What would you charge for this spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Randy, You are not stupid, but I am...
Gee Joe, That's one of the nicest things you've said to me. :)

Since you did not preface your WOW comments. I can only interpret your WOW comment as an interpretation, a guess, at what you think your customer wants. Go ahead make those assumptions, but for me I am more interested in knowing exactly what the customer wants.

If a customer selects a picture with no additional commentary, make it as close to the picture as possible.

If you consult with the customer and they want extra to WOW! then that is fine, but don't assume.

Randy, I don't suspect that in real life you are so cavalier with your customers as you portray yourself here at FC. From what I read of your previous posts, you are geniunely interested in satisfying your customers.

Joe,

Our customers don't select pictures. If they buy from my website they choose products carefully engineered by me giving the proper representations, and proper expectations, much unlike what you rely on with WS pictures and recipes that are intended to make the sale, but make it extremely difficult to execute without customer disappointment. If coming in to purchase our customers never look at books. They are invited to roam our cooler looking at and smelling flowers and arrangements when deciding what they would like to purchase. They are also invited to browse the design floor as their creations are taking place before their very own eyes. This is a wow.ing experience, not a guessing interpretation, and it rarely disappoints.

We feel our approach is far superior to the TF101 approach that is so prevalent in our industry.

As far as you comments about me being or appearing cavalier, I don't think I've ever been accused of that, too intense, maybe, but never cavalier.

You must have the wrong guy,

RC

Joe,

Our customers don't select pictures. If they buy from my website they choose products carefully engineered by me giving the proper representations, and proper expectations, much unlike what you rely on with WS pictures and recipes that are intended to make the sale, but make it extremely difficult to execute without customer disappointment. If coming in to purchase our customers never look at books. They are invited to roam our cooler looking at and smelling flowers and arrangements when deciding what they would like to purchase. They are also invited to browse the design floor as their creations are taking place before their very own eyes. This is a wow.ing experience, not a guessing interpretation, and it rarely disappoints.

We feel our approach is far superior to the TF101 approach that is so prevalent in our industry.

As far as you comments about me being or appearing cavalier, I don't think I've ever been accused of that, too intense, maybe, but never cavalier.

RC

Randy,

Does this mean that customers don't look thru selection guides or design books when making their decisions? I always prefer to just have them tell me about the person and let me make a tribute piece for them. For example: if they loved to garden, I would make something very gardeny. Or for a outdoorsman: I'd do very woodsy. I can see how that would make the expectations different. Is that what you do in your stores? Would you mind sharing some of your techniques that you and your staff do?

You know that I love to pick your brain.

Thanks

Twila

Why would any florist add more flowers and or greens to this casket spray if it would change the look of the casket spray?

Forget the recipe.

Isn't your - our- goal to make this casket spray exactly like it is pictured in the book?

After all, if a custmer selects this casket spray, aren't we obligated to make it as close as possible to the picture?

Joe

Randy, in previous threads, I have challenged you or asked questions regarding your statements (as you have me), but you will be very hard pressed to find any of my comments personally attacking your character or business accumen.

For me, I have also tried to maintain our debates on a business level, not personal.

Joe,

RC

Your first and second sentence could be in conflict with each other at times. Sometimes flowers such as Lilies are not going to look exactly like the pictures because the lillies may have more or less flowers on a stem. That is an example.

Randy, you made the assumption that I use the recipes in the WS books. Very very very very very rarely do I use that WS workbook. If a customer selects a casket spray from one of those WS books, I use the actual selection guide for guidance, not the recipe book.

I highlighted my previous comments for documentation.

YOu and I are not in disagreement with allowing the customer select the flowers. I will continue on with the casket spray analogy since that is this thread's thesis.

Almost 90 pct of my Carlyle funeral customers - the deceaseds' family - come into my shop and select casket sprays. Sometimes we look at "the books" and other times I show them flowers and we custom select the flowers, just like you do with your customers.

Joe

Randy, I don't suspect that in real life you are so cavalier with your customers as you portray yourself here at FC. From what I read of your previous posts, you are geniunely interested in satisfying your customers.

Joe

RC

Another way of saying what I said would be... You are not cavalier with your customers, but some of your comments in this thread were.

Isn't my last highlighted sentence what we are all about as florists?

I want to satsify my customers as you do yours.

Joe

Randy,

Does this mean that customers don't look thru selection guides or design books when making their decisions? I always prefer to just have them tell me about the person and let me make a tribute piece for them. For example: if they loved to garden, I would make something very gardeny. Or for a outdoorsman: I'd do very woodsy. I can see how that would make the expectations different. Is that what you do in your stores? Would you mind sharing some of your techniques that you and your staff do?

You know that I love to pick your brain.

Thanks

Twila

Twila,

Yes, that's what we prefer too. The wire service selection guide is never used (I'm not even sure we have one). We do have some pictures of our own designs that can be shown, but mostly it is talking to the customer, as you like to do, and taking a walk into the cooler with them.

To give you an example how Craig (our manager) sells weddings, we have a nice area where we talk to the brides, feeling out what they want and painting pictures in their minds. They can look at our own pictures and at our website to see examples of what we've done in the past, but mostly it is talking; no WS books ever used. After Craig gets an idea what the bride wants, he excuses himself to create the bridal bouquet as an example for her to see. This solidifies our competence and ability in the brides mind to create the perfect wedding she's been dreaming of. At the end of the consultation he requests a deposit to hold the date.

Now, what we are doing is using our strengths to sell. The size of our shop, the quantity and variety of flowers that we always have on hand enables us to do this. Many florists can't do this, however, every florist should have their own strengths that enable them to differentiate themselves from the pack. Selling from a selection guide will never accomplish what your hoping for.

RC

PS Twila: I won't be in Mexico this year, but Craig will so you can pick his brain. He's very insightful.

Reactions: 1 person
I know this is a bit late, but we have it priced at 399.99. and yes we would fill the back. I think a lot of flower shops are so worried about what other flower shops are charging that they don't focus enough on what they need to be charging on everthing in their store, including their delivery charges. I think alot of flower shops think they HAVE to go by TF suggested price, and that just is not true. And cost of goods (cogs) means more than just labor. I wish wish wish wish that when designers go to design shows or classes they's pay more attention on how to price their products. the man that said he would have only charged $100 must be getting his product from the farm, that's the ONLY way he could charge so little. I've also seen where shops don't pay their staff a living wage and, Or worse, shop owners that don't pay THEMSELVES a living wage. I've worked at hign end shops and also grocery store florists ( yes we we're full service believe it or not) And every place the prices were different. The overhead in a high end shop is a whole lot more than the IGA! The point is this, If a store says they can do it for $500,
I'm more likely than not to believe them, and it you can get the same thing in ohio for $100, more power to them

Status
Not open for further replies.