What’s Behind the Curtain?

Have you guys been following the recent upheaval in the airline travel industry? It sort of mirrors the OG issue in our business.

American Airlines and Delta have both cut off some 'resellers' (OGs of travel) because the fees charged by companies like Expedia and Travelocity have cut too deeply into the airlines' profits.

American Airlines has developed software they want to force the OGs to use - instead of them providing the traditional data feeds to travel aggregators. American basically wants each consumer/searcher to come into their own 'site' where they can offer timely deals, add-ons and upgrades. They want to control the sale.

In essences, this is how florist-delivered online flower selling should work, too. Florists in delivery locations should be queried for live inventory, prices and delivery fees - instead of being told what to make at a (usually unreasonable) price with products they don't have in stock. 'In the unlikely need of substitution' discalimers by OGs are one of the biggest lies in the biz.

Realistically, how many shops can deliver a design like this or this on short notice?

There's no way a shop in Manhattan, and a store in Tupelo MS and a florist in Anchorage are able to regularly fill and deliver the same orders at the same prices on a same-day or next-day basis. Their costs of overhead, product and delivery will be wildly different - and the retail prices - and menus - offered to LOCAL consumers will definitely reflect that. But not via the WSs and OGs - which just care about the sale - and not about the fulfillment.

IMO consumers are not at all interested in what it costs local florists to accept OG orders.

They ARE interested in getting what they thought they ordered at the best possible price.

But as long as local florists are willing to cough up 35-40% in commissions and fees, the WSs and OGs will continue to run 20% off specials and sell a local florist's flowers cheaper than the shop does to its own customers.

...Florists in delivery locations should be queried for live inventory, prices and delivery fees - instead of being told what to make at a (usually unreasonable) price with products they don't have in stock...

This was the original design of our service and is still our vision of the future. We quickly encountered opposition from florists who didn't want to give the time it takes to maintain such a system. To date our experience has been that florists don't want to be inconvenienced. So we made it easy enter the zips that you cover and we will send you customers’ orders at 100%, and still some can’t be bothered to do something that simple. Remember to get the customers’ attention we have to show them how and why we are different. No service available today began with all its features in place; they grew to a vision supporting the needs of the industry, Google included.

It's so hard for me to understand why a consumer can't figure out that they can go directly to the florist. In every town there are local shops with websites. I don't understand why a company that is not a florist would even need to be involved in the process. I'm all for educating the comsumer but I think they should be educated to just call the @@@@ florist and ask what they have or use that florists website to order. Maybe they can get it cheaper using OGs but can't they figure out that flowers are not like airline tickets? Quality varies so widely with flowers and florist service and you get what you pay for.

That's the point, lets educate them. "knowing how to differentiate between products or services is critical to the buying process. The internet has changed how we buy things. Today value conscious customers will research a product online to gain better understanding and find better pricing & availability. "

Although, like in any industry there are poor representatives (shops that don't meet the standard) by in large florists are hard working business people trying to produce the best product they can while making a decent living. So why not let the customer know that the florist is not the cause of the problem. I believe as customer begins to understand how much you are at the mercy of OGs and the difficult if not impossible situation you are in, the blame will fall where it should. This in turn will cause the customer to be a better consumer cutting out OGs and increasing your profits. This kind of change doesn't happen over night, but if you are willing to support the cause, it will happen.

PS - A florist just posted on our facebook page that he just got a Teleflora payment of $1,500.00 for orders he processed over the hoildays totaling $6,000.00, he is not very happy. http://www.facebook.com/ezbloomers

Please, don't throw arbitrary numbers into the mix without the details. Prior to using "a florist who posted on your Facebook page" , why don't we get all the details

1) How many orders did this florist send out?
I can not count the number of flower retailers I have spoken to over the years that quite frankly do not understand how to read a wire service statement. All to often if they cut a check they feel they are being ripped off. Yet the reality is that often when I have sat down with them and gone through there statement the reality is that they were doing quite well and the large number of outgoings they were sending resulted in their owing money.

2) What other services are they purchasing from the wire service?
Again, break the statement down. do they list in surrounding cities, do they have a computer system they lease, did they buy hardgoods, etc.

