800 flowers, martha stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an impressive list of local florists used on the show. It appears 1800 is raising the quality bar on their local stores with the Martha program. I sure hope they stick to it.

Sure sounds like the right start for the campaign. If these florists can leverage the Martha brand to build more local sales (and with the right marketing, it could really be possible) then the program will be a real success.

Every other 'designer' line from 1800 has been available drop-ship only, as has FTD's (Vera Wang, Todd Oldham). Let's face it, Martha is the strongest flower/florist brand in the US and she'll now be available through a limited number of B&M stores.

I haven't seen the design recipes but know the discounts/royalties will cost each of these florists a lot. The real measure will be if participation can lift their profits.

I am working for several shop that are in it, the recipes are going to be hard to dup for those price points, Cathy I can tell you that they even tell them what they can subsitute, but basically they are to be filled as they are.
They can be easily dropped shipped also. But all those florist walking in wtih those bouquets was dramatic, giving the impression they are "hand delivered" by a florist...wonder if any of the other big 800's are upset they were not asked to be on Martha, some I talked to today, knew nothing about it. I saw your post on YOUtube.com about Arts posting, so I watched it. Looked good, but the bouqets looked small to me...now only time will tell.

All I know is that when I click on each of the choices on this page,
http://ww22.1800flowers.com/collection.do?cm_cid=d10876
only 9 of them say they're delivered by a florist. The remaining 30 all say "delivered by ups, fedex or dhl".

Well now when I click on that link, it takes me back to a main page, not the page I was on with 39 choices. But I think you still get the point. Seems like most of what Martha's selling does not require your local florist.

Beth :~)

the recipes are going to be hard to dup for those price points,
And even with the **allowable** substitutes there is no profit margin worth dealing with in most of these designs. Pricing them in my shop, showed between 23-30% shortage based on the recipes even with their offered discounts to buy the containers fairly cheaply.

*Most* florists do not even stock probably 40% of the varieties used, and this could be why the program was not offered to everyone...I got all the paper on it some time ago, lead me to decline their "invitation".

More on Martha.....

:eek::icon15:eek::icon15:faint::purpletea:icon15:eek::purpletea:faint::mad::mad::purpletea:eek::icon15:icon15:faint::mad::bangles::thumbsup:icon15:eek::purpletea:faint::thumbsup:purpletea:icon15:eek::bangles::thumbsupHere are the delivery options offered by 1800. from their website. One if by land or two if by sea. No, it looks to me like their going to ship all they can. The florist delivered option only kicks in if they can't get it there thru their usual options UPS fedex or dhl
DELIVERY OPTIONS
Two delivery choices are available to ensure that customers can receive our fresh, beautiful arrangements exactly when they want them. Same-day delivery is now available through our network of local florists, or next-day delivery, sent direct from the grower. Only the very best blossoms are cut and conditioned to deliver longer flower enjoyment than you may have thought possible.
:icon15:purpletea:eek::thumbsup:faint::mad::bangles::icon15:eek::bangles::thumbsup:faint::mad::smoke:eek::mad::purpletea:faint::icon15:eek::purpletea:icon15:eek::faint::mad::thumbsup:icon15:purpletea:purpletea:icon15:faint:
They also note that they teamed up because of Marthas rep for flowers and their(1800) delivery ability(She knew she was missing the same day boat) and needed us (I should say those willing to succumb to her mezmerizing trance) to get the same day business-- The only market share she didn't have... Like I mentioned before.(Last post) I look to see "Martha's Boutique"(they already have a name) at k-mart or macy's one day soon. So keep on keepin on!!!! Build that Brand. They can't do it without you.!!!!!:icon15:icon15:icon15:icon15
Best wishes mrflowermarket

Reactions: 1 person
Call me the biggest snob but I am totally underwhelmed by this Martha 1800 endeavor. All in all, its just another brick in the wall.
The wall I'm constantly slamming me head on.:wallhead:

Did anyone receive their packet ? ? ? If so please please please read it
with caution.... Did you see the prices for the containers also did you see the $$$ amount the florist gets paid it is not even a 70 - 30 split... I have a friend on the inside and here are the answers to the seven questions
1. the only fees are for the containers and the packaging that you have to use cards cello etc ( yes yuo must !!! use their branded packaging not yours. )
2. they want 10 % however the are having issues signing enough members
3. They will be frowning on subs... if you look at the produsts they are very minimilast... you really can not sub without changing the look
4. yes you can use the images
5. why not... they do not care if you are an o g or retail its all about lining their pockets not ours...
6. yes you can advertise... it's the least they can do
7. no no no
I hope i helped, thanks

Can the local florist not put their name on it anywhere? WTH?

