Battle of the Flower Designers- March Madness Tournament 2010

I went back and changed it immediately to four, but, it didn't come up, so, I just edited it again. Yes, there are clearly four winners.

Whew!!

Finally done with link game.

Good Luck Everyone and what a great job pulling this together. You know its really great seeing the different ideas of design and everything that goes into having this come together.

This is really group effort and I hope that we can all continue to work together not only in the challenge of promoting our business in this day and age but to even bring the much needed public exposure that this industry so desperately needs.

We really need the right voices to speak for all of us and to get the consumer thinking about flowers once again.

you're absolutely right Eric! This is only the first year- there's lots of potential for this competition to get bigger and noticed by many more people.
This is the kind of grass roots effort that people today respond to, much more than other traditional methods of getting shops like ours in the lime light :)
To Adam and Cathy- thank you both so much for getting this all together.

To everyone- after voting, Please take a moment to rate the videos and post a comment on You Tube. I would think it would help the videos come up higher in searches & browsing, and that way help the competition get more attention.

I can already see that in order to evaluate these designs.....we are going to have our work cut out for us and really have to pay attention to the details.

This is one reason why I asked for a series of still shots.......so we can better view details

ideally, I'd love to have the still shots posted here.....with links to the videos.

My first critique of round two - Began with Eric and Everyday Flowers - Beautiful, well created design. Critiques are minor and some may view them as open to question. Regarding the topiary form........ideally, the top mass should be the dominant feature and the base the secondary accent feature. You can have sizes of the masses similar, but the top portion above the 'trunk' should be the dominant feature. In this case, the base of the topiary is dominant.

The curly willow line could have been used to create a dynamic connnecting line between the top mass and the basal mass........Used just to swirl at the base created a superflous line. I also noticed that your ribbon pins were visible. Had you repeated the pin placement on the opposite side would have met the design principles of accent and repetition.

Like I said, these are tiny things...........from a consumer and design standpoint........A really beautiful design. Any shop would be proud to send that design out to a customer.

Reactions: Eric S and twiggy
My second critique - Cathy and Avante Gardens - Incredible design, Beautufully presented. The one thing that threw the arrangement off a little is the one kiwi vine that arced over the braided palm opposite the monstera........In looking at the line created by the kiwi - Had that kiwi shadowed the other kiwi, the design would have been flawless in my opinion. To me, that one peice of kiwi threw off the visual balance and line just a hair. Again......AN incredible design that any shop would be proud to send out that design. Gorgeous presentation Cathy.

Third critique - Twiggy and Twigs - Again, a gorgeous presentation and an incredible design. Several little things I noticed though - All your color was in the top portion and in the swirl of willow while the base was void of color.......A repeat of the same colors as an accent to the base was needed. Beautiful spiral form created.......I will say that the curly willow form seemed a trifle unstable to a degree and the topiary appeared to lean to one side of the implied vertical line created by the 'trunk' just ever so slightly.

Again........these are tiny things that I am really having to study the videos over and over to see them. Again, any shop would be proud to send this design out to and for a customer/client.

Last critique - Adam and Belvedere Flowers - First of all - A perfect score on color harmony.........Whenever you use a monochromatic color scheme.....then there is nothing that can be deducted regarding color.

You have a great balance between the dominant portion and the subordinate portion.......The only thing......and this is minor......for the extension presented by the callas and the lily grass......the trunk was slightly out of proportion. Proportion is defined as 'the size relationship BETWEEN the individual components of a design' Other than that.....the only other thing is I would have liked to have seen repetition with the roses in the top portion of the design.......and that is minor.

Again, as with the other designs..........Incredible work and any shop would be proud to send this out for their client/customers.

I want to say to all the competitors - You all did absolutely gorgeous, incredible work. Viewing your work is a pleasure. This is what makes evaluating both hard to do and yet, exciting to do. We as evaluators see work that impresses us, encourages us, and inspires us to improve ourselves.

Speaking for myself..........I am awed by the level of artistry showcased with these designs.

I scored all the competitors yesterday and sent them to Adam. He will post them when he deems ready. I am very busy getting ready for a trip, so, wanted to get it done before I left.

All were wonderful, beautiful designs and were really hard to judge.

