Travellers prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria

Oct 31, 2002
London
State / Prov
Ontario
If there is such a thing, and if you feel so inclined, please send them my daughter's (Alana) way. I'm taking her to the airport on Wednesday so she can begin her South American adventure. She has two sleeps to go... I have 48 sleepless nights until she returns.

Thanks so much.

V

Positive thoughts and well wishes for safe travels, from NJ. And wishes for strength of spirit to you, in her absence.
tracy

Thanks Tracy. Oddly enough, when she went to Europe it was just after the Madrid bombings (Spain was in her itinerary). Now, she's flying south, just after a terrorist plot was foiled here. Pearson Airport is under even heavier security than usual. She's flying American Airlines to Peru, so security will be extra tight... ok by me.

She's terrified of flying, so everytime she gets on a plane, it's a result of a huge effort of courage on her part. She refuses to be trapped by the nebulous, and for than I'm incredibly proud of her... she's my hero. I just want her to be a safe hero... I just have her an my brother.

V

Safe Journey

Victoria,

Wishing your sweet angel, Alana, a safe and blessed journey. I understand your anxiety as a mother...my daughter is my only child and I remember how I felt when she left to study for a year in Australia. Your daughter is your hero...the wind beneath your wings...let her fly! Peace to you...you are blessed!

Alana's travels have begun. She arrived in Quito Ecuador last night, safely and in awe of the sights below, and above. Today she has a bike tour down a volcano... tomorrow it's off to the Galapagos Islands for 6 days... with her underwater camera in tow. :)

Thanks for the good thoughts, prayers and wishes. They mean so much. If you like I will post her adventures as I receive them.

V

There is absolutely no better education than to travel and see how others live here on our little green planet. Alana sounds like an amazing wee soul!!!! Keep us posted on all her adventures please! I know your heart is beating triple time till her return home safe and sound but revel in the knowledge that you have raised a free spirited and independent young lady!! Yay you!!!!
May the gaurdian angel of all daughters be by her side throughout her whole trip! (wow....biking down a VOLCANO????)
Sounds like she got your cool genes!! yee ha!
keep smilin' !!!
jeannie

Wow! What an awesome gal Alana seems to be! My admiration and prayers go with her, and they stay with you Victoria. In your postion, and as a mom myself, I would be terrified, proud, and every other emotion in between!

Day one...

Arrived safe, sound, and more than a little exhausted!
Landing was pretty amazing. Because the city is so high (according to the pilot it's the 2nd highest airport in the world) there are tonnes of clouds and
it looked like Quito was on fire.The airport here is literally in the middle of the city so it only took me ten minutes to get to my hotel. And what a hotel it is. It might actually be the nicest place I've ever stayed in. Well that is a tiny exageration, but it's still pretty da mn nice.
It's 9:30pm and I am going to bed. (yeah I know I'm
Boring!)

Day Two

Great day today! I almost missed my trip because my alarm didn't wake me! I woke up at 6:40am (on my own) and had to be at the Biking Dutchman at 7am! Thankfully it's pretty close!
Cotopaxi is incredible! It was pretty cloudy, but the sun did peak out for an hour to allow us a great view of the snow covered crater!
The bike ride itself was mildly terrifying, but totally amazing. It even hailed while we were biking. There were tonnes of puddles in the millions of
potholes. It was great to bike through them so fast sending waves of water everywhere!
The guide was fantastic. I think he saw that I was a little dissapointed at having to stop all the time to let everyone else catch up so he just gave me
directions and let me go on ahead (he looked a little jealous).
I'm off to The Galapagos tomorrow so there won't be any emails for a while.

Jeannie... my claim to fame is that I walked up and down a volcano. Not to be outdone, my darling girl has decided to bike down scary roads. I asked only two things of her while on her adventure; don't take unnecessary risks and to come home safe and sound.

I'm very proud of her... and she is never far from my thoughts. I look forward to the 19th of July so I can remove my heart from my throat. ;)

V

jeannieballerini said:
V....sounds like the petal didn't fall far from the flower! :)
jeannie

Actually that's been said before... almost everyday. Only difference is they usually use the 'NUT' analogy. Not nice. ;)

I just received a mail from her last nights shenanigans. Oh my god. I'm laughing my head off at her killer wit.

She apparently discovered she can speak Spanish fluently, under the influence. Can't wait to tell her that my friends and myself discovered the same phenomenon when we were in Mexico... go figure.

V

Your Stories Bring Back Great Memories!

Like when our first daughter left for Australia to be an exchange student for a year when she was a Junior in H.S. She got to her first host's home and was greeted with a glass of wine before dinner! She had a great time, made friends who came here for her wedding, and we still have a bottle of wine she brought back! (probably vinegar by now, but it is a good looking souvenier!) That adventure turned her into a remarkable woman, Graduate from the Naval Academy, Major in the Marine Corps, got out to be a full time mother, now her kids are doing some very remarkable things in their own right!