Beth :~(

Hence the *first reason* I declined to be involved...

the $$$ amount the florist gets paid it is not even a 70 - 30 split...
And the second reason...like I needed one after the first...

But "they" are trying to *help you* grow **THEIR** business...where's the problem...? WTH is rather mild, more like WTF?

Every IVORY TOWER needs a herd of PEONS(no thats not peonies mispelled) to build their empire. I for one am working on my own IVORY TOWER (eventhough I've hardly got the hole dug for the foundation) Better to work on mine than that of Her Majesty the Queen of Flowers. I used to idolize her, now ---not so much---(not over this 1800 thing though) my dissolusionment occurred long before this. Best wishes mrflowermarket

In addition to the sheer excitement of getting florists on national television, Lisa Carmichael, BloomNet's vice president of marketing and business development, says the show also marks the first time a "celebrity has gone on national TV to say these floral arrangements will be done and delivered by your local florists.

With this statement alone sets up consumers to believe that their arrangements will be delivered by a local florist. Once again the consumer will be fooled and led to believe that they are getting something from the professional florist. After the 2008 Mothers Day holiday is over and the consumer once again realizes that they have been fooled and led by the hand of Jim McCann and Martha Stewart. Just how many of them will return to buying from us? How many of them will just say SCREW buying flowers as gifts?

And of course the biggest question that will be answered is how many bloomnet florist will still be in business? Allie said
It's interesting that in our area they haven't ask the Conroy's to participate
That’s because they have already done the damage to them. Taking every single local listing and adding 800flowers.com to each Conroy’s. Can you imagine if overnight every single one of your customers stopped ordering through your website because they thought 1800flowers was your website? How long could you stay in business? We have seen it before with FTD’s yahoo scam last year and I don’t believe for one second that every single Conroy’s allowed 800 flowers to replace their local listings with 800flowers.com links.

I feel sorry for those florist that participated on that show. What an exciting time for them but for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: 2 people
*****SIGH******
It just never seems to end.

I agree with what was said before... WHY do you want to help them build their Ivory Towers.... what a great statement.
Isn't Martha rich enough already?
I, for one, will keep plugging away at building MY OWN ivory tower too...
maybe I'll get there, maybe not.... but at least I'm not gonna help them with theirs... because... and really stop to ponder this question... WHERE will it get YOU for helping THEM?
My guess is NOWHERE.

Kim

I believe the % you get will be lower than normal too
A 1800 franchisee told me the commissions given on Martha brand designs range from 29% to 39%, depending on the product.

At least the products are well marked as to whether they come in a box or come from a florist.

A 1800 franchisee told me the commissions given on Martha brand designs range from 29% to 39%, depending on the product.

At least the products are well marked as to whether they come in a box or come from a florist.

That is correct, they have based the pay out on the difficulty of design....If it is 5 lilies in a vase with nothing else the pay out is lower...if it is 3 different types of flowers and a low bowl without foam payout is a bit higher because of the fussing...

There were Bloomnet florists and their significant others on the stage for the show, as well as 1-800-flowers franchised florists.

Nothing to get your stomach in an uproar over...:)

There were Bloomnet florists and their significant others on the stage for the show, as well as 1-800-flowers franchised florists.

I believe that the "uproar in the stomach" may be that Martha specifically thanks the florists who will be delivering "personally", HER flowers. NOT!
What they neglected to interject that some of those designs may be hand delivered by a Real Local Florist. As usual s p i n :spintongu

We know Maris from Karin's was there... tell me, was anyone from Flowers Sent Today on stage?

As to the uproar, the profit margins for these designs are unrealistic in todays retail floral world...can you make a profit on them? Slightly, perhaps...maybe... but with the branding necessary using 800F's logo and such, it's like paying to market for your competition.

I believe that the "uproar in the stomach" may be that Martha specifically thanks the florists who will be delivering "personally", HER flowers. NOT!
What they neglected to interject that some of those designs may be hand delivered by a Real Local Florist. As usual s p i n :spintongu

Rhonda the worst part of that whole situation is there was no mention of the drop ship portion of the program in any of the paperwork. It looked as if it was going to be all florist delivered. I looked at the website and half of the arrangements that are featured as drop ship are in my recipe book as florist designed pieces. I wonder if they had to go to drop ship because of participation problems???

Status
Not open for further replies.