Travellers prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracypieface said:
Really, isn't that coca as in coca-ine? So they keep the miners fearless and strung out, so they keep working? Crazy.
So don't leave us hanging - what did the awful american do to warrant such ire from Alana?
tracy

I was actually glad Alana was sick the day before so she wouldn't attempt the mine trip... it looks and sounds horrendous. I have a silver ring that I bought while in Mexico some years ago... I love the ring and what it represents. What it represents isn't so special to me now. It was the first time I successfully bargained and boy did I feel full of myself when I "won". Now, not so much. Given the chance, knowing what I know now, I'd pay the full price and be grateful to the person who mined the silver.

The gentleman in question, an older man who, as I mentioned has hiked all over the world apparently. He bragged about how he insisted the sherpas carried all his things, afterall he paid them didn't he. He treated the people who carried things on the Inca Trail terribly, demanding they carry all he brought, which exceeded the 7kg limit set out by the guide. He was generally rude and obnoxious to those he was travelling with and just made things rather unpleasant.

Alana tends to ignore first... if that doesn't work, then she voices her opinion quietly. He, to his credit, gave her the opportunity to speak her mind, in private, and to his credit again, seemed to accept what she said and worked to change his behaviours... at least for the moment.

The Canadian girl... well, she'd be skewered... and deservedly so... rude little twit. Just as well I wasn't there. ;)

The Brits... well, can't say much there, although there is a saying...

:)

V

jeannieballerini said:
JEEBERS I love her attitude!!!!!!!! She certainly is learning how to stand tall and not brook any crappy-do from idiots! yay gir-fren!
(Imagine she gets this from mom???) Good stuff!
Makes ya wish you could be a fly on the wall yes?
LLAMA MEAT!!!!!!! oh my... no wonder the poor wee mite was ill !!!
The places she has seen are truly inspiring.....makes ya remember our little corner of the globe is just that...a LITTLE corner!
When is the big homeward bound trek????
know you can't wait to have her back BUT we'll sure miss her scribes and adventures!!
jeannie

Jeannie, she has learned at a far younger age than I that she's not a doormat, and she will stand tall and defend anyone who she feels has been wronged... I'm very proud of her heart and mind.

Yes, Llama meat... of course, a lesson I learned in travels, do not eat meat in certain areas of the world... apparently Bolivia is one of those places!

I've travelled with her in a sense, as have many of you, via google... and I'm reminded again, about how fortunate we are to live in North America, with all its foibles and silliness. That's just one of the gifts of travel.

This coming TUESDAY!!!! I meet her at 11:30pm or there abouts. She has some adventures planned between now and then, so keep the good thoughts and send a prayer or two for continued safety.

The last major adventure before flying out of La Paz is riding a bicycle down what is billed as "The World's Most Dangerous Road."! Go ahead and google it... it's there. God.

I am going to try and load the pics from the Galapagos here (after Alana shows them to me... I still haven't opened them), and any others she would like to share.

V

Here's her location today... it looks beautiful and so full of history... oh and according the article, liberals existed waaaayyy back when. ;)

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/od/bolsucre/a/Sucre.htm

Holy crap. I'll think verrrry positive thoughts for her on this leg of the journey. Just googling those words brings up other posts about their journey on that road. I know looking at such a place from far off is usually worse than actually being on it ..... but still. Wow.
tracy

scary stuff

Tracypieface said:
Holy crap. I'll think verrrry positive thoughts for her on this leg of the journey. Just googling those words brings up other posts about their journey on that road. I know looking at such a place from far off is usually worse than actually being on it ..... but still. Wow.
tracy

scary stuff

Ah yes Tracie... you googled the same site... it's stunningly beautiful... and scary as hel l! I think she gets a tee shirt at the end of the road. Whoopdeedoo. ;) There's a reason to go down.

My hope is sensibility over rides the "need for speed".

Only 5 more sleeps and three flights...

V

Homecoming preparations...

I sent an e-mail to Alana asking here if there was anything she would like me to bring to Toronto... here is her reply.

