Yet another reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Mar 28, 2009
Hays
State / Prov
KS
Yet another reason to trust your local floral professional...

Fielded several calls this morning from people looking for 90 stems of white carns and alstro. We only had about half of the stems needed. Someone came into the store looking for the same or ones in silk (didn't have those). Finally got an order for 30 stems of the carns. When the customer came in to pick up I asked what the occasion was that they needed so many stems (thought maybe a birthday...just curious)

Well, she told me it was for her sister's wedding tomorrow. They had a florist cousin who was going to do the flowers and they were having them shipped, not sure from where. Plane broke down in Atlanta and they sat in the cargo hold for 2 days. Needless to say they were fried when they arrived. They called the flower company and were told they would send out new flowers to be received this morning. Flowers never showed up, customer called company and was told they forgot to enter the order into the computer. So here they are one day before the wedding and they are scrambling all over town for any flowers they can get.

I think if they would have relied on a local floral professional to do their wedding they wouldn't be in this stressful situation. I understand the desire to save money and have family members help out, but is the stress really worth it?

I see this more and more all the time, and the bride doesn't get upset in the least, and furthur more it is us flower folks who have caused the DYI bride.

Here's the thing - hind sight is 20/20. They don't see the stress until it is too late. I have a friend getting married this coming Sunday. She made arrangements to order the flowers (without arranging) through a local florist, but her sister-in-law (who is not a florist) is going to make the bouquets and bouts. Here is the problem though - the sister-in-law is 9 months pregnant! I forsee her having the baby the day before, and there being a flower crisis. I tried to warn my friend of this, but no one listens to me. There is no stress - YET! But I have a feeling there is going to be one very stressed family this weekend.

I disagree that we caused it. I think the DIY culture was in part started by Martha (no last name needed) and then it just took off. There are tons of DIY "teachers" out there for everything, not just flowers. Cakes, invitations, home decor, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think it's going away (especially w/the recession) but I really believe there will always be people who get that you should hire a pro if you want it done right.

Reactions: Trinity
I am finding though that there is enough business that isn't diy to sustain my wedding sales. I don't have any problems booking during wedding season. So let the diyers do their thing and I will take the others.

Dont' want to start the war of words here.

Ok here goes, Say I come in your stores, and I want 10 single red rose bud vases, with a touch of bb in it, and 2 half dozen rose vase for two other tables, and that of say a dz roses for the sweet heart table, are you going to do this wedding, I know most on here will but some won't and the reason I am aware of this , this is an actual wedding thing, that , I am posting, the poor bride had been to like way more shops , that I would have done, and then would have said the helllll with it, and did it myself if I was a bride, this girl got prices from 22,.50 to 28.50 per bud vase, and for the half dz 40 and up on each on of them, for the dz she got that of 52.50 to 69.95, and this is just someone who is planning a lifetime, not just a day, and I am appalled at some of the shops that she went to or emailed about the pricing she got on the things that she needed. So what would your price be? She is also going to pick it up,I do understand labor and such, but this an easy quick thing to do, So that is one of many reason's we are doing this to our selfs, When I see what this and many other brides get priced on simple things, it just amazes me to no end, I don't have aproblem doing them, I know some shops won't either , but others well it is kinda beneath them to do so.

Reactions: Connie and bloomz
I would do that for a bride. That is simple enough and I would charge walk-in prices also. However, I think many times it becomes survival of the fittest for a florist. I only book one wedding on a weekend because that is all I can handle successfully. I could understand a florist turning down a small wedding in favor of booking a larger one. A business has to use their resources to do the most profitable option. I disagree though that florists cause the diy. I think that Martha and instructional videos on youtube make people think they can do anything. They do it for pride and for savings. No truer words were ever spoken that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... and I am confident that the diy world will settle back into a normal world once enough of these horror stories are told.

We are just as happy to help a bride with just her bouquet and the groom's bout as we are to help the bride that needs the whole shebang. We will not special order fresh or silk stems for DIYers anymore because we have been burned too many times. I don't know where to place the blame but we are definitely having to deal with it.

I have been thinking alot about this thread... In addition to everything else that has been said, I think there is also a mentality going around that if you do not "diy" things, then you are somehow wasteful with your money. The media seems to really be promoting that.

Maybe if somehow we could get the message across that "professional" does NOT equal "wasteful".

