would you hire this designer??

I have seen worse from people who think they are veteran designers...I would definately hire for store work and teach the design and revisit from time to time...I would need more help with cleaning, putting away, occasional delivery and phones anywho...so personality and people skills would be more my concern than actual design....pretty good though, what gives what family member of yours made this arrangement?

I have seen worse from people who think they are veteran designers...I would definately hire for store work and teach the design and revisit from time to time...I would need more help with cleaning, putting away, occasional delivery and phones anywho...so personality and people skills would be more my concern than actual design....pretty good though, what gives what family member of yours made this arrangement?

she used to work for us back in the 80's then moved away, and is now back in town.....

I hesitate to answer because I really don't like the arrangement at all. I've been looking at it trying to decide what I don't care for. My first thought is this: The person who made this arrangement must have liked it and thought it was good. The enclosure card in it tells me she must be working as a florist somewhere. If this person thinks this arrangement is good she may be hard to work with because she might & probably would be offended if you told her what you wanted her to change. I have hired florists who "knew it all"! Very hard people to work with. They take offense very easy and when you are not looking they will send out what they want anyway. I do not like the color combination or the choice of flowers in the arrangement. I do not think it is in good taste. I know people can be taught how to do flowers, but in my experience the best designers either have it naturally or they don't. To me, this person, UNLESS they are will to be taught on what you want, does not have it. I would proceed with caution:)

Usually when someone has natural design skill, she will get certain aspects of the design right. For example, the shape and style of the arrangement might be good, but the colors are off. Or, the colors are great but the flower size and placement is a mess. I suppose the overall shape of the arrangement is okay, but the colors are horrible. The combination of lily, birds, orchids, and fern is not good at all. Unless you have a lot of time to work with her, I don't think I would hire her as a designer. Did she work as a designer before? Has she been doing design work at another shop? If that's the case I wouldn't hire her at all... it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

But, if you really like her she might be a good addition for customer service or prep/clean work.

Has she been a designer the whole time?
she's been out of it for over 20 years, and dropped by, and I asked if she could do a funeral design for a "family" member, and then made "inquiries" if we would "consider" having her back.....

she's been out of it for over 20 years, and dropped by, and asked if she could do a funeral design for a family member, and then made "inquiries" if we would "consider" having her back.....

How long did she work for you before Mikey? I mean if she had only been counter help before and that was her design skill level...then OK, But If she had been a designer for a few years and made that- I'd say no IF you were hiring her as a designer only.

When you said the designer was a "novice" I was thinking a true novice- non professional.
I mean seriously- it's an ugly ass arrangement. The flower combo absolutely sucks, the color combo REALLY sucks, but with some tweaking with some one who is new to the industry and hasen't been poisoned by dillusions of granduer, they might have a chance. If this woman thinks she's good- then no.

How about have for temp help for Mother's day with no promises of the future? Just tell her you are good on your everyday staff right now. See how she does, if bad then after Mother's day let her walk away, if good maybe bring her in part time and see if she gets better.

Sending out inferior quality at holidays is almost worse than sending out inferior quality on regular days.
Theres tons of people who only buy on Valentines day and Mother's day. We send out crappy design then- we lose another customer from our whole industry.

Nope, sorry, I would not.

I think there is another bird even higher and would be interested to see which way it is turned but I still would say no. The elements are there for focal, line, and shape. I would feel very comfortable with this person doing recipe designs.

The absence of color and flower harmony is what is bothering me about this piece, and that just isn't something that I have ever been able to teach.

I hesitate to answer because I really don't like the arrangement at all. I've been looking at it trying to decide what I don't care for. My first thought is this: The person who made this arrangement must have liked it and thought it was good. The enclosure card in it tells me she must be working as a florist somewhere. If this person thinks this arrangement is good she may be hard to work with because she might & probably would be offended if you told her what you wanted her to change. I have hired florists who "knew it all"! Very hard people to work with. They take offense very easy and when you are not looking they will send out what they want anyway. I do not like the color combination or the choice of flowers in the arrangement. I do not think it is in good taste. I know people can be taught how to do flowers, but in my experience the best designers either have it naturally or they don't. To me, this person, UNLESS they are will to be taught on what you want, does not have it. I would proceed with caution:)

I found the background and table cloth to be really distracting. Perhaps that's what detracted from the design from a visual point of view.

Honestly, it looks very dated to me (eliminating the gobbledegook background).

V

I asked this question for all your input, and am pleased with the foreplay, and remarks regarding the design,presentation,photography, placement, and the credentials of the designer.
This was done late on a Saturday, with completely depleted coolers...customer called at closing, needed a piece done for the funeral home visitation, which had already begun,Sandie & gals was busy with a 51 table party work for Sunday, and "ex-designer" kinda popped in just to say hi, and reminisce......
So I looked at her an said "you wanna try your hand at this again??".......
And here is where the florist industry is showing some of it's true colours.......in this thread..every one of you has been correct, every one of you was careful NOT to firebomb this "potential designer", and I really appreciated it, but, NOT being sure about the "perception" of this sympathy arrangement to you guys, and honouring the sending company's request for a photo(s) of the finished product, I did both...posted it here, and sent it there........and the company president AND his secretary(that orders "thousands of dollars a year in floral gifts") were THRILLED with it, and have switched their account to us here.
This is a multi,multi million dollar company, who's president AND secretary were tired of the "hoity-toity" designs of other shops they've tried......I'm not really sure how to "apply" "hoity toity" in this sentence, so, now I'm really confused...and I TOO, was a little "uncomfortable" with the outcome......
So NOW, I begin to "question" the legitimacy of what has been pounded into our brains for the last hundred years or so......
And, again, with everything that you've shared, would you truly NOT hire this designer (maybe a lucky charm??)

I looked at this design..........as close as I could from the pictures.......and I see a BASIC understanding of Principles and Elements. The background is distracting and the color harmony shown does not appear to be a pleasing color harmony........at least as shown by the camera. REMEMBER, the camera does not see as we see. Does there appear to be room for improvement......most definitely.

What is needed here is for us as established florists and designers to view with NEW eyes. For me, it is a constant struggle to NOT fall into established patterns, designs and styles that I've always done, to fall into a comfort zone.

Would I hire this designer? IF she shows a willingness to learn, If she shows a desire to grow and to expand her horizons, if she is not content to let good enough be good enough, then Yes, I might would hire this designer.

if she is not content to let good enough be good enough, then Yes, I might would hire this designer.

she is not, hasn't picked up a design knife in over 20 years.....