Will work for $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the design was lovely given what you were asked to work with.

However, the throwing around of the w word in this thread really bothers me. I'm a just a prude I guess. I find the word and the fact that being one is so acceptable truly offensive. Maybe I should have lurked this one, but couldn't help posting my two cents. I will do just about anything for a customer but would never claim that label.
from Wiktionary
one who compromises their principles for gain.
this was the gist of it.

:redface2: I'm sorry Renee .... sometimes my humor tests the limits of this place, and I didn't mean to offend. It truly was meant as a joke, though jokes sometimes do offend.

Guess you're not joining the FW club ... :eek:face

thanks for the compliment anyway!

Reactions: 4 people
Guess you're not joining the FW club ...

Guess not - LOL since I don't know what it is...

My apology's as well..I forget also that your youngins read here...I have been listening to too much rap music I guess...no offense intended
Sher

My youngins play some in the arcade, mostly in the Summer, but they don't read the threads. Although one of them has learned the art of posting visitor messages on profiles :)

IIRC you used the term ho, which doesn't really bother me.

My main concern is I'm not really sure what parts of the forum are public vs. private. It's no big deal ~ Personally, I cuss like a sailor, but rarely on line. Never know who is watching.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe lack of sleep, but I don't get what the deal is, because you painted the calla? Is that the reason? Those are colors are in all over the place, if anything I would have worried about the queen anne lace, but that is I< They are nice form and color, so I really must be tired to see, the post issue here,

Guess not - LOL since I don't know what it is...

My youngins play some in the arcade, mostly in the Summer, but they don't read the threads. Although one of them has learned the art of posting visitor messages on profiles :)

IIRC you used the term ho, which doesn't really bother me.

My main concern is I'm not really sure what parts of the forum are public vs. private. It's no big deal ~ Personally, I cuss like a sailor, but rarely on line. Never know who is watching.

Well what I did hear is that you dance like a maniac.....would you care to share.....lol....actually I have heard other stuff but I have taken a blood promise that I must take them to my death....
Just kidding but got cha!
Sher

Guilty :redface2: probably on all counts!

Don't think you can call it prostitution! It is called "Customer Service!"

Never thnk twice...sell it.

I thought the design was lovely given what you were asked to work with.

However, the throwing around of the w word in this thread really bothers me. I'm a just a prude I guess. I find the word and the fact that being one is so acceptable truly offensive. Maybe I should have lurked this one, but couldn't help posting my two cents. I will do just about anything for a customer but would never claim that label.

Maybe lack of sleep, but I don't get what the deal is, because you painted the calla? Is that the reason? Those are colors are in all over the place, if anything I would have worried about the queen anne lace, but that is I< They are nice form and color, so I really must be tired to see, the post issue here,

It's called staying in business.

I was going to lurk this one too because I know that you are all having fun with this, but I don't care for the whore florist term either. Please don't apologize because it isn't necessary or desired.

Um, yes, because I was asked to paint the calla purple, to do something I don't like to, to do something I didn't think would be nicest, to something a lot of florists scoff at. But I did it! Because it pays the bills, because it's my job, because it was what she really really wanted. And I made it look good, better than many many many spray painted flowers I've seen, and better than I had imagined it could look.

The whole point of the post is that I did what my customer wanted, despite my better judgement, and thought my flower friends would have a chuckle and possibly see that they could do the same and survive. :)

And FWIW, we use QA lace very frequently in wedding work, and have never had any issues. Maybe we've got the special touch ;)

Reactions: 2 people
Um, yes, because I was asked to paint the calla purple, to do something I don't like to, to do something I didn't think would be nicest, to something a lot of florists scoff at. But I did it! Because it pays the bills, because it's my job, because it was what she really really wanted. And I made it look good, better than many many many spray painted flowers I've seen, and better than I had imagined it could look.

The whole point of the post is that I did what my customer wanted, despite my better judgement, and thought my flower friends would have a chuckle and possibly see that they could do the same and survive. :)

And FWIW, we use QA lace very frequently in wedding work, and have never had any issues. Maybe we've got the special touch ;)

Sorry, 72 hours with out sleep does weird things to the body, Sorry I didn't mean to offend by asking the question to you, and one thing at least you did it and it was not icky and you can admit you did this, Some shops do this half arsed and lie and say that is real or what ever it goes with, But now I do understand what you were saying, thought so, but hey its all good,

PS, just and FYI, make sure you have it in your contract you are not responsiable for bleeding on dress or that of allergic reactions that can happen with paint,,,and make sure you have them sign this disclaimer that they have been told and such, and have you as well as a witness sign this as well,,,,,Some day when I have a moment I will post the reason behind all of this, that happenedto another shop,,,

We had one of our wholesalers try to pass of painted callas for hot pink, we made him take them back, what a rip, we can do that ourselves if we have to. We have on occasion tinted white to a soft green, looked pretty good too. Pretty stressful, not knowing if they will hold, turn black or what, the brides have no clue what they put us through.