Yes , the fact is that some shops should simply not belong to a wire service, they don't have the volume ( incoming or outgoing ) to justify it. However if a shop received $6000 worth of incoming and actuality received $1500, there is more to it than meets the eye.

I know that you are attempting to make a case for your service, and I certainly wish you success with it. But please do not build your case with innuendos, false information, and by dragging our industry through the mud in the eyes of the consumer. All to often the term DOG is used on here, I suggest that you want to avoid falling into that. Being classified as dishonest entails more than simply deceiving the consumer, it can also involve stretching the facts (intentionally or unintentionally) to sell your service to sell your service.

Please, don't throw arbitrary numbers into the mix without the details. Prior to using "a florist who posted on your Facebook page" , why don't we get all the details

Your implication is uncalled for. The numbers were posted on our facebook page by a florist. I suggest you ask the florist directly rather than accusing me of falsehood.

Additionally, to my knowledge we have only disclosed the ugly truth about the industry by also painting the florist as a victim of the current model. For the consumer to care they must know what the possible effect is to them.

You talk about negative exposure for the industry “Last month the two biggest names in online flowers,1800FLOWERS.com and FTD.com, were summoned by the US Senate Commerce Committee for records of their participation in post transactional marketing programs labeled “scams,” “robbery” and “theft” by both angry consumers and US Senators</SPAN>http://www.flowerchat.com/real-florists-blog/2009/11/online-florists-ethics/
</SPAN>

Reactions: BOSS
The false statements being talked about are the statemnet that 455 of what the consumer pays for their order is coming out of the flowers being sent..this statement is false in most instances...The only time this is not false is with bad florists not filling to the full amount or bad sending onlys that skim and additional percentage of the top...These are both examples of the far end of the spectrum when it comes to wire service members as a whole...The vast majority of us follow the rules and fill to value, many of us wrestle daily with what to do about the others that are ruining our industry with lies, deceit and bad product. Many of us are coming to the reality that we can no longer fill orders at the loss and have deemed the model as broken and are taking steps to eliminate filling for those companies or eliminating the services from our lives..This being said, I am not even focussing on what you are selling as a product, your company has an ad that I personally don't like the message. There are many faults with the information being given to the consumers in our industry from your company..either it being confusing or false..You need to fix your message beofre you become just one more bone of contention in our industry...You have every right to advertise your business and sell it to whomever you want, but you will not win our truyst, or our business with a message like you have...You may win the business of Florists who don't know how to read a wirestatement that are just as confused as your message...your message simply reads like a FWOAC...it does nothing to help the consumer understand why their flowers look like crap and it has false numbers doing the selling to Florists that really need to learn what they are buying but have no clue and probably should just give up....either way your model isn't doing anything for itself, it is selling a bad message to consumers and it is selling itslef to the weakest link of our industry...bad moves on both angles...

You talk about negative exposure for the industry “Last month the two biggest names in online flowers,1800FLOWERS.com and FTD.com, were summoned by the US Senate Commerce Committee for records of their participation in post transactional marketing programs labeled “scams,” “robbery” and “theft” by both angry consumers and US Senators</SPAN>http://www.flowerchat.com/real-florists-blog/2009/11/online-florists-ethics/
</SPAN>

So that makes "throwing more gas on the fire" a good idea?

AS for the numbers what I was suggesting is that you should verify the details prior to using them against your competitor

After reading these post, I think the big picture is being missed. There are far more orders in OG and Wire Service land then ever before. Service fees have been increasing dramatically in the last 10 years. The florists is being charged additional fees. The amount that is being spent on flowers are increasing but yet the value received is decreasing. All on the backs of florists. The florists is expected to fill the order at full value yet the expense of receiving those orders have increased. Then on top of that you get paid a month later!

Here EZbloomers comes along to try to do something about it like:
1. No service fees to consumers.
2. Florists participate in the Product Selection guide of EZBloomers.
3. Florists participate in the pricing of the selection guide.
4. Florists do not have to pay clearing fees, or commissions or transmission fees.
5. Florists get paid right away - And not have to wait for next month to receive a Wire Statement Check minus all of its deductions.
6. Florists gets the full customer information and essence receives the customer.
EZbloomers comes along - trying to promote a business concept for the overall benefit of the industry. I am disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm among the Flower Chat group. At least EZbloomers is trying to do something about the way the industry is going. For 35 years Myself and KImba have always try to benefit this industry we dearly love. We have a track record to prove it. All the leading systems out there came as a result of vision and hard work from myself and Kimba. We actually created the first florists system in 1970 again met with skeptism and doubt but we perservered. Now here we go again. I don't understand why instead of just trying to find the knock offs why this isn't embraced. And it may not be a perfect plan from your point of view but at least we are trying to do something for the florists. Not just waiting around for someone to do it for us!

