would you hire this designer??

ok my very first thought is: HOW MUCH ARE YOU CHARGING FOR THIS ARRANGEMENT? That would be my very first concern at this point, is she staying in the right price range? She definitely likes to mix up the colors. If your customers like this look, than fine. If you are happy with it, than fine. Looks like she is having fun with the flowers!

that is ABSOLUTELY the "right" question...we gave her $300.00 to work with....opinions please......

Reactions: FANCIES
I guess you hired her then.
yes that one is Ok..

she wouldn't start until september, when her family settles in......no, have not hired her as of yet.....

that is ABSOLUTELY the "right" question...we gave her $300.00 to work with....opinions please......

I come up with about $250.00 at my prices although I have not had a king protea for years so don't know the price on it. If she's planning on opening her own shop, I would start talking about selling out to her. She clearly has an eye for form and would be competition, and I would not want to train my competition.

If you are comfortable with her and it seems she likes you than I say, Yes hire her. I didn't add up the arrangement but I am sure she is within your $300.00. So good call on her part. Looks like you will have a new, nice, and yes, tallented, florist working with you this fall! If you decide to hire her then, CONGRATS TO YOU! Keep us posted.

Yes i would hire her.
and I think your customer will be happy with it for 300 dollars.

Mikey,

I think that she has potential...She is still definately better than many seasoned designers...Color harmony is easily taught, design skill not...She does have good basic design skills with some patience and starting out small and easy, you could have a gem there especially if her personality is great...

Sandy you are so right, those of us with small shops tend to be control freaks. We are very very persnickety and fussy about the qulity of wrok that goes out...I have worked in many shops over my 25 year in the biz, many of the high output shops had a good enough approach to design...it had to look good enough to go out for the masses...most of the designs were rudimentary and recipe driven and I could make them in my sleep and make them super duper fast, usually I would place the main flowers and give the "run" form and function, then a lesser paid intern type would follow along and fill in, then I would pick up the slack and make minor adjustments as we finished up the "run"...we would constantly make runs of 10 like arrangements at a time to stock the cooler...I was OK with this job,but it was just that a job a grind...all day everyday was time to make the arrangements, I was one of 3 "designers" who were the goto people for customers that wanted something different..To consult on a picky customers order..To be sent out on an install because we were just better at it...We got to make all the 75.00 and up designs and the super creative stuff...every high volume shops needs to have each just like evey rest needs a chef and many many cooks, a cook can follow a recipe a chef creates it...same as us a designer creates the recipe and the form and the underlings fill it in...

I have always said that the true value of a designer is to give them a challenging cooler with limits and have them make something you will find where their true talents lie...color may be off but if they choose the right style of design for what they have to make it with you have a person who can think and use deductive reasoning...I am at my very best at the end of the day when all other deisgners think you have nothing to work with, I can usually get 4-5 saleable designs out of what others deam as nothing to work with, that makes me a more valuable employee to high volume places because I am the designer who can work magic out of the bottom of the barrel and make you money, I would never eneter they designs made in this way into a contest nor would these designs go out to my finicky customers, but they would go out to most others....

This designer will make you money..no doubt about it...I have seen worse designers open a shop never improve and keep customers, not all designers are of the same calibre...and some of us of a higher calibre of most have standards that are so hign that few could make us happy..I am one of those, I have such high standards I barely meet them some days, I had a very hard time when I started managing guaging what I could realistically expect from regular people in terms of work output and quality....I had to remember constantly that not everyone was going to be perfect and I had to pick and choose my battle wisely...I did teach and when correcting did have patience and told as why and how come in hope of bettering the person and I would track how much better they got through my suggestions...and how long it took simply so I could for myself see how the average person learns and to be able to realistically know when someone was a lost cause...otherwise I would never be able to work with people or hire anyone, noone would ever want to work with me if I held them to the same standards I hole myself to...I am awful to myself, I am my own worst enemy and hard on myself to the pont that somedays I would quit if I wasn't attached to me...I saw that early on as a problem...

Mikey, when we interview people we need to interview on all the same levels our business travels...There is merit on hiring someone with design potential that has a great sales way or wonderful personality...Rememebr we sell service first and flowers second...so while the design is up there in the list it is not #1, the quality of our personell and how people view them is #1 they need to trust and be able to work with someone way before they design something for them...

Mikey, I think she has designed a lovely spray and I know your flowers prices over there tend to be cheaper than ours but I think the spray looks stylish and well worth the money. I would be happy if I had paid that. I am prosumming your clients aren't as prejudiced as in the passed. I also think having a florist who designs in a different way to your other designers can add a new and interesting dimension to your offerings that may just appeal to younger customers looking for something abit more unusual. And they can always learn some of her ideas to enhance their own designs. Just because she may not have as much experience as some, doesn't mean she hasn't got anything to offer.

