Not open for further replies.

Eric S

Demoted Webmaster
Jul 12, 2005
Tustin
www.everydayflowers.net
State / Prov
CA
Yesterday I completed my first physical in 15 years. My last physical was when I joined the Army at age 21.

Some of the problems I have experienced over the past 4 years have all been related to the lack of exercise. Sure we all have the same excuses such as kids and not enough time in the day.

My doctor has pointed out to me that many of my problems are all related to the lack of exercise such as hearing and concentration problems. A 30 minute work out everyday is the answer.

My point of this thread is to share my experience with dealing with this and hope that it may answer the same questions that many of you flower chat members have. I also would like to share that if you have put off seeing your doctor perhaps its time to make that appointment. The relief that you will experience is over whelming.

Don't look towards the internet for answers about your health because they are wrong!!!

You should also feel comfortable with your doctor and if not get a new one.

I hope to share more with you in this thread.
Today was my first day working out and I weight 283.

Good for you Eric. It is true, that we all fail to take the time to really put forth the effort to take care of what should really be most important. I don't mean that in a selfish way, it's just that if you health fails, everything else suffers.

My husband has sleep apnea, partly from heredity, and partly from "deconditioning" as the doctor kindly phrased it. He has begun sleeping with a C-pap machine every night to help him get real sleep. This has made a great difference to him in terms of energy,concentration, mood ... to the point that he's now ready to start an exercise program to help keep the good health moving along. He is 38, and not far behind you in weight. I'm joining him in his effort, with my own program. We're both ready to start taking care of ourselves!

Good luck with your effort - it's so worth it.

tracy

This weekend my husband had his second heart catherization in 5 years. He didn't have a heart attack this time, but if he had gone another day or two, I would have been a widow (the artery is called the "widowmaker" for good reason). Luckily, they were able to alleviate his pain, do the cath, place a stent in the artery, and home the day after. With light cardiac rehab he should be able to go back to work in about 4 weeks. He quit smoking in November (I'm next hopefully) and gained about 20 lbs since that time. He's no lightweight by any means 254 lbs. I am and have been cooking "light" for the past 5 years but his side munchings and lunches at restaurants etc aren't great for diet control. So we're onto the better way, hopefully. We used to walk a bit, hard to do when there's so much snow and ice on the ground and with no gym available, what to do?
Myself....hmmm....weighed 90 lbs until I was 40...now 142 so I need the real diet and exercise too. Great advice, thanks Eric... Do it now so you don't lose someone you love or endanger yourself needlessly....

Rhonda;

I was suspected of having diabetes all of a sudden. A concern because our daughter has to take insulin shots at every meal! Doctor said lets try to control it with diet; daughter gave me a book on counting calories & carbs. The dietician in the doctors office suggested 2,000 calories & 200 grams of carbs a day, and DEMANDED that I record everything that went in my mouth. It took me about 6 weeks to get the totals close to the goals, but in 6 more months I went from 225 to 183 and she (the Dr) told me to quit pushing as I had cut back to 1800 calories and 180 carbs. Sorry to say I quit keeping the record, and when we celebrated our 50th anniversary I gained 12 lb that I never lost back. Over the past 4 years I have added another 8 lbs and am planning to restart the record keeping in the morning! I can feel that extra weight.

Hmmmm.... this could be a great opportunity to have our own "losers". :)

V

Great thread Eric!!!!

I was on the web looking for info on the "lap band" surgery last night!

I am living a very wreckless lifestyle right now and have gained about 40 pounds in the last five years!!
:alcoholic :ssmoke :boggles: :brandreco :help:
I don't exercise...Too tired!
I don't eat right.....Too hard!

Well if I took the high road and started eating right I probably would not be too tired to exercise!

I am getting ever so close to 40 and if I do not get a handle on it now I never will!
You have inspired me!
Does anyone need a weight loss buddy?
I 'm available!!!:tread:

My husband had been told he had pre-diabetes last fall. He and I started following the recommended carb controlled diet. He has lost over 50 lbs since last fall. I have lost more than 35 but have worked out lots more so it shows as much as 50 lbs. Six pant sizes :)

Prior to that I had lost 15 lbs after my thyroid medication was straighted out.

I work out 30 to 45 minutes most mornings now. I miss it when I don't.

Oh, and my husband's blood test are all perfect now, yay!

What a great thread!!

I look good around 145 lbs. I soared to 205 when pregnant, 7.5 years ago. I have carried around those extra 60 lbs. this whole time, and now have high blood pressure. My husband is about 35 lbs. overweight too, and also sleeps with a cpap.

We both joined Weight Watchers 3 weeks ago. So far he's lost 12 lbs. and I've lost 8. It's a start! I have been going to Curves, but quit for almost a month now, since I hurt something in my left shoulder. I went back Monday, hurt a bit on Wednesday so didn't go. I think I'll start again next Monday, hoping this arm feels better.

I highly recommend Weight Watchers!

Beth :~)

same age as eric s!

Wow, it is so weird you posted this thread, I am also going to be 36 yrs old in june and have not had a complete physical in over 15 years also, I just made an appointment last week, I have a 3 year old son and I want to be around when he gets old, so I too, need to start watching what I eat and exercise, stay healthy yall!:sofa: get off the sofa and do some push ups!

ps- I also think I have back problems from lifting and dumping all those flower buckets and carrying boxes of vases downstairs to storage!Yeah , thats right, along with running my shop, I take out the trash too!:hammer:

I think it is so important to remember what role stress plays in the weight game.Despite the beautiful surrounding we work in this is a stressful job. Last year for me was very difficult, but by year end life was getting back to a more even state- and I began to have fun once in a while!!

Since Jan 1st I have lost 22 lbs. and still going down. I have not altered my eating habits at all. The excercise I do is specific to an activity I am taking up (learning to ride a motorcycle-Yippiee!! Needed to build a little upper body) not to burn calories.
I have cut back my work commitments significantly from the 80 hours I was working. Blood pressure is down to normal again after taking meds for years. I visited the doctor this week and the news was very good. Less stress=less me!

You know.....

I've always believed that we are all pre-disposed to be what we are, and our genes would dictate how we'd turn out, and there was no "other options"
Then, I believed that we ourselves are our own worst enemies by our lifestyle choices, and out of control human traits of over consumption.
Now I truly believe that all the stress, and anxiety of life pressures, and more so, the excess commitments we all make to our work environments has MORE to do with ill health, than all the other things combined.
My new son in law, healthy, well adjusted, well excersized, and a great outlook on life, great eating habits, and good medical history, was placed in hospital this morning at 1:30 am with a brain anurism/bleed in an inoperable location...and THE ONLY thing out of whack in his life is his highly stressful occupational position, as the only male in his department of Family Counselling Advisors, and being the ONLY male, his outlook of family councelling, is somewhat different than his female counterparts, and he is highly sought after.
Being such, his metabolism is so highly wound up, that he is unable to gain ANY kind of weight, which is contrarian to those of us with excessive habits...yet, by medical standards, he's bang on in every aspect!!
We are very concerned....my daughter is in tears.....we are in tears.....

Status
Not open for further replies.