Battle of the Flower Designers- March Madness Tournament 2010

First two critiques - Hollyhocks and Twigs

In originalty - both of you have nice everyday basic design.......very consumer oriented. However, If I were looking at this at an AIFD symposium and judging, these designs would be considered average in my opinion.

both have a well established focal area, harmony and unity is expressed well........in color harmony though......Hollyhocks got a higher score than Twigs......In general - when designing for a competition..........a mono-chromatic color harmony will always score high. THe classic red and white is a tried and true color harmony and the green accents of the parrot tulips and the hydrangea serve to enhance the color harmony

both have a good scale, although the hollyhocks design with it's slanted dynamic lines, although visually eyecatching, also lead the eyes away from your focal with no retun......line movement could have been executed better,

I'm giving mechanics in both the high score because in the video, I could see no glaring mistakes..........in order to judge that category clearly, I would have to be up on the design really looking at how it is put together.

overall, nice designs........beautiful in the consumers eyes no doubt, but not what I would call competition style designs.

Reactions: twiggy and master J
second two critiques - Affairs to Remember and Avante-Gardens

Both truly excellent inspiring designs. Both use a good color harmonies, showcase a nice understanding of Principles and Elements, however, in affairs design....the sheltering with the lily grass is hindered by the vertical line of the snaps........also. the sheltering appears in the video off-center and this detracts a lot fron the visual balance. Cathy's use of negative space borders on perfection. Nice framing techniques, I gave affairs though the high mark in use of texture.....the horizintal designs and the flower placements presented a really intriqueing assemblage of texture.

Again, I would really have to look into the actual designs to see how well the mechanics would be concealed, covered, and techniques used. In my opinion, both of these designs would score well above average if I were viewing them for AIFD.

Gorgeous work...........beautifully presented........ in adding up the scores for the four designs viewed so far according to the score sheet devised by Carol - Cathy's design is the clear winner HOWEVER......still two more pairings to view.

Third critique - Mums and Everyday Flowers

Both good designs.....Mums, your choice of a classic fan shape and style and the placement of the flowers showed me you have a clear grasp of the basics. Eric, your video focused a lot on the individual flower selection, and until the end , it was difficult to view the entire design.

There are some discordant notes about both designs - It appears Eric that the designer was creating a volumetric style design.......if so, then the materials needed to be brought in more toward the center column of the design. Mums, your choice of two colors of gerbera threw your visual color balance off. Your design would have scored higher in that regard had you used all one color gerbera. Both of you have a good understanding of color and color harmonies, In your design Eric, there were a lot of focal areas......however, I could not see where one focal dominated more than the others. Mums, your choice of the hydrangeas to create your focal area created a almost too dominant focal area........you almost did not 'see' the other flowers.
Rolling the Ti-leaves in your design Mums was a nice touch, although they would have been more appropriate to have showcased that technique more rather than hiding it to the back of the design. One other thing and this one I struggled with.......That was the use of acacia in the design you submitted Eric. Acacia was not on the required flower list.........It appears that that was one of your choices of foliages.........in that repect, the acacia should not have been in bloom.
In some judges eyes......that would have been ruled a disqualification. Did it detract from the design.........no.........was it a wise choice........probably not.

Poll Results are in.....Round 1

The poll results for the contest are final. ( however the polls will continue on the blog for years to come.... I think?)

Poll 1-
Twigs 57% Hollyhocks 43% Final

Poll 2-
Affairs To Remember 40% Avante Gardens 60% Final

Poll 3-
Everyday 64% Mums and More 36% Final

Poll 4-
Anytime 45% Belvedere 55% Final

I will announce judges score sheets ASAP on Sunday ( tomorrow )

Great job everybody!

Last two critiques - Anytime Flowers and Belvedere Flowers

Again, two good designs........both with a great consumer appeal. Both exhibited good understanding of principles and elements of design. Adam, great use of the binding technique to keep your flowers grouped together. That made the design very clean. Your trelllis of equisetum adds to the design. However, your focal development with your hydrangea........overpowering to the rest of the flowers.......perhaps if the hydrangea had been split....perhaps some in the back creating a path through the garden.

Anytime flowers, great technique with the lily grass loops......however, the placements of them were hidden somewhat by the branches........they could have had much more visual impact.

Both of you had good color harmonies........good textural development on both. Adam's design withe the parrot tulips and the other items gave a higher level of textural exporation and his marks reflect that.

