unique designs/sympathy work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe John Henry Compnay, they sell alot of Video, cdr, etc...for upgradin your skills. There are also maby websites out there, Good Luck let me know, AS I am starting into the funeral work as well, and have not done alot of it. Keep me posted and I'll do the same, Do email myself via private messaging if you would prefer ok. No Problem, I have only been at this industry under 5 years as well/. IF and when I come across anything I will email the page(s) to you, if you provise me an email address, I am am looking around myself.

Cheers,
Rosey

Hey Mickey,

Six years in September. We do alot of funeral work. What I'm really asking about is the specialty pieces that I've seen some post pictures of, like guitars, bikes, things like that. We use the John Henry Sympathy books and the traditional pieces are not what I'm looking for. Just the really unique things that I have looked at pictures of on this and other boards. While we're very good at what we do, a pattern always makes the process much quicker.

We did a guitar once, ssbk. As I recall, we used green foam board to provide the base. Used a thin layer of oasis over that , covered it all with plastic and then used flowers in appropriate colors to create the neck, sound hole etc. I used gold elastic cord
for the strings. Another time we did a huge playing card. Same process however it was done as a standing spray, resting against an easle, with the base resting on the floor, to carry the weight.
Passmore's in Brantford did a stand up bass for a dear friend of mine, when she passed away. They went to her home, laid her bass out and made a pattern of it on paper, so that they could duplicate it. I never forgot that. They went the extra mile.
I think your best source for 'patterns' is a picture or the real thing, and then just innovate. That is what we florists do best, isn't it?:)

Yep, what Country Jane said...

My mom did a standing spray in the form of a crossword puzzle the other day. Some days you just have to wing it.

Audra

Did a toronto Maple Leaf and Canandian Montreal fan in flower for casket. Both instance I used cardboard backing and the outline with white mums then sprayed the Toronto Leaf on. Lots of work and lots of $$$$$$ if they want it.
Luc

Hey Luc, Are the TO Maple Laff fan and the Hab fan buried side by side in the same cemetary? I'll bet if you go up there at night you'd hear a lively discussion!!!!!!!!

The last set piece we did was the Notre Dame logo. But, the time before that was a Harley Davidson piece.

The guy that died was a biker that frequented the same coffee shop I did so I knew him a little bit. And yes, he died from a real bad bike accident.

The girl that wanted the set piece came to my shop because I had just gone to a wedding shower and a girl there pretty much did a commercial for me in front of everybody. So she wanted a Harley Davidson piece of some sort so we gave her a price on a very detailed logo piece which was in the hundreds and a round wreath with orange and black flowers with a Harley Davidson large sticker logo on it for $150.00. But get this, she went to the other "junk" shop in our town that I have mentioned quite a few times and got a price of $60.00 and came back to us and expected us to do it for $60.00 just to get the order sioce the other shop could do it for that.

Well, we didn't budge a penny on price. When she asked why ours was so much more, I said, "Because we know what we're doing!"

She placed the order and the end result was that they loved it. I have a couple friends that know her and they said she is still talking about it.

Now what do you think she would have got from the junk shop for $60.00? One can only wonder???

Status
Not open for further replies.