What would you charge for this spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have racks that hold the spray above the casket, it is never really sitting on the open lid. Very traditional in this area, and I have rarely seen an open casket viewing without one. Most are done on styrofoam sheets, and it varies around the area as to what they use for oasis and how. It is a very interesting point, because what works in one area would never fly in others. They are one sided here, because they are above the casket, and up against the wall. In south western Pa, many many caskets are fully opened, and foot sprays are done accordingly. The really large half sprays are not done so much, because they don't set on the lid.

Ivy, do you have these in the store or does the FD keep them in his place. I would love to see a picture of what they look like...

We actually did this spray last week. We charged $250 for it. We used starfighter lilies and other flowers purchased from Flowerbuyer. We covered the back also. We substituted, with the customer's permission, some flowers. We also filled in (made less skimpy) by using mini carns, each stem of which had 5-8 blooms with pretty long breaks. Our customer loved it.

Actually, upon taking another look, we did a similar spray, not this one. I thought it was this one because we had added more lilies and ours looked more like this one than the other. Sorry!

BTW, I would just like to publicly state that I've been reading RC's posts for years, here and on another board, and he has a lot to teach us. He can buy at prices that most of us cannot, but most of us do not have the number of shops that he has or anywhere near the number of orders that he fills in a single day. He has ideas that are quite different from what we learned in our design classes and in shops where we've worked. For example, go to his website and count the number of roses in his dozen roses. He has a very valid reason for this. His ideas have merit, and he has certainly been patient and kind with me with my many questions over the years. He has freely and generously shared information and helpful thoughts.

I hope that Randy never goes away or changes. And I'm glad that none of his shops are in my area!

Oh Lori - I can empathize with getting hit by a car........It's been just a little over a month ago now since Mine and Mother's life was turned upside down by a crazy driver who ran a stop sign and totally trashed our car and left both of us injured. Trust me, I have been through every gamut of emotion associated with a car wreck that there is.

from self-pity, to anger, to desperation, to exasperation, you name it.

We have delivered a similar piece, once. Double spray saddle, with multiple easels holding it in place. We loosely wired the piece to the easels. Not a graceful solution, and one I would be hesitant to offer again.

...I got hit by a car last week and may be over sensitive....
:eek: Lori - I'm sorry to hear that! Hope it's nothing serious ...

They have racks that hold the spray above the casket, it is never really sitting on the open lid. Very traditional in this area, and I have rarely seen an open casket viewing without one. Most are done on styrofoam sheets, and it varies around the area as to what they use for oasis and how. It is a very interesting point, because what works in one area would never fly in others. They are one sided here, because they are above the casket, and up against the wall. In south western Pa, many many caskets are fully opened, and foot sprays are done accordingly. The really large half sprays are not done so much, because they don't set on the lid.

31 Years ago when I started in this wonerful insanity We made casket sprays in styrofoam on wire frames. Some of the local funeral homes had spray stands that held the spray above the casket. When we started using wet foam these same funeral homes kind of freaked out. Now a lot of the funeral directors here don't even remember hanging sprays and casket sprays.

It is very interesting, the trends from area to area. I can remember going down south to Augusta GA for a funeral and being surprised at all the pieces on easels, and the different shapes. I was wondering where the top spray was, and realized they don't do that.

31 Years ago when I started in this wonerful insanity We made casket sprays in styrofoam on wire frames. Some of the local funeral homes had spray stands that held the spray above the casket. When we started using wet foam these same funeral homes kind of freaked out. Now a lot of the funeral directors here don't even remember hanging sprays and casket sprays.

Although I haven't done them myself, I have seen easel sprays picked into a tied together grouping of gladiola stems. You took about 10 to 12 left over stems of gladiola, used the florist green twine to tightly bound the stems together into a cylinder shape, then you wrapped the bundle with green tissue and wrapped it with more twine to secure the tissue. Then you wood picked your flowers and greens into the cylinder of stems. However, I have done the old style hand-tied sprays.

Wow, I guess I am dumbfounded...I really did not see 'sarcasm" in RC's post...over the years we have rubbed each other wrong, disagreed on a few subjects, pm'd each other, sent each other orders, talked on the phone, and basically become friends. If friends can't toss around an opinion that might be edgy...well..what have we come too? He certainly has more to offer business wise than I ever will...keep posting RC..sarcasm or whatever, however...just share your experiences and knowldge with us. Thanks.....and Lori this is in no way directed to you. I enjoy your posts as well....
Sher
This board has had some posts in the past that were downright mean to RC as well so maybe he had his Darth Vader shields up...let's not make anyone a target...

:yourock:

Good post - RC has endured quite a raft of sht up in here - from florists who do in a month about what his business does in a day, if that much. Many times he's posted something very useful just to be told he's wrong by that type. After a while you get sick of that crap and become a bit jaded.

I didn't see it as sarcasm either - just brutally truthful. And that truth stings like a beatch sometimes.....

I enjoy your posts too Lori - but you've read RC wrong.

:yourock:

Good post - RC has endured quite a raft of sht up in here - from florists who do in a month about what his business does in a day, if that much. Many times he's posted something very useful just to be told he's wrong by that type. After a while you get sick of that crap and become a bit jaded.

I didn't see it as sarcasm either - just brutally truthful. And that truth stings like a beatch sometimes.....

I enjoy your posts too Lori - but you've read RC wrong.

I have apologized and that is all I can do...Wow, I am getting crap from all angles...I am sorry, I had a bad couple of weeks and I said I may have been over sensitive...