Results for Round 1

http://www.belvedereflowers.com/blo...om-round-1-battle-of-the-flower-designers.php

Thanks to all the florists who took part in this fun contest. Hopefully we can do these for years to come!

Unfortunately for this year, only 4 florists will be moving forward to Round 2 of this March Madness Tournament.

Here are the results from Round 1 -

Twigs Vs. Hollyhocks

Public Poll- Twigs (57%)

Judge- Ricky King- Hollyhocks

Judge- Carol Bice- Twigs

The winner is : Twigs in Yerington NV

Affairs To Remember Vs. Avante Gardens

Public Poll- Avante Gardens (60%)

Judge- Ricky King- Avante Gardens

Judge- Carol Bice- Avante Gardens

The winner is : Avante Gardens in Anaheim CA

Everyday Flowers Vs. Mums and More

Public Poll- Everyday Flowers (64%)

Judge- Ricky King- Everyday Flowers

Judge- Carol Bice- Everyday Flowers

The winner is : Everyday Flowers in Tustin CA

Anytime Flowers Vs. Belvedere Flowers

Public Poll- Belvedere Flowers (55%)

Judge- Ricky King- Belvedere Flowers

Judge- Carol Bice- Belvedere Flowers

The winner is : Belvedere Flowers in Havertown PA

Here are the 4 florists moving on to round 2-

Twigs, Avante Gardens, Everyday Flowers, & Belvedere Flowers

Stay tuned for the matchups, rules and recipe coming soon!

Round 2 entries are due March 27th.

Thanks Judges!

Thanks to Ricky & Carol for doing this, I got a PM from Ricky at 12midnight, so I know he's been working hard to get this done! Carol also took a lot of her time to do this, and I am so appreciative of that! Thanks guys!

Here are the score sheets-

Ricky King-
Categories evaluated were

Orginality
Focal development
Harmony/Unity
Organization of materials
Scale/Proportion
Physical balance
Mechanics
Visual Balance
Texture usage
Form
Line/Rythym
Repetition
WOW factor
Color Balance
Design Basics

Scores for Twigs
3,4,4,5,5,5,5,3,2,2,2,3,3,3,3 (49)

Scores for Hollyhocks
4,3,4,3,4,5,5,3,4,4,3,4,4,3,3, (56)

Scores for Affairs
5,5,5,4,4,5,4,5,5,4,5,4,4,5,5 (69)

Scores for Avante gardens
5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,4,5,5,5,5,5,5 (74)

Scores for Everyday flowers
4,3,4,4,4,5,5,4,4,3,4,4,4,4,4 (60)

Scores for Mums and more
2,3,4,3,4,5,5,4,4,4,5,4,3,3,3 (56)

Scores for Anytime flowers
4,5,4,4,4,5,5,4,3,4,3,5,4,3,4 (61)

Score for Belvedere flowers
5,3,5,5,4,5,5,3,5,5,4,4,5,4,4 (66)

Total the scores for each design and the higher number is who won out in each round.

Carol Bice-

BATTLE OF THE DESIGNERS – MARCH MADNESS

First of all, I want each of the designers that competed in this contest to know that there is not one poor design. That being said, it was hard to judge because you are all really good designers and I would be proud to send an order to any of the shops that participated because I know each of you are far above the average florist.

Another point I would like to make is that a particular designer might have a total number of points way beyond yours. . Do not let this take you down in any way. Make it a positive in your life. Just learn from what that designer does differently to become the winner.

I have always tried to surround myself with people that are better than me at any endeavor I do, (bridge, tennis, designing, music) because I only learn from them. If you only associate with people you can beat, you never grow in that endeavor. It was a great honor to have seen all your work and I see some new AIFD members in the making.

Belvedere Flowers vs. Anytime Flowers

BELVEDERE FLOWERS earned a total point count of 72 which is almost perfect. Absolutely outstanding work with such an innate ability for design: Be careful that you don’t have too many intersecting lines…it could get confusing; Love all the little surprises and unique techniques within the design….it makes me want to keep looking and examining; Good depth perception; Balance and harmony is awesome; the curly willow is the perfect touch and provides a nice framing technique for this vegative composition.

