What’s Behind the Curtain?

I agree about educating the consumer. I don't see the point in hiding the facts about the big wire service companies. I also don't think it's a good bet that most florists "fill to value". If this was true than there wouldn't be sooooo many complaints against these companies. We've all hears consumers numerous stories (and read the reviews) about how they ordered one thing but then what got delivered was smaller and less than what they thought they paid for.

Still, I just don't see the point in adding another company to the mix because one of the biggest problems with wiring flowers is that you don't know what the filling florist has available in their cooler. Therefore, in my mind, it makes no sense to sell something that you are not sure you can deliver. It is much more likely that someone will get a good product by ordering directly through the filling shop. So, basically I don't see the value. The reason wiring flowers used to be neccessary is that no one had credit cards. They couldn't call a florist in another town and order flowers. They would go into a local florist, pay cash, and the florist would send something out of town. This is still a necessary service today for those people who don't use credit cards. On the internet, where people are using their credit card anyway, what value is it to them to use your service rather than ordering directly through the florist?

Reactions: Sprout
Thank you very much for the answer to my question. I am also glad that you gave me some of the statistics from your research, I appreciate to know that you did some research on the ad and that it wasn't seen as a negative in the eyes of the people viewing it...I am glad to know that my concern is not as warranted as I thought...

...what value is it to them to use your service rather than ordering directly through the florist?

Keep in mind that we are targeting the very same people who currently buy from OGs not those who buy directly from the florist.

Having said that,
We bring the following value to the consumer:
1. Our customers rate each florist weeding out those who don't measure up.
2. They pay no service fee so they pay less.
3. The amount they pay goes directly to the florist so unless it's a bad florist they will always get full value.
4. They get customer service directly from the florist.
5. One central site they can trust for all their flower needs across the country.

Florist benefit becuse you:
1. Get orders at 100% - no commission or clearing fees.
2. Control cash flow - we give you customer info. including C.C.
3. Have a say on which products & their pricing are listed on our website.
4. Pay no membership dues or fees of any kind.
5. Can send order directly to other member florists.
6. Pay only $5.50 per order.
Again Keep in mind we are targeting the very same people who currently buy from OGs not those who buy directly from the florist.

Because our service does not interfere with the transaction or the value of the order, we view ourselves as a catalyst in support of florists and not middlemen who affect the entire process.

I signed up with EZ bloomers in November. I have gotten three orders (honestly more than I though I would get as they are just getting started). So far I have been pleased. They give you both the sender and recipient's info. You do have some more work than with the WS as you have to run their credit card (and verify it is good) yourself. I had one customer who had put the wrong delivery address and he actually called me to fix it and then he actually added another arrangement to his order. I do some Google Ad words and have to compete in my area against OG and now with Kimba for the same orders and I might loose some direct orders to him, but I figure he will still funnel some orders away from the OG's and since I will still get more money in the end out of the orders that don't make it to the OG's AND I get the sender's info to market to them from him I don't mind too much. In a perfect world I would be the only one with Google ads in my area, but that isn't reality. I am going to compete against online companies, the more ads that will ultimately get me more money in my pocket is good for my business so I plan to support EZ Bloomers as long as they keep up to their word. When I have a substitution question I called the customer directly not gone through someone at hq who says its ok without checking with the real customer who it may be important to. I have met Kimba personally as he lives in my hometown. I do believe he is sincere in his hope to help us. I wish him best of luck. It would be nice to see change. Wouldn't it be nice to see companies compete by advertising they have the lowest fee so they are the ones you should order from? I doubt it will happen, but who knows. Of course we all know the lowest fees are direct where there are none, but I think we will get there eventually. I agree I don't like negative advertising--I understood what TF was doing with the talking flowers, but didn't like the message--but I found these ads more informative than negative. I would like to see something about a very small nominal fee rather than outrageous percentages and fees or something like that because I agree that you shouldn't bad mouth inbedded fees and then say you have none when you do (I understand it is less, but still a fee).

David, I haven't received any orders either, and I was one of the very first to sign up, and we cover a wide delivery area.

I'm pleased to hear that someone has received orders.

Knowing that the forces behind EZBloomers have been in the industry forever and are most definately on the side of the florist made it easy for us to sign up.

