budget centerpieces. help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
use either an o bowl or a syndicate sales low round. put a candle in the center for a focal point. use leather all the way around the base to give it size then fill in the center with mini carns, spray roses and individually cut dendrobs in her color. i've used this recipe many time and it was well recieved. by adding some dendrobs, you are following her orchid theme but not breaking the bank. depending on the colors, you could add some wax or caspia in her colors. LINDA

Reactions: 1 person
When you have decided on the flowers and containers.....post a prototype picture. Seeing how you are thinking can go a great deal into letting us give you some needed help.

i did a wedding last week, with 31 centerpieces.

two red roses, two white roses, two green carnations, 1 green hydrangea, and one to two hypericum berries

round plastic bowl, three - four LL and one Israeli ruscus.

total COGS, $3.91.

i sold them for $20.

focus on the color, not so much with matching your flowers.

joe

Joe, I don't know who you are buying flowers from-----but I sure want to know!!! How can you get away with a COGS of only $3.92??

I'm just like :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: at Joe's prices. I did buy from flowerbuyer recently but didn't do the auction. I'm guessing that is the secret. I was about 95% pleased with the order btw and the prices were still pretty good, especially the roses.

There have been a lot of great ideas posted, but I was doodling today and, while I'm not sure how all the costs would add up, was thinking about a tall (10" or more) vase with a rim there's a SS 13" ming for about $10. Vase would be rental. Few glass rocks in bottom topped with either a rental battery op pillar candle or cheap white pillar. Lots of pretty ribbons tied around rim and trailing onto table. One stem of dendro's and a couple pieces bear grass glued into ribbon at point where it ties to vase, or just a couple dendro blossoms glued in with a few others glued to bear grass. It would give height and reflective light qualities. If the budget allowed, add 3 roly polys with a floating dendro in each plus three votives to extend the centerpiece outward toward the guests. Stuff sprinkled on table too. There would be some assembly required upon delivery, but there wouldn't be vases full of water to deliver or lots of labor involved.

Am I reading this correctly from their website? The shipping charge is $19.00 per order, not per box? I understand the per box charge - I just want to make sure I'm right on the shipping?

I don't do fedex, I use air cargo, via CalAirCargo (airline broker). Shipping for me costs around $130-$150.

I usually buy around 7-10 cases of flowers.

a long time ago I added up my usual flowers purchase by stems. the total came to an additional 10 cents per stem. Today, if I had to guess, it would be around 13-14 cts per stem for shipping.

shipping via FedEx, is a flat fee of I think $19.xx and then a box fee of something like $13.

Well I've got to say this has been a great thread. All kinds of valuable information. 47 posts on a budget centerpiece...wow! A little side tracking here and there i.e. welcome backs, where's RC, let's do a budget centerpiece contest, how do you submerge a flower, where do you buy flowers that cheap, Joe's valuable cost analysis of how to successfully produce and make a profit off a $32 arrangement and of course diverse and creative design ideas. Thank you everyone for your input. There's no place like FC.:yourock:

Zippo! My brides are very traditional wanting either a glass round or glass cube, glass break-aways and a few galvi buckets here or there. I only rent tall pedestals. Therefore with this budget bride I would buy the bubble bowl (on sale currently at my suppliers) and sell it to the bride.

I've never really gotten into the rental thing for vases. Maybe it is something I should explore. Is it really worth it on a $7 cube? How do you accommodate the guests taking flowers home without leaving a dripping mess in the hotels? What do you charge? I'd be interested to understand this process.

We always rent our glass cubes, tall vases, etc. It is not really a common practice here for guests to leave with the centerpieces, so that's not a problem. We are there for breakdown at the end of the event anyway, so we can prevent that. We charge WELL for breaking down, believe me..we then bring glass ware back to the studio...wash and ready for the next rental. Example: 6x6 glass cube....rents for $7 each..have rented that size for at least 30 weddings so far...so that's not a bad return on the purchase of said 6x6 cube!

Reactions: 1 person
Man, I'm thinking I don't have a chance in this contest cause there is no way right now I can compete with Joe's COGS. I am going to work on getting more competetive in that regard - I can assure you. Thanks for your help Joe.

We have used flowerbuyer for several years and have been pleased with their service. We have never had a rejected order questioned, we send pictures of damaged product and have never been charged for the bad product. You do need to bid keeping in mind the per box charge and the $ 19 per order fee but a simple cheat sheet will help you keep your costs in line. Fedex delivers the product to our door by 10AM. fls

We always rent our glass cubes, tall vases, etc. It is not really a common practice here for guests to leave with the centerpieces, so that's not a problem. We are there for breakdown at the end of the event anyway, so we can prevent that. We charge WELL for breaking down, believe me..we then bring glass ware back to the studio...wash and ready for the next rental. Example: 6x6 glass cube....rents for $7 each..have rented that size for at least 30 weddings so far...so that's not a bad return on the purchase of said 6x6 cube!

Plus you're getting paid to hang around until the end of the wedding, or go back...seems to me like it would be cheaper for the bride to buy the vases and easier for you to just sell them drop off the wedding and get out of there..

Is your bride open to renting the container? That can help with cost. I agree that look at the color not the flower. Even if you use 2 cym orchid blooms, I think you will have trouble coming in on budget with this mix 2 cym, 1 hyd, 2 stock 2 roses, filler in cube. Make the bqt in a handtied and they rent the vases? Just a thought.

Plus you're getting paid to hang around until the end of the wedding, or go back...seems to me like it would be cheaper for the bride to buy the vases and easier for you to just sell them drop off the wedding and get out of there..

I totally agree. For some reason in my market EVERYBODY rents. I always suggest buying the vases, and they give me a look like " what would I do with 10 vases? Are you crazy?"
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. $32 is a good sized centerpeice in little old Logan Utah.

I kind of like this idea of renting but it is a much cleaner deal (especially at the resorts) to just sell the vases and leave the sight. We go back to the resort at 6am the following morning for minimal pickup and I emphasize "minimal." The resorts allow me to return in the morning because the bulk of the flowers have been removed by the guests.

But I think the rental would work well for me when the bride is renting a tent. Set-up and break-down are far more flexible and it is okay for the centerpieces or vases to sit overnight because the table rental people don't come until the following morning to remove the tables, etc...

Here in the Northeast, Brides generally buy the vases...Rental is usually on very expensive items...Like tall vases or pedastals and stuff like that...I couldn't imagine a bride paying my to go back an collect 25 cubes..also here guests are given the flowers to take home...

Here in the Northeast, Brides generally buy the vases...Rental is usually on very expensive items...Like tall vases or pedastals and stuff like that...I couldn't imagine a bride paying my to go back an collect 25 cubes..also here guests are given the flowers to take home...

Totally ditto that! Considering I'm only 100 miles away from you.:poke:
My Brides love the idea that they are giving 25 arrangements to the guests. I'm finding that many of my Brides are choosing break-aways because now three people at a 10-top get flowers --and I charge more for the break-aways than the single cube for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.