ANYTIME FLOWERS earned a total of 65 points.
The harmony is exceptional; love all the movement; very clean and distinctive; really beautiful work; the willow lines which are followed through with the dendrobian are wonderful; Your bear grass technique certainly give you some extra points; I would have preferred a little less product, but, understand that you were obligated to use all the product according to the rules; keep competing, because you are very good.

TWIGS vs. HOLLYHOCKS

TWIGS earned a score of 57
As you compete more….start selectively pruning more….especially with unimportant leaves….makes a cleaner look for judging; I feel like you may be working too much within your comfort zone….it is beautiful, but, didn’t really see many unusual techniques; You do very nice salable work and have a natural ability that shows; good repetition between roses and tulips….creates interest; too many lines going too many directions; great container.

HOLLYHOCKS earned a score of 44
Put more emphasis on a focal point; love your color combinations; nice groupings; the variegated leaf seems to have no purpose; very pretty work; this is a very nice design and shows you have talent; This is very salable, but, doesn’t have the wow factor.

EVERYDAY FLOWERS vs. MUMS AND MORE

EVERYDAY FLOWERS earned a total of 58 points;
Outstanding and beautiful design work; love the way you used the tulips and love all the movement; greens are a tad bit heavy; start pruning unnecessary green for lighter and neater work: For the next phase, go outside your comfort zone a bit more.

MUMS AND MORE earned a total of 48 points
There are many interesting ways to trim the palm leaves to make them more effective…they are distracting from the very pretty arrangement; you do lovely work, but, need to explore more out of your comfort zone; I do see lots of natural ability, but, now you need to fine tune that ability; didn’t really see any unique techniques used in design; start incorporating some new concepts such as more groupings or use of static lines or negative space.

AVANTE GARDENS vs AFFAIRS TO REMEMBER

AVANTE GARDENS earned a total of 75 points
It is hard to judge perfection; I only hope that many picked up some new ideas and trends from watching this; you have always been the one to beat; I see this design as a teaching tool for others and hope they take advantage of what you have to offer; has the WOW factor; the spiral lines are so clean and makes the eye travel through out the design.

AFFAIRS TO REMEMBER earned 66 points
Lori, I have watched you grow as a designer from judging some of your other work; wow, you are doing great; nice touch in the use of the greens to encase your design…brings your eye to the focal point; great design…cherish the opportunity to compete against Cathy…. that should help to make you a much better contestant; it is an outstanding piece and would win in many other contests; the bear grass on the sides actually draws your eye away from the focal area….less is more.

I also want to add.........If any of you have any questions as to why I scored the way I did or have any questions about any technique you did or what I saw in the design..........PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO ASK.........In each competition that I entered, I sought out the judges and asked them, "ok, what did I do right and what did I do wrong" If I won the particular competition, then the questions was "why did I win, what made this a winning design"

In competitions that I judged, I always try to talk with the designers to offer my pointers, critiques, advice, encouragement, and to answer their questions.

THAT is how we grow, THAT is how we improve, THAT is how we reach for the stars and do greater things today than we did yesterday.

Round 2

http://www.belvedereflowers.com/blo...-designers--march-madness-tournament-2010.php

Here are the matchups for Round 2-

"The Battle of California"

Avante Gardens in Anaheim

Vs.

Everyday Flowers in Tustin

&

" East Coast Vs. West Coast"

Belvedere Flowers in Havertown PA

Vs.

Twigs in Yerington NV

Round 2 Recipe-

- 2 Dozen roses
- 3 other flower types (designer's choice)
- 4 foliage varieties
- 1 twig type material (willow, blooming branches, etc...)
- Container of designer's choice

- (Optional) you may use limited accessories as an accent to the flowers, such as ribbon, decorative wire, flower jewelry, etc., but cannot be over used or take away from the flower design in any way.

- Must be in a single, deliverable unit

- Roses MUST be the prominent flower and occupy at least 60% of the floral visuals.

- Designs must be shown on all sides (in 360 degrees)

- Videos must be less than 3 minutes. Feel free to show the designer creating the design if you want to, if not just showing the flowers from all sides is OK too. You can talk on the video if you want to, or feel free to just add music.

- All video entries are due on Sat. March 27th.

Congratulations to all the organizers and contestants! In a time when so many people (inside and outside this business) see nothing but the bad and get lost in negativity you guys are all doing something amazing. Thank you for the hard work!

It has also been great fun to watch - even for someone who has no understanding of design. I have learned so much!

