budget centerpieces. help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we start a contest like the last one with the dozen roses, see who can come up with the best design for a $30 wedding centerpiece. That would be great fun!

Reactions: 1 person
Why don't we start a contest like the last one with the dozen roses, see who can come up with the best design for a $30 wedding centerpiece. That would be great fun!

I think that is a great idea given the economy and the Bride's ever- shrinking budget. :wide: I'm having a tough time competing because I am not toning down my "floral look" yet my competitors are.

The idea of the contest is actually a great idea and could be beneficial to many.
Doesn't necessarily have to be a wedding piece, though an everyday would be just as good.

As pricing geographically will vary dramatically, I must admit that I'm really intrigued by this idea.

Don't think we can compete with Joe's COG's here in NY.

That's okay. I miss RC's words of wisdom too. Welcome back Joe!

Considering everyone's input, I found this picture in the JH Reception Flowers book. Am I being lame by just slamming a few lilies in this bowl? I'd use an 8" rose bowl. Need to alter the lily colors over the 20 tables or it could look pretty boring. Am I good to go? For those of you who have done this kind of centerpiece, will it add enough substance to the table?
If she is doing colored table cloths or overlays, coordinate the color with those - adding more of the same color adds more visual weight & impact to the overall table setting.

If she's doing white, I like the idea of the rented bowls ... maybe add something outside the bowl as well ... petals, shells, candles, a simple colored napkin if she can't afford an overlay. If she purchases them separately, many reception halls will spread them for her, keeping your budget intact and adding some more visual stuff.

Also, we're doing table pieces for a large event this weekend, and they're mostly greens ... all different kinds. $30 goes pretty far with greenery & twigs in a simple plastic dish ... just an idea if it would suit her style. Personally, I love them - give me a garden full of all greens in different textures & shades & shapes any day ....yum!

What do you have to work with?
Do you have bubble bowls?
Tower vases? What do you already have that she can "rent" from you?

Jennifer

What do you have to work with?... What do you already have that she can "rent" from you?

Zippo! My brides are very traditional wanting either a glass round or glass cube, glass break-aways and a few galvi buckets here or there. I only rent tall pedestals. Therefore with this budget bride I would buy the bubble bowl (on sale currently at my suppliers) and sell it to the bride.

I've never really gotten into the rental thing for vases. Maybe it is something I should explore. Is it really worth it on a $7 cube? How do you accommodate the guests taking flowers home without leaving a dripping mess in the hotels? What do you charge? I'd be interested to understand this process.

i did a wedding last week, with 31 centerpieces.

two red roses, two white roses, two green carnations, 1 green hydrangea, and one to two hypericum berries

round plastic bowl, three - four LL and one Israeli ruscus.

total COGS, $3.91.

I would do a cube or cylinder vase 1 white hydran 3 spider green mums & a single orchid head.

High Rollers! Joe's flowers would cost me $6.85 and Santos' flowers would cost me $10. Sad to say but that's too rich for this bride's budget but I appreciate your suggestions. I think the lilies are the most cost-effective (1.25/stem asiatic) and have good visual impact.

High Rollers! Joe's flowers would cost me $6.85 and Santos' flowers would cost me $10. Sad to say but that's too rich for this bride's budget but I appreciate your suggestions. I think the lilies are the most cost-effective (1.25/stem asiatic) and have good visual impact.

divide $6.85 by 33 pct (.33).

you are well within a profitable margin.

btw, i had support staff green the bowls on Wed. on thurs, I stuck the flowers, in less than 1 1/2 hours the job was done. Greening took about 2 hours. Total labor was well well well below 30 pct.

but that total labor is not what you want to look at. labor on this project was below 10 pct (the cost you would attribute to an individual employees time on a given task).

employee (2 employees, btw) greening's labor cost was less than $60. my time ???? I spent 1 1/2 hours sticking flowers.

It can be done!

joe

p.s. you have no idea how much it pains me to post this second post. ;) that is sort of a joke, but also a mild editorial comment.

However, what really means a lot to me is the pps (below)

pps, thank you for the welcome back ( I am not sure I am back for good, but your comments and green "things" (good lord, I hate bringing those things up) means a lot to me.

You truly lifted me and made me feel very very good today. All the best.

