Tulips can be tricky to arrange....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned something new today....thanks so much for teaching me about phototropic(sp?) I didn't know such a thing existed....I love learning from my fellow FC'ers!

Since bulb flowers are not long-lived flowers naturally, you should not have to re-cut the stems after initial processing and arranging.

Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone remember the day when the thing to do with tulips was to scar the stem vertically underneath the head with your thumbnail?

What was the reasoning in doing that??

I don't remember, I remember doing it many years ago. I think the thought was to keep it from bending, I think the thought was to get the flower to try and heal it's wounds instead of growing. Kind of the same thing my wife does to me.

Reactions: HeatherTuckey
Oh No You Didn"t just Say That,Your Bad!

Nice designs adam!! I love this post. Tulip features are a huge challenge with us too. Just bite the bullet and assume you will need to "manipulate" your vase when you pull it out of the cooler for an order. We change the water anyway and give them a fresh cut (you remember Adam, a quick dunk in our toilet bowl thingy/trash can invention).

You might also consider seeded euc. It's very cheap now and very full. Keeps them from moving around, even in a wider opening vase.

Does anyone remember the day when the thing to do with tulips was to scar the stem vertically underneath the head with your thumbnail?

Yeah :) I think the idea was to trick the silly "cat-like" (I love that!) tulip into putting it's energy into healing itself instead of growing.

It just goes along with the old adage "Don't mess with Mother Nature".

Perhaps that is the lesson of the tulip.

;)

Heather,
I love inventions! What is your toilet bowl/trash can thingy?

I will not be able to explain it right, b/c I don't know what the thing is called.

The thing that allows your toilet tank to fill up and then shuts off (whatever that is called). Put one of those in a HUGE bucket/ trash can / keg tub / used floralife tub (cut shorter)... this would need te be secured in there and the opening large enough to still fit like one or two large vases in there when you dunk.

Then when hooked up to the water, you come out of the cooler, dump the old vase water, dunk the vase in the tub and it fills automatically and then shuts off.

When doing a "round" in production, you can dunk all 12, place on a cart and wheel to your table (or carry if you have the box). I find this is faster than our hoses above the table. At a holiday, I have a teenager fill the vases and "set up" the tables with flowers for the designers.

Reactions: Patty
I will not be able to explain it right, b/c I don't know what the thing is called.

The thing that allows your toilet tank to fill up and then shuts off (whatever that is called). Put one of those in a HUGE bucket/ trash can / keg tub / used floralife tub (cut shorter)... this would need te be secured in there and the opening large enough to still fit like one or two large vases in there when you dunk.

Then when hooked up to the water, you come out of the cooler, dump the old vase water, dunk the vase in the tub and it fills automatically and then shuts off.

When doing a "round" in production, you can dunk all 12, place on a cart and wheel to your table (or carry if you have the box). I find this is faster than our hoses above the table. At a holiday, I have a teenager fill the vases and "set up" the tables with flowers for the designers.

Take a picture of it Heather to show everyone! I love that toile scrub thingy! LOL!

Reactions: 1 person
I love your designs Master J... but the second one captured me immediately. Thanks for sharing the pics.

V

Reactions: master J
Status
Not open for further replies.