Mikey, I think she has designed a lovely spray and I know your flowers prices over there tend to be cheaper than ours but I think the spray looks stylish and well worth the money. I would be happy if I had paid that. I am prosumming your clients aren't as prejudiced as in the passed. I also think having a florist who designs in a different way to your other designers can add a new and interesting dimension to your offerings that may just appeal to younger customers looking for something abit more unusual. And they can always learn some of her ideas to enhance their own designs. Just because she may not have as much experience as some, doesn't mean she hasn't got anything to offer.

Amen to that sister!

When I was at Aprils we had a bunch of newbie designers. They would look at product in a totally different way than I would and I TOTALLY drew inspiration from those girls. Especially the girls under 30 that NEVER worked in a shop before. They were always impressing me with thier creativness. And I totally adopted some of the things I'd see them do. Thinking you know it all and also thinking that anyone working under you has nothing to offer and also think that there is only one correct way of floral design is bogus. I could go on but you guys get my drift.
I was young and inexperienced once too.

she did this for the same client as before, for a different recipient.....

Amen to that sister!

When I was at Aprils we had a bunch of newbie designers. They would look at product in a totally different way than I would and I TOTALLY drew inspiration from those girls. Especially the girls under 30 that NEVER worked in a shop before. They were always impressing me with thier creativness. And I totally adopted some of the things I'd see them do. Thinking you know it all and also thinking that anyone working under you has nothing to offer and also think that there is only one correct way of floral design is bogus. I could go on but you guys get my drift.
I was young and inexperienced once too.

have you "noticed" how the tone of this thread had "changed"........and YES, we ARE guilty of using our hearts when looking at staff...IF they "warm" OUR HARD old hearts, they MAY just do the same for everyone else...(I hope).....

Thanks Johan......it's important to "look past" the immediate gut reaction we get, when "comparing" our own work to the "visualization" of others in our industry.

Reactions: Johan
have you "noticed" how the tone of this thread had "changed"........and YES, we ARE guilty of using our hearts when looking at staff...IF they "warm" OUR HARD old hearts, they MAY just do the same for everyone else...(I hope).....

Yes, but also- the info you gave changed. You and your blasted trickery Mikey!

I still totally stand behind what I said- everytime.

From the first pic (just from seeing the first pic)- If this was a newbie designer I said very clearly- with some direction- this could be a good designer.
I'd like to point out that I was right- ha!

Now from the first pic- If that designer had been designing since the 80's and that was the best they could do- And they were untrainable- nope wouldn't hire them.
I think a lot of designers don't want to learn anything from ANYBODY younger than them. I've seen it a lot throughout my career.

But from the second pic you can clearly see she has talent.
But I still say the first arrangement was gawd awful.

From the first pic (just from seeing the first pic)- If this was a newbie designer I said very clearly- with some direction- this could be a good designer.

Now from the first pic- If that designer had been designing since the 80's and that was the best they could do- And they were untrainable- nope wouldn't hire them.
I think a lot of designers don't want to learn anything from ANYBODY younger than them. I've seen it a lot throughout my career.

Mikey LOVES Shannon.....'cause Mikey KNOWS that she'll come through, and the WHOLE reason for this thread, is that I first " thought " that this gal has a "dark side", but, because of the frantic rush, AND after the fact, I realized I had "tasked" her to something for which EVEN WE would scratch our heads for....
Shannon, I WAS NOT "singling" you out...honestly, and don't even think that...it's just that ALL of us are "guilty" of the same behavioral expectations.....it's moot to discuss why this is the case, but, I TOO had my doubts, and now our heads are clear, just like yours.....
I was trying to "determine" if the "Ricky King" syndrome was at work here...you know, "you're almost, OR LIKELY better skilled, than the people you work for/try out for".....

Mikey, I ment regarding clients prejudices from 20 years ago, not recently. You said they could be prickly towards her. I thought her first design wasn't aweful to say she hadn't designed for years and your cooler was bare. I must admit I don't design to rules. I know all the rules so I just go with the flow of the design and flowers and if I don't use conventional colour combo's or odd number's I don't worry. If the design is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, who are we to say what is right or wrong. And lets face it Joe Public haven't got a clue about design rules unless they are in some sort of design based job. And yes men do love red and yellow together and so does nature.
Let's face in floristry is much more fun when your adventurous.

Mikey, I ment regarding clients prejudices from 20 years ago, not recently. You said they could be prickly towards her. I thought her first design wasn't aweful to say she hadn't designed for years and your cooler was bare. I must admit I don't design to rules. I know all the rules so I just go with the flow of the design and flowers and if I don't use conventional colour combo's or odd number's I don't worry. If the design is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, who are we to say what is right or wrong. And lets face it Joe Public haven't got a clue about design rules unless they are in some sort of design based job. And yes men do love red and yellow together and so does nature.
Let's face in floristry is much more fun when your adventurous.
and Johan, THAT is why your input, was SO VERY important to this thread.....:)

Reactions: Johan

there IS no "right" or wrong....and I wasn't clever enough to "disguise" the information...I laid it all out....AND I pointed out that a WOMAN, in charge of thousands of dollars a year in work, ABSOLUTELY LOVED the first piece, so, in context, I'm pretty sure that WE, as designers, AND owners, ARE INDEED our own worst critics, AND naysayers....