Are you sure you are ready for the list? I'm sorry but
it's a little much, but I'm fairly certain I will be
burning most of the clothes I brought with me. When
you see the pictures you'll know why. I've been
wearing the same thing for eons!
Hair dryer, straightening iron (black one),
moisturizer (I have been slowly turning into a
reptile), conditioner, razors, shaving cream (I should
have some). I think that's it for the bathroom.
For clothes I need/desperately want...medium jean
skirt (might be in the hamper) not the short one or
the long one but the medium one, beige tank top with
little red and orange birds on it, blue tank top (it's
longer, has skinny straps, and writing on the inside
where the tag should be, green zip up sweater,
camouflage pants, white shorts, beige short pants,
brown tank top (thick straps), red strappy platform
shoes, green and white sneakers. I think that's it. I
know it's a lot and I suck, so if you can't get it all
I will understand (I'll just withhold your gifts). The
black bag you gave me should be in my bedroom closet.
Thank you so much! Also what is the name and address
of the hotel in Toronto. Shawn is going to meet us at
11:00am in the hotel restaurant, if it has one.
I'm off to bed now! I have another early day tomorrow.
Do you know the balance of my visa? Thanks! I love and
miss you tonnes!
Give Toby a big hug for me and tell Uncle Barrie to
stay away from dogs that are bigger than he is!
Love
Alana

I figure if I start now, I'll be able to figure out which jean skirt she wants... and what the heck is she going to do with a jean skirt and strappy shoes camping at Cypress Lake? I have a feeling my child is going to look like Madge Wildlife getting off the plane :) . I don't care.

My brother, rescued a Jack Russel from the jaws of a Great Dane cross today... Jack is fine, Dane is in quarantine and brother Barrie is a walking wounded... but fine too.

Off I go to rummage (with permission) through her stuff. ;)

V

Yes indeed, there are some things best told to one's Mom, after the fact... ;) She learned this lesson while in Costa Rica. I was blissfully unaware until she came home, when stories and events would dribble out... over time.

I'm glad she's excited to come home... because I'm almost beside myself with happy anticipation!

V

Hey guys!
Just a few more days left, than back home to all of your open arms.

I'm back in La Paz Bolivia. I spent the last few days in a really pretty town called Sucre. It's known as The White City, because pretty much all of its
buildings are painted white. We had a great time there.

I saw dinosaur footprints in a quarry. Apparently they are the most important and famous footprints in the world, but I had never heard of them. The tour was very educational/ridiculous. Our guide was using plastic toy dinosaurs to demonstrate his points. He also had a couple of us pretend to be certain types of dinosaurs to show how they defended themselves, ate, and died. I was awarded with best dinosaur death scene. They whole thing was very
cheesy.

The next day a few of us decided to go paragliding, because clearly Bolivia is the best place to do that.
Safety first, that's their motto....not so much.(sorry I didn't tell you earlier mom, but I figured this was one of those things that is best shared with you
after). I'm sure you'll all hear the details a million times when I get home (lucky you) so I'll save it for then. I will say that take off was a terrifying
disaster, landing was a humorous disaster, the flying part was unbelievably frightening, but it was really cool. I felt like a bird.

Tomorrow I bike down The World's Most Dangerous Road. I can't wait. I've met so many people who have done it and they all loved it. I think we get back to La Paz pretty late but I will try to email to let you know I'm alive.

I can't wait to see everyone.
Love and Miss You All
Alana

I don't know about others on here, but you feel you are with ALana on her trip. THank you Victoria for sharing this trip with us. Could there be a evening of picture and stories to follow? I wouldnt mind seeing her and telling us stories.
Luc

So, what does one do after one has jumped off things, fllown down things, or survived (one hopes) the ride down the World's Most Dangerous Road, aka el camino de muerte (road of death)?

I wonder if she noticed any of the fabulous real birds, while flying like one...

Check out this site... Alana is staying here tonight before bussing back to La Paz tomorrow.

V

http://www.coroico-info.com/

Luc said:
I don't know about others on here, but you feel you are with ALana on her trip. THank you Victoria for sharing this trip with us. Could there be a evening of picture and stories to follow? I wouldnt mind seeing her and telling us stories.
Luc

I've actually told her there are many on this journey with her... most of whom she doesn't know. :) She seems fine with that.

Sharing with all of you has helped shorten the time for me and I thank you all for that.

I will post pictures as I can and of course with Alana's assistance. I've also asked her to document today's adventure and now I will ask her to do the same for the para gliding (so glad I didn't know about that one until after the fact!!!).

If she ever does a public speaking event on this trip, I can guarantee you it will be entertaining. She won awards for her speaking ability. :)

Thank you Luc, for sharing the journey.