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, now that I finally got thru what everyone else had to say...IF I were to make it (I wouldn't tho) I would price it at $300. Actual price is $280, but I would put lots more greens in it. We always use at least 3 different kinds of greens in arrrangements. We tell our customers that the Funeral Homes in our area does not want these types of Casket Sprays. I stear them to the other types. Works every time.

Why would any florist add more flowers and or greens to this casket spray if it would change the look of the casket spray?

Forget the recipe.

Isn't your - our- goal to make this casket spray exactly like it is pictured in the book?

After all, if a custmer selects this casket spray, aren't we obligated to make it as close as possible to the picture?

Early on, in this thread, I priced this arrangement based on my knowledge of my local wholesale prices. I think it was Sunday morning and I was costing this casket spray from my memory of wholesale prices, not an invoice. Stargazers cost around $25.00 per bunch, local wholesale prices on 60 cm red roses are around $1.00 per stem, I forget the rest of products used, but my point is, I costed this out on a 3times markup and then 30 pct labor.

I believe that my approach to pricing this casket spray, again based on memory and not current local wholesale prices were and are generally accepted as appropriate.

I did not price my flowers based on a discounted price such as flower buyer or some direct importer.

Why 30 pct labor? Part of the labor bill will pay for my ancillary non design staff. Sales, delivery, processing, office, etc labor.

Could I make this casket spray for $100?

Could I make this casket spray for $200?

Could I make this casket spray for $300?

Yes, the look and feel of this casket spray would be in every price category, the difference would be the size and number of flowers.

Over the course of a year, I make well over a thousand fresh funeral bouquets. With that type of practice a 20 minute casket spray is easily achieved. Funeral containers take about 5 to 10 minutes of design time.

Joe

Why would any florist add more flowers and or greens to this casket spray if it would change the look of the casket spray?
Because of customer expectations. More flowers and greens are needed to make a proper representation on this casket spray. Also, trying to duplicate an image that's only a few square inches doesn't allow for details such as textures that a variety of greens can provide.

Isn't your - our- goal to make this casket spray exactly like it is pictured in the book?
After all, if a custmer selects this casket spray, aren't we obligated to make it as close as possible to the picture?​
No. It is much more important to meet and exceed customer expectation. In this case as in most wire service images it is impossible to duplicate the pictures with the recipes given. A florist who puts the criteria of the picture and recipe ahead of customer expectations will rarely ever wow! the customer. You will find yourself too often justifying the picture and recipe to disappointed customers.

Would you rather wow! the customer by exceeding expectations or have to say something like, "I'm sorry you were disappointed, but I followed the picture and recipe given."

RC

As Randy says....it is better to hear "It was so much prettier than the picture"
and considering the amount given was more than the SRP, the filling florist is free to utilize those extra $$ to make it "even better than the picture" IMHO

Because of customer expectations. More flowers and greens are needed to make a proper representation on this casket spray. Also, trying to duplicate an image that's only a few square inches doesn't allow for details such as textures that a variety of greens can provide.

Isn't your - our- goal to make this casket spray exactly like it is pictured in the book?​

After all, if a custmer selects this casket spray, aren't we obligated to make it as close as possible to the picture?
No. It is much more important to meet and exceed customer expectation. In this case as in most wire service images it is impossible to duplicate the pictures with the recipes given. A florist who puts the criteria of the picture and recipe ahead of customer expectations will rarely ever wow! the customer. You will find yourself too often justifying the picture and recipe to disappointed customers.

Would you rather wow! the customer by exceeding expectations or have to say something like, "I'm sorry you were disappointed, but I followed the picture and recipe given."

RC

I could not have said it any better.

Meeting and Exceeding the customer's expectations and perceptions is VITAL to maintaining and keeping good customers in today's marketplace. In todays marketplace environments.....being good enough just is not enough. I've seen and heard many things from customers in floral shops for 25 plus years of being in this industry......and the one thing I have never heard from any customer is "OMG - WOW !!!!!!!!!" I will always strive to hear my customers say "WOW - I had no idea anything could look as great as that....WOW"

There is part of a quote which says this so eloquently - 'Good enough is never enough if I can do it better, Better is Never enough if I can do it Best'

There is more to this, but the exact wording escapes me.

Isn't your - our- goal to make this casket spray exactly like it is pictured in the book?​

RC

If the customer picks and expects a bouquet out of a book, and wants that bouquet, why would you as an owner of a flower shop allow your designer to change or modify the design that the custom chose?

It's all about the customer, not about you, the designer or me.

Randy, You are not stupid, but I am having a hard time believing that you would allow one of your designers to add, delete or modify an arrangement that one of your customer's chose.

joe

RC

Since you did not preface your WOW comments. I can only interpret your WOW comment as an interpretation, a guess, at what you think your customer wants. Go ahead make those assumptions, but for me I am more interested in knowing exactly what the customer wants.

If a customer selects a picture with no additional commentary, make it as close to the picture as possible.

If you consult with the customer and they want extra to WOW! then that is fine, but don't assume.

Randy, I don't suspect that in real life you are so cavalier with your customers as you portray yourself here at FC. From what I read of your previous posts, you are geniunely interested in satisfying your customers.

Joe

just a thought Randy,

if a customer orders one rose in a bud vase, why would a florist add two, just for the sake of adding WOW!

joe

One other issue, that I think is pertinent.

You, apparently, are in a different position than most flower shops here on FC, therefore your responses to prices, costs, ws's etc wild/might/could be different than the others here.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.