What would you charge for this spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well

Here is the sad part, I did the casket spray, used 17 Stargazer Stems, 60 Roses, 20 Larkspur and 1 bunch Heather, 1 bunch Limonium and 1 bunch Iris with greeneries, and it looks not much fuller than the teleflora photo, sad, and now I can see why it was overpriced in the beginning...Here is a new thread I am going to start, how do you sell designer's choice when it comes to a funeral????

Attachments

• Picture 1861.jpg
    Picture 1861.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 205-1.jpeg
    205-1.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 52
After reading this post, it makes me wonder, I could do this for 100.00 as well, have done this at much higher, makes me wonder how much folks are paying for there flowers? Or is it your labor is high markups? Supplie to high? If you don't want me to know ,I just wondered on this, cause I have never seen prices all over the place,

Really? A $100?

After reading this post, it makes me wonder, I could do this for 100.00 as well, have done this at much higher, makes me wonder how much folks are paying for there flowers? Or is it your labor is high markups? Supplie to high? If you don't want me to know ,I just wondered on this, cause I have never seen prices all over the place,

When I get to work in the morning, I will get my pricing sheet and post it for comparison, Queen.

Jean,
attachment.php

Beautiful!
Now that's the way a spray should look, not like that skimpy TF piece.

RC

Yikes, there's that word again!
Please no more private messages from the gallery reprimanding me for using such negative language.

Reactions: 1 person
Jean,
attachment.php

Beautiful!

RC

Please no more private messages from the gallery reprimanding me for using such negative language.

Thanks my friend!

Since the family appeared to have selected a style of spray they liked from the funeral home......I don't think you could truly call it a 'designer's choice'

Gorgeous, beautiful spray - Fantastic job and a beautiful design. If I ever get to Augusta anytime soon.....Expect a visit......even if I have to get there on my bad leg.

Question here????
Is not the picture from the TF book taken with the "spray" on the top of the open lid of a casket???
If that is the case, then it would be much smaller than a regular casket spray for balance purposes?? (we don't do these things here...done maybe two in 34 years and they were actually on spray holders and laid on top of two tall bouquet easels by the time we got done)
Therefore, if the order was for a casket spray "ON" the casket not the lid, the price should be higher.
My funeral director had a hemorhage when I walked in with the first one we did to set on the "top of the lid of the casket".....took some mighty convincing on how we were going to display it "like the book".
We had a matching foot spray and the only piece to the funeral was the foot spray, not the top piece.
Could that have been the difference in the pricing?

Sounds like this would be the perfect opportunity to go into the funeral home and meet with the directors with pictures of your work and talk to them about pricing, mis-leading WS pictures, etc. and begin to form a working relationship or if one exisits already, to strengthen it.

t some families like the "traditional" which I understand, especially if they are buying for what their mother would like, but that price thing has been really bothering me today....

I would endeavor to find out the reasons behind the higher than normal price if I could as well. It could be anything from the FH keeping a percentage of the selling price for themselves or it could be that the family pre-booked and the original amount allocated for flowers increased with addition of interest to that amount to something less than ethical.

I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Getting too much money is a tough problem to have.

Not a good reason to question either their knowlege, selling practices or ethics.

Jean,
attachment.php

Beautiful!

RC

RC,
That wasn't a reprimand. It was me asking nicely to leave sarcasm out of your posts because it draws away from the thread. I see that you really are not interested in doing this and you could have just stated that in a PM back. I will never ever PM you again, you can bet on that. Now that I know what kind of person you are. Thanks for confirming...

opinons vary

I love RC's sarcasm.

Please don't stop.

His input on this thread was very valuable.

Yes Jon... RC has much to offer. I too wish it was offered without sarcasm. It's so unnecessary.

V

I have no doubt that he has alot to share and say. I just think he sometimes comes off as an ass, his comments rubbed me the wrong way and I sent a PM asking that he not divert the thread with such nonsense. I did it in a PM to prevent this kind of momentum slamming crap. But now that I have confirmed that he is a pompous ass, I will just let it go. It is just his way and that is that, he can't help it.....I am now done on the subject and will not be adding anymore, just felt that he unneccessarily outed a very honest and sincere PM not meant to be a reprimand but more of a plea to not ruin a thread with nonsense. Thank you and have a good day. Once again it is proven opinions vary...

