WS website images & "photoshop"

Simon Says

Apr 1, 2011
Medford
State / Prov
New Jersey
We all know that many of the arrangements in WS images are of all-around arrangements with "everything" for the photograph facing the camera and, therefore, not an accurate depiction of the intended, all-around, design.

But how many of these images are actually use "photoshop" to construct them, alter color and, basically, enhance them beyond reasonable capabilities? If one looks at the FTD site and roses in particular, the same stem clusters appear to be used in multiple different arrangements.

This is a known fact in these parts.

It is very interesting to note that quite a few independents who claim wildly successful websites have clearly "non-photoshopped" images. I think the consumer is getting more and more savvy, and will choose one of these sites over the others simply because they can discern the "realness" in the images.

Reactions: secretgarden
You know I am starting to appreciate more and more of the bad photography of ood designers work on websites...I used to hate it but the more photoshopped and impossibly created stock photos get the more I like to see real photos of shops work, even if the lighting is off, there is junk in the back ground or the curtain is wrinkled...at least I know what work can be created out of a shop...as an award winning designer, I have a harder time making the arrangements as the arrangements get less made on site and more created by digital image...if I can't make it, the 17 yr old kid who has been designing for a couple of years at the shop in TN is going to have an even harder time making something relatively close..the internet sucks!!!

And of course, to the consumer, it is the florist that is to blame if the web image and what are delivered are not close. I wonder what consumers would do if they saw the back-side of the photo-arranged and enhanced arrangements and saw little but foliage and often the under-side or reverse of the leaves.

And of course, to the consumer, it is the florist that is to blame if the web image and what are delivered are not close. I wonder what consumers would do if they saw the back-side of the photo-arranged and enhanced arrangements and saw little but foliage and often the under-side or reverse of the leaves.

That's funny, I was just thinking that last night. Have a video or something of the design rotating so people can see it from all aspects. Can't photoshop that very easily.

Reactions: Tuberose
And when was the last time you had a burger that looked like this? I let people know that the pictures are taken under the best possible conditions. They are to be used as a guide but it will never look exactly like the picture. Our flowers may be different shapes, sizes, and colors. They grow in nature not in a factory, so they have natural flaws.

Attachments

• big mac.jpg
    big mac.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: rosery
I have all my own images on my site. At first I really sucked at the photogarphy but I am gradually getting better. People don't seem to mind though, since many of my older worse pictures are still getting me orders. I had a guy order something on the site for pick up and when he came in he said the picture didn't do it justice. I said, "Yes, I'm a much better designer than photographer." He laughed and left happy. I've learned to photoshop just enough to lighten the backgrounds, but I don't alter the picture otherwise. All I know is, my web site does way better than the one I had with TF and continues to improve. This May I had more web orders the first week than I had the whole month last year. (and last May was my first MD without TF) The web site is an on going process, and a lot of work. Like Lori, I hate the internet for how it has changed our business, but I know it's here to stay so I'm doing the best I can with it.

Love photo"chopped" vases that show 25 flower heads and 6 stems in the vase..... uh doh???

Remember the controversey over the 'FTD Luxury Line' - Roses that had stems of tulips, stems that stuck out the bottom of the vase, among other little things?

I have all my own images on my site.

Great photos, Helen!

Just to let you know, I got an error message when I clicked on any of the photos, and nothing displayed. I'm using firefox.

Helen/Concord:

Looked at your site...like it, and not just your pictures but some of your sales and marketing ideas. As with Blumen, clicking on randomly selectected pictures to enlargen them, got "Server Error in Application"...clicking on the +Cart button and going through that way, the pictures could be enlargened. Using Microsoft Vista.

.......Like Lori, I hate the internet for how it has changed our business, but I know it's here to stay so I'm doing the best I can with it.

During MD I heard my wife yell from the back room, "the internet is now our boss".................

