Travellers prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a link to a virtual tour of the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.

First, after having visited the site, I continue to send prayers for the safety and sure-footedness Alana. Then, as I view the pictures of Machu Picchu, I'm in awe of the humanity who once lived and prospered there.... very humbling.

Funny, as I visit her cat Toby, I notice the book I gave her when she left home to pursue education, is figured prominently in her livingroom... she loves "Oh, The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. She declared it a "perfect gift". Today, I think, oh the places you will see dear daughter.

Anyway, enjoy the link and I thank you all for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers.

V

http://www.raingod.com/angus/Gallery/Photos/SouthAmerica/Peru/IncaTrail/index.html

Jeannie... she knows I worry (sometimes it's a curse!). She and I have always let eachother know that we're fine. E-mail makes it so much easier!
You're right... she is quite a kid.

V

Travel is a great education all on its own. Victoria tell your daughter how much we have all enjoyed reading about her adventures. She is quite a writer. Very descriptive. Our son went to Austrailia last year on a people to people program and had a wonderful time and I could see a lot of change in him when he got back. More independant and self assured. It was a great experience for him. This summer he is goint to Spain with a group from his high school. They leave this wednesday. LOL I told him the next "travel opportunity" that came along mom and dad were going to take advantage of, but I am really glad that he is getting the chance to travel more than I did when I was a kid. I think it is really good for them and a great education to see this wonderous world and how others in it live.

Give her our best wishes and keep the letters coming,
Bob

Bob.... congratulations on encouraging your son to see the world! It is a wonderful form of education. He will continue to be the better for it. :) He will love Spain. It's a great and diverse country.

Alana has changed so much over past few years since she began her travelling adventures. She has overcome many things and continues to amaze me (and herself too) at what she is doing. Her confidence and self assurance has jumped by leaps and bounds. I see her regaining a part of herself that was lost in childhood. So even though I spend many days being somewhat afraid for her, my pride outweighs that.

Bob, my friends love Alana's writing as well... as they say, and of course I concur, "She writes the way she talks", fast, furious and with lots of colour. :)
(she's a photo journalism grad).

I will tell give her your wishes and I thank you. I send mine with your son and I wish him joy and discovery this summer.

V

Doug Hatcher said:
When it is the summer solstice here is it not the winter solstice south of the equator?
Doug

Hi Doug... I believe this is the festival Alana was at this past week. The empahsis is mine. :)

V

Summer Solstice at Sacsahuaman
by Bernard Barken Kaufman
May 1995
The Inca were the best planners of the South American pre-Columbians and were builders par excellence. By far, the most impressive work left behind by the Inca was their fine stone-fitted architecture.

In this they were innovators and had no equal in Latin America. Instead of using adobe brick, as did the Moche, the Chimu and the Nazca, they constructed everything of stone - immense, extremely heavy, smoothly shaped gray-blue stone, precisely cut from large boulders and painstakingly hauled to the construction sites.

The means by which they build the trapezoidal walls for their living quarters, storage facilities and temples with stone which individually weighed up to 50 metric tons, and measured 20 feet square, is yet to be fully explained.

How these were transported is not exactly known, nor how they were set in place, nor how they fitted one stone to another, so precisely that s sheet of paper cannot be inserted between them - all this without the use of mechanical lifting devices and without mortar.

The capital of the Inca world was Cuzco, which in the Quecha language means the navel, or in a manner of speaking, the center of the universe. It was actually a hub for the famous network of Inca roads.

Cuzco today is a functional Andean city, 12,000 feet above sea level, with all of the Inca structures standing and with some of them converted to modern use.

The Coricancha, the Temple of the Sun, is in the heart of the city and upon its Inca stone foundations the Spaniards build a cathedral which has stood for 500 years and is still in use. The city was built in the form of a jaguar with the fortress of Sacsahuaman as its head.

Now, 500 years after the conquest of the Inca empire, the Quecha-speaking people of Cuzco still celebrate the arrival of the summer solstice. Each year, in the early cold morning hours of the 21st of June, the men, women and children of Cuzco and its surrounding areas, dressed in colorful alpaca wool ponchos and knitted earflap hats, gather together at Sacsahuaman.
(This fortress) covers a vast plain which served the Inca as an arena and the setting for the many religious ceremonies ordered by the emperor and supervised by the priests. The main entrance through the walls of Sacsahuaman was constructed with a trapezoidal doorway set into the huge stones, beneath which the people passed on their way to the observation areas.

Invariably the sun arrives at 6:00 A.M. and it appears right in the middle of the trapezoidal entrance way. The Inca precisely calculated the construction of the doorway at the exact spot above the astern horizon where the sun makes its dramatic appearance.

It rises quickly, bursting above the stone doorway, sends its rays over the entire floor of Sacsahuaman and then climbs and paints the facing of the stones, lighting up the colorful garments of the people, the platforms decorated with flowers and dried corn, and brightly reflecting off brass musical instruments.