Reactions: KABERS and BOSS
.........................I am disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm among the Flower Chat group. At least EZbloomers is trying to do something about the way the industry is going. For 35 years Myself and KImba have always try to benefit this industry we dearly love. We have a track record to prove it. All the leading systems out there came as a result of vision and hard work from myself and Kimba. We actually created the first florists system in 1970 again met with skeptism and doubt but we perservered. Now here we go again...................

This is a tough group, they've seen many ahead of you and probably alot behind you.....................Let your product do the talking. No one is questioning the sincerity of your "vision", we all suffer from the "beaten florist syndrome".......................
Like Eric said "show your plan"...............................good meats need to be marinated.

Reactions: FANCIES and Big A
Fair enough. But the plan is simple that is the beauty of this plan. There are no hidden gotchas. So far we have over 10,000 zip covering about 1/3 of the population in the US (you would be impress with the caliber florists that have partner with EZbloomers) And the most common question we got is ok WHERE'S THE CATCH?. They say that because if you closely analyze the plan it is totally a win win for consumers and florists and hopefully EZbloomers. But the plan is this simple: (see Below)
4. Florists do not have to pay clearing fees, or commissions or transmission fees.
5. Florists get paid right away - And not have to wait for next month to receive a Wire Statement Check minus all of its deductions.
6. Florists gets the full customer information and essence receives the customer.

Read more: What’s Behind the Curtain?
Where professional florists grow FC Professional Florist Community

After reading these post, I think the big picture is being missed. There are far more orders in OG and Wire Service land then ever before. Service fees have been increasing dramatically in the last 10 years. The florists is being charged additional fees. The amount that is being spent on flowers are increasing but yet the value received is decreasing. All on the backs of florists. The florists is expected to fill the order at full value yet the expense of receiving those orders have increased. Then on top of that you get paid a month later!

Here EZbloomers comes along to try to do something about it like:
EZbloomers comes along - trying to promote a business concept for the overall benefit of the industry. I am disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm among the Flower Chat group. At least EZbloomers is trying to do something about the way the industry is going. For 35 years Myself and KImba have always try to benefit this industry we dearly love. We have a track record to prove it. All the leading systems out there came as a result of vision and hard work from myself and Kimba. We actually created the first florists system in 1970 again met with skeptism and doubt but we perservered. Now here we go again. I don't understand why instead of just trying to find the knock offs why this isn't embraced. And it may not be a perfect plan from your point of view but at least we are trying to do something for the florists. Not just waiting around for someone to do it for us!

THe BIG picture is not being missed...The big picture is the fact that through marketing false statements of any kind the end user(the florist) loses..They lose money, customer base and time...Yes there are a huge amount of orders flowing through the OGs, and many are getting transferered badley, filled badly and handled badly on both sides...but airing the whys and howcomes of this situation does not bolster consumer confidence especially where it is already waivering...all I was merely saying is that your ad needs to be amended...your message needs to change, your facts need to be correct in order to sell your product...We don't need a savior that is going to harm our already fragile industry, we need a compnay who will stop and listen to us...the ogs learned our weak points and built their model all on the hard work of florists and we fell right into it, the wire services did the same thing....we are beaten, battered and bruised and left holding the bag...We are tired of florists and wireservices alike that confuse the issues at hand and your company seems to have fallen into that confusion, either that or no different than any other, you have recognized that the vast majority of florists are confused and you are capitalizing on that fact to sell your program...While it may be a better alternative than wire service itself; I am concerned that the marketing message is and can be harmful to our industry if left to grow and be fostered...The message is incorrect, the numbers and facts given are not the norm and it is more marketing ron around that real florists don't want to stoop to to win the game...

