800 flowers, martha stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have signed up for Martha. Not sure how it will go. 800flowers has had other ideas that didn't go so well and some that worked out great.

We felt that since MD is coming up, the Martha collection might be the hot trend. She is still extremely popular. Her magazine and show are both doing well.

We feel we owe her one since she was incarcerated in our state!LOL

I have signed up....we will see how it goes...she is still very popular and as a florist I like her stuff, I think she has done amazing things for the floral industry...It is because of her that we use hydrangeas and rununculus like the carns and daisies of the 50s-70s.....

We signed up

We signed up. However, we noticed in the "contract" that there was nothing about the "buy back" of containers not sold. It took five people calling us until they told us that we could attach the e-mail they sent to us agreeing to the buy back. Otherwise, you could be stuck with containers...

They also told us we were the only store that questioned WHY it wasn't in the contract they sent us.

We'll see if it's worth it... if not...they can have their containers back!

Back in December, Boss posted the initial info sent out about the 1-800-Flowers/Martha Stewart program. I'm curious about several issues with regard to this campaign:

1) Is 1-800-Flowers still charging shops $680 to participate in the program?

2) Is participation really limited to only 10% of all Bloomnet members? (That's only 600-700 shops and hardly seems enough to offer national coverage.)

3) Is the substitution policy the same as for other BMT orders?

4) Can participating florists use the Martha images on their own sites?

5) Can SFO/OGs use the Martha images on their sites?

6) Can a local florist advertise the availability of the Martha Stewart line to their local customers - using Martha's name?

7) Can the delivering florists add their own company branded marketing materials in addition to the ones required to be used from 1-800?

Any idea when this is supposed to officially launch to consumers?

Back in December, Boss posted the initial info sent out about the 1-800-Flowers/Martha Stewart program. I'm curious about several issues with regard to this campaign:

2) Is participation really limited to only 10% of all Bloomnet members? (That's only 600-700 shops and hardly seems enough to offer national coverage.)

3) Is the substitution policy the same as for other BMT orders?

6) Can a local florist advertise the availability of the Martha Stewart line to their local customers - using Martha's name?

7) Can the delivering florists add their own company branded marketing materials in addition to the ones required to be used from 1-800?

Any idea when this is supposed to officially launch to consumers?

1. Yes
2. Supposedly, but who really knows the answer to that unless you talk to every bloomnet florist. I have talked to two in my area and neither knew anything about the program...
3. Yes however there are suggested variety names for every flower if possible to use first before just generic subs...
4. I never got an answer to that. My Dad passed away as I got the packet and I had not had time to follow up.
5. Not sure, never thought to ask....not sure how they would know who has the items.
6. If I read the contract properly, we can use the logo in advertising just as we would be able to use the logo for 800-flowers. Not sure about the images, never followed up on that one due to my father's death.
7. not sure on this one...

Launch date is officially april 2nd...

There is no charge to participate. The 680.00 is for containers only

Since I am So Cal like you I hadn't even thought about the coverage part. I do know they plan on shipping alot of the Martha products just like they do everything else. It's interesting that in our area they haven't ask the Conroy's to participate. This leads me to believe that they are being somewhat selective.

) Is the substitution policy the same as for other BMT orders?
They say they don't have a very clear policy on this yet and know they are going to have problems.Also they said the Martha Stuart people are against substitutions. The lady I talked to indicated they thought the sub policy definatly had to be thought through still.

??

??

It seems like this is OK because they sent posters to hang up and definatly want us to promote the brand to our customers.

) Can the delivering florists add their own company branded marketing materials in addition to the ones required to be used from 1-800?
One of the stimulations of 1800 membership is that the card envelope must always have the local florists name and address on it- so I don't see why this would be a problem.

This makes me seem like I am a huge 1800 fan. Trust me I am as skeptical as anyone. I do know right now I am the only participent in my town. The containers are very cute and I will have no problem selling them to my customers if they don't sell. Plus the price points are mostly in the 70.00 to 100.00 range. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not playing this GAME with them...

But as I understand it, #4,5 and 6 are a yes Cathy...could be wrong, I was once...

As to #7 I'd do it til they *tried* to stop me ;)

I'm watching the Martha show right now.

She had Jim McCann, the head of 1800 Flowers on. He walked on with about 30 or 40 employees, each carrying one of the Martha bouquets. He introduced them as the florists who make the arrangements. Then he went on and on about how they're a FAMILY BUSINESS, introducing a couple of his relatives who work for them.