I am leaving this week for a 3 week trip to Spain. Hopefully, I will get to visit some flower shops while there and can take some photos of what they do.

Reactions: CHR
I would like to thank Ricky for his critiques...I like that he supplied them simply because I was able to compare the minor flaws I saw and the ones I did not, they really help with knowing where you are at in terms of seeing the tiny problems which helps with competition...I too thought that all the arrangemnets were beautiful and would let them out of my shop, gladly...I was also impressed with my eye whne the only two things that Ricky mentioned was Cathy's kiwi vine and the trunk on Adam's arrange were the only things I missed as minor flaws...That kind of stuff critique is worh its weight in gold if you want to grow as a competition designer...I hope you all have looked back at your arrangements and taken a look with new eyes at what he has told you about your designs and become more mindful of those inate behaviors and placements to further grow as designers...as good as we are we can always strive to be better, and when we do this our jobs will never become boring or stagnant....good job all...well done...

Reactions: RWK and master J
Thank you Lori - This is the same type of thing I endeavor to do whenever I am judging a competition. After the competition concludes.......I try to be in the arrangement viewing area and have the contest chairman to point me out to the competitors as one of the judges and that if they wish to ask me any questions or comments or discuss pointers on the work that was done.......and I freely answer those questions.

Each and every competition I have done, I have sought out the judges and did the same...........even after I earned AIFD.......I still asked "What did I do wrong or What did I do right" There was one time where I won the competition and I was looking for the judges........and one of the fellow competitors told me "Why worry about that....you won". Well, I wanted to know WHY i won......What did I do that pushed my scores to the winning numbers.

The level of artistry displayed in this competition is nothing short of amazing. To be honest, I am awed by the work, especially, since some of it is created by the same masters that I have admired and said more than one time " Oh, If only I could be that good" . I've had the pleasure of seeing both Phil and Cathy do a program and was enthralled by the work and felt so honored to be learning from the masters. Even now........That is a trait of mine that stand true today even after all I have done in the world of floristry.......I am still in awe of the 'great masters'.

Reactions: twiggy
Judges Results from Round 2

Ricky-
Scores for Round Two - Everyday Flowers (67)
Originality - 4
Focal Area - 4
Harmony/Unity - 5
Organization of materials - 5
Scale/Proportion - 4
Physical Balance - 5
Mechanics - 5
Visual Balance - 5
Texture - 5
Form - 4
Line/Rythym - 4
Repetition - 3
Wow Factor - 5
Color - 5
Design basics - 4

Scores for Avante Gardens - Round two (73)
With the exception of a 4 for visual balance and a 4 for line/rythym........Cathy scored perfect 5's in every other category.
Originality - 5
Focal Area - 5
Harmony/Unity - 5
Scale/Proportion - 5
Physical Balance - 5
Mechanics - 5
Visual Balance - 4
Texture - 5
Form - 5
Line/Rythym - 4
Repetition - 5
Wow Factor - 5
Color - 5
Design basics - 5

Scores for Twiggy and Twigs - round two (68)
Originality - 5
Focal Area - 4
Harmony/Unity - 4
Scale/Proportion - 4
Physical Balance - 5
Mechanics - 5
Visual Balance -4
Texture - 5
Form - 4
Line/Rythym - 4
Repetition -4
Wow Factor - 5
Color - 5
Design basics - 5

Scores for Adam and Belvedere Flowers - Round two (73)
Originality - 5
Focal Area - 5
Harmony/Unity - 5
Scale/Proportion - 4
Physical Balance - 5
Mechanics - 5
Visual Balance - 5
Texture - 5
Form - 5
Line/Rythym - 5
Repetition - 4
Wow Factor - 5
Color - 5
Design basics - 5

Carol-

BATTLE OF THE FLOWR DESIGNERS…PHASE II

AVANTE GARDENS………..total points 75
Originality….5
Focal Point…..5
Harmony….5
Organization of materials…..5
Scale …5
Physical Balance…..5
Neatness……5
Visual Balance…..5
Textural appeal…..5
Form…..5
Line and Rhythm…..5
Repetition…..5
Wow factor……5
Use of Color…….5
Design Basic…..5

Again, it is judging perfection. All the elements of design are present; The use of the woven palm leaves take you on a very interesting adventure throughout the piece as you travel through with your eyes and find all kinds of special moments within the design. It is almost sensory overload.