I guess I missed something here ... I didn't see a mention of Lori's name, or anyone's name referred in RC's post about the PM. Personally, I think RC was just shooting from the hip, like we all do sometimes. I'm not offended, but I'm not easily offended.
:)

FTR - just about everybody here has been sarcastic at some point on FlowerChat - everyone comes off as an ass sometimes- lots of comments rub somebody the wrong way ... including you Lori, including me, everybody. If we all stopped listening, or posting, to avoid the BS that we all share .... it'd be a lonely lonely place.

Wow, I guess I am dumbfounded...I really did not see 'sarcasm" in RC's post...over the years we have rubbed each other wrong, disagreed on a few subjects, pm'd each other, sent each other orders, talked on the phone, and basically become friends. If friends can't toss around an opinion that might be edgy...well..what have we come too? He certainly has more to offer business wise than I ever will...keep posting RC..sarcasm or whatever, however...just share your experiences and knowldge with us. Thanks.....and Lori this is in no way directed to you. I enjoy your posts as well....
Sher
This board has had some posts in the past that were downright mean to RC as well so maybe he had his Darth Vader shields up...let's not make anyone a target...

Back to the thread............
I looked in the TF book and it states one sided.....68" X 28"
How do you balance a full casket saddle on top of a lid?
Do all Funeral Directors have high stands to put these on?

Back to the thread............
I looked in the TF book and it states one sided.....68" X 28"
How do you balance a full casket saddle on top of a lid?
Do all Funeral Directors have high stands to put these on?

Mine does not. When I had this ordered I talked to my funeral home and he came up with a hook device that held it up. I didn't use a casket saddle though, I used a spray bar. It worked ok, and looked really good. My funeral director asked me not to take another order for one though. He was afraid the whole time it would fall on the deceased. So now I just tell my customers that the funeral home requests we not send that particular style as there is really no way to attach it safely.

At least here in our area....none of the funeral homes sell a casket like that.....nor do I see one on that internet casket retailer - Casket Royale.

Before I left the last shop, the way we handled pictures like that is that we explained that it was one-sided, etc, could not be displayed like that, and so forth.

I usually quoted a higher price than the suggested retails simply because we had to convert it from a one-sided design to an ovaled, seen from all sides design.

They have racks that hold the spray above the casket, it is never really sitting on the open lid. Very traditional in this area, and I have rarely seen an open casket viewing without one. Most are done on styrofoam sheets, and it varies around the area as to what they use for oasis and how. It is a very interesting point, because what works in one area would never fly in others. They are one sided here, because they are above the casket, and up against the wall. In south western Pa, many many caskets are fully opened, and foot sprays are done accordingly. The really large half sprays are not done so much, because they don't set on the lid.

If I had sold one of these, I would have to tell the family that we could do it only if the FD was met with and it was discussed as to how to secure it and that he would have to be the one to be comfortable with the arrangement. I have never and probably will never have to do one of these...This area is very big for half open caskets and a piece sitting on the foot of the casket. Very traditional here and probably always will be. Not to many people do anything different.

I believe I read somehwere in a design manual that this arrangement is set up on pedastals behind the lid. Not sure on this and can't be quoted...Just a vague memory in the back of my mind..

Oh and as to my other posts.....erase, erase, erase....I got hit by a car last week and may be over sensitive...I am over it and mean mo disrespect to anyone. I just do not like when I say something in a private forum and it is met with a snide remark in a public way...whether my name was mentioned or not, I know I am in that gallery of PMers and I thought it was in poor taste. Moving along I will now just know that his posts will be sarcastic and will ignore what I do not like...Thanks all and yes many times in the past I have made myself look like an ass with my mouth and when called on it I make a apology to whom ever I may have made to feel bad...Sorry if my post was out of line and sorry RC for trying to ask you to be someone other than who you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.