So maybe you are not getting the BIG picture...10 years ago florists never saw the BIG picture and look where we are now...If florists don't look at the falsness of the message here, I am very afraid that the BIG picture isn't going to be a pretty one for us...

I really am not sure most of us need another service to be any kind of go between for our orders...and I am not sure why your company thinks that your service will help us do something that we do already...we have been in the order taking realm a whole lot longer than anyone and we all agree on one thing...It is way easier for us to take, fill and get paid for orders we take direct that any orders that are taken and diercted through us...we know what is available and what is possible for our shop to handle and that wins with the customer every single time...maybe if we all stopped worrying about who can get us orders and spending our time and money filling these less than stellar orders we could all take that time and money getting our customer base to grow....

Again I am not saying your company doesn't have a place in our industry, i am sure many florists are looking for a company like yours to save them from the WS grind...Many will find your system a good fit...my concern is the further confusion of the issue to florists and consumers..and that is where it ends...We NEED positivity in our industry right now, not more negativity especially in our public appearances...Negativity only works to drive people away...they will listen and then decide that the industry as a whole is a bunch of crooks and noone acn be trusted so they will buy popcorn, or cookies or chocolates and we all know who owns those companies will win anyway...

Reactions: concord
Setting the "ad's" aside for a minute.... what negatives do folks have with this new venture that is designed to connect consumers with florists directly, giving the florist all the customer data for a price well below the current models they are clinging to?

For years, many years there has been a clamor from florists here on FC and the other florist BBS for "someone" "anyone" to step up and put together a "national image" that would help to fight the ongoing destruction of this fragile industry... now that there is a possible contender everyone seems like they really don't want one. I know Abner and Kimba personally, never have I met two people who have the best interests of florists foremost in their minds. I'm not saying to not be skeptical but at least think about the possibilities.

Yes, I understand everyone's concern about the ad's, and while I don't agree that consumers will be turned off to flowers in general, I can see where some would think that. Those of you that know me, know I would (and do) take the same tact with consumers explaining what the hell's happening to our industry. Yes, I see the down side, but not one of you has even mentioned nor appeared concerned about the damage being done to this industry by wire services and order gatherers. They are the ones that have changed the game, they are the ones who have ruined a once vibrant industry, they are the ones doing the most damage to consumer confidence... Kay's, Best Florist, Urban and many others come to mind, all condoned, encouraged and funded by the wire services, and florists continue to support them... it boggles the mind...

I'm not saying everyone should jump on the EzBloomers band wagon, it's not for everyone, but @@@@ it, at least they are trying to do something good for florists. At least they are trying to do "something"... it's a lot more than anyone else is doing...

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected or part of (at this time) EzBloomers.

BOSS

Reply To Lori:
I still don't think you get it. You don't see that what is happening today with online orders as negative to consumers and florists and the industry as a whole: Consumers are paying increasing amount of services fees, florists are asked to fill orders to value yet are being charged increasing fees all the time. Haven't you notice the number of florists who have flat out gone out of business or a struggling just to keep up with the expenses. If the prevailing business model going on today is bad for the florists then its bad for the entire industry. The florists is the backbone of the industry and the most important component. They need a partner that works with them not against them. You tell me again what is wrong with the following Business model:

1. Don't Charge Consumers Service Fees: (More value towards the product for dollars spent).
2. Receiving florists does not pay a 20% Commission Fee nor a 7% clearing fee. (on a $100 order that is 27 dollars).
3. Florists does not pay $2 transmission fee.
4. Florist pays a flat $5.50 fee regardless of value of the order.
5. Florists participate in the selection guide of EZbloomers.
6. Florists participate in the price of the arrangements in the EZbloomers selection guide (who else does that!)
7. Florists gets paid immediately - as soon as he accepts the order (Helps cash flow -does not have to wait a month).
8. Florists gets the customer - EZbloomers sends all the contact information to florist and an essence captures the customer.
9. Any future orders will be automatically sent to the same florists who filled their previous order.
10. Ezbloomers leads the consumer to pick designer's choice products so it can be left up to the florist to fill.
11. Customer service is between the florists and the customer - no one in the middle to screw things up.

Where is the negative in that business plan? EZbloomers is a strong partner for florists.

I still don't think you get it................................EZbloomers is a strong partner for florists.

