You never know what people's stories might be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it's the simplest things. One day a lady whose husband had passed away within the year came in with a pie. She wanted to thank my husband for some simple thing he had done at her husband's grave site (he worked for the city and they take care of the cemetary). I was having a really rough day (just personal stuff) and it just made my day that someone would be so thoughtful, it made me cry. She has since come in to have a couple things made up for the cemetary and I always offer to take it out there for her. She is so sweet and doesn't really need to be. Things like this just remind me to always try to go out of my way whenever possible to just do something kind. Thank you for your story.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you all for your kind words. We are in the midst of recovery from a devastating ice storm, so I have not been able to check in lately, but on my iPhone today I have been reading your comments.

Everyone is helping each other through this with 400,000 without power in New Hampshire. I believe in what Anne Frank said: that we are all really good at heart, though I struggle with that concept at times.

Be well!

As a girl of 12, my family needed help. I do remember getting to pick out a new pair of much needed shoes! At 52 I pay it Forward as much as I can!!
I can tell you first hand that when a life is touched by kindness, it's never forgotten. God bless those that can give and do!

I miss to many days. I will try harder.

Item 9 from the Rosicrucian Code Of Life

9) Be generous towards those who are in need or less favoured than you. Arrange things every day so that you do at least one good deed for someone else. Whatever your good deed, do not boast, but thank God for enabling you to contribute to the well being of others.

I have to say i go mad at Christmas spending on my kids and my mum, she does so much for me throughout the year that i just want to show her how special she is to me.

But, i cannot enjoy my Christmas until i have bought a couple of presents and dropped them off at my local womans refuge. Sometimes when i hear christmas music it makes me sad because not everyone is lucky like us to enjoy christmas, it makes me thankful because i am one of the lucky ones but then sometimes sooo sad because it must just make some people unhappy.

One extra present to those less fortunate costs nothing (well hardly anything). Last year i had my husband running round at Christmas eve dropping presents off, i told him i would not enjoy my christmas day if the presents were not under someone elses tree.

These comments, these stories, have made me teary. And grateful to know such warm people.
Thank you ...

For our shop Christmas party this year (which is today) we decided instead of buying gifts for each other that we would all buy a gift for a child and give it to "toys for kids" I presented the idea at a staff meeting and we took a vote. The vote was 100% for kids and 0% for us!! I was so proud of my staff.

We also give my parents (the owners) a gift every year at our party. We got them a gift certificate to a place in Glens Falls NY called dinner and a movie. And the rest is going to Make a wish foundation. The donation was the same amount as the gift certificate. Again, very proud of my staff.

For my parents for Christmas I am donating money to STOP domestic violence.
For my brother, I am donating money to St.Jude's, my son (12) choose the charity. For my sister I am donating money to our local SPCA, my daughter (9) choose this charity.
When I brought up this idea to my kids they thought it was a wonderful idea, and really gave there choice of charity some thought.

My daughters school collected teddy bears for the local hospital, for their peds floor. My daughter spent a good amount of time looking in her room for teddy bears, she donated ALL she found. She asked the school if she could donated plush that was not bears, but the organization only took bears, she was a bit upset because she could of donated A LOT more if is was more than bears.

This year more than most people really need help, I am trying to teach this to my kids and at the same time show them how lucky our family is.

Oh, heres another story... I love this story!

When my son, now 12, was 6 we had a yard sale at my moms house. While looking for thing to sell, my mom came across a ton of plush in her garage. She asked my son if he would like to sell them, and he could keep the money. He was, of course very excited. A few days later, he asked if it would be ok if what ever money he got from the plush if he could donate it to St. Judes. I said of course. What we did was have him make a sign that said Plush animals free with a donation to St. Judes. He made a little over $180.00 it ALL went to St.Judes. And he was so excited and proud to do this.

He was great, he greeted every person, explained what he was doing and asked for a donation. Some people gave change, and some people gave up to $20.00. I was so so so very proud of him.

I give a lot one on one, meaning close to home.Dept. heads don't get a % of it. You have done a great thing in having your children working for the good of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.