Screw Disney World!

The Galapagos Islands are the happiest place on earth!

Mom, I don't even know how I could possibly describe
this. All I know for sure is that June 9 2006 was the
best day of my life! I did an under water dance with a
wild Sea Lion. We spent 20 mins twisting around each
other less than 6 inches apart! And the whole time he
was looking directly into my eyes! (I could describe
this for hours but I'll wait to show you the pictures!
[go team under-water camera]) In the same day I was
snorkeling and went off by myself and found a Sea
Turtle, who I swam with for over half an hour, alone!
It was unbelievable. He just kept on swimming beside
me until I noticed that I was going a little too far
out to sea! I also saw a baby Sea Turtle make his way
from his nest to the ocean. We all applauded when he
was finnaly swallowed by the sea! It saddens me to
think that if we weren't there he likely would not
have made it (too many predators!)
And today, our last day, we got caught in the middle
of a Blue Footed Boobie feeding frenzy! There were
over 1000 of them (we could barely see the sky) and
they all dive-bombed at once, most of them hit no more
than 3 feet from the zodiac. Some even went under the
zodiac. All I could think about was Alfred Hitchcock's
'The Birds'! Our guide Roberto (who was amazing) told
us that we had witnessed a truly rare event! Then he
yelled out 'Thank you Boobies! Thank you my friends
for the amazing show!' I 2nd the motion!
I think next year I'm not going to Africa! Instead I
think we should go to The Galapagos and explore the 9
islands I didn't get the chance to see! (I haven't
even told you about the Sea Lions on the back of our
boat or the 5 Sea Lions I swam with yesterday!) It's
just too much. My neck actually hurts, because the
whole trip went like this: Look over there, a sting
ray! Over there my friends, a Sea Turtle. Over there a
shark, over there 2 albatross doing a mating dance,
over there Sea Lions playing with our rope, to the
right are penguins. To left are Blue Footed Boobies,
and beside them Red footed Boobies! Worse than
watching tennis (and also more exciting!)
I'm going to burn all my pictures on to 2 cd's and
mail one to you (desperately don't want to lose any of
them!) But you have to promise not to open them until
I get back! Can you make that promise?
I love you tonnes!
Love Alana

(Of course I made that promise. :))

V

As Exciting As The Reading,

I'll bet you can't wait to hear the stories in person! What a thrill, even 3rd or 4th hand to follow her adventures!

Clark, I am revelling in her joy and praying every minute for her safe return. She has 5 more weeks. I spent some time googling all the places on her itinerary... and oh my gosh... what a journey. I'm happy to share with all who are interested. :)

V

Wow!!!

V...Sounds like she's having the adventure of a lifetime!!!
How the heck are you going to wait to peek at the pics!!!
What a good mummy you are!!!!!
I'm smiling ear to ear just reading about her adventures..mabey alana will let you beam a few pics up here to us folks? ( of course AFTER she gets home)heehee
I love this wee gals joie de vive!
keep us in the know please....I'm travelling vicariously (sp?) with her from Toronto! :porttopor
Keep the faith ...she'll be home safe & sound soon!
Thanks for sharing an imprtant part of your world
jeannie

I'm insanely jealous of her trip!
Victoria said:
And today, our last day, we got caught in the middle
of a Blue Footed Boobie feeding frenzy!...Then he
yelled out 'Thank you Boobies! ...To left are Blue Footed Boobies,
and beside them Red footed Boobies!
lol I couldn't resist, I love that bird name. Just reading it makes me laugh. And they look kind of goofy too. If I remember right, they're not too bright - something about calling to each other during flight that makes them verrry vulnerable to a BIG bird of prey that's out there, but I forget the name. I'm sure Alana or her guide would know.
What a wonderful dialogue about her adventures. Love it!
tracy

Tracypieface said:
I'm insanely jealous of her trip!

lol I couldn't resist, I love that bird name. Just reading it makes me laugh. And they look kind of goofy too. If I remember right, they're not too bright - something about calling to each other during flight that makes them verrry vulnerable to a BIG bird of prey that's out there, but I forget the name. I'm sure Alana or her guide would know.
What a wonderful dialogue about her adventures. Love it!
tracy

:) I know Tracy... having seen the Blue Footed Boobie myself, there is always a smile and a giggle.

Do you mean the Frigate Bird?

V

Jeannie... I'll not open them because she made me promise... but when she gets home, and if I can figure out how to load them to FC, you bet I'll share them. I promise I won't force you to watch home movies about summer vacations. ;)

V

What an adventure! Thanks for sharing with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.