V

Road of the Dead...

I'm breathing again... :)

V

Hey,
Made it safely back to La Paz. The bike ride was amazing, and the road is gorgeous as well as dangerous. I wasn't nervous on the bike at all. Even
though our guide kept pointing out where people had gone over. Two trucks went over last week, one of which was carrying oranges and cocaine. He also let us know that in the 4 months he has been working on the
road he has only had 4 people go over the cliffs (no deaths though).
I have discovered a new fear I didn't know I had. It's a fear of being in a bus that is maneuvering over crazy ass cliffs.

Bolivia has built a new road that goes to the same place as ¨Camino de la Muerte¨(Road of the Dead/Death) in hopes of eliminating the large number of deaths. I was under the impression that we would be taking the new road back, but apparently it is closed because it is UN-safe....Exactly how does a new road become more UN-safe than a road called The Death Road? Does it
kill 1.5 people a day instead of 1?

So we had to take the bus back up to the top. And I spent most of the ride pressing myself against the window not on the drop side (because clearly that
will prevent the bus from going over the edge).

I got a little better when we stopped for beer (twice). My kinda tour....They give you a shot of 96% something at the top of the road, provide you with a couple beers when you finish the the tour, and stop for beer on the way home. I'm not too sure if the driver was drinking or not, not like it mattered. Visibility was crap because of all the dust (Dirt World), and clouds.

I'm off to spend the remainder of my time here shopping!
See you All Soon!
Alana

glad to hear she made it ok.......you must be goin' outta your gourd waiting for pick-up day!
and tell her yes,leaning DOES help!!!
jeannie

I find it ironic that she finds a fear in a bus... considering that she has jumped off things, swam with gators and piranahs etc... ;)

Yes I am out of my skin. Each minute represents and hour I'm sure. Funny how that works... before she left it was in reverse... each hour was a minute.

Today crawled by at a steamy, unrelenting snails pace. Tomorrow will be similar I'm sure.

I've washed all her requested things and then some. I can't find her camo pants, so I've substituted jeans. I pray I've picked the correct length in jean skirts. She's tall, I'm not, so frankly all the skirts look long to me. ;)

I've packed creams, conditioners, razors, running shoes... and of course the mandatory strappy platform shoes (she's my Imelda) and straighenings irons and hair blowers and and and... I reminded her I drive an Echo... not a semi. ;)

Keep the good thoughts... she still has two flights to go. I thank you Jeannie... for all your words and thoughts.

V

Holy Cow... seems fitting somehow that this post would be a bit of a milestone... 3000!!! Yipes!!!

Sher... I gave Alana your phone number... just in case. :)

Thanks so much.

V

Do you have her flight schedule...if she is coming in an INternational flight and going out on one as well, does she have the time to leave the airport? Can she leave without having a hassle...let me know...did I give you the home and cell number...let me know on that too...
Sher...the zommzoomzoom Empress!

Sher... she departs La Paz at 6:45 a.m. tomorrow with arrival in Miami at 15:42 (that seems hellishly long). Flight number AA922. She departs from Miami to Toronto at 20:14 with arrival in TO at 23:28.

I'm not sure if she can leave the area. I gave her the shop number. :)

V

On my way... 6 more hours and Alana will be back in Canada. :) I'm leaving for Toronto shortly. I must keep my lead foot at bay!

V

and the countdown continues ..... what fun this has been, to read of her adventures. You must be very excited to have her home again! And we can't wait to see actual pictures.
tracy

by the time you read this scribe....."our" gal should be safe and landed on canuck soil.....THAT'S A HAPPY MOM!!!!!
Let her know how much we all have enjoyed traveling with her....minus the llama meat please.....but living vicariously(sp?) and enjoying every minute!!!!!
Thanks V....it's been a truly LOOOOONNNNGGGG trip for you as a mom and an amazing one for all of us here as surrogate aunties and uncles in our "armchairs"
YAY miss alana...you surely do ROCK!!! (how could you not...with a mom like yours yes???)
Have an amazing reunion!!!
thanks for the smiles....!!!!
jeannie

PS....................

pictures ??????????????????? we'd love to see em!!

Sounds like she had ....

a fantastic adventure .... things I wish I had done before maturity set in. All the best for the jet lag she'll have.

Status
Not open for further replies.