I do find the ads a bit wordy, and wonder if another approach might work better for now. That would be to just become another option for the consumer, along with the OG's and WS's. A little later you can educate the consumers you have reached with monthly informational email blast, after they have had positive experiences with EZB.

The simplistic view would be that we all would band together and send one another 100% valued orders. With more and more shops leaving the WS's, this kind of approach could be doable. Independent Florist Assoc. sort of thing. That name is taken, but the name EZB to me sounds like an individual shop, not a way for consumers to send flowers. Perhaps that is part of the problem, name/service offered recognition?

We hope success for EZB!

Just my few thoughts.

Reactions: bootcampguy
David, I haven't received any orders either, and I was one of the very first to sign up, and we cover a wide delivery area.

I'm pleased to hear that someone has received orders.

Knowing that the forces behind EZBloomers have been in the industry forever and are most definately on the side of the florist made it easy for us to sign up.

I do find the ads a bit wordy, and wonder if another approach might work better for now. That would be to just become another option for the consumer, along with the OG's and WS's. A little later you can educate the consumers you have reached with monthly informational email blast, after they have had positive experiences with EZB.

The simplistic view would be that we all would band together and send one another 100% valued orders. With more and more shops leaving the WS's, this kind of approach could be doable. Independent Florist Assoc. sort of thing. That name is taken, but the name EZB to me sounds like an individual shop, not a way for consumers to send flowers. Perhaps that is part of the problem, name/service offered recognition?

We hope success for EZB!

Just my few thoughts.

What is EZBloomers

i don't see how you can compete with OGs considering that Adwords in my town regularly runs $5.00 per click, and hits $10-$15 during the holidays. Unless you have another revenue stream.

That being said, we don't need another "one stop shop you can trust for flowers nationwide." My customers already have that.

...That being said, we don't need another "one stop shop you can trust for flowers nationwide." My customers already have that.

Sure lets just wait for the OGs to go out of business or better yet, lets wait until they get a conscience and self correct the problem, or maybe we can all wait for florists to unite and stand up for themselves. I got an idea, how about supporting those of us who are working on behalf of the florist and consumer to improve the situation?

I think my open letter to Florists Review published in the March 2011 issue says it all.

Attachments

• Kimba Letter to FR_March 2011.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
I have been following this thread. I am NOT a busines owner, let's make sure that is understood from the start.

I am going to ask some rather pointed, direct questions....and the directness of the answers will tell me a lot. A typical middleman will try to shroud and hide direct yes or no answers in a pile of fluff. So, let's see what we get here.

1) Who pays the 5.50 fee......the filling florist, ezbloomers, or the sending florist?
2) Who gets the 5.50 fee......the filling florist, ezbloomers, or the sending florist?

3) Assuming the filling florist pays the fee, Is the fee deducted from the total amount of monies being sent to fill the requested order?
4) Assuming it is the sending florist, Is that fee automatically added on to the amount going to the filling florist?

5) If I, the FILLING florist, have all the billing and creditcard info, and it runs through my POS, and the card comes out declined........so no valid order, assuming that I, the filling florist paid the 5.50, do I get that money back?

6) Who created the arrangements used in your selection guides......member florists, commisioned designers, CGI artists, AIFD members, or whom?

Lastly, the existing wire service model is set up to favor the sender, not the filler. So, how is yours different? or is it?

Reactions: Simon Says
I have a question for Ezbloomers also regarding your website and imagery - images being a current "hot topic" on a different thread in Wire Services in this forum.

What does your website term "Images are examples only, your item is Made to Order" - your emphasis - as you, Ezbloomers, intend it to mean and, based upon experience with consumers, their understanding as to what the term means and, finally, based upon experience with florists in your network, their understanding. And, please note, I have seen the "Made to Order Options" and drop-down tabs located immediately below the inquired about term.

I look forward to your reply.

I have a question for Ezbloomers also regarding your website and imagery - images being a current "hot topic" on a different thread in Wire Services in this forum.

What does your website term "Images are examples only, your item is Made to Order" - your emphasis - as you, Ezbloomers, intend it to mean and, based upon experience with consumers, their understanding as to what the term means and, finally, based upon experience with florists in your network, their understanding. And, please note, I have seen the "Made to Order Options" and drop-down tabs located immediately below the inquired about term.

I look forward to your reply.