Soon, one of the elders places a large conch shell to his lips, and blows three, loud, mournful notes, calling for the start of the ceremonies - the sun has been reborn.

Another interesting factoid Doug. :)

V

In the Northern Hemisphere, June 21st is the longest day of the year. It is called the Summer Solstice and marks the beginning of summer. This is also the shortest day of the year in the Southern Hemisphere -

Just went on the "virtual tour".....takes your breath away.
A very spiritual place indeed! I can only imagine the impact being there in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to hear about this leg (no pun intended)of the journey:)
jeannie

Reactions: 1 person
They should make a movie.

Remember that movie in the sixties about tours to Europe. "If today is Tuesday it must be Rome"? Or something like that.

The new movie would be 'If today is June 21st it must be the Summer Solstice'. Tom Hanks could trot around the globe doing is Da Vinci thing.

The author got his hemispheres mixed up maybe jet lag or his editor bugging him. Doesn't say much for the editor though.

If today is June 21st it must be the summer solstice only north of the equator. South of the equator it is the winter solstice.

If it is summer here it is winter there. Summer solistice in the north winter solstice in the south. They did have winter type clothing on.

The author wrote "the re-birth of the sun". The early Pagans (and alot of modern ones) celebrate this at the time of the winter solstice here in the northern hemisphere and I see they also celebrate that there in the southern hemisphere.

What a great experience she is having and sharing with us.

D.

http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html

Doug, go to this site as they do say the summer solstice is in December. I wonder though, because so many "touristas" visit in our summer, to them it's the summer solstice. I hope that makes sense! ;)

I remember prior to the turn of the century (this one) Alana really wanted to be in Machu Picchu for the event. However, life or whatever, intervened and precluded her pending journey. I knew she would eventually make the trek.

This will be her first night on the trail. She knows there are many who are sending positive thoughts her way... and she is leaning on them all. Truth be told, I'm leaning on them too.

V

P.S. Dear God... I was IN Rome in the sixties (fell in love), and the seventies (fell in love)... come to think of it, I fell alot in Europe. ;) Always was a bit of a klutz.

Machu Picchu Trek

:)

STAIRS ARE DEAD TO ME!

At least I wish they were! Here's The Inca Trail
lowdown! With every step I took I wanted to quit, and
have absolutely no idea why I didn´t! It was the most
difficult thing I`ve ever done. Climbing up 2300m, and
covering 45 kms in 4 days sure seemed like a good idea
at the time. That is until day 2 when I woke up at
6:00am (I got a full 3 hours of sleep) with icicles
hanging from my tent. The whole hike was full of
stairs that seemed to go on forever. Every time I
thought I was at the top I would turn a corner and
there were a million more waiting for me. On day 3 we
had to walk down 1000m, which sounded fantastic, until
I realized that every step I took downwards was one
more I'd have to take upwards. And to top it all off
today we were wakened up at 3:00am so we could be the
first group at the gate to the final part of the
trail. So we got to stand there in the dark for 45
minutes waiting for the gate to be unlocked so we
could all race the final 2 hours to The Sun Gate. It
was the most ridiculously dangerous thing you could
do. I was running as fast as I could through the
jungle in the dark. Walking stick in one hand
flashlight in the other, and really hoping I wouldn`t
trip on a crazy a@s rock stair and go flying over
the cliff. For the whole thing I was completely alone.
It was really great when I saw the beware of bears
sign. I thought I was going to be running forever but
I got there and in only 36 minutes (the sign said it
takes an hour) and I was the 2nd one there (not
including one of our guides)! Take that non-drinkers!
The whole thing was completely miserable, exhausting,
and totally worth every step. Standing there at the
Sun Gate with only 2 other people looking over Machu
Picchu was amazing. GO TEAM ME!
Then as if that wasn´t enough, a few of us, who are
clearly insane decided to climb an optional mountain
before leaving Machu Picchu. It was supposed to take an
hour and we did it in 35 minutes. Later my guide told
me if I wasn´t carrying so much stuff I could have done
it in 20. I told him that I barely made it up the da mn
thing! It was cool on top. Just a pile of huge rocks
with an amazing view of the other side of Machu Picchu!
I have to go to bed now. Amazon tomorrow then back in
Cusco on Saturday. I´ll email more then!
I love You Lots!
Love Alana

Having gone on the Virtual Tour...it was especially cool to "hear" her account of the trip!!
I have a wacky visual in my head of her romping along with gritted teeth and a huge smile in her heart!!!!!!
You betcha YAY TEAM ALANA!!!! bet it was more than worth the effort to stand and be at the gate at Machu Pichu.....WOW!!!!
Thanks for the up-date V......
(she'll be home soon!)
jeannie

Your visual matches mine. :) And I'm guessing, we are accurate!