I think we most of us do get it it, but it took PF 3 years and several MILLION dollars to grab the 25% of the marketshare. They then realized that same day delivery had to be there, so they started From You, to offer the same day delivery model and then they "bid" out to a delivery platform (Tele) now BN and have gained upwards of 40% of the marketing share for DS and I forget the number for same day. So we all get the story of higher fees, etc. etc. etc. but is there someone out there that has the "money" to do what you say you can do.

Example: I have a web address of www.hungryflorists.com that I wanted to do something similar to your plant, but after extensive market research I saw that it was going to take way more money than I had. I approaced 2 investors and showed them the plan to also agreed they saw a need to spend over 1 million to effectively compete and get up and running or $100 a month from 2,000 florist to really be effective and not make money yet. (Sounds like any 3 we know).

Once you spend the kind of money to do this your decisions are made based on finances (not loyalty) because you have investors, share holders, family, etc. that want their money. All of the major 3 have approached each other about being bought. Trust me any would sell today and fast if they could. That's why I said in another thread yesterday, I think PF will be the new partner of BN....................................................

So, "how deep are your pockets?"............................

Reactions: FANCIES
Reply To Lori:
I still don't think you get it. You don't see that what is happening today with online orders as negative to consumers and florists and the industry as a whole: Consumers are paying increasing amount of services fees, florists are asked to fill orders to value yet are being charged increasing fees all the time. Haven't you notice the number of florists who have flat out gone out of business or a struggling just to keep up with the expenses. If the prevailing business model going on today is bad for the florists then its bad for the entire industry. The florists is the backbone of the industry and the most important component. They need a partner that works with them not against them. You tell me again what is wrong with the following Business model:

1. Don't Charge Consumers Service Fees: (More value towards the product for dollars spent).
2. Receiving florists does not pay a 20% Commission Fee nor a 7% clearing fee. (on a $100 order that is 27 dollars).
3. Florists does not pay $2 transmission fee.
4. Florist pays a flat $5.50 fee regardless of value of the order.
5. Florists participate in the selection guide of EZbloomers.
6. Florists participate in the price of the arrangements in the EZbloomers selection guide (who else does that!)
7. Florists gets paid immediately - as soon as he accepts the order (Helps cash flow -does not have to wait a month).
8. Florists gets the customer - EZbloomers sends all the contact information to florist and an essence captures the customer.
9. Any future orders will be automatically sent to the same florists who filled their previous order.
10. Ezbloomers leads the consumer to pick designer's choice products so it can be left up to the florist to fill.
11. Customer service is between the florists and the customer - no one in the middle to screw things up.

Where is the negative in that business plan? EZbloomers is a strong partner for florists.

This is the exact reason why we(as an industry) never get anywhere....we respond to an issue with other issues that have nothing to do with the original...

1. I don't have a problem with the function of your business. I am sure it will fit the needs of many florists...maybe even mine.

2. I do see the problems with what the wireservices are doing and that is why I am working towards being wireservice free...I refuse orders from any OG's including TF.com, I only deal with direct f2f orders from real florists to real florists, period!!!

3. The only problem I have is with your message and the truth and validity of the numbers posed...I am not saying that some florists don't fill less value on wireins, but the majority follow the rules to a fault...and many go out of business being bled dry because of the rules and our unwaivering morals to uphold our belief that all orders should be full value for the sake of the consumer and recipient.

Now maybe you will stop pushing your program on me and respond directly to the exact problem I have and stop putting words in my mouth that were never said or discussed....You have nothing to do with wire services, you have nothing to do with OGs...they didn't make your ad, I hope...and my problem still stand s at the ad...not your program...

and for the record, I don't sit here waiting for anyone else to do anything for me and my company...I am not waiting for a savior for our industry...all I want is for florists, and any agents within our industry to use the industries many strong and good points to advertise...I have been down the negative road, I have heard the negative poor us stories, they just don't sound good when you hear them stepping out side our industry...

Tell me, if you saw and ad from Jarrod telling you that Kay's Jewelers Diamonds were over priced and flawed, and that they charged for cleanings, and you got less for your dollar because they spent way to much to someone else to mine the diamonds and polish the diamons and set the diamonds....would you shop at either company...I know I would bother with diamonds because now I think all diamond dealers are shady, once you open up to the public where the money trail leaks, it takes all the splendor out of the ambiance that makes up the whole package...

