Travellers prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons she chose to go to Lake Titicaca is because of the fun she had saying it. ;)

The phone was a useless thing to steal. It has no coverage down there. She kept it with her as a phone book I think. Still I have to call the phone company (it's her only phone as she doesn't have a land line) to inform them of the theft and to suspend her service until she returns.

My overnight worry was being unable to understand much of what she said in both messages... very garbled and broken... the string I was able to put together gave me pause. Sleep was evasive.

As she is staying with a family tonight I know there will be no communication for a couple of days... so I'm in a bit of a limbo state. Dumb mommy...

Thanks you two... thanks for the ears.

V

Back on Track... :)

Alana's Weird Titi Caca. ;) (I'm thinking she could apply for a stint on Survivor... or The Great Race)

V

Yesterday is officially going down in history as the
strangest day of my life! I hope I can describe it so
that you can completely understand how absolutely
effing bizarre it really was. Yesterday started off
pretty normal (well, as normal as a boat ride on Lake
Titicaca can be). The first island we visited was
okay, a little dull, but still cool.
The next island was the one that we were doing our
home-stay on. Jade and Chris (They're a married
couple, about my age. He's from England and Jade is
from New Zealand) decided that the three of us were
going as a group. I was completely okay with that
because it meant I didn't have to go with this REALLY
annoying American guy. Plus they are an absolute riot.

As soon as we got off the boat we were introduced to
our new Mom for the night. None of us could pronounce
her name so we just stuck to calling her Mom. She led
us on an hour long walk to our new home. Naturally it
was uphill (nothing is flat around here) and the
altitude does not make it an easy walk. When we
finally got there she showed us to our room, and it
was surprisingly not disgusting. It wasn't The Hilton
or anything, the mattresses were made of straw and
both the floor and ceiling looked ready to collapse,
but still not too bad.
We were a little freaked out when we noticed they
could lock us in. The three of us sat there for awhile
not too sure what we were supposed to be doing. We
were told dinner was at 6:30pm, but didn't know if we
were supposed to go searching around the house for the
kitchen. No one had ever taught me the proper
etiquette for this situation (I blame my real Mom).
'Mom' finally came to take us down to dinner. She led
us in to what I can only describe as a shed with no
floor, a saggy ceiling, a million crooked shelves
filled with dirty pots and pans, and the most ancient
stove I've ever seen (think Little 'House on The
Prairie' on welfare).
The food was the most repulsive thing I had ever
seen. It was cold rice, these things that we thought
were grubs (turns out they were potatoes), and this
cheese/plastic thing disguised as a fried egg. It made
a squeaky sound on our teeth, and Jade and Chris
actually dry-heaved at the table. They blamed the food
but it also might have been the things rustling around
the floor at our feet. We assumed they were rats, it
turns out they were Guinea Pigs.
We sat there for about an hour not eating, and hoping
she couldn't understand us as we talked about how vile
the food was (no one in the house spoke a word of
English), while our 'mom' breast-fed her three year
old daughter (what the he ll).
I finally figured out that she wanted us to go up to
our room and she would be up soon (I was made the
official spokesperson of the group because Jade and
Chris mistook my ability to speak drunken Spanish as
actual Spanish fluency) We, again, sat there for a
while thinking we had been grounded for not eating our
food.
She finally came up with an arm full of clothing we
had to wear for the dance that night. None of you will
EVER see the pictures! I had on about three huge,
bright, tacky skirts, and an embroidered blouse which
actually showed off my cleavage nicely. Our 'mom' had
to dress Jade and I because we couldn't figure out how
to put the stupid thing together.
The dance was REALLY weird! It was in a hall that
smelled like pee. There were two 'bands' and they each
took turns playing. We were all forced to dance the
most ridiculous dance I've ever seen. After a couple
big as s beers Jade, Chris and I started having a
really good time, and danced with our 'mom' until we
were the only people left. The four of us laughed our
as ses off all the way back home. Our 'mom' wasn't much
in the kitchen (everyone else had great meals), but
she sure could party!
As we were getting ready for bed 'mom' came in with
three empty plastic bowls, put one on the floor and
squatted over it. She was telling us that if we had to
pee in the night we were to pee in the bowls (not
effing likely!) The outhouse was in the back and she
had locked the gate (dammit)!
About an hour after we had gone to bed Jade and I
both needed to use the washroom (shouldn't have drank
all that beer I guess). We got Chris out of bed and
forced him to break us out of our house. I was fine
after that, but Jade woke him up a couple more times.
He was thrilled.
In the morning we were served pancakes which were
pretty good. And we sat there enjoying them with the
Guinea Pigs running around at our feet. After that
'mom' walked us down to the dock where she waved at us
until she could no longer see us. We decided our 'mom'
was way better than the other 'moms'.
So that is my REALLY f#$ked up night! There is WAY
more to tell, but this email is already far too long
(sorry) and my fingers hurt.
Tomorrow we go to La Paz, where I will hopefully be
able to replace my camera.
Please don't report my camera to anyone. Renata and I
are going to report it to the Bolivian Police. We are
hoping my insurance will cover it.
Thank you for taking such good care of everything!
I'm glad things are going so well for you at work!
I love you tonnes and will still try to call ou
tonight!
Love Alana

