Not open for further replies.

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
I see we have been growing in numbers with regards to those log'n on as "Guests" to read and follow the awesome thoughts posted here in "OUR" forum.

Just a note of encouragement to those "Guests" to register and let us know who you are...ALL opinions are welcome, and I am sure each has many things of value to contribute.

Unlike other Florist forums, you will find no derogatory comments here, and /or anyone attacking.

Just many in the same biz, wanting to help each other to be the best that they can be in this crazy industry...

Welcome, and join in !

Boss,

Just an FYI - "Guests" can only read the News & Jokes forums. A large number of the "Guests" we've seen in recent months are web spiders like Inktomi trying to spider the site. Problem is, they can't :)

FlowerChat is popular enough on the Internet that the search engines want to check back regularly, but with guest access the spiders can't view much more than the index page and forum list. None of the important posts are viewable or searchable.

I lack so much knowledge when it comes to this medium
Ryan. What is "spidering" and why would any one do it?

V

P.S. I'm at the lake and just had an AMAZING walk through the fresh snow...virgin snow and tracks...life is good. :)

Spidering the web is how Search Engines like Google find web pages. They start at a website's main page;

Ex: www.victoria.com (not a real site)

Your main page might have links to:
About Victoria
V's Portfolio
Contact Victoria
Services
Prices
Victoria's favourite websites

The Spider would follow every link from the main page, and every link from the subsequent pages. If you draw this, it looks much like a web.

The Spider records the info on each page it visits for when people search for certain keywords. Higher ranking sites are visited more often to make sure Google's record is up to date.

Good Lord....people should work on getting their own dam* lives. Thanks for the explanation Ryan...that's just creepy...no pun intended.

V

What???

V, what's so creepy? Don't you use search engines??

You can look at it as a service provided by the search engines, Victoria.
If you type "flowersoft" into your search engine, it will show you all (or most) the web sites where the word has been used, including FlowerChat. As Ryan said, the sites with more traffic are on top.
That's what makes the internet great, you can find just about anything instantly.
Here is a technical explanation:
A search engine robot is called a "spider." The reason being that when the robot/spider goes to a page, it follows all the links on that page. In the imagination this action resembles a many legged spider. The robot follows the links to see if the pages go where they say they go. To know what these pages are the spider reads their meta tags. Robots normally always follow down at least one level when they index a page, and many spiders return later to do a "deep crawl" and index every page they find.

I guess I read it as an invasion into my life...sorry about that. Of course I use search engines, but not to find out about where you or anyone else has been...told you I don't know anything about this stuff really...

Status
Not open for further replies.