This is never the best way to sell luxury or semi luxury items...the services and conveniences that are part of the business are sometimes the main product of the business and is what sells their brand and provides their niche within the industry, to have someone come along and make it seem as though those extra services are in fact taking away from their dollar value even if it is affects the way people look at that product...This is what drives people in droves to costco and big boxes...people don't often look at the service that shops like ours provide as anything until they can't put together a wedding or they expect costco to deliver a funeral basket in 10 minutes and cannot get it...Then they come to us and and are shocked by the price because they have an unrealistic view of what goes into our business...and how much service, knowledge and talent does cost...

That being said, most flower shops would not put more money into florist to florist orders no matter how they were derived by changing services, the florist alone would just make more money...the end product would not change. This is the #1 reason why your ad does not work...Godd florists always give full value and good product regardless of the extra costs of doing business...Bad florists are bad and always will be, period..we all need to trim costs, we all could use more money, none of us are giving the money we save away to the customer by stuffing it into arrangements...

So to answer you question, there is nothing negative about your business model. There is negative and/or confusing info being presented in your ad...

I am a firm believer that our industry needs some change, maybe this concept is a good start. I will state again that I am not in agreement in any way with trying to make change by slurring sectors of our industry. Particularly as is being done in this case.

We have a virtual unknown "educating" the consumer that all of the known brands are ripping them off. Unfortunately a couple of videos on the net are not going to come close to matching the PR weight of ProFlowers, FTD, etc. All it will do is muddy the waters in the consumers mind.

Having said that I wish EZBloomers the best of luck with your venture.

Whatever. Not trying to push anything on you. That would be a waste of time. EZbloomers.com has actually done several case studies with different consumer groups in Florida, New York and Michigan. Overwhelmingly the response has been an appreciation for information.

You have your beliefs EZbloomers.com has theirs. At the end of the day I believe what EZbloomers.com is doing for the industry is positive and will win the day eventually. So far there has been many quality top notch florists who see the value and EZbloomers will continue to grow. EZbloomers.com Florists are now covering aproximate 40% of the population and aproximately 12,000 zip codes out the 43,000 there are in the United States. I am thankful that many do see the value EZBloomers.com brings to the table.

My guess is then that I will not get the courtesy of my concern answered...or should I assume that your company is in the position that the facts and figures presented are correct and factual??

Either way I would like to know...a video was posted asking for comments, I commented and now my one concern has gone unanswered..I got all kinds of info about your biz, I got all kinds of info about other bizes, I schooled in subjects that I already know about, yet no information or even a passing comment about the fact that not all the percentages taken out of the arrangements are actually taken out of the arrangements...

I am asking this last time to please acknowledge this question, if I get no response, I will have no other choice than to make my assumptions...I gave you the courtesy of a response when what you believed about what I was say was untrue, now I expect the same courtesy...if its a marketing ploy, just be honest especially if that is the one your going with, no reason to hide it if you feel so strongly about your message and its validity...maybe then I will see your BIG picture....Thanks in advance.

...if its a marketing ploy, just be honest especially if that is the one your going with, no reason to hide it if you feel so strongly about your message and its validity...maybe then I will see your BIG picture....Thanks in advance.

It was not designed or intended to be a ploy. I stand by our numbers they are based on the total amount including service fees paid when placing an order. We strongly believe an informed consumer directly benefit florists & consumers alike.

We’ve discovered via informal surveys that customers react
1st by making sure they don't pay a service fee,
2nd making sure they always know who the florist really is.
Again both are good for the florist and the consumer.

Under no circumstance did the information cause customers to decide not to continue buying flowers or to blame the florist. To the contrary they felt empowered by the information, which allows them to make a choice on more than just lowest advertised price.

Those who had experienced product filled at less than full value, gained better understand of how and why this occasionally happens and with it a greater appreciation of the challenges faced by all florists.

The bottom line is in an industry where the most notable names are being called before congress and where the consumer is clearly paying fees that do not apply to their flowers, and where the possibility exist that their order may not be filled to value. Providing the customer with an understanding of the process is the most positive action the industry can take. Rather than drive them away it will bring those who have left back.

Reactions: lori042499