Footnote from Simon Says: I should have also added the question as to why so many of your image descriptions to the right of the picture, certainly in Contemporary but also throughout are 23"h x 12"w x 11"d when it seems strange for, as an example, $54, Precious Pinks, EZ3101 arranged in a bubble bowl to be that size. I suspect some-one needs to proof-read all your recipes and make corrections.

These and many other questions are addressed in our Florist FAQ page.
1) Who pays the 5.50 fee......the filling florist, ezbloomers, or the sending florist? Filling
2) Who gets the 5.50 fee......the filling florist, ezbloomers, or the sending florist? EZBloomers
3) Assuming the filling florist pays the fee, Is the fee deducted from the total amount of monies being sent to fill the requested order? No
4) Assuming it is the sending florist, Is that fee automatically added on to the amount going to the filling florist? N/A
5) If I, the FILLING florist, have all the billing and creditcard info, and it runs through my POS, and the card comes out declined........so no valid order, assuming that I, the filling florist paid the 5.50, do I get that money back? Yes
6) Who created the arrangements used in your selection guides......member florists, commisioned designers, CGI artists, AIFD members, or whom? Yes to all except CGI artists
Lastly, the existing wire service model is set up to favor the sender, not the filler. So, how is yours different? or is it? Always the filler they gets 100% everytime. Consumer orders have no sender. EZBloomers.com is a web service for buying fee free flowers online; we match the customers flower needs with the most qualified local florists across the country.

Reactions: anytimeflowers

What does your website term "Images are examples only, your item is Made to Order" - your emphasis - as you, Ezbloomers, intend it to mean <rather than a cookie cutter they should expect the florists' best work>
and, based upon experience with consumers, their understanding as to what the term means <Some get it , some don't - those who do love it>
and, finally, based upon experience with florists in your network, their understanding. <Like the consumers, some get it , some don't - those who do love it>
One of the worst things the OGs did was to commoditize the industry - in the process reducing the significance
of the florist's creativity.

Reactions: Sabrinas
Footnote from Simon Says: I should have also added the question as to why so many of your image descriptions to the right of the picture, certainly in Contemporary but also throughout are 23"h x 12"w x 11"d when it seems strange for, as an example, $54, Precious Pinks, EZ3101 arranged in a bubble bowl to be that size. I suspect some-one needs to proof-read all your recipes and make corrections.
The sizes will be removed from the images - the expectation is the florist will decide. The text is not intended to be a recipe rather a list of what is contained in the image for both the consumer and the florist.

Kimba of Ezbloonmers, thank you for your reply.

Forgive but, in this Internet based world full of on-line imagery, I am a little lost with your explanation - clearly, I am a florist that doesn't get it as to what "Images are examples on, your item is Made to Order" does mean.

Can you specifically advise if the phrase means a customer will receive an arrangement styled in a fashion and color that they choose from the drop-down selection - style and general color concept - and that the specific flora and vessel designed in is not stipulated and that your dimensions are irrelevant. I think that you do mean this but seek this clarification.

Looking forward to the clarification.

Can you specifically advise if the phrase means a customer will receive an arrangement styled in a fashion and color that they choose from the drop-down selection - style and general color concept - and that the specific flora and vessel designed in is not stipulated and that your dimensions are irrelevant. I think that you do mean this but seek this clarification.
Arrangement dimensions are relevent and left up to the expertise of the florist based on the amount paid and the consumer's requirements. This is why we will remove them - to not confuse the consumer.

The consumer has the ability to select: Style, Color, Occasion, and Recipient Relationship, they also get to enter comments/requests/instructions for each item ordered. If the consumer does not enter any of these items it defaults to the florist replicating the image if possible, no garuantees are made to the consumer.

Lastly, since the florist has the consumer contact info. it is expected they will contact the customer if necessary.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Arrangement dimensions are relevent and left up to the expertise of the florist based on the amount paid and the consumer's requirements. This is why we will remove them - to not confuse the consumer.

The consumer has the ability to select: Style, Color, Occasion, and Recipient Relationship, they also get to enter comments/requests/instructions for each item ordered. If the consumer does not enter any of these items it defaults to the florist replicating the image if possible, no garuantees are made to the consumer.

Lastly, since the florist has the consumer contact info. it is expected they will contact the customer if necessary.

Thank you for your reply. I am, however, confused by the first paragraph wherein you comment about dimensions
. I would appreciate a clarification.