forget that it is just flowers and the amount of time needed to really do the right thing is just not cost effective nor is it worth it.

I guess thats the edge I will have for now. But seriously will it ever be worth it?

I dunno if I read that right Eric, but without the web how would anyone be doing?

Worth it is as worth it as succeeding and thriving and for me it's been worth it for a quite long time.

You do have to stay current tho to keep fighting for orders, cuz if you aren't doing it someone else for your city will.

How can anyone survive without a web site? - I'd say those that don't have one are just waiting for the inevitable.

I am very concerned about the state of our industry.

I look around at the examples of other business models that have literly disappeared over night.

For instance the video store. When you think about the huge impact that netflix has had on the whole industry over night it scares the hell out of me that we could possiable being seeing this happening right now. As I continue to recieve news of more shops closing this week and I wonder where did those customers go? Did they migrate over to the direct ship or did they just stop buying flowers as a gift.

We need to focus on trying to keep our customers informed as well as figureing out a way to compete against the direct ship process before we all end up like the video store.

Yeah established florists don't need a webcam gimmick right now, they do a great job and adding extra headaches is not worth it. Newer florists or the franchise idea below of webcam outlets will give the more established florists a run for their money. My idea, which I am keeping close has evolved a lot. If you add accountability to ordering flowers 2000 miles away, meaning see before you buy, the direct from the farms will lose more customers. Will it put them out of business, I doubt it. It just drives me crazy that flowers, the 3rd grossing retail product on the net is the only thing that if you order it and it doesn't look like the picture, it's ok due to the 'substitution' clause.

There is technology that was put out by a Japanese business that made the techCrunch 50 that displays notes of things in real time while watching through a cam. In other words, while a customer watches the real time video, things like prices, floral names and a lot more show up as an animation as you move the video. At any time the customer can click for more info or buy.

And Eric, I know you have done the webcam thing, like me, but the idea has evolved a lot more to be more practical..just waiting on a couple of things.

My question is.. try to sell the idea to florists, which is a hard sell, or franchise it in the big cities to new florists who just graduated from a floral school. If I franchise and it works, a lot of brick and mortar florists will be mad I am sure. But florists don't get it, they don't see the future and the future for online flowers will come with a lot more accountability.... because COME on, florists in general are so behind in technology and it's why PF and 1800 kicks our asses. In the age we live in, flowers will eventually be seen before they are bought.

evolve or die. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah established florists don't need a webcam gimmick right now, they do a great job and adding extra headaches is not worth it. Newer florists or the franchise idea below of webcam outlets will give the more established florists a run for their money. My idea, which I am keeping close has evolved a lot. If you add accountability to ordering flowers 2000 miles away, meaning see before you buy, the direct from the farms will lose more customers. Will it put them out of business, I doubt it. It just drives me crazy that flowers, the 3rd grossing retail product on the net is the only thing that if you order it and it doesn't look like the picture, it's ok due to the 'substitution' clause.

There is technology that was put out by a Japanese business that made the techCrunch 50 that displays notes of things in real time while watching through a cam. In other words, while a customer watches the real time video, things like prices, floral names and a lot more show up as an animation as you move the video. At any time the customer can click for more info or buy.

And Eric, I know you have done the webcam thing, like me, but the idea has evolved a lot more to be more practical..just waiting on a couple of things.

My question is.. try to sell the idea to florists, which is a hard sell, or franchise it in the big cities to new florists who just graduated from a floral school. If I franchise and it works, a lot of brick and mortar florists will be mad I am sure. But florists don't get it, they don't see the future and the future for online flowers will come with a lot more accountability.... because COME on, florists in general are so behind in technology and it's why PF and 1800 kicks our asses. In the age we live in, flowers will eventually be seen before they are bought.

evolve or die. :)
Daz,

I suggest a blend: franchise, and resell the technology as well. You can establish some good shops in some areas, and resell the technology to areas where you don't have a franchise (and don't franchise where you have active clients).

Ryan

Mark Cregar is president and principal of Emerging Marketing Consulting. He has held senior marketing posts at Disney, Warner Bros., Coca-Cola and Nabisco.

I don't know what "senior marketing posts" this person has held, but I didn't find his article insightful nor helpful. I'm actually suspicious of his supposed credentials. He sounds like a college dropout living in a basement with no real depth of knowledge.

I don't think we can lump together all the florist websites in a single category. I think there are at least two categories of floral websites, each targeting a different consumer group.

1) The first, more dominant form of floral websites, is targeting what I call "lazy shoppers." This is the category that Mr Cregar seems to be talking about.

Expectation level of these customers is relatively low, because what they actually want is not necessarily flowers, but a proof that they spent money on something for someone.

For the "lazy shoppers" (including Mr Cregar), the most important factor is probably the convenience/usability. "Cookie-cutter" arrangements should just work fine with this group.

This type of order-gathering site is "scalable" in that recipients do not have to be local. On the other hand, it won't help branding of your shop locally.

Mr Cregar mentioned the difference between the picture and actual arrangement delivered. But this problem has nothing to do with websites, and everything to do with how WS orders are being skimmed at both ends (sending as well as filling florists).

2) Another type of floral website is targeting what I call "difference seekers." What these people are looking for in a floral website is not necessarily the convenience of e-commerce, but the evidence that this florist is differen from 1-800 or FTD.

Expectation level of these customers are higher, because they are indeed looking for flowers, not just a proof of purchase. "Cookie-cutter" arrangements probabaly don't work, and might even dissuade them.

Unlike the order-gathering type of website above, this type of website is aiming to attract mainly local and semi-local customers.

Revenue will be lower than the other one, to the extent that "lazy shoppers" outnumber "difference seekers" at least in America.

On the other hand, if you are trying to establish your local brand, order-gathering website will not help that goal.

Revenue will be lower than the other one, to the extent that "lazy shoppers" outnumber "difference seekers" at least in America.

I think I already know the answer - but what do you suppose that percentage of one vs the other to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.