She always seems to see the glass as half -full!
quite a gal........Perhaps you should print off all her e-mails and put them in a "book" for her for xmas!!!! "memoires of a crazy canuck"!!!!!
What an amazing journey yes?
I'm now onto putting my coffee AWAY from my mouth when reading her missives....her take on all these wild n wacky situations is just plain COOL!!!
A sense of humour...this kid has it!!!!!
jeannie

Yes an amazing journey for sure. :) I have a file of her stuff already Jeannie. I keep hers and mine... not just on the computer but on paper too. It's a bit of a memory book for us.

I make sure I'm not drinking anything while reading her stories... I've learned my lesson!

She's on her way to Bolivia. It occurs to me I've never met anyone from Bolivia. I don't know anyone who knows someone from Bolivia... I've never met anyone who has BEEN to Bolivia... now I do. :)

I received her picture CD's from Ecuador yesterday. They are calling my name, but I promised to wait until she gets home... why did I do that!?!?!

V

I just got off the phone with Alana. She's in La Paz and is on "sensory overload" and is just a bit "road weary". However, with that being said, she is really having a great time. I must admit, it was so dam n good to hear her voice. She has a couple of days in Bolivia for some much needed R and R before hitting the road again... did I mention she sounds great and it was sooooo good to hear her voice? ;)

V

I'm in Bolivia (as if).
I'm going to try again to call you tonight. If I can't find a phone near the hotel I'll call you tomorrow.
I reported my camera, jacket, and phone to the Bolivian Police. Hopefully my insurance will cover it.
I stay in La Paz for 2 days, thankfully! I really need a break from the constant travelling. It's pretty cool here. I just spent a couple of hour wandering around The Black Market and The Witch's Market. I was thinking of bring a Llama Fetus home for you, it apparently will bring you good luck if you bury it under your house. How repulsive is that!!!!! The stalls are filled with tonnes of dead dried things! How do you think customs would react to a bag full of dead crap?
I have to go to dinner now. I'll try to get a hold of you later!
I love you tonnes!
Love
Alana

Another aside... I wonder if any of those "dead dried things" ever make it to someone's plate... euwwwwwwww!!!!! And I "suggested" that if any of those poor creatures made it through customs, they'd best not be at my door step!!!! God....

V

Must've been GREAT to hear her voice!!!
Not many sleeps till she's on her way home......hopefully sans any dried up souveniers!!!!!!
I have a hard time going thru china-town and seeing all the piggys and ducks hanging in the windows!! rightly put.....eeeuuuwwww.......!
can't wait for the next chapter in her adventures!!
jeannie

Alana said:
After a couple
big as s beers Jade, Chris and I started having a
really good time, and danced with our 'mom' until we
were the only people left. The four of us laughed our
as ses off all the way back home.
Just like I always thought, alcohol is the cure for everything! Questionable situations become laughable, borderline personalities become comedians, rats underfoot become pets! More fun to come, I'm sure. Good thing the beer mug, um I mean glass, is half full!
tracy

jeannieballerini said:
Must've been GREAT to hear her voice!!!
Not many sleeps till she's on her way home......hopefully sans any dried up souveniers!!!!!!
I have a hard time going thru china-town and seeing all the piggys and ducks hanging in the windows!! rightly put.....eeeuuuwwww.......!
can't wait for the next chapter in her adventures!!
jeannie

I'm wondering how they get Llama fetus'. *shiver*. I basically thought Bolivia's main claim to fame was providing the demise for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Apparently they are into black magic and the like too. I did google La Paz... a lot of history there!