I am finding though that there is enough business that isn't diy to sustain my wedding sales. I don't have any problems booking during wedding season. So let the diyers do their thing and I will take the others.

Yes... But then when they come to you for help amid the crisis (day of or day before as in many of my cases) and you don't (or can't) help them -

You then become "the florist who would not help when we needed them the most" - as stated by one aunt of a bride who wanted me to show her how to make corsages and boutineers - because she "had tried and tried and we just can't get them to look right"...

Anyway - long story - short - would not show her and they were all pived because I would not help them in there delimma.. I have had many who have orded from Costco or Sam's not get the color they had ordered..
Then they come to me at Friday 3pm.. wanting Green roses.. UUHH???

Yes... I just want "The Others..":loopy

Reactions: inferno63
I have been thinking alot about this thread... In addition to everything else that has been said, I think there is also a mentality going around that if you do not "diy" things, then you are somehow wasteful with your money. The media seems to really be promoting that.

Maybe if somehow we could get the message across that "professional" does NOT equal "wasteful".

That is a wonderful point! I will think on this.. :dearbob:

Reactions: Sarah Botchick

:Something that has always bothered me....why do the media continue to preach DIY?

Who pays the bills of the media? Do you think it is the DIYers?

Carol Bice

At the risk of once again sounding like a snob... (been accused of it here before...wish y'all actually knew me...NOTHING could be further from the truth...but I digress....)

....Part of the problem comes from florists who can't design. Some of us send crap out of our shop doors, consumer gets it, then thinks "Heck, I could do THAT"

And they are right. Many florists prove them right, with every delivery.

We have GOT to separate ourselves from the roundy moundy designs, Martha-wads, and craft store looking designs. We have got to do better.

Education is a great solution. Take professional classes. Improve your skills.

Marketing would help, too, but all the marketing in the world won't fix bad design.

I think somebody around here says "Design Matters."

It does.

Consumers can get the products and supplies, many times from our very own wholesalers.

What do we have that they don't?

Skill. Talent. Know-how. How-to. Design ability. WE ARE professional grade.

We have got to promote that. Its a unique market stance. Its our only way to have a leg up.

:Something that has always bothered me....why do the media continue to preach DIY?

Who pays the bills of the media? Do you think it is the DIYers?

Carol Bice

I don't think that money exchange is in play here - I think it is more about popularity.

Society in general thinks that they can do something... (everything) from floral design to building a house themselves. Without any training or knowledge - is it arrogance or stupidity? ... and yes the media ALWAYS jumps on the "popular" band wagon.

I know that there are a lot of people that can do some of the DIY things.. My dad can build a house from the ground up... my mom can create a beautiful flower garden... But neither can do a floral arrangement - they have tried...
And boy - oh boy - if I tried to build so much as a bird house.. we'd be in trouble.

I just think it's societies attitude that "if so and so can do it.. so can I"...

At the risk of once again sounding like a snob... (been accused of it here before...wish y'all actually knew me...NOTHING could be further from the truth...but I digress....)

....Part of the problem comes from florists who can't design. Some of us send crap out of our shop doors, consumer gets it, then thinks "Heck, I could do THAT"

And they are right. Many florists prove them right, with every delivery.

We have GOT to separate ourselves from the roundy moundy designs, Martha-wads, and craft store looking designs. We have got to do better.

Education is a great solution. Take professional classes. Improve your skills.

Marketing would help, too, but all the marketing in the world won't fix bad design.

I think somebody around here says "Design Matters."

It does.

Consumers can get the products and supplies, many times from our very own wholesalers.

What do we have that they don't?

Skill. Talent. Know-how. How-to. Design ability. WE ARE professional grade.

We have got to promote that. Its a unique market stance. Its our only way to have a leg up.

I don't think your a snob... I think you are RIGHT!

Another part of it I think is what people have been programmed to believe is WORTH paying professional prices. My mom was a cosmetologist in her younger days. She trained me from an early age NOT to try to do my hair color myself from a drugstore box. Most of my friends think I am wasteful for going to a salon for my hair color. I have been programmed that it is WORTH it. These same people will spend a lot of money on an x-box or something. Personally, I am quite happy living without any video game console and think my money is better spent on professional hair color! It is unfortunately often about "programming" - from family, friends, media...

It seems one key is making people see the value of "professional."

Status
Not open for further replies.