What is being discussed here is a problem in many sectors of retail advertising today. Does anyone really imagine that the models in cosmetic ads have the flawless features that they present, or that the food you are served at a restaurant will look as perfect as the ad?

It's not right, but it is a fact. Particularly in our industry where you are dealing with a product of nature, one where the same variety of rose can look completely different depending on the grower, the wholesaler, farm conditions, shipping, cut point, etc. While the WS's have made an art form of "facing the camera" they are in some ways simply doing what any good florist would do to promote their business, displaying there best looking product.

During MD I heard my wife yell from the back room, "the internet is now our boss".................

lol, your wife has hit the nail on the head!

The reality is that the consumer has never been more empowered as they are today. That in a nutshell is where our industry faces a problem that we need to address, we are still working to a large degree with a model that was developed 100 years ago.

Today's consumer is tuned in, not only do they see what purchase, but with the advent of cameras in cell phones, often they see what is delivered just minutes after the recipient receives it. The policy of "substitution was developed at a time when most consumers were simply happy that flowers could be delivered, period! What was delivered was not so much the concern as in most cases wire orders were sold by price versus specifics.

Just my musing on the subject

What is being discussed here is a problem in many sectors of retail advertising today. While the WS's have made an art form of "facing the camera" they are in some ways simply doing what any good florist would do to promote their business, displaying there best looking product.

Doug, you are way off base on this one.

You are completely right about photographers "dolling" up food for images, I've known a few. They use glue, corn syrup, all sorts of things to get things looking really great for the shot.

The problem is, people don't usually go to Burger King with a picture they printed off of the internet and demand to be served something that looks exactly like that for the price shown.

They do it all the time to florists. ALL THE TIME!

Doug, you are way off base on this one.

You are completely right about photographers "dolling" up food for images, I've known a few. They use glue, corn syrup, all sorts of things to get things looking really great for the shot.

The problem is, people don't usually go to Burger King with a picture they printed off of the internet and demand to be served something that looks exactly like that for the price shown.

They do it all the time to florists. ALL THE TIME!

Agree with you Linda. There is nothing wrong with presenting the best look but, for example, when an arrangement has all flora looking at the camera but the design specs from the WS call for an all around, even making allowances for nature positive and negative, there are images that are shall I say difficult for most to obtain even after painstakingly attempting to replicate the picture AND follow the recipe.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Talking about images and some photos not so good, but REAL. I totally agree with that. As I move my own website along we are putting more of our pictures on the site. They are not that great of photos but people still order off of them. Yesterday a customer called & ordered one of my pics I named So Soothing off of our website. This picture even had an enclosure card in it as it was going out the door! She did an upgrade on it, the sale was $170 plus delivery & tax. People are looking and at least when they see the non prof pictures they know they are real. I love my website! :)

I think that the next person who brings me in a picture and complains that the arrangement doesn''t look exact..I will ask them if their bigmac has ever looked like the marketing photos...I don't think it will go over well...why is it always different for the florist...we always are held to such a higher standard yet evryone thinks they can have that higher standard at bargain basement rates...now if I go to a fancy french restaurant and pay 60.00 or more for my meal, the plate usually comes out perfectly stylized and wonderfully clean and pretty, but I am paying for that detail...the food industry, because people buy food in all stages from raw components to diy, grocery store prepared, fast food to fine dining and they have the opportunity to make these choices and purchases 3 times a day, they are well versed on what their money will buy them in terms of what they want...because people buy flowers 1-2 a year, they think all flowers are the same and don't really equate the process the same way and our lack of a backbone as an industry and the zen to be all things to all people have strengthened this notion...we are way to easy to give out services and talent a haircut and shave of money at the mere mention of so and so can do it cheaper....instead of standing by our prices as a worthy and real concept...You will never see mcdonalds selling porterhouse steak like Morton's, nor will you ever get a hamburger any where near the price of a mcdonalds at a Morton's..We should be selling our products the same way...

Reactions: Simon Says