Reactions: 4 people
Zippo! My brides are very traditional wanting either a glass round or glass cube, glass break-aways and a few galvi buckets here or there. I only rent tall pedestals. Therefore with this budget bride I would buy the bubble bowl (on sale currently at my suppliers) and sell it to the bride.

I've never really gotten into the rental thing for vases. Maybe it is something I should explore. Is it really worth it on a $7 cube? How do you accommodate the guests taking flowers home without leaving a dripping mess in the hotels? What do you charge? I'd be interested to understand this process.

oK...Try this..."Mary, I have just the design for your budget of $ 32.00...it will be large enough to not be lost on the table, the colors are elegant and they have a soft fragrance. You can ask the caterer to add some votive candles around them which will create a soft glow and reflect off the vases. Now this price requires that you bring the vases back on Mon...one of the family members can do that for you...we will leave boxes for you under the gift table. Any that are not returned will be charged to your credit card at a rate of $ 7.00 a piece....."
At this point she knows she can add $ 7 more to each table and not have to be bothered or she can go with the return. You can use these vases again and they have now been paid for so Profit is there....we would not go back to pick them up as the charge to do that makes it ineffective for the Bride....
Hope this helps...
Sher

With regards to the submerged asiatics (ala John Henry), we did this exact centerpiece in July for a summer bride. Thank heaven we did a trial early in the week because the asiatic lilies floated. Yes, floated right up to the top of the water. We had to use frogs to hold them down - they cost $3.50 each at Hobby Lobby (our wholesalers haven't carried them for years). Not very cost effective, even as a rental. Also, the frog then had to be mechanically covered so add in extra galax leaves. Even less cost effective. Not trying to present the glass as half empty - just sharing my experience.

Also, the small print in the John Henry book says to transport them with just a smidge of water and fill completely on-site to keep the bowls from shattering. I can see the validity of that - I believe the water pressure would have broken them had we ignored that advice. We did ask the family to remove the contents before attempting to return the rental vases.

Thread drift...I'm glad to be back after a three month absence. The recovery is going OK but I have a new respect for Bloomz and leg pain!

Reactions: 2 people
As far as submerged flowers, another way to do it is to attach a washer to the bottom with some wire and then cover that with a few stones. :)

Spring City,

Teach me! I can't visually get the concept of a stone-covered washer in the bottom of a round vase holding flowers down. Is the washer attached to the flowers in some manner? Thanks for a more detailed explanation - this concept intrigues me.

Rewolf:
You might also consider a simple handtied clutch of open roses, 40 cm, bought on the cheap (usually available at .30 or so each X 12 = $3.60) in a shallow 6 or 8" bowl. Set on a mirror -- surrounded with votive candles.

Al a Martha Stewart Look!! works well -- will achieve the "fullness" you desire, without breaking your budget. Will be very labor effective, and can be done at the shop & transported. (We do it all the time -- and it DOES look fine on 10-top tables!!)

Bubble bowl with floating asiatics looks great also. We use 10" bubble bowls, with 3 asiatics in (the bowls are a rental). We use marbles, or stones in the bottom and just a LITTLE BIT of water to cover the marbles. votives around the outside. A 12" mirror underneath the bowl will make the centerpiece look larger.

We understand that it is not your look.

Part of the challenge we are all facing is that the financial markets have made most 2009 wedding budgets very tight. As one who deals with the "tight market" bride every day, it can be done. It requires that you buy right, and keep your labor to a minimum. (Quick & easy works well).

Monoflowers and monoclors on a table will make a big statement.

To help keep the "perceived" cost of flowers down, we are suggesting that the brides shop for their own votives.....or we write up a separate order for the rental equipment (votives, bowls, etc). So that these costs are not seen as "flower costs".

Good luck....

Cheryl

ps....Joe, glad you are back....missed you a lot! :)

Reactions: 2 people
using a washer to hold down submerged flowers.

ok...The washer is tied to a length of mono-filament line ( clear fishing line ) at one end of the line and the other end of the line is tied around the stem end of the flower.

The metal washer is then placed on the bottom of the container and the flower is bouyant...so it wants to float.....but the length of line prevents it from doing so....so your flower stays at whatever length you measured your line.

small pebbles, stones, gravel, are used to camoflage the metal washer.