Trish

Trac, this is what makes you a business owner! We all want our designs to be the most over the top beautiful creations that it makes everyone who sees them weep at the magnificence but that is just not going to pay the bills!

We are here to fulfill another's dream. Whether its a wedding or stupid smiley face mum, without the customers, you will be making arrangements for yourself.

I went to the TF education center a few years ago and the person teaching the class was sitting at a table with me and a few others. We got on the subject of painting flowers for prom corsages. The person teaching the class said that he/she would NEVER paint flowers. Now I really respect the instructor but as a business owner, I completely disagree. We are here to make the customer happy with what THEY like. Not what we like.

If it makes you feel any better, I did an all babys breath bouquet yes, handtied! The bride went ape46!t over it!

Reactions: 1 person
We did the painted roses for dance this last time, those were the only ones we had complaints about, we have changed our policy, not because we are too good for that, simply because they are unhappy with the results. Don't need to lose money and add stress over something so silly. If we have too much trouble with the results, they will have to go to someone else to have it done.

Trish

I will paint a flower IF it will hold the paint well. Roses (in my experience) do NOT, therefore. We tell our customers, we highly recommend AGAINST it. We explain to them that they don't hold the color well and they also tend to kill the rose faster than normal. I have NEVER had a customer insist on me painting a rose after that speech. For prom we tell them, roses can't be painted and help them choose something else for that color they want in their corsage, like ribbon or accent flower, or bling.

Well that is the post of the day! My eyeballs poped out - I was truly impressed at how well those suckers were painted and on my screen they read purple....WAY purple!

Some brides carry all of their taste in their mouths - I would rather think of this one as the crayola bride as yes, I have seen worse.

Anyone see those beer can and barbed wire roses? - Bad :p

Oh, what we do in the name of paying the bills.

Not my favorite, but I did my best. I submit evidence of my floral whoredom below. It really is what the bride wanted, and she loved loved loved this - her bouquet.
DSC_0028-14.JPG

OMG, they're like giant purple people eaters.

On a sidenote - picasa3 has a new watermark option, AND a re-touch option. Love it.
my eyes hurt .... but kudos to you for pleasing the bride!!! my question is how do you hide your true feelings when discussing this bouquet with the bride? my facial response is always a dead giveaway....

my eyes hurt .... but kudos to you for pleasing the bride!!! my question is how do you hide your true feelings when discussing this bouquet with the bride? my facial response is always a dead giveaway....
The same way I can take an order for an all pink floor basket for a man's funeral. I'm pretty good at being diplomatic with customers, and I certainly make suggestions about what might be better in my mind. Ultimately it's their decision, so I try to make the feel good about their purchase, even if I don't agree with it. :)

The same way I can take an order for an all pink floor basket for a man's funeral. I'm pretty good at being diplomatic with customers, and I certainly make suggestions about what might be better in my mind. Ultimately it's their decision, so I try to make the feel good about their purchase, even if I don't agree with it. :)

Where do you draw the line between a) an order that you don't like but accept and b) an order that you believe is inappropriate and refuse? What criteria do you use to distinguish the two?

This problem sometimes comes up with funeral orders, especially wire-in orders. We've got several wire-in orders in which the customers wanted to send funeral sprays to the families' homes here.

We always ask the senders (OGs) to contact their customers, tell them that it's not a good idea to send a spary to a home, and ask them to change the orders to something else.

In every case, the OGs insist that's what the customer ordered, so we should just fill it. At that point, we reject the order.

How would you or anyone else handle this or similar situation?

Well welcome then! I think we need a secret handshake, and maybe a uniform toolbelt that requires spray paint, glitter spray, ting ting, lace ribbon ......

My tool belt is already loaded with the required items and I'm with ya on the c999 of wine!! Count me in the group... it's not what we like but what they want and they are paying!! :)

Iggy

Status
Not open for further replies.