Thank you all again. Good luck to everyone in the second round.

P.S. I know this is a lot of work but I really hope you do it again.

Adam, I am very Ok with you posting the judging comments...I am stoked to have come so close to Cathy..it means so much to me and may just give me the drive and confidence to get my butt to symposium and test for certification....

Carol and Ricky, Do I need to test for the new CFD and pass before I can qualify for the big test, If so is there a deadline for that? Also, Thank you so much, both of you for your honest and very helpful critiques, I will use the constructive crit to better my designs...

We are all such winners in my eyes...Good luck to all those that are moving on....and good for all of us, using facebook and you tube and all things web oriented,, I think that is the biggest win for most of us...Many who never even took a video nevermind edited or uploaded to youtube...Good for us and I hope that we don't put the video cameras down and never post anything again...I know I have 3 weddings coming up this year I am going to try hard to get some video footage....

My goal is to get the next set of video views into the thousands. :) More exposure = more real benefit.

Big thanks go to Rick & Carol for their comments and real time commitment. Most judges never have their scores or comments divulged to anyone but the contestant so their willingness to share is tremendous. :) I'm not sure publishing their comments/scores in public (outside FC) is necessary.

(Optional) you may use limited accessories as an accent to the flowers, such as ribbon, decorative wire, flower jewelry, etc., but cannot be over used or take away from the flower design in any way.
Can we clarify that the accessories must be widely available hard goods (i.e. nothing home-made or custom-made) and cannot be botanical materials?

My goal is to get the next set of video views into the thousands. :) More exposure = more real benefit.

Big thanks go to Rick & Carol for their comments and real time commitment. Most judges never have their scores or comments divulged to anyone but the contestant so their willingness to share is tremendous. :) I'm not sure publishing their comments/scores in public (outside FC) is necessary.

Can we clarify that the accessories must be widely available hard goods (i.e. nothing home-made or custom-made) and cannot be botanical materials?

Yes, Cathy, I will update that accessory info ASAP, thx!

Also, if Linda, Lori, Elizabeth, & Susan want to go ahead and try this round 2 recipe, just for fun, I will be happy to post them to the blog too, along with anyone else out there. Feel free to participate!

That was my feeling too, that's why I did not post comments to blog page :)

Well.......I have to say that this has been one of the most awesome experiences in my career as a floral designer, and to date, probably the most compelling to furthur myself in design. This is the second competition I have ever entered into, in a career spanning almost 30 years. Deplorable!

It is VERY easy to become complacent in my work and send out very nice designs that the comsumer/recipient will enjoy. With little or no thought put into them. My customers have already begun benefitting from my participation in this community, and that turns around and benefits me. I did a casket spray yesterday that would have been very nice and even above the average. But.....I trimmed the emerald, and then did one weave on half of one of the emerald in front. It added WOW factor. I may never hear from them, although I often do. The fact is, though, something like that keeps our industry ahead of the game and it only added a minute or so to my labor.

I think the biggest benefit for all of this will be to the industry. Seriously. If, as Cathy says, we can continue to garner people's interest in this competition, it can grow and expand so that the consumer is seeing THIER benefit in choosing to use a florist.

Congrats to the winners of round 1! I really liked seeing the judges comments. I think the comments are helpful to all of us here at FC, even if we didn't enter the contest.

One comment I would make: It was much easier to concentrate on the actual design with a blank background in the videos. Those that were filmed in the design rooms with all the clutter in the background were rather distracting to me. Just something to think about for future contestants.

Congrats to the winners of round 1! I really liked seeing the judges comments. I think the comments are helpful to all of us here at FC, even if we didn't enter the contest.

One comment I would make: It was much easier to concentrate on the actual design with a blank background in the videos. Those that were filmed in the design rooms with all the clutter in the background were rather distracting to me. Just something to think about for future contestants.

I agree Sandy, sorry about that. I would love to have a perfect background but it's just not possible with my set up. I guess I should consider shooting video in a different setting, not at my shop, with no distractions.

Speaking of distractions, I also did my design during the work day with phone ringing, waiting on customers, distractions of all kinds! LOL

It's really hard to catch us behind the scenes without the clutter in the background. However, I agree with you, it's hard to focus on the flowers in the video.

Since I like you so much, I just may paint the whole back work room all white for you this week! LOL

Reactions: sandytf