V

Tracy... I'm glad she's so good at reframing a situation... even if it takes copious amounts of beer! ;)

V

I have a sign in my kitchen...."When in doubt...add more wine"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Works especially well on weekends!! yahoo!
jeannie :)

And dance dance dance. :)

V

jeannieballerini said:
I have a sign in my kitchen...."When in doubt...add more wine"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Works especially well on weekends!! yahoo!
jeannie :)
Jeannie - V and I are on our way. See you soon!
tracy :)

Tracypieface said:
Jeannie - V and I are on our way. See you soon!
tracy :)

I think we three could have a very good time. :)

V

Good morning all!
I'm not looking forward to the 9 hour bus ride today.
We were supposed to take a train but they are on
strike. I'm told the road to Uynie is absolute crap.
Very bumpy and rustic. I can hardly wait.
If there is internet I will email when I arrive. If
not I will email from Potosi (wherever the he ll that
is!).
I hope everyone has a great day!
Love and miss you all!
Sorry about Portugal Gary.....
But go France!
Alana

They apparently have strike issues in Bolivia too. ;) And yes... GO FRANCE!!!

V

If you feel so inclined... here is the ultimate purpose of the 9 hour bus ride... desolate and beautiful, and again a reminder of just how small we are.

V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

By the way, I mentioned to Alana that after I returned from Costa Rica, and an arduous bus ride across country, through the mountains, where pot holes and the like were de rigeur... I have never complained about roads in Ontario since! :)

Looks like a really interesting place!!
Now all she will need is the vodka...clamato and celery!! yeeeehaw!
(soory,,,tis the weekend and my brain is craving an adult bevvy or nine)!!!
Just finished doing a 1800 sq ft tent party.....HOT OUT THERE!!!!! OY!
probably no where near as hot as the salt flats tho.....
I'm lovin' the adventures vicariously!!!
gotta fly......my bottle of vino is calling me....
have a great weekend!!!
jeannie

Alana's rant...

I'm her editor today, and have modified the following to fit the eyes of polite company. ;) She's safe, bit chy, cranky, but safe. And because I know her so well, I grinned through much of this because I can hear her sooooo clearly! The man she reamed out was a person who has travelled the globe with an attitude of privilege... he abuses the servers, the porters (on the Inca Trail they had help carrying their stuff with a limit on weight, he didn't comply). Alana doesn't deal well with that kind of arrogance (she comes by that quite honestly), nor does she suffer fools well.
V

Hey. Sorry it's been a while. The middle of no where has a whole new meaning for me. It's in the middle of the Altiplano. For 3 nights we stayed in these crappy little towns, in crappy accommodations. One night we
actually slept on concrete slabs with sad mattresses. Nothing but good times.

During the day we drove around the Altiplano. The landscape there changes so quickly. The salt flats are gorgeous, although not big reflectors this time of year (only in the summer/rainy season). Still absolutely amazing. We saw red and green lakes, and also saw ¨The Dali Desert¨. That is where Dali got a lot of his inspiration. And you can definitely see it in the landscape! WOW!

I'm now in Potosi waiting to catch the bus to Sucre. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but our guide decided to have us stay an extra day in Sucre. I'm
glad she did as there is not much going on here.

Most of the group went to the silver mine today. I was advised not to go because I was violently ill yesterday. Not too sure what was wrong with me but I'm blaming the Llama I accidentally ate. I feel MUCH better today, but 4 hours in a 4X4 and 5 hours on a bus is not a good way to spend a sick day! I didn't think I was going to make it without barfing in the bus yesterday. But I did, and I got to be in a room alone again and apparently got the best room in the hotel.

