Zia Cup New Mexico Designer of the Year....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job Shannon! So proud of you :grovel::grovel:

WTG Shannon!

Shannon -

CONGRATS! WTG! I want to see some pictures, too!

I love seeing your work - do this come naturally for you?

I'm a "copier" - I see ideas (or remember designs I have seen), and copy them, tweaking them to my liking.

I have a feeling you are a natural!

Val

So I know this is a bad pic...sorry, but it is the only one I got of my arrangement I made.

We all got all the same stuff... I just kept thinking to myself..focal...line...clean mechanics....don't do everything you know in one design (that's a hard one for me).....etc.....

It was extra challenging for me because they gave us flowers in 2's. I grew up with using flowers in odd numbers. But you have to do with what they give you.

It's not the world greatest design, but I guess it was better than the other ones, according to the judges! It was the best I could do in the situation.

Attachments

• 100_0379.jpg
    100_0379.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 1 person
So I know this is a bad pic...sorry, but it is the only one I got of my arrangement I made.

We all got all the same stuff... I just kept thinking to myself..focal...line...clean mechanics....don't do everything you know in one design (that's a hard one for me).....etc.....

It was extra challenging for me because they gave us flowers in 2's. I grew up with using flowers in odd numbers. But you have to do with what they give you.

It's not the world greatest design, but I guess it was better than the other ones, according to the judges! It was the best I could do in the situation.

Not to make your accomplishment seem like less, but it looks as though it was one of those easy competitions...Very nice arrangement...

Shannon,

I love what you made! Very cool!

And I'm sure Lori didn't mean her post the way it sounds.

Shannon,

I love what you made! Very cool!

And I'm sure Lori didn't mean her post the way it sounds.

No, Beth I didn't, hence the disclaimer at the beginning. It is a beautiful arrangement and she did very well...Thanks for the boost on my character...sometimes I just don't articulate well...

I meant that it wasn't like a national type of contest more of a big fish in a small pond kind of contest, less A game and more fun...grab bag is always fun and not everyone is good at that....off the cuff kind of stuff...

Oh Lori, I'm sure you would never want to make my accomplishment seem like less..

Well, I guess you are right, it was easy for me. Especially since I didn't worry and worry about it.

Competitions are only "easy" if you know what you are doing. I'm sure the other contestants who didn't win didn't find it so easy. It's not easy to loose. It's not easy to enter your first competition. I'm sure it was disapointing for them. It would have been disapointing for me if I had not won, even though I had a pretty casual attitude toward it.

A lot of designers don't work with tropicals on a regular basis. I'm lucky in this case, I do. We had an hour to complete our design..It took me all of 10 mins, absolute start to absolute finish, including clean up.

And I was a finialist in a National competitions too, didn't feel like a big fish then...

My pleasure, Lori. LOL

Yes, I imagine Shannon was a pretty big fish in that pond.

Your design is fab, and your obviously used to working under pressure, well done :yourock:

First off Congrats to you Shannon for winning the title, you deserve the recognition, you're top notch. My question is how can someone from Colorado win New mexico designer of the year?? I mean I know you were there and stuff but you don't live nor do you own a shop there, or do you? Just curious is all.

Also, I knew you could be convinced to enter the dozen rose contest... lol

well, actually I live VERY near New Mexico.

Different florist associations have different rules.

The shop I work for is 20 miles away from the New Mexico border. I am closer to Albuquerque than I am to Denver!!

Anyway, I get flowers and have close relationships with a lot of people and wholesale houses in New Mexico. I managed a shop in New Mexico before I was offered my current gig. And that shop was part of the NMSFA as well. I had been involved with the NMSFA convention a few years back when it came to the town I was living in. And I was asked by the NMSFA to do a presentation on how to sell flowers in Los Alamos NM..I'm really really good at selling flowers.. (I just sold a corsage for $70..designer's choice no less!) Almost everyshop I ever worked for was a member of their states florist association. I encourage you all to join your states association. It's wonderful for networking and education.

Any Hoo.....

I called NMSFA and asked if we (the shop I work for now) could join, seeing as how we get so much stuff from New Mexico. They said they'd love to have us. A lot of state Associations have members from different states.

There's the story morning glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.