Status
Not open for further replies.

njgraham

Mar 16, 2008
Manchester and surrounding area
www.squidoo.com
State / Prov
New Hampshire
OK, I am going to post something that happened to me last week. I thought I should spread it around. I have learned in many ways throughout my life that it is easy to judge at a glance, but you don't really know the whole story.

I sent this out to a few friends the day after, so that is how it reads.

To All my Dear Friends:

While I was in Home Goods shopping this evening a little girl walked past me (maybe 6 years old). She had long, light red hair, a light green coat and a red and white stripped hat on. She was by herself looking at the children's toys. From the minute I saw her she really struck me somehow.

Her mom found her and she was in trouble for wandering off, so I asked the mom if she wanted me to reinforce that. I told the little girl that when I saw her by herself I was worried about her. She said "I know!" Her mom and I chatted little bit. She was in the store for a long time looking at things and I could tell she really had to edit herself as far as what she could buy and she kept threatening her daughter with calling her dad if she didn't stay close. They were a little loud and, in fact, one of the young employees was a bit rude to them. The mom seemed unsettled and the little girl was actually pretty patient. They were having fun together.

I knew immediately that I wanted to do something for them but I didn't know why or what. I thought candy for the kids (she said she had 4 more at home). I hung around looking at things hoping something would strike me or that I would see her pick something up and put it back down. I just couldn't come up with what felt right so I got in line behind her.

Well, it seems she was hoping to pay with her new Home Goods card but she hadn't received it in the mail yet and they wouldn't let her do it. I mouthed to the clerk that I would pay for it and handed her my card so the mom didn't see me. I was trying to keep it a secret. The clerk told her that someone else was paying for it for her and she was confused. Then she started to cry. She saw me sign the slip and thanked me and asked my name. She told me her name was Eileen and that she had 5 children. Four boys at home, she said. Then, "But, this isn't my oldest daughter. My oldest daughter who was 17 died earlier this year. She was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and she committed suicide." It was then I knew why she was so unsettled and why I felt the unexplained desire to help. One of the things they bought was a little wooden duck that you pull behind you on a string. Her daughter thanked me for it and walked out of the store pulling it behind her.

The clerks couldn't believe I had done that. And I wondered, why should it be such a big deal. Its so EASY.

At one point while I was wandering the store and thinking about it I was a little embarrassed that I might be intruding on a stranger's life by doing something for her and I hesitated. Now I am glad I followed through.

Love to all,

Nancy

Reactions: 19 people
Nancy,

What a wonderful thing to do and wonderful that you shared your story with others. I've been reading Chicken Soup for the Grieving Soul (this time of year is hard for me because both by parents passed away young ages at precisely this time of year, and I must add literally 26 days apart). Even though this happened 8 years ago, it still hits like a ton of bricks.... Anyway my first thought was: You should send your story in to the authors of the book! I hope you do...
Thank you for your compassion for others.
Angels are all around us and you are one of them.
~ Dorothy
P.S. Have a wonderful Christmas and all the best to you and your family/friends in the New Year.

Reactions: 2 people
Love that story! What a great reminder to ACT on that little voice that tells you to do something nice for someone.

Nancy, that is amazing! I think you will find that you did more than just pay for some items in a store. You will have made that womans day, week and year probably, you are right, you never know what story is behind someone!!

You made my day too for that, i just love kindness...

A beautiful story about a lovely act of kindness on your part. Thank you for sharing.

No words... just hugs.

V

I am sitting here crying as I read your story. So amazing, so beautiful.

This story strikes my heart hard, my oldest son (almost 13) is bi-polar and OCD.

Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us all the TRUE meaning of Christmas.

Reactions: 1 person
.....great story and excellent follow up!

Brings back an experience I went thru about 7 years ago. I have been a Rotarian since the mid 80's and being the hard arse I am, this association w/ peers has put a little compassion in my soul, it seems. The Rotary Club mantra is:

Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all those concerned?

We repeat this at every meeting. So my story goes, I was in a fairly long line at WalMart. There was a young mother ringing out and there seemed to be a delay. I saw she had 'women' purchases(~$20) and a few other things. She paid by check but the machine would not allow the payment to be accepted. The cashier had to call the manager. They decided she could not purchase. Before she was rushed away to continue ringing us out I went up and told the cashier i would take care of the bill and allow this women to take her selections and go on her way. This women looked at me like I was crazy and then just w/ so much compassion in her eyes was very thankful. Somehow my hard arse softened a little that day and it is a day I will never forget!

nrgraham, you will never forget this day either. I do not tell this for myself but for those of you out there who, when provided the opportunity and you are able, it seems to cleanse the soul.

happy holidays!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for putting the day in the proper perspective. It should be something we all do on a daily basis but we let the BS get in our way. Thanks for the reminders...Nancy and Avenue Gardens. May your plates be full,
Sher

Reactions: 2 people
we all need to remember that ...what seems insignificant to us,can have such impact on someone else. If everyone did this for just one family,can you imagine how it would help our communities. Bravo Nancy....green dot for you!

Great story Nancy...I have been really so scared lately about the economy & my shop continuing....I realize that sometimes it's so insignificant compared to other peoples struggles...Thanks for putting it in perspective

Blessings

Nancy,

You have me in tears!! How sweet of you!! They will never forget you.

Status
Not open for further replies.