V

At last, a calm and serene missive from Alana (somewhat). It's hard to believe how quickly the time is passing.... only 18 more sleeps. ;)

Here is a link to the next leg of her journey... she's heading for a homestay at Lake Titicaca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puno

V

Hi.
Back from The Amazon. It was pretty cool, and VERY
relaxing, which was definitely needed!
They found a Boa Constrictor in the kitchen of The
Lodge, and we also saw 2 Tarantulas. We went Piranha
fishing in a lake near the lodge and immediately went
swimming in the same lake. At least I went swimming.
Everyone else was too afraid to, but I figured if it
was okay for the guide to do, why not me! I later
found out that there also Black Caimens in that lake.
I don´t think I would have gone in had I known that.
The rest of the time was basically spent laying in a
hammock playing with Pepe (he`s the resident Howler
Monkey). He`s really funny. If you walk up to him
he´ll lay on your feet on his back waiting for you to
scratch his belly. When you stop scratching he grabs
your hand and puts it back on his belly. Very amusing.
This is my last night in Cuzco, tomorrow I spend the
day on a bus heading to Puno.
I´m glad things are well with you at home!
Hug Toby for me!
Love and Miss you!
Love Alana

Sounds like a well deserved rest.....I think the Boa in the kitchen would've put me over the edge!
What made her choose these places V????? They all seem to have a certain spirituality to them.....but mostly....who the heck is Tobyand why are you hugging him hmmmmmm????:)
jeannie

jeannieballerini said:
Sounds like a well deserved rest.....I think the Boa in the kitchen would've put me over the edge!
What made her choose these places V????? They all seem to have a certain spirituality to them.....but mostly....who the heck is Tobyand why are you hugging him hmmmmmm????:)
jeannie

I actually look forward to the day I meet you... you are a hoot. :) The boa in the kitchen would put two things in my mind... how could I hot foot it out of here fast, and if I stayed, I would be suspect of any round meat on my plate... give me vegetables!

Alana worked in Costa Rica on an internship. She lived with a friend of mine who helped change Alana's life. Terry helped Alana on the path of overcoming her fears. Like Terry, Alana fell in love with the place, the history and I imagine the stories Terry told. When Alana came back home, she walked taller, and had a permanent love for that part of the world... and a desire to explore more of it.

Toby, ah Toby... he's one of the males in Alana's life. Four legs a fabulous tail and really really long black fur... he's her cat. I am privileged to visit twice a day to feed and clean. The other four legged male lives with me. He went to college with Alana and came to live with me while she was off in San Jose.

V

I just arrived home from a bbq with friends. Alana has been on my mind with some constancy... now I know why. I had two rather incoherent messages on my voice mail (sound kept cutting out). All I know from that is she is really upset... the mail explains why, to a degree.

Hey all. Got my camera and jacket stolen last night in
Cuzco. Pretty bummed about that. I didn´t sleep last
night and had a @hitty-as@ 7 hour bus ride today. Not
so much with the enjoying today. But I am on Lake
Titicaca, which is making me giggle. Titicaca. Who
names a lake that? Tomorrow I spend the night with a
family on one of the islands. Sounds interesting.
Anyhow, I'm miserable, and tired so I'm going to bed!
I hope all is well at home and that you all feel
really sorry for me and my camera.
Love and Miss you All!
Alana
P.S. GO PORTUGAL! (thats for you Sousa!)

Apparently they also stole her phone... so now I have to call the company and let them know. But hey, the last time she was away down there, her passport and bank card was stolen... that was alot more complicated. I don't care really... as long as she is ok.

V

All things that can be replaced......may the person that took them use them wisely yes? The story could well have had a much different ending!! But DO tell her yes,all are feeling very-very bad that it happened BUT!!! are just way relieved that SHE is ok!!! Cranky is OK....unharmed is even better!!!
Lawd Woman!!! I'm starting to feel I know this cool wee chicklet!!! Tell her to be home when the streetlights come on!!!!!
(why do I have the feeling there may not be any where she is)!!!!!!!
The journey really IS what the trip is about. I'm glad she's ok V....your mommy vibe must've been in overdrive!!
Thinking good thoughts about Titicaca.....(yes it does make ya giggle)
jeannie

I just wish she'd called again last night. The adage about the watched pot, applies to the telephone too... it does not ring if you stare at it long enough and hard enough.

Yes I hope she's ok. Thanks Jeannie.

V

Titicaca Titicaca Titicaca. tee hee hee.
Sorry, I tried to control myself.

Still enjoying reading about Alana's adventures, or mis-adventures as of yesterday. It's a bummer when the big old crappy world invades itself into your paradise. To echo Jeannie, it could have been much worse, so thanks for small favors. And as in life, her good times are far outnumbering the bad.

Try calling the phone, and give them a piece, for all of us!

tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.