-----------------------------------------------------

A method I prefer for submerged flower designs. Start with a tall cylinder....unroll a length of aluminum wire......Take your flower heads and use the wire to wrap two or three times around at random intervals along the length of wire.....then twist and twirl and shape the entire length of wire and blooms into a curvilinear line.....twist the bottom end of the wire into a flattened spiral.....drop that into your cylinder with the spiral on the bottom of the cylinder.....add some pebbles to weight the spiral to the bottom of the vase.....and fill with water.

Now, Anytime you are doing submerged flowers.......due to the flowers transpiration....You will see tiny air-bubbles form themselves along the perimeter of the flower......This is natural as the air in the flowers tissues is slowly replaced with water. I explain to brides that this is a natural process and there is nothing that I can do to prevent the flowers taking on a sparkly appearance.

Trying to undertand this formula...Why would she divide this by .33? Isn't 6.85 the cost of her flowers? That would be about my cost for just the flowers you listed, plus the geens, plus the container, plus the labor. What am I missing? Can you break this down for me?

welcome back!

Joan

divide $6.85 by 33 pct (.33).

you are well within a profitable margin.

btw, i had support staff green the bowls on Wed. on thurs, I stuck the flowers, in less than 1 1/2 hours the job was done. Greening took about 2 hours. Total labor was well well well below 30 pct.

but that total labor is not what you want to look at. labor on this project was below 10 pct (the cost you would attribute to an individual employees time on a given task).

employee (2 employees, btw) greening's labor cost was less than $60. my time ???? I spent 1 1/2 hours sticking flowers.

It can be done!

joe

p.s. you have no idea how much it pains me to post this second post. ;) that is sort of a joke, but also a mild editorial comment.

However, what really means a lot to me is the pps (below)

pps, thank you for the welcome back ( I am not sure I am back for good, but your comments and green "things" (good lord, I hate bringing those things up) means a lot to me.

You truly lifted me and made me feel very very good today. All the best.

Trying to undertand this formula...Why would she divide this by .33? Isn't 6.85 the cost of her flowers? That would be about my cost for just the flowers you listed, plus the geens, plus the container, plus the labor. What am I missing? Can you break this down for me?

welcome back!

Joan

hi joan,

Thirty three pct represents 1/3 the cost of gross selling price.

My point is even using product that costs $6.85, a florist could comfortably sell that product with an appropriate markup of and earn a profit.

In this example the florist has $32 to spend, at $6,85 using 33 pct as your markup (1/3 Cogs, 1/3 overhead, 1/3 labor and @ 10 pct net profit) a florist could sell this unit for $20.76.

Now compare $32 v $20.76. There is profit.

Now, at $32, and $6.85 cogs, Cogs only makes up 21.4 pct of the total price which leaves 78.6 pct for labor, overhead and profit.

at $20.76, and $6.85 cogs, Cogs takes up 33 pct of the selling price which leaves 66 pct for labor, overhead and profit.

joe

joe

Joe! Welcome back! To say you were missed is the biggest understatement of the year!

For budget centerpieces of this sort, we have used low, clear round bowls with floating flowers. This was displayed on a mirror with a few petals, stones, shells, or similar. Your best avenue for profit is to rent the bowls. We charge full wholesale price for the rental. That way, you get your $ back on the first rental, and the rest is gravy (is that too Southern a term?).

Now, you might ask why is my example important.

here is how this type of analysis can help you determine a profitable bouquet v a money loser.

refer to your ytd income statment and find your overhead, labor and net profit and convert it into a percent of Gross sales.

say you have OH at 40 pct of GS, labor say at 20pct. and say you want to earn 15 pct net profit on the $32.00 bouquet. the OH and Labor will be actual numbers that you have incurred.

The 15 pct net profit is your goal and that is a variable number. you can make it any number you want.

so now you have 75 pct of this bouquet costs accounted for in Overhead, Labor and net profit.

Q:That leaves what for COGS?

A: twenty five percent.

With these numbers you can determine how much money you need to allocate to your COGS.

$32 times .25 equals $8.

you now know that you can spend a total of $8 on product to earn $4.80 net profit, given your actual OH and Labor costs and your desired 15 pct net profit.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.