There are many uses of outstanding and unusual techniques present; the kiwi stretches your eyes way up to create drama; the groupings of the different flowers and foliages delight your senses.

This is an arrangement for those wanting to compete to study; the depth, negative spaces, the lines, use of textures, etc. It would be easy to write a sonata about this presentation.

EVERYDAY FLOWERS—black magic topiary…..total number of points 62

Originality…..4
Focal…..3
Harmony…..5
Organization of materials…..5
Scale……5
Physical balance……5
Neatness…….5
Visual Balance……4
Textural appeal……4
Form…….4
Line and Rhythm…..3
Repetition…..3
Wow Factor…..4
Use of Color…..4
Design Basics……4

Personally, I love very structural design work and this is executed very effectively. A very neat and clean design; The pink ribbon band unifies the two areas of design. The two black pins on the ribbon could be more interesting….maybe use more pins to create a design—right now, it just looks as if they are holding the ribbon together;

Love, love, love the tiny touch of curly willow….but, it brings your eye to what could be a focal point and there is nothing there that is special to see after the eye travels into that area. Maybe you could have used several cymbidiums grouped within that area.

Try flexing the back petal of the cymbids to make them more dominate instead of looking like a filler flower…..it would give it a more expensive look.

The bells of Ireland give a very nice contrast of color and texture. Nice work.

BELVEDERE…….total number of points 70
Originality…..5
Focal Point…..5
Harmony/Unity…..4
Organization of Materials…..5
Scale Proportion……5
Physical Balance……5
Neatness/Mechanics…..5
Visual Balance…..5
Textural Appeal…..4
Form, exceptional design principles…..4
Line and Rhythm…..4
Repetition……5
WOW factor…….5
Use of Color……5
Design Basics……4

This design does have the WOW FACTOR. Great use of monochromatic colors. I love the armature you created with the stems of the topiary; the top is beautifully airy and exciting while the bottom is very lush and lovely; well executed

For contest purposes, I would have liked to see a couple more unusual techniques introduced into the presentation; for salability, it is perfect

Instead of using another type of fern in the bottom, maybe use a completely different leaf and texture to create more interest. They were both types of ferns even though they were different. Great work, Adam

TWIGS……total points 56
Originality….4
Focal Point…….4
Harmony/unity…..4
Organization of Materials…..4
Scale/proportions……4
Physical balance……3
Neatness/mechanics…..4
Visual Balance……3
Textural appeal……3
Form….3
Line and rhythm…..3
Repetition……3
WOW FACTOR…….4
Use of Color…..5
Design Basics…..4

I love the basic concept you came up with…. A circle surrounding a sphere; very nice
The base treatment could have been a little more interesting with maybe a small grouping or different texture or color within the types of greens. This would have been a great place to use some new or unusual design techniques.

The focal point is good, the weave of material and the rose petals are a nice touch; it has an old fashioned look with a new design and a delightful use of materials; You have a lot of talent;

You do need to work on the depth perception of the design; from the side it had no depth; maybe you could have improved that by playing with the circled line and moved it around to find a more pleasing place; The line does take your eye out of the arrangement instead of making you stay within it;

Maybe a little more bear grass encircling the orb would have added more interest and maybe some bear grass encircling the base would have worked.

Overall, a very nice piece
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to the judges for taking the time grade our work. :)

It was fun and hopefully next time we can all work together to get our links and stuff working better.

I don't see to much traffic from other blogs except from Belvedere Twigs and Florist Blogs so I think we could do a little better plaining on how to link back and fourth to each other and providing more content on the blog post. I may of made a mistake by publishing our last blog post without all of the pictures and links available.

So I think next time that really need to be in place before we start publishing about the event.

Cathy & adam. If you guys can manage it please provide the links for the Video, Picture and Blog Post and that way when we all start blogging about it we should see some better results from it.

But I do want to share that I did get a customer this week that walk in the store and saw Linhs arrangement still sitting in the cooler and said thats the reason why I came to your store. This was of course after she placed her order and said she saw it on our blog and thats how she found the website. Oh yea it was a party by the way.

So thank you!!!