Martha talked about the containers having to withstand delivery "in the mail".

Kinda turned my stomach. I'm sure most people thought these were your local neighborhood florists on stage... they seemed to want to give that impression.

Beth :~/

let's see....statements by Mr. McCann...
There is only one place in Colombia that produces these beautiful peach carnations...............(three of the designs were very lopsided)
Most of them shown included cut lamb's ear..(hmmm...summer somewhere I guess).......The vases were knock offs from Martha's homes...cut down, from size, heavy pottery to light pottery, large glass with a very small opening (just perfect for a peony or stem of orchids). One I thought they said very quickly was from a venetian type glass to a plastic (but said very quickly). The other one Martha said was a "celery vase", perfect for putting celery sticks into.
then my phone rang so I stopped watching. Caught the "entrance" but did hear McCann stating "the next generation....getting involved with the business" and introducing his sister Julie as his original designer.

I wasn't impressed with the designs..all flat and of course "Martha style" but then again, they're just selling the brand

Here we go again.....

I guess we just like feeding the WS. Maybe this is just test marketing to see how many Martha bo-k's move thru each metro area, maybe a Martha's florist will eventually open up right next to starbucks???? Who knows. I'd sure bust my tukkus to help them out.
But as has been said before and will be said again. You're either with them or against them. I for one am a BIG against them.
If it was their idea it must have some alterior(sp?) motive behind it. Maybe just a Martha Kiosk at the front of each Kmart or heaven forbid a Martha's florist at each Macys. But go right ahead and let them do some test marketing on your backside. It is after all a free world. Just keep on building their brand
Best wishes
mrflowermarket

Art uploaded a clip from today's Martha segment to YouTube. 1-800 brought in 25 florists and paraded the designs onto the set with great fanfare.

One of them sure looks like Maris from Karin's.

My apologies if I misunderstood the program. It looks like I did. She mentioned sending them "by mail", so I thought these were all assembled at some main warehouse and sent out by FedEx or whatever.

Sorry!

Beth :~)

SAF E-Brief

Art uploaded a clip from today's Martha segment to YouTube. 1-800 brought in 25 florists and paraded the designs onto the set with great fanfare.

One of them sure looks like Maris from Karin's.

SAF E-Brief-

Florists Share Martha Stewart's Spotlight

Nine florists made national network television earlier today, as guests on The Martha Stewart Show. The appearance was part of the rollout of Martha Stewart for 1-800-Flowers.com, a new line of floral and hard goods from the domestic goddess. The florists who were chosen to participate on the program are all members of BloomNet (a wholly-owned subsidiary of 1-800-Flowers.com and an international wire service provider with a network of professional florists) and among the 1,200 select group of BloomNet Professional Florists who will be offering Stewart's designs.

The florists who appeared on the Wednesday morning talk show to promote the new line of products were:
• Stephen Saitos of Starbright Floral Design in New York, N.Y.
• Timothy Rasmussen of 1-800-Flowers in Boston
• Judy Sicola of 1-800-Flowers in Houston
• Margaret Fleegal of 1-800-Flowers in Fairfax, Va.
• Charlie Moran and Joan Moran of Evergreen Florist in Lindenhurst, N.Y.
• Maris P. Angolia and Mark Randolph Angolia of Karin's Florist in Vienna, Va.
• Skip Paal and Jocelyn Salzano of Rutland Beard Florist in Catonsville, Md.
• Kathy Gorris and Michelle Shively of Oneco Florist in Bradenton, Fla.
• Ben Veldkamp, AAF, and Martha Veldkamp of 1-800-Flowers in Colorado

The 10-minute segment about Stewart's designs for 1-800-Flowers kicked off the Wednesday show and the florists were invited to come out on stage — Stewart called this part of the show "a special delivery" — each carrying an arrangement from the new line.

"It was cool, very exciting to be a part of a live TV segment," Maris Angolia says. The florists got to participate in the full live TV experience, too, including arriving early (7 a.m.) on set at the station to have a few rehearsals and hanging out in the show's "green room," until they were ready to go on-camera right after 10 a.m., she says.

Jim McCann, founder and CEO of 1-800-Flowers, was also on-hand to talk about the new line with Stewart — the duo talked about the different arrangements and the flowers used to create the look.

In addition to the sheer excitement of getting florists on national television, Lisa Carmichael, BloomNet's vice president of marketing and business development, says the show also marks the first time a "celebrity has gone on national TV to say these floral arrangements will be done and delivered by your local florists."

The segment aired at 10 a.m. on national TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.