So the American pain in the as s decided he wanted to talk to me about what had happened and I told him if it wasn't an apology I didn't want to hear it. He said it was a partial apology and I told him that wasn't good
enough. I told him that he had been incredibly rude, selfish, and ignorant the entire trip, that we were all carrying heavy bags and all he had to do was ask
for help. I guess I'm the voice of reason because he is a totally different person. He lets people go in front of him in lines, he even carried our guides bag up to her room. Strange.

We were a little worried about who we were going to get on this next leg of the trip, but the gods fortunately gave us 5 new people. Of the 5, 2 are decent people.

The one girl is Canadian, 22, but acts like she's 15. It's as if she feels the need to fight her way into this travel group by trying to get me ousted. I have no idea why, because I'm done with the group in a few more days and she continues on with them. Some of the group decided to walk up this big hill to get a shot of the moon rising and the sun setting. I walked up a bit but then saw something else I wanted a picture of. A few minutes after I had gone, Chris asked where I had gone, and the little b@tch said, that I had left because I was out of shape and couldn't make it to the top of the hill. Jade responded with, if she could do the Inca Trail she can do this if she wanted to. After I was told about this I told the little b@tch that not only had I done the trail, but I had also gotten to the Sun Gate 2nd, and had immediately climbed Wynupicchu, what a view it was. ¨Oh wait, you wouldn't
know because you didn't climb it. And weren't you carried out of Colca Canyon on a jackass!¨

On the Salt Flats we were watching people bag salt and someone mentioned that it must be strange having people come and watch you work. I said that once we had school kids come in to my work. She replied ¨Hey kids if you do really well in school you can be a bartender¨. Such a pleasant girl, I'm truly sad that most people hate her. Jade and I figure it's because I room with Elliot, and she likes him. Too bad for her he finishes the tour when I do!

The other 2 are a British couple. He needs to pull his fake leg out of both of their butts! They complain about everything. The one night they complained that the window on their door had a crack in it. They said it could break and slice open their arms. We were in the middle of a desert. Did they think someone was going to rush out and buy a new window and replace it?
They thought all of the accommodations were unacceptable while we were on The Altiplano. The rest of us were thrilled to have beds. When someone says you will be travelling via 4x4s do you not instantly figure that the area you are going to has no roads? Ergo 4x4s! And if it has no roads it certainly isn't going to have any star hotels. They must not have known that Bolivia is the poorest country in South America. I guess you wouldn´t know that if you didn't do any research before coming here. Our guide deals with it really well. She's Canadian.

I'm going to end this b#tch fest. I will email from Sucre either tomorrow or tonight.
Glad all is well! And your letter to the Editor was great! Jade read it and said ¨Your Mom is pretty smart¨.
I love you tonnes
Alana

What is the name of the hotel in Toronto? Shawn might
meet us for breakfast on the 19th!

Me again.... here is a site showing some interesting facts and pictures about and of Potosi.

V

http://www.msimonphoto.com/southamerica/2006/07/cerro-rico-potosi-bolivia.html

Note to self...

cancel the Llama dinner for Alana's welcome home party... ;)

V

The green bags contain coca leaves which helps the miners battle fatigue, hunger, and altitude.
Really, isn't that coca as in coca-ine? So they keep the miners fearless and strung out, so they keep working? Crazy.
So don't leave us hanging - what did the awful american do to warrant such ire from Alana?
tracy

JEEBERS I love her attitude!!!!!!!! She certainly is learning how to stand tall and not brook any crappy-do from idiots! yay gir-fren!
(Imagine she gets this from mom???) Good stuff!
Makes ya wish you could be a fly on the wall yes?
LLAMA MEAT!!!!!!! oh my... no wonder the poor wee mite was ill !!!
The places she has seen are truly inspiring.....makes ya remember our little corner of the globe is just that...a LITTLE corner!
When is the big homeward bound trek????
know you can't wait to have her back BUT we'll sure miss her scribes and adventures!!
jeannie

Status
Not open for further replies.